What is Seguin's potential?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What is Seguin's potential?

90% of you will go nuts, but I think this kid has the potential of being as big an impact player as Sidney Crosby.

He doesn't have the pedigree of other superstars and he's unique in that way.  It's the rate of improvement that I'm seeing is just amazing.  The rate at which he is adapting and learning from the rookie games until now is just astounding to me.  Most superstars are identified at 14 years old, but he was unknown at 14 and the talent shot like a meteor since then.

He is fast, and we haven't even seen that much of it yet.  Smart decision making on the ice.  Great vision.  The shot is really fast.  He's not done growing yet.  Consummate professional.

Just look at his first 2 points.  Smokes a Vezina runner up on a breakaway.  Puts a puck on the tape of Ryder for his first assist.

Look at other rookies first goals and assists, yah, there is an Eberle this year, but other than that most first goals are pretty much the garbage variety and not the quality as we've seen with Tyler.

Only time will tell how far this kid goes.  Right now it looks to me that he's going to be one of the great ones.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GNPBruins. Show GNPBruins's posts

Re: What is Seguin's potential?

High mark would be Stevie Y

but I wouldn't mind him becoming another Hawerchuck, Turgeon or Modano.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, but will he still be as fast with this gorilla on his back?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I hope you're right.  To be totally honest, I haven't been that impressed with his seemingly nervous skating style or initiative just yet.  I don't mean that to be a knock at all -- he will grow past that soon I'm sure.  I'm just saying that nothing in the first three games has made me think the considerable hype he already had was insufficient.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Johnnybruin. Show Johnnybruin's posts

I think he is the real deal....potential to be a Yzerman type player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"seemingly nervous skating style or initiative just yet"

I don't see 50-50-100 yet but Tyler knocked a bigger Devil on his butt last night in the corner right in front of the camera with no effort while making a pass Segs has no fear at all. Jumbo and Phillaparazzi were very tentative the first few games or first season for that matter.

The pass to Ryder was Oates like second nature crisp. IMO no coach has ever, ever had to speak to Seguin about initiative sorry Fletch.

50-50-100 I'll wait just a bit longer...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: What is Seguin's potential?:
    [QUOTE]              "seemingly nervous skating style or initiative just yet" I don't see 50-50-100 yet but Tyler knocked a bigger Devil on his butt last night in the corner right in front of the camera with no effort while making a pass Segs has no fear at all. Jumbo and Phillaparazzi were very tentative the first few games or first season for that matter. The pass to Ryder was Oates like second nature crisp. IMO no coach has ever, ever had to speak to Seguin about initiative sorry Fletch. 50-50-100 I'll wait just a bit longer...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw that stuff too, but in the context of comparing him to Crosby (see above) you can easily point out some reasons to be hesitant with that kind of optimism.

He still looks a little nervous to me (and most of the media) and he gets rid of the puck very quickly in most cases, that's all.  I hope he continues to get more confident and creative out there over the season, and then maybe we can talk about Yzerman and Crosby...

For now, he has enough hype already.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, but will he still be as fast with this gorilla on his back?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any evidence of that going on yet.  I would imagine that Taylor has a lot riding on him and that pressure is there for him.

I'm not reading anything that is hyping him - as a current Bruin.  KPD said "not NHL ready" and Milbury said not an impact player.

In large part I want to start this thread to aknowlegde how good this kid is.  And its easy to miss because he is doing so much more than the goal and the assist reflect.  Not a junk goal, not a lucky or 2nd pass assist.  High quality goal.  High quality assist.

There are a billion other threads about some former Bruin claiming he's a 50 goal scorer - and its time to aknowledge Tyler.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is Seguin's potential? : I haven't seen any evidence of that going on yet.  I would imagine that Taylor has a lot riding on him and that pressure is there for him. I'm not reading anything that is hyping him - as a current Bruin.  KPD said "not NHL ready" and Milbury said not an impact player. In large part I want to start this thread to aknowlegde how good this kid is.  And its easy to miss because he is doing so much more than the goal and the assist reflect.  Not a junk goal, not a lucky or 2nd pass assist.  High quality goal.  High quality assist. There are a billion other threads about some former Bruin claiming he's a 50 goal scorer - and its time to aknowledge Tyler.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Meh, consider the source(s). KPD loathes the young'uns and Milbury is a meathead.

Personally, I put no specific expectations on Seguin. I just root for him to be the best he can be, and I'll happily watch his progress, knowing that he's 18 years old and 18-year-olds are an unpredictable lot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

"I'm not reading anything that is hyping him - as a current Bruin"

C'mon man, I've seen a ton of things hyping him.  These boards hype him all the time.

But he should be hyped -- he looks like a can't-miss future star.  I am just responding with some of the hesitancy that I'm sure you expected when you started this thread.

By all means, I hope you're right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is Seguin's potential? : I haven't seen any evidence of that going on yet.  I would imagine that Taylor has a lot riding on him and that pressure is there for him. I'm not reading anything that is hyping him - as a current Bruin.  KPD said "not NHL ready" and Milbury said not an impact player. In large part I want to start this thread to aknowlegde how good this kid is.  And its easy to miss because he is doing so much more than the goal and the assist reflect.  Not a junk goal, not a lucky or 2nd pass assist.  High quality goal.  High quality assist. There are a billion other threads about some former Bruin claiming he's a 50 goal scorer - and its time to aknowledge Tyler.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I'm more interested in seeing him do things that guessing what he might do.  I'd be shocked if he even comes close to the level of Crosby, but obviously would be thrilled. 

So far, he's played three games and has one goal and one assist.  That's all we know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]"I'm not reading anything that is hyping him - as a current Bruin" C'mon man, I've seen a ton of things hyping him.  These boards hype him all the time. But he should be hyped -- he looks like a can't-miss future star.  I am just responding with some of the hesitancy that I'm sure you expected when you started this thread. By all means, I hope you're right.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I don't count these boards, just the paid journalists. 

Oh, another thing about him - usually rookies get croaked with their head down, go to the bench, check their teeth, tell the trainer what month/year it is.  Watch to see if that happens to Tyler.  It shows on ice awareness.

Same thing can happen after a long layoff, like this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bov63RMMIUQ

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Crosby was an impact player on his first year.  I don't think that Seguin will be as good as Crosby even in the long run but if he could be 75% of what Crosby is...well i can live with that!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No, he hasn't shown that he's feeling pressure, but if people start expecting him to be Crosby, well, that's a bit of a monkey for him to repel.  My point was meant to be similar to NAS's - let's appreciate the things he does rather than set an expectation that he'll be a top 5 forward in the league or a 100pt rookie.

Let's also be fair to KPD here - he may have said Seguin wasn't NHL ready back in rookie camp, but more recently wrote a long piece tongue-bathing the kid and saying that yeah, the future is now with him.

And last - not consistently Crosby numbers but 50-50 potential?  Look at Crosby's numbers.  Only once has he been well over 100pts - his second year he was in the 120s.  The last two years he's been 103 and 109.  Splittling the hair pretty fine here unless you mean not consistently in the 50-50 range like Crosby.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]No, he hasn't shown that he's feeling pressure, but if people start expecting him to be Crosby, well, that's a bit of a monkey for him to repel.  My point was meant to be similar to NAS's - let's appreciate the things he does rather than set an expectation that he'll be a top 5 forward in the league or a 100pt rookie. Let's also be fair to KPD here - he may have said Seguin wasn't NHL ready back in rookie camp, but more recently wrote a long piece tongue-bathing the kid and saying that yeah, the future is now with him. And last - not consistently Crosby numbers but 50-50 potential?  Look at Crosby's numbers.  Only once has he been well over 100pts - his second year he was in the 120s.  The last two years he's been 103 and 109.  Splittling the hair pretty fine here unless you mean not consistently in the 50-50 range like Crosby.

I'll go with appreciating what he does now.  A STELLAR first goal.   And a STELLAR first assist.

Not for nothing, but I believe the goal was the GWG, was it not?

ZERO predictability about him.  I jus love watching him.  For entertainment value, he's got to be up there for fans.  TT is also GREAT entertainment, if that kind of thing floats your boat - for what he does, he does a LOT of it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

I'd put Seguins potential close to crosby. I see similarities in the skating game work ethic and skill. Though for Seguin it comes in flashes im sure once he gets more comfortable and consistent you'll see some great things.

Not to mention that he's playing with Ryder-Recchi right now. If he was on the first line and clicking with Krejc-Horton id expect a higher point production from his season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]No, he hasn't shown that he's feeling pressure, but if people start expecting him to be Crosby, well, that's a bit of a monkey for him to repel.  My point was meant to be similar to NAS's - let's appreciate the things he does rather than set an expectation that he'll be a top 5 forward in the league or a 100pt rookie. Let's also be fair to KPD here - he may have said Seguin wasn't NHL ready back in rookie camp, but more recently wrote a long piece tongue-bathing the kid and saying that yeah, the future is now with him. And last - not consistently Crosby numbers but 50-50 potential?  Look at Crosby's numbers.  Only once has he been well over 100pts - his second year he was in the 120s.  The last two years he's been 103 and 109.  Splittling the hair pretty fine here unless you mean not consistently in the 50-50 range like Crosby.
    Whatever ceiling Seguin will reach, it will be easier for him to do that in Boston.  If anyone is talking about a gorilla on his back, imagine what it would have been like had he been in Toronto with our media?

Seguin has started very well and it was probably good for him that Savard was injuried to start the season.  He looks poised and the skill level is obviously there.

It's a long season though.  Sit back and enjoy the ride.  I too, like entertaining hockey and players that make things happen in the offensive zone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Let's talk in a year or 2. 
    So far so good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

[QUOTE]High mark would be Stevie Y but I wouldn't mind him becoming another Hawerchuck, Turgeon or Modano.
    Posted by GNPBruins[/QUOTE]

modano yes, turgeon was too slow,

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco1001. Show marco1001's posts

when i see seguin , i sometime see a future yzerman. This is what i am expecting, no way another playmker, a real gs. I am not certain how natural of a gs he is.  I want him to become a consisten 100 point man and 40g per yr none of this 20-25 g and 60 assists.

Scoring is the most difficult thing to do in hockey

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

With what I've seen from him in juniors and so far with the Bruins (pre-season included) I'd say he has 22-26-48 potential this year, but when he reaches his full potential I'd say he could be a 45-50 goal scorer, and somehwere near Sedin assist numbers.  I'd say at best he's 50-60-110

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]With what I've seen from him in juniors and so far with the Bruins (pre-season included) I'd say he has 22-26-48 potential this year, but when he reaches his full potential I'd say he could be a 45-50 goal scorer, and somehwere near Sedin assist numbers.  I'd say at best he's 50-60-110
    Posted by beantowngm15[/QUOTE]

I was isolating on him through those rookie games and all I'm thinking is - wow - he is such a different player from then.  I find it remarkable how fast he is growing/learning.  The confidence factor is coming up slower, but only slower because in contract to the other stuff it seems slow.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is Seguin's potential? : Yeah, I saw that stuff too, but in the context of comparing him to Crosby (see above) you can easily point out some reasons to be hesitant with that kind of optimism. He still looks a little nervous to me (and most of the media) and he gets rid of the puck very quickly in most cases, that's all.  I hope he continues to get more confident and creative out there over the season, and then maybe we can talk about Yzerman and Crosby... For now, he has enough hype already.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Crosby ?  Nah!  More like a Stamkos.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

After only watching him in the four Bruins games that have been on NESN so far, I like what I see.  Barring injury and/or mismanagement by the team, he could be a franchise player.  I mention mismanagement because I think that the team mismanaged the last player who was supposed to be a "franchise player" for the Bruins, Joe Thornton, by expecting him to lead the team too early in his NHL career. 

Before Big Joe, the last two "franchise players" for the Bruins were Cam Neely and Ray Bourque.  Seguin could be the kind of player that a team only sees once every one or two decades.  We'll have to wait and see.  I hope that the team and fans allow Seguin time to develop fully before they expect him to carry the team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I have been very impressed with Seguin.  I doubt he will be as good as Crosby, who I think is one of the best ever, but I do find him to be Crosby-like.  He moves and plays a lot like an 18 year old Crosby and he seems to have the same desire to improve.