What is Wheeler really worth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

What is Wheeler really worth

Blake wheeler, and his agent, parlayed denial of Phoenix, who originally drafted him, into a free agency sign on with the bruins. Does anyone recall the specifics of how he earned the $2.+ mil for the last two years. Obviously his advisors are trying to use arbitration to get to free agency again. This indicates a pretty big ego vs. the performance we all saw this past year. What happens if and when the Bruins walk away??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: What is Wheeler really worth

In Response to What is Wheeler really worth:
    Blake wheeler, and his agent, parlayed denial of Phoenix, who originally drafted him, into a free agency sign on with the bruins. Does anyone recall the specifics of how he earned the $2.+ mil for the last two years. Obviously his advisors are trying to use arbitration to get to free agency again. This indicates a pretty big ego vs. the performance we all saw this past year. What happens if and when the Bruins walk away??
    Posted by Bogie6

He did not earn 2+ million, he had a base salary of 850k (i believe) and bonuses up to 2.35m.

He did not earn the full bonuses for either season, not sue what he did hit (I would assume games played, top 6 minutes etc. I know he had a bonus at 20 goals for 212k that he did not hit last season.

Most EL contracts carry a much higher cap figure then the players will ever earn, seguins will be 3.5-3.75m but 2m of that will be tied to league wide awards some of it attainable (calder) much of it not, Hart/Selke etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

If the Bruins walk away from Wheels, there's some guys in Providence who can put the bean in the basket.  I'd love to see Sauve or Caron with the big club this season.

That said, I doubt management walks away from a proven NHL 20 goal scorer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Realistically, $1,750,000 per year on a 2 year deal. Renegotiable after the first year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRUINSINSIDER. Show BRUINSINSIDER's posts

Maybe a better question is how much can the Bruins afford to spend on Wheeler?He is going to get around 2 mill per imo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Wheeler wants 2 million and PC countered with 1.5

Decision will probably be 1.8 million. PC will walk away

He has no intentions to keep Wheeler. The guy was a dud last year and the year before that he was pathetic against the Hurracaines. He is at best a third line winger and we are sort of full in that department.

Caron has more grit and is just as responsible on the defensive end. I rather have him try fresh on the third line start of the year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In Response to Re: What is Wheeler really worth:
    Another thought... can they agree to the arbitor award and then immediately trade him? If you're going to let him walk might as well get something in return? COL has a decent team and is under the cap floor currently..
    Posted by bhsreddevil12

I don't think that they can do that.  I read somewhere that if the Bruins accept the arbitrator's award and sign Wheeler, they are not allowed to trade him for the first year of his new contract per the CBA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Wheeler wants 2 million and PC countered with 1.5 Decision will probably be 1.8 million.
    Posted by yaz16

This is the first time that I have read that statement anywhere.  Do you have a link to back that up? 
    Although I was disappointed in Wheeler last season, I would be happy to see him re-signed for under $2M.  Even if that is where both sides are in their negotiations, the arbitrator does not take those numbers into account when deciding on what to award a player, if I read the article that Duinne linked to correctly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wheeler wants 2 million and PC countered with 1.5 Decision will probably be 1.8 million. PC will walk away He has no intentions to keep Wheeler. The guy was a dud last year and the year before that he was pathetic against the Hurracaines. He is at best a third line winger and we are sort of full in that department. Caron has more grit and is just as responsible on the defensive end. I rather have him try fresh on the third line start of the year.
    Posted by yaz16

There isn't a chance on the planet that the B's walk away from $1.8M.  A 20 goal scorer in today's NHL is a steal at $1.8M. 

Your post is full fraudulent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Wheeler wants 2 million and PC countered with 1.5 Decision will probably be 1.8 million. PC will walk away He has no intentions to keep Wheeler. The guy was a dud last year and the year before that he was pathetic against the Hurracaines. He is at best a third line winger and we are sort of full in that department. Caron has more grit and is just as responsible on the defensive end. I rather have him try fresh on the third line start of the year.
    Posted by yaz16

Did this scenario come to you in a dream?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In Response to Re: What is Wheeler really worth : There isn't a chance on the planet that the B's walk away from $1.8M.  A 20 goal scorer in today's NHL is a steal at $1.8M.  Your post is full fraudulent.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Spot on. I would bet he is awarded 2.1-2.2 and the Bruins will keep him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Bruins will keep Wheeler at any price below 3 million.  If Wheeler does not sign for around 2 million, he will be trade bait. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanFromMontreal. Show BruinsFanFromMontreal's posts

its kind of a bittersweet taste when it comes to Wheeler.

he reminds me of a guy we see here in MTL..  Benoit Pouliot.

Players with big frames, durable, fast with good hands.. but with 1 big problem.  Wheeler is 6'5 but he plays like he's 5'6. 

In a all-star game, Wheeler is the guy you want to play with.  in a tough playoff series, youd like him to be  scratched.

He has the potential, but can he add toughness?

I agree with you guys... 2.1 M -2.2 M  / season

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

As a comparison and benchmark (although it was a deal signed and not awarded by an arbitor) Mason Raymond from VAN just signed a 2 year deal today worth $2.5 in year 1 and $2.6 in year 2. To compare them their stats for the last two years are below: Blake Wheeler                  08-09          81GP  21G   24A 45pts 36  09-10          82GP    18 G   20A    38pts   -4 Mason Raymond 2008-2009    72GP 11G     12A   23pts   2 2009-2010   82GP  25G     28A    53 pts   0 It appears as though Raymond is trending up with better stats in his second year while Wheeler seems to have benefitted from the success of the Bruins in 08-09 as well as playing against lesser opponents. Hopefully the Bruins will be able to sign him around 1.7 Stats are from VAN webiste and ESPN. http://canucks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471664 http://espn.go.com/nhl/players/stats?playerId=3961
    Posted by bhsreddevil12

Regular season stats are nice but the playoffs are when it counts.

Raymond: 5 goals in 22 games
    Wheeler: 1 goal in 21 games

There's no getting around that amount of no show. $2million is $2million too much, IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

In Response to Re: What is Wheeler really worth : There isn't a chance on the planet that the B's walk away from $1.8M.  A 20 goal scorer in today's NHL is a steal at $1.8M.  Your post is full fraudulent.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

If the Bs aren't happy with him playing soft, don't have room, and are frustratedwith his single playoff goal, they'll let him walk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddy75. Show eddy75's posts

In Response to Re: What is Wheeler really worth : I don't think that they can do that.  I read somewhere that if the Bruins accept the arbitrator's award and sign Wheeler, they are not allowed to trade him for the first year of his new contract per the CBA.
    Posted by Mutant211

That has been the case with arbitrator awards long before the current CBA. You either accept the deal and can't trade him during the contract year or you walk away making him an unrestricted free agent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Realistically, $1,750,000 per year on a 2 year deal. Renegotiable after the first year.
    Posted by Wheatskins

NHL contracts are non negotiable.

Better question, what if an arbitrator comes in at 2.2m and wheeler refuses to sign?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

recent sighning 2 year $5.1 million

Mason raymond :

2008-2009  GP-72   G-11  A-12  P-23
    2009-2010  GP-82   G-25  A-28  P-53

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

recent sighning 2 year $5.1 million Mason raymond : 2008-2009  GP-72   G-11  A-12  P-23 2009-2010  GP-82   G-25  A-28  P-53
    Posted by skater68

Totally unfair as Mason is trending up and Wheels trending down.
    More than 2.6 I don't like it.
    2.6 I'll eat it, but I won't like it.
    2.4 and 2.5 is just ok.
    2-2.3 I'm happier.
    below 2 and I'm perfectly happy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanFromMontreal. Show BruinsFanFromMontreal's posts

Under 2.5 Million, PC will never let him walk away.

if he does, well good riddance.  its not like Bruins paid big to acquire him.

He had a good 1st year when the team was Best of league, had a sub par 2nd year when the whole team played subpar.  His play does not lead us to believe that he can be that star player/winger the bruins want. 

that'll just give ryder or another young player a chance to prove their worth.

ps.  Watch him be signed by the Leafs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: What is Wheeler really worth : Totally unfair as Mason is trending up and Wheels trending down. More than 2.6 I don't like it. 2.6 I'll eat it, but I won't like it. 2.4 and 2.5 is just ok. 2-2.3 I'm happier. below 2 and I'm perfectly happy.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Wheeler isn't trending anywhere.  He's only played two seasons.  If you want to see an example of a player that is trending downward, check Ryan Malone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: What is Wheeler really worth : Wheeler isn't trending anywhere.  He's only played two seasons.  If you want to see an example of a player that is trending downward, check Ryan Malone.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS,
    I agree, thats the point I try to make with some posters who remain nameless about all of wheelers talents..Potential is there are there flashes of what he could be yes, but in 2 years hes averaged 40 points, with no improvement from year 1-2 its hard to say that yes he will improve.  With no severe decline its hard to say he wont get better.. Really no one has any idea what wheeler will be, he could simply be a 15-20 goal 40 point guy, he could turn into something more..

Look at Ryder, 3 very good years to start his career, but never really improved on them, and Montreal  I am sure is happy they let him walk, and never signed him to a long term deal, but strunng him along with 1 year deals, I would think the bruins will have to treat wheeler the same till they know what they have.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: What is Wheeler really worth : NAS, I agree, thats the point I try to make with some posters who remain nameless about all of wheelers talents..Potential is there are there flashes of what he could be yes, but in 2 years hes averaged 40 points, with no improvement from year 1-2 its hard to say that yes he will improve.  With no severe decline its hard to say he wont get better.. Really no one has any idea what wheeler will be, he could simply be a 15-20 goal 40 point guy, he could turn into something more.. Look at Ryder, 3 very good years to start his career, but never really improved on them, and Montreal  I am sure is happy they let him walk, and never signed him to a long term deal, but strunng him along with 1 year deals, I would think the bruins will have to treat wheeler the same till they know what they have.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Ah think that was my point in my post. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

Contrary to the 2.2, I would go out on a limb and say 1.75mil. The boy has a future, but not 2.2. Let's remember what P.J. did for the Bruins and he only bagged 1.75 near the end of his stint with the B's. This kid needs to earn 2.2. Realisticly lets look at it this way. He didn't sign with the Coyotes to come to Boston. If the boy wants to be here, he needs to earn more respect for that kindah quid.

1 season 1.75mil final answer. Let's not give PC another reason to over pay someone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Contrary to the 2.2, I would go out on a limb and say 1.75mil. The boy has a future, but not 2.2. Let's remember what P.J. did for the Bruins and he only bagged 1.75 near the end of his stint with the B's. This kid needs to earn 2.2. Realisticly lets look at it this way. He didn't sign with the Coyotes to come to Boston. If the boy wants to be here, he needs to earn more respect for that kindah quid. 1 season 1.75mil final answer. Let's not give PC another reason to over pay someone.
    Posted by BeantownBDH

It would be great, but it's unrealistic to think that a 20 goal scorer (which is fair) is going to make that little.  Compare his stats to other guys in that range and then check what they make.  Start with Clarke MacArthur.

Sections
Shortcuts