What is wrong with the NHL?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

What is wrong with the NHL?!

I used to be a big Bruins fan. But after a while I got sick of Jacobs letting all the talent walk. Getting rid of Dafoe and McClaren was the final straw. I had to give up on the orginization for my own mental health. It's kind of like a girlfriend that treats you like sh%t. Now matter how much you love her, after a while enough is enough. Everybody has a breaking point. It was obvious that the Bruins were not commited to winning, to say the least.

Anyway, I've been getting back into it this year and have enjoyed the ride so far. But this Versus network thing is ridiculous. It was bad enough. Now I find out that they've stolen Game 7 from NESN. WTFK?!!! It's the second round of the playoffs and it's not even on a major (or local) network? What kind of bush league garbage is this? Can you imagine the outrage if the NFL made the AFC Championship an NFL Network exclusive? It's ridiculous.

I'm not going to try to follow a team if I can't even see half the games. If they pull this sh%t in the Eastern Conference Finals, I'm done. I just can't believe this. I'm so disgusted right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SullyFromMA. Show SullyFromMA's posts

Re: What is wrong with the NHL?!

The game is on NESN homie... joined in progress by Versus after the Wings / Ducks game ends.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikebruins8. Show mrmikebruins8's posts

there was only 2 games on versus game 2 and 5 how can nesn let them take home games away

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Um, Jacobs didnt let either of those guys walk, they wanted out.  DaFoe chased the money and he wasnt worth it, McLaren DEMANDED a trade.  And Jacobs wasnt the GM when those guys left, MOC was.  Also, like Sully said, NESN is showing game 7 in its entirety.  Maybe your girlfriends treat you like sh*t because you dont pay attention.

Now, if you want to REALLY talk about whats wrong with the league its summed up in two words:  Bettman and Campbell.

Both are buffoons and have no business being in the positions they are.  Bettman is a business man who was brought in to turn the league into a competitor for the 3 major league sports in the US.  Hockey is now below NASCAR and poker in the ratings.  Its obvious he has no clue on how to run the NHL.

Campbell is another clown.  Consistantly inconsistent in his decisions, he cant tell a cheap shot from an intent to injure and he certainly doesnt keep his suspensions or fines the same.  It depends on who the team is first, then who the players are involved.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Most fans who stopped following the Bruins about the time you are talking about , ( maybe 7-10 years ago or maybe earlier in some cases) , went away not because they thought Jacobs was a creep or because their favorite players went away. They stopped following because the team didn't win. Sugarcoat it any way you want , but you quit on your team because you were tired of suffering the agony of defeat.

I keep hearing so many Bruins fans are watching the team again, they are excited again. Well hooray for you, I am so glad you decided to come back on the bandwagon , now that the team has a chance to win again.

Guess what? Jacobs still owns this team. So if your excuse that you are fed up with the owner is to hold any water, then stop following this team or commenting o anything Bruins until there is a new owner.

Don't just jump back on the bus after the team finishes in first place and looks to go deeper into the playoffs than they have in more than 10 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

I QUIT ON THEM 10 YRS AGO BECAUSE I WAS NO JACOB FOOL !!!! NOW, YOU SUGAR COAT IT ANY WAY YOU WANT.. I HAVE BEEN A SEASON TICKET OWNER WITH THE BRUINS FROM 1957 TO 1986 I HAVE SEEN JACOBS BLEED BOTH THE TICKET HOLDERS AND THE PLAYER ALIKE...THE JACOBS AND THE WIRTS FAMILIES ARE THE REASON YOU HAVE THIS FOOLISH UNREASONABLE SALARY CAP ...THE SAME CAP THAT KEEPS REWARDING THE OWNERS AT THE EXPENCE OF THE FAN .. EXAMPLE, HOW DOES A TEAM KEEP THERE BEST YOUNG DRAFTED PLAYERS SIGNED BEFORE ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE WITH A SALARY CAP OF 55, MIL. IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 2 @ AND AVERAGE OF 5 MILL EACH ?  YOU CAN,T !!!  DO SOME HOME WORK ON THIS ONE HOCKEY FANS. WHAT YOU WILL SEE IS THAT THE N.H.L. OWNERS HAVE SET IT UP THAT THESE PLAYERS WILL NEVER PLAY SOLELY FOR ONE TEAMMoney mouth

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

The ONLY thing wrong with the NHL is the TV contract. Its awful and Bettman should be fired just for this issue alone.

The game is better than it has ever been. Its faster, harder hitting and the arenas are exciting to be at. Even some of the guys on ESPN are saying that the NHL playoffs are the best.

I know they say soccer is the best sport in the world, but Hockey HAS to be second.

Tonight will be crazy at the Garden.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Well I'm going to feel pretty stupid if it is on NESN. Somebody at work told me they had moved it to versus. And both tvguide.com and yahoo tv listings have a Red Sox game listed on NESN in the Bruins time slot.

As for the bandwagon comments, you've really got a lot of nerve. Not that I have to justify anything I do to you. But who are you to make assumptions about my behavior? So you stuck around and took the abuse. Whoop-de-doo. That doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

If I was going to lie to impress people like you I would have said I was a Bruins fan all along.

I stood by the Celtics as they morphed into Clippers east. Watched some mediocre and flat out awful Red Sox teams. I stuck by the Pats when they were a laughingstock and into the 90s when they had a ton of talent but still couldn't seal the deal. 

You know what the difference is? None of those teams ever came out and essentially flipped off their fans. None of those teams made it abundantly clear that they could care less about winning a championship. Not to the level the Bruins have. Maybe you've forgotten when Dafoe (one of the best goalies in the league at the time) was holding out to get a reasonable contract and a reporter asked Sinden if his backup was ready to replace Dafoe and Sinden said "No, but he's adequate for what we're trying to do" Or years ago when one of Bruins management made it clear to a coaching candidate during an interview that they were'nt concerned with winnning a title.

I didn't quit on the Bruins. They quit on me- big difference. I stopped watching because of MANAGEMENT not because of the losing. If you need to rip other people down to feel better about being played for a sucker by Jacobs then that's your problem.

As far as Jacobs goes, I don't support him. He will never see a dime of my money. I will not reward him for what he has done to the Bruins. That doesn't mean I can't watch and root for the team and the players.

It's kind of like the Iraq thing. Just because you support the troops doesn't mean you support the war. Get over yourself

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dds4. Show dds4's posts

Maybe fair-weather fans stopped watching. A true fan takes the good with the bad. You can't choose your family and you can't choose the owner of your favorite team. That being said, don't let us catch you wearing a Bruins hat, T-shirt, jacket, ect. You'd be supporting Jacobs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Well I'm going to feel pretty stupid if it is on NESN. Somebody at work told me they had moved it to versus. And both tvguide.com and yahoo tv listings have a Red Sox game listed on NESN in the Bruins time slot. As for the bandwagon comments, you've really got a lot of nerve. Not that I have to justify anything I do to you. But who are you to make assumptions about my behavior? So you stuck around and took the abuse. Whoop-de-doo. That doesn't make you any better than anyone else. If I was going to lie to impress people like you I would have said I was a Bruins fan all along. I stood by the Celtics as they morphed into Clippers east. Watched some mediocre and flat out awful Red Sox teams. I stuck by the Pats when they were a laughingstock and into the 90s when they had a ton of talent but still couldn't seal the deal.  You know what the difference is? None of those teams ever came out and essentially flipped off their fans. None of those teams made it abundantly clear that they could care less about winning a championship. Not to the level the Bruins have. Maybe you've forgotten when Dafoe (one of the best goalies in the league at the time) was holding out to get a reasonable contract and a reporter asked Sinden if his backup was ready to replace Dafoe and Sinden said "No, but he's adequate for what we're trying to do" Or years ago when one of Bruins management made it clear to a coaching candidate during an interview that they were'nt concerned with winnning a title. I didn't quit on the Bruins. They quit on me- big difference. I stopped watching because of MANAGEMENT not because of the losing. If you need to rip other people down to feel better about being played for a sucker by Jacobs then that's your problem. As far as Jacobs goes, I don't support him. He will never see a dime of my money. I will not reward him for what he has done to the Bruins. That doesn't mean I can't watch and root for the team and the players. It's kind of like the Iraq thing. Just because you support the troops doesn't mean you support the war. Get over yourself
    Posted by dafoe[/QUOTE]

I agree that Dafoe was a good goalie for the Bruins. I liked him a lot.

But what's he done since leaving the Bruins? The fact is they were right.

I don't particularly like Jacobs, either. But there's darn little I can do about that. Except boycott my team. And if we all did that , they would move to another city. And , quite frankly , that would s*ck. Bad hockey is better than NO hockey. So I keep holding on ,hoping for the best, This year might not be the best, but's it's been damn good.

I'm proud to be a Bruins fan and I am a Bruins fan whether they finish, first , last or in the middle. I am a Bruins fan no matter whether Harry Sinden,Mike O'Connell or Peter Chiarelli is GM, and I could care less who owns the team as long as they stay in Boston.

Think about all those Hartford Whalers fans , who got their team stolen away from them. Why because they sucked most of the time , so people gave up. Now they are crying because their team has won a Stanley Cup for another city.

So next time you get disgusted , remember Byron Dafoe, and who was right. You or them, before you criticize. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SullyFromMA. Show SullyFromMA's posts

[QUOTE]Well I'm going to feel pretty stupid if it is on NESN.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel stupid, it's ok. They probably have the Sox in the NESN slot because this was an "if necessary" game. Although I believe the Sox are an early game today, but whatever.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

[QUOTE]I agree that Dafoe was a good goalie for the Bruins. I liked him a lot. But what's he done since leaving the Bruins? The fact is they were right. I don't particularly like Jacobs, either. But there's darn little I can do about that. Except boycott my team. And if we all did that , they would move to another city. And , quite frankly , that would s*ck. Bad hockey is better than NO hockey. So I keep holding on ,hoping for the best, This year might not be the best, but's it's been damn good. I'm proud to be a Bruins fan and I am a Bruins fan whether they finish, first , last or in the middle. I am a Bruins fan no matter whether Harry Sinden,Mike O'Connell or Peter Chiarelli is GM, and I could care less who owns the team as long as they stay in Boston. Think about all those Hartford Whalers fans , who got their team stolen away from them. Why because they sucked most of the time , so people gave up. Now they are crying because their team has won a Stanley Cup for another city. So next time you get disgusted , remember Byron Dafoe, and who was right. You or them, before you criticize. 
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. You make some good points. I guess I live in some sort of fantasy world where if we would stop supporting Jacobs he would be forced to sell or change his ways. But you're right, he probably would just move the team. I just got tired of supporting it. I agree that a real fan should stick with his team no matter what. So it was a tough thing for me to do. But I felt like I was helping Jacobs scr%w Bruins fans by giving him money. So I just cut the cord completely  

I've tried to get back into over the years. But they've had so many teams that wouldn't skate or hit. No effort- it drives me nuts. But this team is young and tough. They play with heart and they are fun to watch. 

Over the last few years there seems to be a very slight shift in philosophy. I was shocked when they actually paid Thornton.

I would love to see them win a championship. Obviously it's not going to mean as much to me as it would if I had been folllowing this team all along. I'm just getting to know these players. But it would still be nice.

One thing I still disagree with you on is the Dafoe thing. Yes he was my favorite player. But I was just using him as an example. I don't think talent had anything to do with it. Instead of looking at Dafoe and saying "We can get an 8 million a year goalie for 6 million a year." They looked at it and said "Why pay 6 million for a goalie when we can get one for 1 milllion or 500k and pocket the rest of the cash?" I honestly think Dafoe could have been cybernetically enhanced like the Bionic Man and posted 82 shutouts with a GAA of 0.00 and the Bruins still would have let him walk. To me, it was all about the money and only the money. That was just the way they did business then.

I think they looked at the other Boston teams and finally realized that it could be just as, if not more profitable to field a winner. I'm still a bit skeptical but we will se how the next few offseasons go. It's just really hard for me to get over the Jacobs thing and support a team he owns. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]" They looked at it and said "Why pay 6 million for a goalie when we can get one for 1 milllion or 500k and pocket the rest of the cash?" I honestly think Dafoe could have been cybernetically enhanced like the Bionic Man and posted 82 shutouts with a GAA of 0.00 and the Bruins still would have let him walk. To me, it was all about the money and only the money.
    Posted by dafoe[/QUOTE]

It's always about the money. Sports is a business, but that doesn't mean we can't stll enjoy it. It's about the money with the Red Sox and Manny Ramirez ( although they'll lead us to believe it's not), It was about the money when Ty Law left the Pats and it will be about the money every time a star player leaves town. To be honest , I was p*ssed off when Jason Allison left, he was my favorite player...but again , they knew better than me, what was right and what was wrong.

I am sorry if I came across kind of harsh, but when you start a post off with " I used to be a big Bruins fan..." what did you expect.

Stick with us, and hope for a win. And don't be too concerned about what management does, because, as I've said before, there is really darn little us "sheep" can do about it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

DaFoe was one of the best goalies the Bruins HAD when he was here, in a long time.  However, the fact remains that he WASNT worth what he wanted and he went to a garbage team and a garbage market because they, and NO other team in the league, paid him.  He did NOTHING after leaving the Bruins.  Come on now.

And its not hard to look on nesn.com and see they have the Bruins listed at 8pm.  NESNplus will be carrying the Sox.  Man........why/how can people go on a chat board and complain about stuff thats EASILY looked up? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

It's a free country, whether you're in Canada or the USA, so you can follow any team you like. What I don't get is why anyone would come on here and try to 'convince' others that they shouldn't be following such and such a team. It's pretty weird what you find on these boards sometimes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

[QUOTE]I used to be a big Bruins fan. But after a while I got sick of Jacobs letting all the talent walk. Getting rid of Dafoe and McClaren was the final straw.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually put Talent and McClaren in the same paragraph...that`s something I never thought I`d see!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

[QUOTE]It's always about the money. Sports is a business, but that doesn't mean we can't stll enjoy it. It's about the money with the Red Sox and Manny Ramirez ( although they'll lead us to believe it's not), It was about the money when Ty Law left the Pats and it will be about the money every time a star player leaves town. To be honest , I was p*ssed off when Jason Allison left, he was my favorite player...but again , they knew better than me, what was right and what was wrong. I am sorry if I came across kind of harsh, but when you start a post off with " I used to be a big Bruins fan..." what did you expect. Stick with us, and hope for a win. And don't be too concerned about what management does, because, as I've said before, there is really darn little us "sheep" can do about it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

No problem. You kind of hit a nerve. I hate bandwagon fans and believe in loyalty. But however you cut it, I guess I've kind of become one as far as the Bruins are concerned. But like I said, it wasn't the losing- it would take more than that. I just felt like I was being taken advantage of. 

The Patriots could lose 15 games a year for the next decade and I'd still be watching every Sunday. But if they hired OJ as a running back coach or Mike Vick as a backup QB. Well, loyalty has it's limits.

As for Dafoe, he wasnt looking for Hasek money he just wanted to be paid like a top tier goalie- which is what he was at the time. And the Bruins wanted no part of it. As it turned out, they both misjudged the market and Dafoe got squeezed. It was a strange offseason with a lockout looming.

He wasn't able to stay healthy with Atlanta and that was it. But it's not like the Bruins were clairvoyant and knew that he would be injured or that the market would dry up. They were just too cheap to pay him.

As far as the NESN thing I was told that they had moved the game to versus. It never ocurred to me to check the NESN site- I've never even been there. I checked two sites for TV listings and there was no signs of the Bruins on NESN. Even if I had visted the NESN site I still would have been confused as I wouldn't know which info was current and accurate. So I don't see what the problem is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

[QUOTE]Did you actually put Talent and McClaren in the same paragraph...that`s something I never thought I`d see!
    Posted by Nolakanookie[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?! Maybe he wasn't worth a high first rounder but Mclaren was one of the hardest hitting defencemen I've ever seen in a Bs uniform. Plus Canadiens fans hate him. How could anyone not like Kyle Mclaren?

And I'm not trying to convince anyone not to follow the Bruins. Simply explaining why I stopped following them to Zillagod.