What the hell is wrong with Milan Lucic?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbrown2k. Show sbrown2k's posts

What the hell is wrong with Milan Lucic?

Can someone tell me why this season is nothing like last season for him? Are his inruries not healed? I don't get it. He is a shell of his former self. There is no facet of his game this year that reached last years level. I expected a HUGE year from Lucic. Please advise. 
    And why is no one talking about it? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Re: What the hell is wrong with Milan Lucic?

First things first,  Milan Lucic is what he is.. He was christened as the next Cam Neeley but let's be brutally honest about this. He , so far ..has made his fame as a fighter and not so much as a scoring threat.  He is still relatively young and will eventually grow into a better well-rounded player but in the meantime, he has had a few serious setbacks medically. I can also envision what the coaching staff is dumping in his head..When they put him on the first line, that suggests that their expectations are to make him a scorer when in reality, his goals are more likely to come as a result of slamming someone and then picking up some garbage.
    That expectation may impact his psychie more than we will ever know.. He might be trying too hard to score , failing and getting frustrated.. IMHO, They should let him play his game.. and not burden him with their high expectation of scoring. Sure, he is probably overpaid ( next year $4M) but his value is as an agitator. Stir things up.. get the opponents players looking over their shoulders etc..   I guess we should cut him some slack with the volume and magnitude of his injuries and see where he is next year after fully healing..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

You saw what Lucic did last year ? And not this year. So either he had no talent, was a one year wonder, or he has being playing hurt. Take your pick. It's not rocket science. Believe what you want to believe. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think Big Papi could score 20 goals playing with Savard and Kessel...Lucic was a product of what he played with...he will never be a 30 goal guy...he will never come close to what Cam did.  But if he can chip in 20 a year and pound some bodies he will be a solid young player to build around.  I was never a big fan when he was beating up guys that werent in his weight class or skill set as a fighter...people loved it when he beat Kom and pounded the glass...well those tjings come back to bite you...He already lost 2 fights this year to guys he should be fighting like Orr and Boll...he will soon drop his fight count even more similar to guys like Shanny and Cam...I remember a guy named Owen Nolan who was a forth line fighter when he started with Quebec...he turned out ok...I just don't see the same skill set in Lucic as the aforementioned players...he is a big up and down the wing winger who will hit, crash the net and fight once in a while...

He was never that good to start with...I take him for what he is...probably a 20-25 goal guy, 50-60 pts...Anywhere in your lineup...I'll take that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I don't want to turn this into another Kessel thread.  That has been beaten to death.

But, I think the Bruins had a really good thing with the Savard/Lucic/Kessel line.
    The playmaker, the sniper/finisher and the guy that worked the boards/grinder and got the puck.  I think that line did a lot for the Bruins last year and utilized everyone's skill set and would have been very productive again this year.  Savard has not been the same (injuries mostly), and Lucic has taken a step back. 

Hopefully the Bruins will put together the same combination with the addition of someone like Taylor Hall.

I think we all underestimate what that combination was able to do and it put other teams on the defensive when they were out there.

I'd love to have Lucic and Savard reunited in Toronto (in my dreams, I know)...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Playing with injuries can explain his poor play.  Nothing can justify him allowing Cooke to steamroll Savvy WHILE LUCIC WAS ON THE ICE.  No retaliation then, we would he all of a sudden MAN UP on the 18th???

I always thought this kid was special.  Tough, energy in the playoffs, etc.  His detractors around the league say he only fights guys that aren't really fighters so that he comes out on top every time.  This is why Grapes' comments hit a nerve...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

He's out of shape, and has been since the beginning of the season.  When guys are out of shape, injuries become more frequent and take longer to heal (this has actually been true for the whole team).  I'm not sure what the pre-season training regime was for this team, but whatever it was, it was not enough. 

Whether you want to admit it, or just like blaming Thomas, goaltending from both goalers has kept this team in the playoff hunt.  Team effort seems to be down substantially from a year ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In Response to Re: What the hell is wrong with Milan Lucic?:
    He's out of shape, and has been since the beginning of the season.  When guys are out of shape, injuries become more frequent and take longer to heal (this has actually been true for the whole team).  I'm not sure what the pre-season training regime was for this team, but whatever it was, it was not enough.  Whether you want to admit it, or just like blaming Thomas, goaltending from both goalers has kept this team in the playoff hunt.  Team effort seems to be down substantially from a year ago.
    Posted by everyname

so you think the reason lucic severely sprained his ankle, broke a bone in his hand and broke his nose was because he is out of shape?? What's next, Savard is out of shape and that is why he got his head knocked off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sbrown2k. Show sbrown2k's posts

Thanks for your posts...it appears you really can't pinpoint the problem, but Injuries are a major factor.... and the Lucic/Savard/Kessel line was really special...and fun to watch!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

He is still a kid playing with men. Give him time. It took Cam 4 years to to start playing his game. Why do you think Cam ended up in Boston?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

The Continuous bitching about Lucic is comical and at the same time ridiculous.  The guy is Hurt--- plain and simple.  Anyone who is an athlete that has played any sport at a high level knows that if you have significant injuries throught the course of one particular season it is hard to overcome and get back to feeling even close to 100%. 

For those of you who do not understand this, obviously never played at a high level.  I am not talking about playing in HS-- I am talking about at a college level or professionally.

So stop passing judgement on Lucic-- he will be fine--- next year--- when he is healthy.

For those of you who continue--- GET A CLUE!!!

And for all of you who question Lucic or any other Bruins player about not doing anything about the Savard hit--- the only Bruins player that should have done something is the player that actually saw the hit--- RYDER.   The rest of the players on the ice did not see what happened.  I guarantee if Lucic had seen what had happened he would have reacted.   Just wait until the 18th--- there will  be a retaliation.  My only hope is that they not only go after Cooke but also Crosby.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Lucic is at the same pace as Neely was his first few years.  I'm not saying he will accomplish what cam did but you should give the guy some slack.  Let's wait and see.  If you want to criticize u should pick on Ryder and Wideman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

He will only get bigger, better and faster as he gets older. I remember watching TSN one night and they were saying what a force this kid can be. He's only 21 wait till he is 25 he will be comparable to Neely with fewer goals, maybe a 30 goal scorer. Looch is a determined kind of guy he put in the effort to try to make himself better. As long as looch plays physical and does what he is suppose to do the scoring chances will come. Looch is an absolute menace on the forcheck when he is on his game. He creates so many opposing turn overs and keeps other teams defence looking over there shoulders and alot of them will panic and  force a play. Its just been a hard year on Lucic physically. In the playoffs (assuming we get there) People will eat the words about this kid.

It obvoius i am a Lucicfan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Bigger, yes.  Better, yes.

Faster?  I'm not so sure.......I suppose he can get a little faster, but it doesn't seem to be natural for him.

However, I like Lucic and the only thing to worry about is whether his style of play is prone to injuries and/or body breaking down prematurely.  Also I think you have to rely on others to take on the heavyweights of the league and not leave it to Lucic to do all the heavy fighting all the time, because that too will wear you out as a player and keep you off the ice more than on the ice.

I hope for the Bruins sake he gets back to the form of last year.  This year has mostly been a write-off to date.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

For looch though, its not about getting faster, he's never goingto be a speedster, or a dangler, puck carrier... etc..

Hes got a good shot, needs to work on his hands, speed up his release, etc..

Recchi, bertuzzi, shannahan, thats the players he needs to model his game after.. etc..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeSAvUsF0io

Just look at the 54 second mark of this video!  Enough Said!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from darkside. Show darkside's posts

In Response to Re: What the hell is wrong with Milan Lucic?:
    For looch though, its not about getting faster, he's never goingto be a speedster, or a dangler, puck carrier... etc.. Hes got a good shot, needs to work on his hands, speed up his release, etc.. Recchi, bertuzzi, shannahan, thats the players he needs to model his game after.. etc..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Interesting comparisons, I never really thought of Shannahan before...
    He will continue to work on his skating every year. I watched him as a 17 year-old with the Giants and guys you can't believe how far he's come in 4 years. Let's not forget one of the best players out there right now, Crosby. He was nothing like himself when he had that nasty high ankle sprain 2 seasons ago. Lucic has way to much PRIDE to play like this without being injured.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Darkside,
    I am just thinking people are looking at this skating, and his totals, not realize what can be is stregnths, and what can realistically develop, and being a dominate offensive threat is never going to be his game..

A great powerforward perhaps, shannahan was not dominating games with puck possession, stick handling etc, he was gritty, and in the right spots, and had an incredible shot, (he also logged alot of pp time) and took a while to really develop.. He never put up a 40 goal season till his 6th (and he jumped frm 30 to 50 that year)  but his first 2 season are comparable to looches, slightly better, but the guys a HOF...
    7 goals 26 points..
    22g and 50p.

hes not going to the hall based on his ability to take the defender wide and curl and drag etc...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Milan will be fine and continue to improve as he matures, heals and gets more experience. He is a fearless competitor that is obviously playing in pain because this team needs him. Dobn'tforget that Terry O'Reilly wasn't the most gifted skater either and he carved out a pretty damn good career with grit, determination and effort.. We will all look back at this period a few years from now and wonder why we doubted him..
    On the opposite end of the opposite end of the spectrum is Ryder... that boy needs to be gone and gone fast.. has no balz at all..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Why people still question this guy is beyond me.. Looch hasn't been healthy all year thats for sure and really is out of shape hockey wise and clearly lost his way this season... I am not surprised...  Lets not forget the kid , and that is what he is , is only 21 years old..and he takes on people much older than him and he will lose some battles.... I agree with Local here.. Leave the kid alone..Kid's All Right!!

Sections
Shortcuts