What's sicker, the hit or the response?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

What's sicker, the hit or the response?

First of all the debate whether it was an elbow or a shoulder is irrelevent.  It was an intentional hit to the head and deserves a suspension as such.   I think the ruling should be a 5 minute major, game suspension and review by the league for further discipline.  The shoulder pad is as much, if not worse, weapon than the elbow pad.  I didn't see the game but saw the highlights and it sicken my stomach to see Savard taken out on a stretcher with neck support.

All head shots should be treated the same regardless of how it took place and doesn't belong in the game.

Secondly, the debate about it being 5 minutes left and the Bruins needing the win more then risking a penalty to retaliate on the hit is bogus.  I don't blame the players on the ice at the time, because they were following the play and probably didn't see what happened.  But the players on the bench saw what happened and the Bruins should have sent a message next shift out or at least when Cook came back on the ice.

The fact that they didn't is a question of character (or lack of).  It's sad for a team that has a history of grit with the likes of O'Reilly, Jonathan, Wensink, McKenzie, Neely etc...doesn't respond when their best player is taken off the ice on a stretcher.  I don't want to hear about excuses of a pinky finger injury, or being on coach's order to not fight or whatever other excuses that are coming thru this forum.  You stand up for your players or you don't.

I vividly remember a playoff game against the Kings in semifinals the year the Leafs should have gone to the finals except for a blown call by the worst referee in the history of hockey (Fraser).  Gilmore was nailed crossing the middle by McSorley (a tough customer back then) and it wasn't even a head shot, but Wendall Clarke dropped them right away.  That was the playoffs (semifinals) let alone 2 points in a regular season game.  You stand up for your best players always!

SC$#W the 2 points, how far does this team go without Savard in the lineup?  They score 1 or 2 goals a game with him in the lineup.

This isn't Bruin hockey anymore.  Blame the coach or the GM or the players on the team, but this isn't Bruin hockey.

At least with the Leafs I see grit and a bunch of young players playing hard every shift.  I don't see that with this team, which is more talented and in the hunt for the playoffs.  Even the Leafs (or I should say the Toronto Marlies) outplayed them last time out in Boston.

Another sad season when the Leafs don't make the playoffs (again) and the Bruins (my next option) don't have a team worth watching even if they make the playoffs.

I'm happy the Leafs acquired Kessel (although they overpaid) and I hope it translates in helping the Bruins land Hall, but after that they need to draft some players that bring some grit back into this hockey team.  I've been a big supporter of Chara, but now I'm beginning to wonder (even Phaneuf dropped them to engage that goon Hartnett on the Flyers).  Lucic, I give the benefit of the doubt for now because he's still a kid, but someone has to step up and protect the franchise players.

For all those CJ supporters out there......what kind of coach doesn't tell his players to respond to a dirty hit on their franchise player? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: What's sicker, the hit or the response?

Even if you don't respond with a fight at least hit as if you were angry.  The two points are worthless if your "Team" is duly affected by the loss of their best player for a couple weeks at least. No response is not acceptable. 

What gets this fan is Thomas was run into in the next two minutes with a tepid response!  

If the player was Crosby not Savard, I can guarantee the penalty would have been called simply by the fact he was on the ice unconscious.  What the Bruins received was a reply by the referee that Cooke was finishing his check after Savard shot the puck.  Wow!?   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: What's sicker, the hit or the response?:
    Even if you don't respond with a fight at least hit as if you were angry.  The two points are worthless if your "Team" is duly affected by the loss of their best player for a couple weeks at least. No response is not acceptable.  What gets this fan is Thomas was run into in the next two minutes with a tepid response!   If the player was Crosby not Savard, I can guarantee the penalty would have been called simply by the fact he was on the ice unconscious.  What the Bruins received was a reply by the referee that Cooke was finishing his check after Savard shot the puck.  Wow!?   
    Posted by islamorada

I agree, was talking to a buddy this morning and with the rules a fight may have been to much at that time with points at a premium.. But even the small scrum after could have been more then that.. 2 minutes for roughing etc..

Also though I do think in part was the fact that most of the players were concerned.. with out having seen the hit as it occured (i am sure someone on the bench got a clear view) but both sides are concerned no one is looking to see that...It was a dirty elbow, but cookes not a dirty player..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

What really bothers me is how they talk to the media, it's frustrating to say the least to see people just give these staged rehearsed anwsers.  "You know we're really concerned you never want to see a guy go down we really care about each other, blah blah blah".  Atleast speak your mind, and say "that was a BS hit we didn't see it on the ice, we had a game to win and we'll remeber it next time around."  That would be respectable...Or Ryder hitting cooke since he had the best view apparently blocking the ref...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollslayer. Show trollslayer's posts

Both

There is no place for hits like that in hockey, and then to get away with it, with at least 3 refs in the same area, and dont even call a penalty..

The other is the non-responsive Bruins not to kick the *hit out of this guy. It doesnt begin here either. They didnt do anything when richards hit bergeron! They better go out and do something the next game, or Ill lose respect of this team.

Sections
Shortcuts