wheeler benched

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikebruins8. Show mrmikebruins8's posts

wheeler benched

this kid needs to sit for a few games to understand the game cause he's stinks right now and has for awhile

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: wheeler benched

Can't say that I disagree.  It is baffling how someone so big can play so small.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MiesterBruinmaker. Show MiesterBruinmaker's posts

So he's not benched then?

You may want to change the title of this before it gets deleted.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpeat. Show soxpeat's posts

With Krejci playing so well, it's tough to imagine that Wheeler has been pointless for so long (7 or 8 games?).  Same thing happened down the stretch last year when Wheeler couldn't get anything going.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Ryder should be the one benched

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MiesterBruinmaker. Show MiesterBruinmaker's posts

And if young players like Milan Lucic and Blake Wheeler, the league's smallest 6-5, 205-pound winger, can't drum up the hunger to make an impact in a game like that one, then when?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/allan_muir/03/19/bruins.wisniewski.notes/index.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Another example of a players lack of character and heart ignored by this GM.
    What else can be expected from an ivy league lawyer?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Ryder has been better then wheeler, the 2 on one last night is a great example.. Perfect pass for a touch in goal and wheeler didnt get a stick on it or show that much effort, there where also several nice hits by ryder that lead to turnovers..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Plenty of teams lined up to chase Wheeler, so I don't fault the GM for signing him.  And he played his way onto the varsity last year when he was ticketed for Providence.  I thought he should have started this year with the P-Bruins.  His preseason and first 10 games would have meant a ticket to Prov. for sure if he'd played there last year.

Ultimately, this is a depth issue.  Years of bad picks and dealing younger players for older guys to support The Problem means the Bruins haven't left a potential top six/top four guy to develop in Providence for ages.  Krejci and Rask are the exceptions that prove the rule.  They're just getting to the point where you think maybe Caron and Colborne will have to earn their way onto the team by beating someone out.  Like Wheeler.  Or Ryder.  Or both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

now we know why Phoenix didn't sign Wheeler....  the b's should do the same following this year....  he's been invisible since December 2008....  i can still remember the goal he scored in St.Louis last season where he undressed the whole Blues team inside their zone before scoring a goal....  at least if he put his size to good use instead of playing like the friendly giant....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Phoenix didn't sign wheeler because he refused to sign with them. Plain and simple, they offered him the most they could which is more then boston could pay him..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Wheeler blew off Phoenix, he'll blow off Boston. I think he's gone after his deal is up and thats fine with me.  He's a  soft underachiever.

Like Ryder.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

ill give wheeler the benefit of doubt that he will get better....its his 2nd season & you can see the skating skills & overall talent the kid has....it just a matter of time & confidence......julien is not the easiest coach for a young kid to play for & develop under...he has his demands on how the game is to played...between that & just the natural maturation process of young talent it can be quite overbearing....honestly what young kid has benefited, developed to the skills & talents that you see in them? i would say 1,bergeron! who is a special 2 way talent in himself....krecji who has been playing well lately,lucic,sobotka,wheeler have all struggled in their development....as for ryder? my god can you mishandle & mess up more plays them him?  hes done in my eyes & if julien was smart he would get him away from krecji & form a line that could spark this team goin into the playoffs with krecjis new found game   lucic-krecji-wheeler?   finally after 70 games we dont see ryder on the PP anymore   finally!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I don't think anyone can seriously question Wheeler's heart and desire - the kid works hard, has been consciously planting himself in front of the net for the latter part of the season (a la Recchi), and has made some great plays with Krejci.

Looks to me that his problem is that he often tries TOO hard - the old "squeezing your stick" stuff. When he played well last year (and at times this year), he was obviously relaxed and enjoying himself. Now he seems more like "If I don't score here, I'm going to kill myself!" Krejci actually said a couple of weeks ago that he was having the same problem, and finally started to play better when he told himself to relax.

It's a difficult line to walk, especially for a young player.

And yeah, he's not going to crunch bodies - that's not his game. Neither did Peter McNab. What he CAN do is make himself difficult to shift around the net, as McNab often did. And he's been consciously working on that.

Benching him isn't going to help. He's working hard, and the only place he's going to get results is on the ice, not in the press box.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Wheeler is a decent prospect but he needs to be more physical. I know it's not his game but even on the PP they take it away from him. They know they just have to hit him and he loses control. 

RYDER is the one that needs benched. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Re: wheeler benched:
    I don't think anyone can seriously question Wheeler's heart and desire - the kid works hard, has been consciously planting himself in front of the net for the latter part of the season (a la Recchi), and has made some great plays with Krejci. Looks to me that his problem is that he often tries TOO hard - the old "squeezing your stick" stuff. When he played well last year (and at times this year), he was obviously relaxed and enjoying himself. Now he seems more like "If I don't score here, I'm going to kill myself!" Krejci actually said a couple of weeks ago that he was having the same problem, and finally started to play better when he told himself to relax.   It's a difficult line to walk, especially for a young player. And yeah, he's not going to crunch bodies - that's not his game. Neither did Peter McNab. What he CAN do is make himself difficult to shift around the net, as McNab often did. And he's been consciously working on that. Benching him isn't going to help. He's working hard, and the only place he's going to get results is on the ice, not in the press box.
    Posted by duinne

I like the reference to McNab. No doubt he's struggling. I hope he responds. The kid worked hard in the off season, and needs some work still. I don't know what his contract status is, but if the B's don't give him the benefit of the doubt, some team will.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

not sure how talented he is. good 2 way player OK skating and no hands around the net.

i think he would be better suited as a 3rd line checking center who can score 20 goals, 50 points a season. like staal in pitt. this team needs a big center.

the sad reality is with out savard and a legit 1st line winger most of these current players are playing roles they arent suited for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Wheeler has flashes of brilliance from tiume to time and then disappears for a lot more of the time.. Is too easily seperated from the puck.. isn't a physical player and does not use his size to his advantage.. For him to be the impact player we thought we were getting, he will need to add some offseason bulk and play at a higher level physically. That element will buy him space that he doesn't get now because as previous posters stated, all you have to do is hit him and he loses the puck.. I do believe he works hard and that he has good speed and hands.. If they can get some bulk on that frame and he can get confidence with that bulk, I think that will allow his game to grow... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikebruins8. Show mrmikebruins8's posts

well if you dont think he needs to be sat down then who can tell m e why he passes back in to the def in the off zone when there were 2 red shirts there that led to a break out and earlier he passed it back in the def zone that led to a good scorering chance both saves by rask