Wheeler contract???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raybruin. Show raybruin's posts

Wheeler contract???

I am a first time blogger on this site and want to sayhello to all Bruin fans in Beantown. I've been a long time Bruins fanatic and have been through all the highs and lows. All this while living in Montreal all my life.

My question is this, I've been really wondering why Wheelers contract is so high for his first NH season. It just doesn't make sense. Don't get e wrong, I love the kid but 2.85 million ????

Please help me understand this.

Go Bruins Go, see you in the playoffs !!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cjlasko. Show cjlasko's posts

Wheeler contract???

Wheeler doesn't take home 2.85 mil, it's an incentive laden contract. When/if the CBA is extended by the players union his cap number will come down, because of a quirk in the system teams are stuck for the max cap hit on an incentive based contract, Kessel's contract is similar.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dooby275. Show dooby275's posts

Wheeler contract???

I think it is because he was a top ten pick a few years ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Wheeler contract???

Once the NHLPA signs on to the current agreement for another 3 years Wheelers cap hit will go down to his base salary which is around $800,000. His bonus are counting against the cap this year because there is a possibility of the collective barganing agreement being rejected by the players (which does not look likely). The current agreement has a clause that allows team to go over the cap with bonuses and have them count against next years cap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raybruin. Show raybruin's posts

Wheeler contract???

Thanks everyone for the knowledgable answers. It finally makes sense to me. Just sucks that there is so much cap space being taken for a 1st yr player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raybruin. Show raybruin's posts

Wheeler contract???

[Quote]Wheeler doesn't take home 2.85 mil, it's an incentive laden contract. When/if the CBA is extended by the players union his cap number will come down, because of a quirk in the system teams are stuck for the max cap hit on an incentive based contract, Kessel's contract is similar.[/Quote]

But Kessel'ssalary is only taking less then 1 million on the cap. Why the difference ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

Wheeler contract???

Kessel's cap hit is 2.2M

Sections
Shortcuts