Wheeler

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsin2010. Show Bruinsin2010's posts

Wheeler

Sick of seeing Globe writers, especially Fluto trying to sell us on Wheeler being so important.   Read Fluto's blog to see what I mean.   He gets way too much ice time and doesn't produce.  Time for him to go while he has any value left.  Truly not worth the cost and not a core player needed for the future.

Sure he doesn't hurt us defensively but not worth over 2 million for that.

Sorry don't mean to be a downer on a good night, just annoyed.

By the way, Thomas looks great.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDecision. Show TheDecision's posts

Re: Wheeler

Wheeler had another lackluster performance tonight.  We keep thinking Ryder is going to be traded/dumped to Providence...but I still think we will see Wheeler/Hunwick/Paille be traded or get sent down

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Jordan Caron is now the only player on the Wheeler-Bergeron-Caron line to register a point.  Three games - goose eggs for Proud Mary and Bergeron. 

Actually, that doesn't concern me as long as they're winning.  What does make me worry a bit - the defense has registered a combined 2 points.  The...entire...d-corps.  Eggs for Seidenberg, Hunwick, Ference, and Stuart.  1 assist each for Chara and Boychuk.  Cam Fowler?  2 assists.  This concerns me only because last year's offensive struggles had a lot to do with the drop in scoring from the blueline.  I hope to see this change.

On the other hand - Chara is the only D who isn't a + player, and Stuart and the much-maligned Ference are both +2.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDecision. Show TheDecision's posts

It's only 3 games so it's hard to judge how our defense really is...if the trend continues to about the 15th-20th game...then you will see a trade/move and you can start freaking out. 

Bergeron is going to be just fine...if Wheeler would do something on his wing things would be better...but it's hard to get points when you are playing with a player who doesn't drive to the net and a rookie who is still learning the game...we should be ok though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Wheeler seemed to be suffering from Paille syndrome tonight; his hands got worse the closer he got to the opponent's net.  Still, it's only three games in.  As with the defense, I'm willing to give Wheeler until sometime next month before I give up on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

yeah I think it is also a little too early to call out the D.  They have been MUCH more active in the offensive zone than last season, an the forwards seem to be doing pretty well in covering defensive duties when Ference Boychuk or Chara go for the goal.  Good stuff, me thinks.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Wheeler was instrumental in the Caron goal. He gained the zone, held it up, picked out Chara for the initial shot and showed a bit of hussle in the slot so NJ could only clear as far as Boychuk. He made a contribution even though he didn't end up with the assist.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I'm just about ready to hit the panic button on this season!!! Yeah right, the Bruins looked great last night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler:
    Good.  So, I'm not the only one who's already got his finger hovering over the "Kick Wheeler In The Rear" Button. He looked clueless tonight.     
    Posted by ipot

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

As I see it the kid ran out of steam his first year and has not been able to get it back. We expected too much, I was hoping for more but now feel he will be sent down when Marco comes back. He must be feeling the pressure and it will be interesting how he deals with it.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Wheeler seems to be playing with more effort, but, has yet to put a shot into the goal rather than into the goalie. Granted Bergie's line usually pulls duty against the other top lines, and Bergie is doing his job and tutoring Caron, so, wheeler just has to step it up or he , along with Paille, Hunwick and Ference will be elsewhere. Sturm should fit in very well with Bergie and Caron.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I think Wheeler is a smart responsible player who is over rated on the offensive end and it loosing confidence in that part of his game.  I think ideally he might be a third line center with his tendency to pass first and awareness on the defensive end.  I used to strongly believe that he would be a 30+ goal scorer but think that idea was pumped up by that great season the B's had two years ago.  I'm not a Wheeler hater as he rarely makes mistakes that cost the B's, it is however hard to watch a player with his the size, strength, and athleticism not contribute to the offense. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I also think Brick had some good points last night talking about the responsibility of the B's forwards opening up the ice and allowing the D men to push the puck.  It might have just been one game against a tired team with defensive problems, but its worked well for the B's in the last two games.  Wheeler is certainly part of that responsible crew.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I think Wheeler is a smart responsible player who is over rated on the offensive end and it loosing confidence in that part of his game.  I think ideally he might be a third line center with his tendency to pass first and awareness on the defensive end.  I used to strongly believe that he would be a 30+ goal scorer but think that idea was pumped up by that great season the B's had two years ago.  I'm not a Wheeler hater as he rarely makes mistakes that cost the B's, it is however hard to watch a player with his the size, strength, and athleticism not contribute to the offense. 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

That's exactly it,  everyone had big expectations from him.  I have yet to see him make mistakes that cost the Bruins goals.  I think he played okay last night . Especially one shift where it looked like they were in the Devil's zone for over a minute. This just after that line was on the ice for Caron's first.
    That brings me to what BookBoy mentioned ,  offence from the D men.  I think the coaches are aware of this as I've never seen Chara all of last season go to the front of the net (during the game and not when they pull the goalie) as he's done so far in the last two games.  Even on Caron's goal it all started as Wheeler sprung Chara one on one with Brodeur.  They must be working with the D to help up offensively.
    Another reason why I think the D on the Bruins haven't contributed on the point sheet has to do with that horrible "Powerplay" . Chara while has the big shot and belongs on the PP is not a good puck mover, setup man,  that's what the Bruins are missing or maybe is in development ? 
    BTW on Caron's goal I'll give credit to Boychuk for putting the puck hard on net  ,  how many times last season the puck would go "Wide" . Caron does not score that goal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    I think Wheeler's a center, not a wing.  He seems to be better at setting up plays than scoring.
    Posted by Ergoetal

I agree.  He doesn't have good finish.  I'd even say Sturm has better finish..  But he's a better playmaker than Sturm.  And showed he can play the pivot position in preseason.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

I don't think that Wheeler will get sent to Providence unless his game gets far worse than it is now.  There is no way that he would clear waivers.  Another team would snap him up.  If a team had the cap space, it would be hard to pass up a 6'5" third year pro with that much potential at $2.2M. 

The only way he leaves Boston this season is via trade.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

SEGUIN        KREJCI          HORTON
    (scoring line)
    LUCIC        BERGERON        CARON
    (shut down line)
    RECCHI        WHEELER        RYDER
    (deserve each other line)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wheeler was instrumental in the Caron goal. He gained the zone, held it up, picked out Chara for the initial shot and showed a bit of hussle in the slot so NJ could only clear as far as Boychuk. He made a contribution even though he didn't end up with the assist.
    Posted by Kurako

I'm not a big Wheeler fan but he was everything on that first Caron Goal agreed. The two previous shifts Blake played really well. After the goal the rest of the game he was a little lack luster what happened to that shaving cream (Edge) ?

PC and Julien have another love affair (Hunwick and Ryder) with a project. If Wheeler and one of Boston's four 1st 2 round 2010 picks could get a more offensive Dman I'd pull that trade in a heartbeat then bring Sauve up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Where's Stanley?  I thought this would be a siren call....

Mutant's right - Wheeler would get claimed, even at $2.2M, and if he wasn't claimed going down, he'd certainly get picked up for 50c on the dollar.  $1.1 and you control his rights?  Someone's going to take that bet.  So sending him down means watching him walk for very little return if any.

Seems to me Wheeler's been better, just not productive.  And better is definitely a relative term, but we'll see how long this upward trend lasts.

I disagree with the idea that he should be a centre.  He's an awful passer, just awful.  Honestly, that feed to Chara on the Caron goal?  I'm convinced it was meant for Bergeron.  Went a foot behind him and you can see Bergeron start to reach for it as though they'd made eye contact.  Wheeler's no passer, but he doesn't have the big shot, either.  He's got to move his feet and use his reach to be what he can be - a poor version of Dave Andreychuk with way more speed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Agreed that Fluto is Wheeler's press secretary.

I think that "potential" is no longer relevant.  The lack of physical play thing was made abundantly clear to him, obviously through the arbitration hearing.  From what I've seen of him taking the body, it's too contrived.  He's hitting for the sake of hitting.  He just doesn't know how to apply it right.  Even tho I don't like Ryder, now that he's taking the body, he does it effectively, or well... as effectively as a player his size and natural level of aggression can.

So -
    a) Wheeler just doesn't know how to hit effectively.
    b) Again, the lack of agression, lack of puck pursuit and the willingness to sacrifice the body I believe are issues.  Last night I saw a golden opportunity for him to dip his shoulder down and drive to the net and instead he took a lame shot.
    c) I think he's slow on the uptake, just a really slow learner.  Just like another U of Minnesota guy, seems to take forever to figure out what the right thing to do is.  (is it something in the water??).  I think that's whats behind issue b, it's not that he's a coward, it's just that he hasn't figured it out yet.
    d) given (c), it's going to be 4-5 years into the league before this "potential" is realized.  Patience I wouldn't have as that's a long time to wait before you see what the true reward is.

He's going to be better than what he is now - eventually - but how long?
    And just what is the potential and is it worth waiting for?

I see him as a good fit on a team in rebuilding mode with lots of physcal players that can cover that aspect of the game for him.

I don't see him as a good fit on this Bruins team, that has a fair amount of skill, but could use more of a physical presence.

My catch phrase:
    Deal the Wheels.

Or at least that's my catch phrase until he plays really really well.  Then I'll jump on the band wagon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

@Kurako So does that mean, he should make over 2 million?  So far I see Ryder as earning his spot more than Wheeler.   He gets higher negatives because he has such great size.  He is also more tradeable than Ryder now.  If he was on his rookie contract I would be more patient, but not when there is a cap issue.
    Posted by Bruinsin2010

I was trying to point out that though Wheeler didn't get a point he had a beneficial impact on the game. I don't think he's a stud player or untouchable any more than I think he's a bum.

Who knows when the cap crunch will come. Savard is out for an undetermined time and even though Sturm is supposed to come back in November it's not written in stone.

If he gets dealt for the good of the team then that's fair enough but I say wait and see how things pan out. Wheels obviously thinks he's worth more than the 2.2m that the arbitrator awarded so let him prove it over the next couple of months.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Wheeler is the Hal Gill of forwards... a guy with size who will never learn (or be willing) to use it to its best advantage.

In reference to what BookBoy was getting at, it's telling that the "impact" Wheeler had has to be traced back 3 or 4 plays prior to the actual goal being scored.  Guys bring the puck into the zone all the time - do they ALL get as much credit as Wheeler did on that first goal?

It's much like giving every kid a trophy for participating.  When he learns to pass accurately and accept passes without them popping off his blade, when he starts hitting the goalie and not the boards behind the net, and then - finally - when he starts putting the puck in the net... then, and only then, can we say he's worth anything.

Hopefully, when that day comes some time long into the future, he'll have been long departed from the Bruins roster.

Might not be his fault that expectations were too high - but this is now the second season removed from a relatively impressive year.  Time to evaluate what he is not what he might become.  Trade him now before his value drops even more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Wheeler is the Hal Gill of forwards...
    Posted by BuzzardBoots

Ha ha. Not a bad comparison. A player who failed to live up to big expectations but became a reliable depth player. Hal was flat out of luck being in Toronto all those years but he struck gold when he moved to Pittsburgh and won the cup. He also went to the conference finals last year with Montreal. Did he do it all himself? No of course not. Was he a piece of the puzzle? Yes.

A winning team needs it stars to do well to give it a chance of winning and depth players to make a contribution without screwing things up too much.  The Bruins have got a pretty good balance so far this season. The top line is doing its bit, the rookies are doing well and the depth players are chipping in.

PS Hal Gill is making 2.25m this season according to nhlnumbers. Not bad for a 35 year old playing hockey, huh?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    I'm convinced
    Posted by Bookboy007

Hey Book, fabricating examples is just as bad as bad passes.  =)

Sections
Shortcuts