Wheeler's bad habits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Wheeler's bad habits

In reading the posts from those who went to Bruins camp, the comments about Joe Colborne seem to mirror the performance of Blake Wheeler. Could it be that the college rules and protectionism fail to prepare fully for NHL play?? Perhaps much of Wheeler's habits, ingrained in college, need to be exorcised. Can an NHL coach change how a college-bred player performs?? or do we expect too much?? Unless pre-season shows some change, the best for Joe Colborne would be time in Providence to learn how to hit as a habit. How can we add this skill to Wheeler??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Wheeler's bad habits

You can't teach aggression.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

1) bim is right, you can't teach aggression, and you can't teach hunger.  And both are lacking in Wheeler's game as well.

2) I wouldn't say its college hockey in particular.  It is weird how some guys can look so good in college and jrs and not translate into the NHL at all.  It is also weird how some guys put up certain AHL numbers and turn around and put up those same numbers in the NHL (defensemen mostly), and how some guys seem to do better in the AHL than they did they minors.

And look at Boychuk, his rise in the last 2 seasons have been off the charts IMO considering his age and all the time he was pretty average in the AHL until he arrived in Providence season before last.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler's bad habits:
    You can't teach aggression.
    Posted by bim09

Exactly ! ....it would be good if a GM would be able to recognize these red flags and avoid this type of player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I disagree that you can't teach aggression.  It's just not easy and it's usually not pretty because you have to break down the player's ego and get into his kitchen.  Basically, you get through the ego so the player doesn't take that tiniest fraction of a second to think about whether something that advances the team goals is going to hurt, and you get in his kitchen so that any remaining fear is of you - either of you directly or of letting you down. 

So much of this is between the ears.  Habits are what you do unconsciously - the repetition of things that you associate with good results.  You have to be capable of consciously choosing to do things differently if you want to create new habits.  Half of that is desire, so really, this is a question of whether or not Wheeler wants to get better or thinks he's got it all figured out.  Badhab - same thing for what you're talking about.  There are plenty of Jr players or college players who look lights out, who can skate and shoot and handle the puck or take the body or break up plays.  The problem is, the things they habitually rely on to be successful aren't always going to work - especially if they count on being stronger, faster, or more physically gifted than the competition.  When they get to the pros, they have to be able to adapt their games. If they don't have it between the ears, they lose confidence rather than find ways to improve and add new wrinkles to their game - or learn to do the same things, but at the higher pace needed in the NHL.  It's not book smarts, it's that predatory sort of mindset that lets you recognize why something isn't working and, through trial and error, overcome that factor or find another way to get the job done.  Think, also, about older players who lose a step.  They either have to find another way to be successful, or they fade into the sunset.  Recchi's a great example of a guy who used to be a very dynamic player who now concentrates his efforts on scoring one or two particular kinds of goal, both of which maximize his will and experience and minimize the loss of footspeed and quickness due to age.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

twitter.com/WayneTwittaker

"Blake Wheeler got married today. Maybe tonight he'll initiate some contact for once in his life!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

twitter.com/WayneTwittaker "Blake Wheeler got married today. Maybe tonight he'll initiate some contact for once in his life!"
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

i'm sure he will be fumbling and bumbling as he goes in to score

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

twitter.com/WayneTwittaker "Blake Wheeler got married today. Maybe tonight he'll initiate some contact for once in his life!"
    Posted by SanDogBrewin
    I doubt he'll throw any big hits tonight, but he should be double shifting.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, c'mon!  The joke here is obvious!  The honeymoon was offside - Wheeler went prematurely.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Who would've thought Book is a linesman LoL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I disagree that you can't teach aggression.  It's just not easy and it's usually not pretty because you have to break down the player's ego and get into his kitchen.  Basically, you get through the ego so the player doesn't take that tiniest fraction of a second to think about whether something that advances the team goals is going to hurt, and you get in his kitchen so that any remaining fear is of you - either of you directly or of letting you down.  So much of this is between the ears.  Habits are what you do unconsciously - the repetition of things that you associate with good results.  You have to be capable of consciously choosing to do things differently if you want to create new habits.  Half of that is desire, so really, this is a question of whether or not Wheeler wants to get better or thinks he's got it all figured out.  Badhab - same thing for what you're talking about.  There are plenty of Jr players or college players who look lights out, who can skate and shoot and handle the puck or take the body or break up plays.  The problem is, the things they habitually rely on to be successful aren't always going to work - especially if they count on being stronger, faster, or more physically gifted than the competition.  When they get to the pros, they have to be able to adapt their games. If they don't have it between the ears, they lose confidence rather than find ways to improve and add new wrinkles to their game - or learn to do the same things, but at the higher pace needed in the NHL.  It's not book smarts, it's that predatory sort of mindset that lets you recognize why something isn't working and, through trial and error, overcome that factor or find another way to get the job done.  Think, also, about older players who lose a step.  They either have to find another way to be successful, or they fade into the sunset.  Recchi's a great example of a guy who used to be a very dynamic player who now concentrates his efforts on scoring one or two particular kinds of goal, both of which maximize his will and experience and minimize the loss of footspeed and quickness due to age.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Sorry Booky...You're probably the most well informed and insightful poster on this board, but I believe you might be over thinking this one. Aggression is really about emotion, it's either in your DNA - or it isn't. It's about dealing with confrontation and channeling anger to reach the highest level of competition. Some feed off those emotions and use it like rocket fuel, Wheeler is about as far away from that as possible. It's not the only way to compete effectively, but you've got to be a very special talent without it. Imagine Richard's game without aggression, I bet he's been like that since he first laced em up...can't really teach it -

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I tell ya...

It's all these freakin' liberals on the College campuses that soften the College hockey players up...

Filling their heads with all sorts of useless garbage to what ?

Put the puck in the net for a living ?

Yeah, like you have to go to College to learn stuff like that...

In my town, the local Major Junior team plays like 80 games a season (pre-season, regualr season) and they're getting traded in the middle of the academic season as early as 15 years old...

Toughens 'em up...

Get it right, NCAA !!!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Now, my suggestion on how to fix most of Wheeler's bad habits that have been instilled by the freakin' liberal brainwashing that he has undergone in college hockey is to get him some boxing lessons so he can learn to fight...  

It's not too late for him yet...

We can rebuild him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Now, my suggestion on how to fix most of Wheeler's bad habits that have been instilled by the freakin' liberal brainwashing that he has undergone in college hockey is to get him some boxing lessons so he can learn to fight...   It's not too late for him yet... We can rebuild him...
    Posted by RMiller87

Liberal brainwashing?  Like Chris Nilan (Northeastern) and Jay Miller (UNH)?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Posted by SanDogBrewin

A little "mud for the turtle" will do the kid wonders. He has to be pushed to use his size to his advantage, and he should be ok. Sundien,McNabb,,Ratelle,Pete and Frank Mahovolich, Esposito, Lecalvier,the Vancouver twins and many others were/are not really the types to put a hurtin' on anyone. What they have is a highly competitive nature. Last season was a scratch for most of the BRUINS.  I will give WHEELER another season in fairness to him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler's bad habits : A little "mud for the turtle" will do the kid wonders. He has to be pushed to use his size to his advantage, and he should be ok. Sundien,McNabb,,Ratelle,Pete and Frank Mahovolich, Esposito, Lecalvier,the Vancouver twins and many others were/are not really the types to put a hurtin' on anyone. What they have is a highly competitive nature. Last season was a scratch for most of the BRUINS.  I will give WHEELER another season in fairness to him.
    Posted by watchtower

Jean Ratelle isn't part of that bunch, but I take your point, your'e talking about big guys who were enormously talented.  While they weren't big hitters, they used their size to their advantage.  I would put Super Mario in that category as well.

I just don't see Wheels talent level going to that degree.

Rather than 'agression', I would point more toward the 'puck hungry.'  Actually, just plain old fashioned hustle.  Like Kessel and Thornton, you never get the feeling he's giving 100%, so you want to see something out of him more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

this post has certainly covered all sorts of habits for Blake. please do not compare to Chris Nilan who constantly knocked folks over in bantams and never thought of himself as a scoring wizard. Wheeler's talent lies in his potential to score. Everyone who watched him pre-college and in the two years he played could see the speed that burst him by defensenen,and the shots, which is why he was coveted in the draft by Phoenix and recruited by the Bruins. In year one he was able to play the same, but, NHL defensemen catch on quickly, and Blake had some real trouble trying to adjust. The fact that Ryder frequently tanked did not help the sophomore. CJ did move him around, but he still needs more adjustments from his habitual collegiate style.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Book, you have to be born with it.  Not everyone enjoys contact.  I saw it all the time in my sports career.  There are guys that fly down the field on kick-off team that try to knock ppl out and there are guys that arm-tackle.  I think what your talking about is reaction to adverse conditions, more so, than aggression.  That can be taught.  The Marines do it very well.
    And by the way, i think Recchi is still aggressive.

Sections
Shortcuts