Where Does Wideman Rank on the List of All-Time Worst Bruins?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Where Does Wideman Rank on the List of All-Time Worst Bruins?

I know some of you may be getting sick of these anti-Wideman posts, but the guy is insufferable.  I literally cringe when he tries to make the most simple of plays.  In my opinion, he is easily the worst hockey player I've seen in my entire life.  He plays no D (even though he's a defenseman), his slap shot couldn't hit the side of a barn, and he seems to enjoy handing the puck over to the opposing team. 

So I have two questions to everybody here is:

1) Is Wideman on this team at the end of the year, and should he be?

2) Where does Wideman rank on the list of all-time worst Bruins players?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Where Does Wideman Rank on the List of All-Time Worst Bruins?

I guess you never saw Brian Curran.

The worst NHL player I ever saw was Wally Weir of the old Quebec Nordiques. He couldn't shoot, pass or stickhandle. His skating was like Hal Gill in cement. A big, lumbering no talent defenseman who existed just to bash the occassional head and start a fight when the Nordiques were getting beat. He wasn't much of fighter either , just a big, neanderthal type goon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Thanks for the post ZILLAGOD.  I've never heard of Wally Weir, but I doubt he was worse than Wideman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

I give you Wally Weir:

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5679

I'd have to say Bruce Shoebottom would be on top of my list!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

I did a little research and found out you guys are right, Wally Weir was pretty bad.  But there is one HUGE difference between him and Dennis Wideman: Weir was simply a goon, his only job was to fight.  Wideman, on the other hand, is supposed to be a "puck moving defenseman" that can help his team on offense and defense.  Have either of you seen any glimpses of Wideman's "puck moving ability", because I definitely haven't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Wideman was actually pretty solid last yr.  Around the league he was considered one of the most improved players.  This yr though, he has been a turnover machine and his offense is way down.  Unfortunately, that can be said of several of the B's.  That's why they're so far off last yr's pace.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

they are way off of last years pace because they have had so many injuries to key players

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Wideman still one of our better puck moving d-men.None of them starts the breakout like last years team but wideman makes a better first pass than anyone else on the d.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Come on!! ..I know that Wideman hasn't had a great season , although if you check he is only a minus -1 , and plays 23 minutes a game so Julien thinks he is doing OK...you would think that with all the hate this guy would be -20 ..  but to call him out on a list of All time Worst Bruins is insane...

By the way how is Brad Boyes doing for the Blues these days?  Coach Killer! Minus  8 and a whopping 9 goals.. Boy!! we really miss those 9 goals..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Alexei Zhamnov YEAR     TEAM  GP  G  A   PTS   +/- PIM   SOG  SPCT
                      2005-2006   BOS   24   1  9   10     -4   30     37    2.7%

$4Mil a year for 3 years one of MOCs better signings...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

i agree cowboy....this has to rank as 1 of the all-time worst posts....wideman is having a bad year as is alot of bruins....of course his mistakes are compounded bein a defensemen,but give me a break! did he rank on your list last year tim thomas god or is your post just from this years performance? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

So just because some people around the league considered him one of the best puck moving defensemen in the league last year, you guys are going to automatically believe it?  Why don't you form your own opinion?  For starters, how about actually watching the games instead of just looking at the stats.  There's a reason Wideman is only a -1 this year: Thomas, Rask and the other defensemen have had to save his butt numerous occasions this year.

And if you do want stats, here's one for you: Wideman has averaged a +1 plus/minus rating over his career.  So I guess that makes him one of the best puck moving defensemen in the league.  It's a good thing he's only costing the Bruins $3,937,500 this year (we could get a much needed scorer for that ridiculous amount of money).

This is a guy who has had 1 (maybe 2) "good" seasons in the NHL.  The fact that you guys seem to be considering him the next Bobby Orr makes me want to throw up. 

Finally to pucman: I'm basing my opinion on last year too.  He was atrocious in the second half of last year and in the playoffs.  Even Wideman himself said he played like crap the second half of last year.  When a NHL player admits he plays that bad, you know he is a bad player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

What the hell is wrong with you people. Wideman is a top notch defenseman on one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. Obviously all the Bruins offensive #'s are suffering this year, and Widemans #'s will suffer because of that. Last year Wideman was awesome, I will be patient with him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yeh, and the offensive genious Claude Julien still puts him out for the PP????????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Well TTGOD we will just agree to disagree on Wideman.. I will take Julien's expertise in knowing his players and their performance levels.... If he was as bad as you say he was I am sure CJ would have sat his behind in the press box already..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

You know what cowboys9, you make a good arguement.  I honestly don't understand why they have yet to sit him at any point this season.  My guess is that they are too injured on D right now, so they couldn't sit him.  But do not be suprised to see Wideman in the press box if he continues to struggle once Mark Stuart returns.  Let's hope Stuart gets here fast, the Bruins could sure use him.

Also, Johnny Boychuk has played pretty well since Stuart got hurt.  He definitely deserves a chance to take Wideman's spot once Stuart returns.  At least Boychuk's slap shots aren't consistently 10 feet WIDE of the net.  I guess that's why they call him WIDEman.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I have been impressed with Boychuk, but he is a seasoned and more mature player at this stage of his career, he's been around ..so really should not be surprised really at his play.. ..Right now Bruins are in dire straits on blue line with Ference out for the next 6 weeks I don't think anyone is sitting out ....Also you know what Wideman isn't the only defenceman that can't hit the net from the point..especially on the PP.. but amazing when they wrist some shots on net they seem to get tipped and create good scoring chances..  I saw a bit of the wristers from the point against Ottawa and created two goals..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

It's funny that you mention wrist shots, because considering how bad Wideman's slap shot is, he has a pretty decent wrist shot.  It's his decision making that's the problem.  He took a shot down low along the boards on the powerplay last night, but there was no one in front of the net to tip the puck.  It resulted in a faceoff which the Bruins ended up losing.  If it had been another player, they would have looked to make the extra pass and continued to move the puck around for a higher percentage shot.  That is what's so frustrating with Wideman.  

Even though the Bruins are weak on D right now, I would like to see them trade Wideman at the trade deadline for a scorer and a D-man (somebody that is not as highly regarded as Wideman, but who could help out on offense and defense).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

How about Wideman to Carolina for their first round pick?
    They took Aaron Ward, didn't they?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Honestly BadHabitude, I was dissapointed when I heard they weren't keeping Ward (Obviously I'm glad they didn't decide to resign him, he's playing worse then Wideman).

But seriosuly, it's going to be difficult for the Bruins to trade Wideman, because no other team values him as much as the Bruins do.  I hope they can find a team that's really desperate for defense (Phoenix has been looking for a D-man for months, so maybe they are a possible trade partner).  I don't really care at this point, I just want to see Wideman improve or be traded. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Agreed TT-god, I don't think anyone will touch him.  His contract is up through 2011-12.

I don't think he will improve, he keeps making the same frustrating mistakes over and over.  Especially with a bouncing puck.  Never in his life has he ever contained a bouncing puck at the blue line.  He NEVER plays it safe and traps it, always tries to swat at it with his stick.  Every time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Exactly BadHabitude.  And here's the problem with trading him:

Rebuilding teams are not going to want Wideman because he costs to much (cap hit of $3,937,500) and he's only signed through 2012.  This means that only teams in playoff contention (and in need of a D-man) might be willing to trade for him.  But, if that team wants to make a serious run at the Cup, they are not going to trade a talented forward, unless he's struggling (i.e. Alexander Frolov).

If the Bruins want to get rid of Wideman, they should try to trade him to a desperate team for picks.  Maybe they could then use those picks to get the scorer they need.  A "Sobotka for a veteran defenseman" deal (similar to the one for Steve Montador last year, but for a player that doesn't stink as much as Montador) might also be something the Bruins should try.  Then they could platoon that defenseman and Boychuk at the 6th D-man spot.

I know it's confusing, but any thoughts?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

hmmm... how about trading him to the Leafs for their picks?  Oh no, wait, they don't have any picks left... and no players that I would like to see on our roster either.

I have no idea of how to get rid of Wideman or to who, but I am really happy with the d we have, I like Boychuck a lot and I think he should stay, and I like McQuaid as well.  Maybe with Ference out maybe McQuaid can get some NHL conditioning.

So losing Wideman for a forward would be fine, defense we have left would be adequate to cover I think.

I haven't seen enough of Frolov to make that call, but I would be willing to take a gamble.  Sometimes it takes a trade to spark both players back to life.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Not even in the top 50.  There's another thread where I point out that, with his game, the good is subtle and important while the bad is obvious and, for some reason I can't fathom, usually You-Tube fodder.  He doesn't just lose his balance and let a guy get by him, he goes arz over teakettle.  It's bizarre.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rybo555. Show rybo555's posts

BadHabitude -Great point about keeping the pucks in the offensive zone, so frustrating.

We are clearly stuck with him, though I agree with the earlier post about sitting him when we get stewie and ference back. Boychuck has outperformed wideman by leaps and bounds.

I would trade him for a bag of pucks right now, still would be a great deal for bs.

Sections
Shortcuts