Who is the best defenceman?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chararulz. Show Chararulz's posts

Who is the best defenceman?

Who is your best defenceman in this list?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

Re: Who is the best defenceman?

Chara with Markov a close second. Komisuckit ? Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahah !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Chara is the only good defenseman on that list.  Wideman and Markov are more offensive, and Komi is a turtle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Get ready they'll start to vote and rig your survey as they did the Allstar game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DonCherry. Show DonCherry's posts

Chara, by far

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

At this point in his career, Wideman is still learning, but will soon be the best of the group.

Right now I would have to say Chara. He uses his size and strength to full advantage, although he is not a great skater. He has also really surprised me this season with his leadership qualities. I think he has finally become a leader, coming to the aid of smaller players when they are being abused by goons....although I believe he should leave that to Thornton, we really don't need Chara sitting in the box. But I really think it speaks volumes that he steps in.

I don't see enough of the two Montreal guys , but the fact that this is an 8th place team that barely made the playoffs tells me their top two d-men are probably lacking something. In the case of Komisarek, I would say it's probably brains.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Yo Zilla, 
    So true what you say about Wides.  I watch his positioning and stick work--  he does a lot with economy of motion.  With that pinpoint timing, he's looking somewhat Bourque-ish. Hence his plus-32.   It will be fun to watch him over the coming years.  I think Hunwick may have the same potential.  Also, Mark Stuart is getting better in increments, though I don't see quite the "magic" of the other two.

As you know, many fans just look for the slam and crunch aspects of defense.  What wins games is timing and positioning.

I disagree with you about Chara's skating, however.  Big guys APPEAR to skate slower. They are taking fewer strides but covering as much or more ground.  Same with Bitz and Wheeler .  And past greats like Ron Francis.  Peter McNab, remember him?  All these tall guys look like they are lumbering when they are in fact blazing.  Chara has only been beat on a race-back to cover a few times this year (most recently in the loss to Ottawa) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpf1107. Show jpf1107's posts

zdeno chara by far

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

Chara is one of the top 10 best D ever

1.Orr
    2.Doug Harvey
    3.Ray Bourque
    4.Zdeno Chara
    5.Lidstrom
    6.Coffey
    7.L.Robinson
    8.BradPark
    9.D.Potvin
    10.S.Savard
    11.B.Salming

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

1. Orr-B 8-straight would have been 15 straight
    2. Old time hockey Eddie Shore-B award for defencemen didn't exist
    3. Ray Bourque-B -5
    4. Doug Harvey-M - 7
    5. Serge Savard-M too many broken legs and head to head against the greatest of all time or he would be second
    6. Denis Potvin - 3 retired to early had nothing left to earn (lost his father)
    7. Paul Coffey-B -3
    8. Brad Park-B  2nd only to Orr
    9. Larry Robinson-M 2
    10. Guy Lapointe-M-B

Lidstrom (has had no competition) and Chara have a long way to go to crack this lineup and I would take any of these following guys ahead of them for a full career Chelios -3, McInness-1, Murphy, Langway -2, Housely, Leetch-2, Pilotte -3 and Stevens.

Greatest of all Time

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

in my opinion, comparing the no-mask stand-up goalie era to the butterfly goalie era is apples to oranges.

Orr probably isn't the most talented defensemen to ever play the game, but because he changed the game, he is the greatest and most significant defensemen to ever play.

In my opinion, Ray Bourque had better vision, was a better passer, and shot the puck better than Orr. But like i said, it was a different game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

watching the game over the last 40 yrs. the best d-man i ever saw was orr.. and could be the"BEST" player period ..  orr could skate faster.... pass...  fight....  and most important, control the tempo of each game he was in.... and he did this with 2 operations on his knees before he even played his first game with the bruins. you really had to see him in person to see how special he was  i saw a lot of great players over the years at the garden and i will rate them like this    ORR....  MARIO LEMUIXE..... STEVE YISERMAN... BOURQUE.... NEELY.... and a special nod to JAY MILLER... for being the best fighter i ever saw PERIOD !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Chara is one of the top 10 best D ever 1.Orr 2.Doug Harvey 3.Ray Bourque 4.Zdeno Chara 5.Lidstrom 6.Coffey 7.L.Robinson 8.BradPark 9.D.Potvin 10.S.Savard 11.B.Salming
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBRUINS[/QUOTE]

Your list is slanted toward players who played post-1970 ( or the Orr era). You do however list Doug Harvey, but what about Eddie Shore?

I also find your list is slanted toward Bruins players.

If I was to make a list of the best defensemen I ever saw, it would include Rod Langway , who you've omitted also, and there is no way on this Earth I would place Chara ahead of Denis Potvin and Larry Robinson.

Other defensemen I would place ahead of Chara: Doug Wilson, Scott Stevens, Chris Chelios and Mark Howe. I have no problem with the others on your list, I just think you have Chara rated way too high.