Who remembers Al Secord

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Who remembers Al Secord

A Bruin's number 1 draft pick short 2.25 years stint with the Bruins. #20 Al Secord. I grew up watching him play jr's in my hometown and is definetly one of my top 3 bruins along with Stan"The Man "Jonathan and Bobby Orr. When Secord was drafted by my fav. team it was one the best days of my life. He was not the most fancy player but he did get the job done. Looch kind of reminds me of Al Secord, But Secord did not talk to players he just went after them and drop the gloves. Where as Looch just sends a body check to send the message. Secord's career now is a bush pilot.

Al Secord

1979 -1980  23 goals 170 PIM
    Career 273 goals and 2095 PIM with 23 games winners

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Who remembers Al Secord

Ya he was one of my favs at the time also, thx for the reminder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I didn't know he was a bush pilot now.  Definitely remember him, especially because he was so productive off of LW, which wasn't as common as 50g RWs, and, of course, because he put up 44 and 54 goals immediately after being dealt.  Worse...he was dealt for MO'C.

Too bad injuries derailed him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Bookboy, you beat me to it: Secord was one of Harry Sinden's worst trades, because it brought O'Connell to Boston, and we all know what that ultimately led to.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

One seriously tough hockey player.  I think I recall him having some kind of serious abdominal muscle tear or something that sidelined him for quite a while during his career.  I am way off on this?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Secord was one of Harry Sinden's worst trades"

When I saw Secord in the Blackhawks red I wanted to hurl. Very, very bad trade started my hatred for Sinden the man really knew how to blow up good teams like the 77'-79' and 83' teams. Al Secord just had Bruins written all over him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I don't know if this is true, but Wikipedia lists Secord as being a pilot for American Airlines. That's a lot different than being a bush pilot flying bush airplanes.

American Airlines Jet

Bush Airplane

Regardless, Secord was one of the first tough guys who could also score a lot of goals. I think he played with Denis Savard when he was in Chicago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

a lefty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

I loved that guy and was ticked that he was traded.  He didn't hit with the same "oomph" like Lucic, but he was a superb fighter and developed into a scoring threat in Chi.  A random memory I have of him is scoring a goal, but instead of celebrating with his teammates, he went skating right after Ed Hospodar who had slashed him on the play.  (Funny, the things you remember as a kid).  Other than that, though, I don't recall too many of his fights...makes me want to check out what's on Youtube.  My recollection is that not too many people wanted to take him on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Of course we remember the pride of Espanola, Ontario!

I ran into a few people from there who know Al, just a few months ago, and they told me that he was working with American Airlines.

There are thousands of lakes, tons of bush and many remote hunting and fishing lodges in that area. Maybe he saw an opportunity?

Here is an interesting piece on him: http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/26822-Backchecking-Al-Secord-stays-under-the-radar.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I would say so in the modern era...but, Gordie Howe was kind of tough and put in a goal or two...
    In Response to Re: Who remembers Al Secord:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if this is true, but Wikipedia lists Secord as being a pilot for American Airlines. That's a lot different than being a bush pilot flying bush airplanes.     American Airlines Jet     Bush Airplane Regardless, Secord was one of the first tough guys who could also score a lot of goals. I think he played with Denis Savard when he was in Chicago.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Who remembers Al Secord:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Who remembers Al Secord : Hi I remember Al Secord; One time i think we were playing Buffalo and Secord and Ruff got into a scrap Secord won with ease, But they went at it two more times after that . Secord won all three bouts and i remember after the third fight Ruff skating off the ice mouthing the words ( SON OF A BeaCH)
    Posted by degolds[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that Sinden wanted to trade Secord in his rookie season & Cherry said not too. Well in 81 Sinden got another chance & did it. Al's the only guy in NHl history to have 40 goals & 300 pens in the same season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MacV. Show MacV's posts

I remember him vaguely when he played with Chicago. Did not realize he was a Bruin, to bad he was Bruin material, take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brw0RWQnxXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfGpLpfSfw&feature=fvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWzXzEe4Ww&feature=related