Why do people find a dislike for Kessel so hard to understand??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Why do people find a dislike for Kessel so hard to understand??

Most of the time the Kessel fans will start saying things like, oh, I bet you thought Thornton, Bourque and Orr were "traitors" because they left the Bruins in one way or another.  Or they will say I'm an apologist for Bruins management - instead of addressing the issue.

As a FAN of hockey or any other sport for that matter, it gives me angst to see players not performing up to their potential, there are different flavors of that.  One is when you think the guy is just not hustling.  Another, like Joe Thornton, is when they don't appear to be playing with any intensity. 

And another flavor, the issue that I have as a fan with Kessel.  It does not appear that he is willing to stretch his talent.  He has great speed, he handles the puck really well - so why doesn't he try to beat guys and go in down low?  He sticks to that safe snap shot from the perimeter.  He's good at that, granted, but the point is  HE COULD BE GREAT if he tried to get in deep more often - way more often.  I've seen him carry the puck when he has open guys way up ice many times.

I don't expect him to drop the gloves.  I don't expect him to mix it up in the corners.

If you like what he does, fine.  Watch him, watch the Leafs.  I'm not going to call you an idiot and assault you personally.  I will telll you to watch the Leafs.  You will be happy.  I will be happy.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Kessel doesn't have to change a lot to become a player that I like watching.  I used to have a problem with Savard, but his game has changed a lot in the last couple of years and now I get enjoyment out of watching him.

Again, why is that so hard for people to understand?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian030731. Show Brian030731's posts

Re: Why do people find a dislike for Kessel so hard to understand??

Because you sound like a bitter old fool and your anger is misplaced.

People like you cheered for him when he fought cancer and a torn up shoulder to score 36 goals and average a point a game in the playoffs and because the Bruins organization screwed up yet again you are taking it out on Kessel.

You root for the laundry plain and simple. Now that he is traded he all of a sudden "suks" and is lazy and all the other vitriol you have been spewing since the trade.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Why do people find a dislike for Kessel so hard to understand??:
    Because you sound like a bitter old fool and your anger is misplaced. People like you cheered for him when he fought cancer and a torn up shoulder to score 36 goals and average a point a game in the playoffs and because the Bruins organization screwed up yet again you are taking it out on Kessel. You root for the laundry plain and simple. Now that he is traded he all of a sudden "suks" and is lazy and all the other vitriol you have been spewing since the trade.
    Posted by Brian030731

No.  Sorry, never liked him for exactly the reasons stated.

And as for the cancer and mono, those are personal health issues.  It is a different kind of courage and issue entirely from that which you find in sport.  Look at another athlete, Lance Armstrong - the books is "It's not about the bike", and the translation and meaning is obvious, it doesn't matter that he is a professinal athlete fighting cancer, he is just like every other person fighting cancer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Sidney Crosby is an example of a small player that competes for loose pucks. While he is clearly a more gifted passer, Crosby makes so many more plays happen just because he is aggressive and competes for the puck.

Kessel is no hack, he has plenty of skills, but he chooses not to develop the parts of his game that weren't god given. So he wins the easy battles, and doesn't even compete for the hard ones.

Famously, Kessel walked the other way and jumped in his SUV when Julien said, "The weight room is that way"

The guy is more than capable of creating more turnovers, if he had a better motor and went into the corners.

Last night was an excellent example, it was the third period, and the Maple leafs are losing... they are on a rush coming into the zone and a Toronto center dumped the puck into Kessel's corner softly... it is a designed play assuming the center thinks the wing can beat the defensemen to the puck and set up some offense.....

But what happened? What ALWAYS HAPPENS kessel pulled up, turnover, Sabres break out the puck... and kessel doesn't even get off the ice immediately.. he wasn't tired or retreating to the bench.. he simply watched and waited for someone to either feed him in the slot, or wait for a better time to toe-drag some sloppy defensemen.

The center will learn, and eventually he won't dump the puck into the corners when he sees kessel there...Perhaps people who don't pay much attention won't realize why... But regardless, the team will suffer for it.. just like the Bruins suffered for it

I hate kessel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Why do people find a dislike for Kessel so hard to understand??:
    Sidney Crosby is an example of a small player that competes for loose pucks. While he is clearly a more gifted passer, Crosby makes so many more plays happen just because he is aggressive and competes for the puck. Kessel is no hack, he has plenty of skills, but he chooses not to develop the parts of his game that weren't god given. So he wins the easy battles, and doesn't even compete for the hard ones. Famously, Kessel walked the other way and jumped in his SUV when Julien said, "The weight room is that way" The guy is more than capable of creating more turnovers, if he had a better motor and went into the corners. Last night was an excellent example, it was the third period, and the Maple leafs are losing... they are on a rush coming into the zone and a Toronto center dumped the puck into Kessel's corner softly... it is a designed play assuming the center thinks the wing can beat the defensemen to the puck and set up some offense..... But what happened? What ALWAYS HAPPENS kessel pulled up, turnover, Sabres break out the puck... and kessel doesn't even get off the ice immediately.. he wasn't tired or retreating to the bench.. he simply watched and waited for someone to either feed him in the slot, or wait for a better time to toe-drag some sloppy defensemen. I hate kessel.
    Posted by Olsonic

I thank the Lord Almighty that at least some people see what I do.

I disagree to a small amount, he doesn't even have to go into the corners, if he just simply used the speed and moves a little more - in places other than the neutral zone, like down deep - he would be significantly better right there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Meh, if you don't go into the corners, unless you are wayne gretzky, you are not helping your team out like you should be.

You play wing in the NHL, it is your responsibility to go into the corners.

He isn't sergi samsonov either, telling him to do more swoops and spins and cutbacks isn't really the kind of speed he has. While Kessel has great top end speed, he doesn't have those kind of edges nor would it in anyway keep the glaring weakness in his game which is his compete level.

When you have the speed to get to loose pucks, especially in the key neutral zone-- /> offensive zone transition area, (often in the corners) and you don't do it because you clearly don't want to be hit. then... i don't know what else to say.. that is enough to make me hate you as a player, and hate that you put yourself in front of the team.

ESPECIALLY if he relized that if he just kept his head up and his feet moving he could avoid plenty of hits

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Because you sound like a bitter old fool and your anger is misplaced. People like you cheered for him when he fought cancer and a torn up shoulder to score 36 goals and average a point a game in the playoffs and because the Bruins organization screwed up yet again you are taking it out on Kessel. You root for the laundry plain and simple. Now that he is traded he all of a sudden "suks" and is lazy and all the other vitriol you have been spewing since the trade.
    Posted by Brian030731

The B's didn't "scre.w up" with Kessel. He and the coach didn't get along, and he knew the coach wasn't going anywhere, so he wanted out.

The Bruins have a philosohpy that all but one person agrees with. To change it to appease that one would bring in a system that only one person agrees with. Which do you think is better for the TEAM.

Sorry, but Kessel wanted out, he got out, and that's the end of it. You can't please all the people all of the time, but you know what? I'll take 23 happy players and lose one unhappy player than have 1 happy player and 23 unhappy.

If they appeased Kessel, and in return Lucic doesn't sign, Krejci doesn't sign, Savard does sign, you'd be flipping the F out on the Bruins.

So let it go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yep, Kessel didn't grind in the corners. Kessel was lacking any real grit on the ice.
    He was soft.  ALL TRUE.

Now we have someone on the first line who thrives along the boards, a real grinder and digger. Byron Bitz. Problem solved, and the coach prefers his style of play. Be careful what you wish for -

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Jwensick, acting like I would trade a player of Phil Kessel's calibur for Byron Bitz is blatantly manipulative.

There are PLENTY of players with more offensive skills than Bitz that still go into the corners.

no one said replace kessel with Bitz... we said kessel isn't worth 5million, and we would rather pay someone else currently on the roster. Why? there is this hard to grasp concept of a salary cap, you can't pay everyone top dollar for their services, tough choices have to be made.

Bitz getting a whopping half a million and earning 1st line time is a win in my book.

What we do with the 4.5 million left over is what i'm concerned with. We made big strides locking up Krejci, Savard AND lucic... all things that couldn't have been done with Kessel on the roster.All things that people claimed couldn't be done period

.. IN ADDITION we can potentially lock up a better goal scorer at the deadline or during free agency.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian030731. Show Brian030731's posts

Yep, Kessel didn't grind in the corners. Kessel was lacking any real grit on the ice. He was soft.  ALL TRUE. Now we have someone on the first line who thrives along the boards, a real grinder and digger. Byron Bitz. Problem solved, and the coach prefers his style of play. Be careful what you wish for -
    Posted by JWensink

LMAO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Hey Olsonic - nobody dislikes soft players more than me, I'm with you on that one. It just boggles my mind that we are trying to win a cup with Byron F!*^%g Bitz playing on the first line. I'm starting to wonder if Julien is some kind of complete idiot????????? Bitz ain't even a first liner in Providence. I mean, we went from Savard and Kessel to Savard and Bitz????? How does that happen?????

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stourque. Show stourque's posts

I liked Kessel as a player and still do, but at 22 he went for the money, (which he'll make plenty of over his career) over a chance for a Stanley Cup. Ask any retired player who didn't win a cup what they would have given for a Cup and I'm sure most would have passed on some money early in their career. I think it speaks volumes about his character. I mean how much is enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Good reply JWensink, how does Bitz get to a first line. I would rather see Wheels on the first line or Bergeron. Once Looch returns some thing will happen.

Sturm Savard Bergeron (until Looch is ready)
    Wheels Krejci Ryder
    Paille Sobotka Rechhi (keep playing Sobotka he may be trade bait for deadline)
    Thornton Begin Bitz  (this line was clicking)

I know a lot don't like Rechhi progress but come playoffs he will be different he always performs in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frankenstien. Show Frankenstien's posts

The chance to win a Stanley Cup left town the same day Kessel did. There was more to Kessel leaving than money despite all the propaganda coming from Bruins management. It's not about liking players but about winning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

Hey Olsonic - nobody dislikes soft players more than me, I'm with you on that one. It just boggles my mind that we are trying to win a cup with Byron F!*^%g Bitz playing on the first line. I'm starting to wonder if Julien is some kind of complete idiot????????? Bitz ain't even a first liner in Providence. I mean, we went from Savard and Kessel to Savard and Bitz????? How does that happen?????
    Posted by JWensink

wensink, u and a few other's posts are the ones i always look forward to reading. ur quick to make ur point and smart. u certainly know what it takes.
    All these fans are trying ti justify Keess being gone and looking for reasons why he had to go when they should be thinking what they should have done to make him stay

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

was teemu salanne a grinder, lafontaine. bossy, lafleur,. let them play their fkn game. they have talent others could oly dream of. The puck comes to them they don't need to go get it because they have an incredible feel for the game a god given instinct.
    lose the prtotypical banger mentality hasn't 37 cupless yrs indicated that it is time to change our ways.
    In no way do u let a wonder kid go , ever .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

Jwensick, acting like I would trade a player of Phil Kessel's calibur for Byron Bitz is blatantly manipulative. There are PLENTY of players with more offensive skills than Bitz that still go into the corners. no one said replace kessel with Bitz... we said kessel isn't worth 5million, and we would rather pay someone else currently on the roster. Why? there is this hard to grasp concept of a salary cap, you can't pay everyone top dollar for their services, tough choices have to be made. Bitz getting a whopping half a million and earning 1st line time is a win in my book. What we do with the 4.5 million left over is what i'm concerned with. We made big strides locking up Krejci, Savard AND lucic... all things that couldn't have been done with Kessel on the roster.All things that people claimed couldn't be done period .. IN ADDITION we can potentially lock up a better goal scorer at the deadline or during free agency.
    Posted by Olsonic

first of all it only became money issue after way after the fact.
    but let's keep ur line of reasoning.
    kess not worth 5m, if he keeps this torrid pace burke will have gotten a bargain.
    Explain to me how lucic who scored 17 goals is worth 4m and a guy who has been praised since he was drafted number 1 and scored more then double lucic and with 70 games only is not worth 5m.
    let me tell u something if ryder is worth4m and lucic 4m and bergie almost 5m
    kess is worth way over 5m, he will be one of the top point getters in the nhl and very soon.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

In Response to Why do people find a dislike for Kessel so hard to understand??:
    Most of the time the Kessel fans will start saying things like, oh, I bet you thought Thornton, Bourque and Orr were "traitors" because they left the Bruins in one way or another.  Or they will say I'm an apologist for Bruins management - instead of addressing the issue. As a FAN of hockey or any other sport for that matter, it gives me angst to see players not performing up to their potential, there are different flavors of that.  One is when you think the guy is just not hustling.  Another, like Joe Thornton, is when they don't appear to be playing with any intensity.  And another flavor, the issue that I have as a fan with Kessel.  It does not appear that he is willing to stretch his talent.  He has great speed, he handles the puck really well - so why doesn't he try to beat guys and go in down low?  He sticks to that safe snap shot from the perimeter.  He's good at that, granted, but the point is  HE COULD BE GREAT if he tried to get in deep more often - way more often.  I've seen him carry the puck when he has open guys way up ice many times. I don't expect him to drop the gloves.  I don't expect him to mix it up in the corners. If you like what he does, fine.  Watch him, watch the Leafs.  I'm not going to call you an idiot and assault you personally.  I will telll you to watch the Leafs.  You will be happy.  I will be happy. Why is this so hard to understand? Kessel doesn't have to change a lot to become a player that I like watching.  I used to have a problem with Savard, but his game has changed a lot in the last couple of years and now I get enjoyment out of watching him. Again, why is that so hard for people to understand?
    Posted by BadHabitude

sav has changed his game, he is 10 yrs older then kess. u have no idea wat ur saying. maybe u should watch the leafs to admire what is an exceptional talent instead of these second rate hockey players that could pick a top corner if they tried.

tell me Bad, have u sen our offence lately that boring , anemic  not worth the price of admission offence , hey but guess what these second lrate players (sav exception) are all STRETCHING THEIR TALENTS  way to the golf course where this team will certainly be come playoff time

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

kane>>>>>>>kessel

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Patrick Kane is much better than Phil Kessel......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Comparing Kane to Kessel is a joke he is no where in Kanes class.

I suggest all the closet leafs fans get ready for that parade on Young or Bloor street when softy Kessel leads them to the cup. The leafs would be better off if Bill Barilko washed up on the shore, tragically hip song, thats the last time the Leafs won the cup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from relicsun. Show relicsun's posts

The reason I HATE Kessel is two fold. First he thinks he is an elite player and hasn't earned that yet. I just happen to know people that know people in the Bruins Organization and they said Kessel was a big soft baby with a really bad attitude. The final reason and the biggest reason to me is HE DIDN'T WANT TO WEAR THE BLACK AND GOLD.
    GO BRUINS!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco100. Show marco100's posts

Comparing Kane to Kessel is a joke he is no where in Kanes class. I suggest all the closet leafs fans get ready for that parade on Young or Bloor street when softy Kessel leads them to the cup. The leafs would be better off if Bill Barilko washed up on the shore, tragically hip song, thats the last time the Leafs won the cup.
    Posted by woodtick7

ur right kane is not in kessel class, kess doesn't beat up on cab drivers.
    woodstick ur clueless, kane is a fine young player and kess is another fine young player 2 great american born nhlers who are destined for brilliant careers. they are both in the same class, in fact kess is a better natural sniper then kane. kess can carry puck coast to coast deke the lights out of anyone and drill it top corner or anywhere in back of net.
    now if u knew anything about hockey , u wouldn't believ what kind of talent u muist have to be abl;e to do this. His wrist shot is the best in the nhl, his release is lightning quick. his accuracy is great, his skating is phenomenal, his vision is outstanding ,
    stop bashing the best forward bruins have had in yrs and will not have for a very long time. Hey it's ok keep admiring those 2nd rate playersi.e. ryder, sturm, and  even bergie and see how far they get.
    another fan satisfied with the status-quo, yrs of playoff mediocrity

Sections
Shortcuts