WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS??????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS??????

With all the US born kids playing hockey for the last 30 plus years what the .....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS??????

First, it's Canadians, not Canadiens (that's a hockey team, or a specific ethnicgroup within Quebec, and not even all francophone Quebecers).

Secondly, we invented the sport and still have the most people who play it regularly.

And third, Canadians are no where near 80 per cent of the league. Last year 974 players played in the league at some point during the season. Of that 509 players were Canadian, or 52.3 per cent. The United States had the second largest percentage of players with 216 players or 22.2 per cent. At better than one in five, that is not insignificant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Hey Red,who are you to have these figures????? Forgive me if you are right but go on the web sights of all the NHL teams it seems to me 80% are canada born.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

They are right on the NHL Wikipedia page, as well as on NHL.com. The NHL publishes the ethnic breakdown of its players at the end of every season.

Check this out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Hey Red,so if your American and played in 1 NHL game you were included in these statistics?????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I haven't checked the statistical formula for this year, so I can't say for certain, but last year it was a five-game minimum to be included. If it is just one, that would mean that all the Canadian kids who only played one game (and that would be a lot) are also included.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS??????:
    [QUOTE]They are right on the NHL Wikipedia page, as well as on NHL.com. The NHL publishes the ethnic breakdown of its players at the end of every season. Check this out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#Origin_of_players
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Interesting link, Red, thanks. I knew the NHL included players from an extraordinary number of countries, but it was fascinating to see the numerical breakdown.

It's also interesting, IMHO, to see the growing ethnic diversity among young North American players, including those of African-Canadian and African-American descent. I believe the Maple Leafs' top draft choice this year is the first player of Lebanese descent, IIRC.

The more diversity the better! :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah it is pretty cool -  though the number can be slightly misleading, since they are based on birthplace and not citizenship. For example, Robyn Regehr is the player from Brazil but he's a Canadian citizen and plays internationally for Canada. Craig Adams is the player from Brunei, but is an American citizen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]They are right on the NHL Wikipedia page, as well as on NHL.com. The NHL publishes the ethnic breakdown of its players at the end of every season. Check this out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#Origin_of_players
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Interesting numbers I knew that Canadien born players in the NHL have been progressivly going down % wise as of late. Let's face it even if that number evened out they still would have the best players in NHL overall although it his narrowed allot.

Minnesota (EH!) and Michigan (UP) have defenitly taken over the Northeast as far churning out more american born players as of late. Beantown owned the late 80's early 90's for homegrown talent. Seemed like they all went to BU too. Damn Terriers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

HMMM? does it matter? Everybody knows the best hockey players are from Russia, hence all the gold medals in the world tournaments and the superior KHL league. Even though NHL players are trained to say that the "NHL is the best league in the world". We all know better. Thats why cananda has only won one gold medal in 50 years. Its quite obvious, but no problem from my standpoint. I love the way the canadians player the game with passion.

I love the game, no matter where the person is from.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]HMMM? does it matter? Everybody knows the best hockey players are from Russia, hence all the gold medals in the world tournaments and the superior KHL league. Even though NHL players are trained to say that the "NHL is the best league in the world". We all know better. Thats why cananda has only won one gold medal in 50 years. Its quite obvious, but no problem from my standpoint. I love the way the canadians player the game with passion. I love the game, no matter where the person is from.
    Posted by bluefox70[/QUOTE]

The "superior KHL league"? Superior to what? The ECHL? Have you ever SEEN a KHL game? I mean, you've got to be joking, right? 

As for Canada winning "one gold medal in 50 years," what on earth are you talking about? Canada has won three of the last ten world titles (the Czech Republic has won three, and Russia has won, uh, two).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Canada has a stronger history in the game....which means more passion, better programs, coaching and management. Our players are a tribute to the men behind the scenes that keep us #1 year after year (Although technically russia is rated #1 this year for the first time in forever.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Most top rated hockey country's can ice one very good team and any team can prevail in a one game elimination. Finland could win olympic gold with hot goaltending, would that make them the top rated hockey nation? Canada can ice 2 to 3 good teams and could end up playing eachother in the final. Canada may not always ice the best team, but one thing has never changed, they are almost always (the team to beat).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from buiserboy99. Show buiserboy99's posts

Because Canada can make a second Olympic team with
    Spezza Savard Perry
    S.Gagne Marleau Kane
    StLouis Toews Doan
    J.Staal Langkow Stamkos

Campbell Keith
    Souray Doughty
    Jovanovski Blake

Fleury C.Mason Price 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Who cares this canadian is just waiting for the bruins to play hockey.Especially agaisnt Toronto and less Canadiens that was not a keyboard error. Big Bad Bruins and the fans will be ready .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

SanDog - that quote would be better if you could get the accent in there. I love Denis - No it hurt like hell!

Didn't Russia play professionals in Olympics while USA and Canada played amateurs up until - 98 was it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Looking into the different NHL rosters, certain teams are close to 80% (Boston) is one of them. Detroit loves the swedes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBruin. Show MontrealBruin's posts

What a lame question.

It's like asking why is ther NBA, NFL, and MLB made up of mostly Americans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]SanDog - that quote would be better if you could get the accent in there. I love Denis - No it hurt like hell!

Didn't Russia play professionals in Olympics while USA and Canada played amateurs up until - 98 was it?
    Posted by BradyBruin[/QUOTE]

How geeked out would we be with audio on our quotes as well!? Good point that had allot to do with Russias win streak in the late 60s and 70s. Tretiak the evil russian Bear!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThePhantomGourmet. Show ThePhantomGourmet's posts

Yes, where would the Boston Bruins be today without the past contribuitons of elite American born players like: Hal Gill, Tom Fitzgerald, Shawn Bates, Ted Donato, Steve Heinze, Ian Moran and Dan Lacouture?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS?????? : How geeked out would we be with audio on our quotes as well!? Good point that had allot to do with Russias win streak in the late 60s and 70s. Tretiak the evil russian Bear!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

It wasn't Tretiak but Tikhonov who was the evil Russian bear. Now, however, he's the cuddly granddad of a kid who plays for Phoenix. How times have changed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS?????? : It wasn't Tretiak but Tikhonov who was the evil Russian bear. Now, however, he's the cuddly granddad of a kid who plays for Phoenix. How times have changed.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

That's right he coached quite a bit as well. Wasn't he the one who pulled Tretiak right before the start of third period or right before the end of the second period during the 80' Olympic game vs. the US!? I would have thought he would've gotten sent to the Gulag for that!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Oh, good lord, if anyone was going to the Gulag, it would have been Tikhonov doing the SENDING. The man WAS Soviet hockey, an absolute dictator who terrified his players. Which is what makes it so funny when his grandson, who was raised mostly in California, says "He's just my grandpa and I love him."

You can check his record out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Tikhonov

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

In Response to WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS??????:
    [QUOTE]With all the US born kids playing hockey for the last 30 plus years what the .....
    Posted by hockey-101[/QUOTE]

Other sports do not reach the level of popularity here that they do in the US, per capita, and so hockey remains more popular here. Fewer little boys dream about being baseball, football or basketball players here in Canada than do little boys who dream of being in the NHL. It's simple math.

Also, there is no funding for football and other such sports here, while funding for those sports is actually what keep universities in the US in business. Were it not for football, there would be no FSU, for instance.

It's a culture thing. And hockey players make much less money than other athletes. So it's less popular, it always has been, and is not as inculcated into cultures that did not grow up in hockey towns. Not enough financial incentive, and not enough incentive from other sources.

Now get over it!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff1010. Show jeff1010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to WHY IS THE NHL MADE UP OF 80% CANADIENS?????? : Other sports do not reach the level of popularity here that they do in the US, per capita, and so hockey remains more popular here. Fewer little boys dream about being baseball, football or basketball players here in Canada than do little boys who dream of being in the NHL. It's simple math. Also, there is no funding for football and other such sports here, while funding for those sports is actually what keep universities in the US in business. Were it not for football, there would be no FSU, for instance. It's a culture thing. And hockey players make much less money than other athletes. So it's less popular, it always has been, and is not as inculcated into cultures that did not grow up in hockey towns. Not enough financial incentive, and not enough incentive from other sources. Now get over it!
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

money may have something to do with it, but popularity comes with kids identifying with what they play...and hockey isnt played in the majority of backyards in the US other than upper midwest and northeast.  its also not the best sport to watch on TV.  best live game i think to attend.