WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolftears. Show wolftears's posts

WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART!

http://www.csnne.com/pages/v1_landing?Bruins-Rangers-5-from-the-First=1&blockID=201624&feedID=4021

4) So telling when watching the reaction following Vinny Prospal’s hit from behind on Mark Stuart in the corner by the Boston net. A boarding call for Prospal, and eventually Stuart returned to the game after it looked fairly bad at first. It was a clear borderline hit that caused Stuart to leave the bench area for a few moments of treatment in the dressing room, and one would think the Bruins would have overreacted in a situation like that given the Savard hit was two weeks ago.

Replays showed Patrice Bergeron made a frenzied Bee-line straight for Prospal while sticking up for his fallen teammate, and replays also indicted Dennis Wideman while “lolly-gagging” over to the corner as well. Bergeron came from a great distance, but arrived at Prospal first while Wideman didn’t speed toward the offending hitter until he saw Bergeron reacting. It’s almost unthinkable there would be any hesitation after the Savard incident. Times like that reveal true character: Bergeron looked like a Captain that cared about his teammates and Wideman looked like a chump jumping into the pile after the fact. That’s the kind of thing that’s killing the Bruins team this season.'

Good for the Bruins for responding this time around, but Wideman continues to show that he's on his own program out on the ice. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART!

In Response to WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART!:
    http://www.csnne.com/pages/v1_landing?Bruins-Rangers-5-from-the-First=1&blockID=201624&feedID=4021 4)  So telling when watching the reaction following Vinny Prospal’s hit from behind on Mark Stuart in the corner by the Boston net. A boarding call for Prospal, and eventually Stuart returned to the game after it looked fairly bad at first. It was a clear borderline hit that caused Stuart to leave the bench area for a few moments of treatment in the dressing room, and one would think the Bruins would have overreacted in a situation like that given the Savard hit was two weeks ago. Replays showed Patrice Bergeron made a frenzied Bee-line straight for Prospal while sticking up for his fallen teammate, and replays also indicted Dennis Wideman while “lolly-gagging” over to the corner as well. Bergeron came from a great distance, but arrived at Prospal first while Wideman didn’t speed toward the offending hitter until he saw Bergeron reacting. It’s almost unthinkable there would be any hesitation after the Savard incident. Times like that reveal true character: Bergeron looked like a Captain that cared about his teammates and Wideman looked like a chump jumping into the pile after the fact. That’s the kind of thing that’s killing the Bruins team this season.' Good for the Bruins for responding this time around, but Wideman continues to show that he's on his own program out on the ice. 
    Posted by wolftears

If he jumped in and we ended up short handed he would've been blasted for that.We ended up 4 on 4 as a result as it was.People are going to rip Wideman no matter what happens.He can't win with these "fans".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

In Response to Re: WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART!:
    In Response to WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART! : If he jumped in and we ended up short handed he would've been blasted for that.We ended up 4 on 4 as a result as it was.People are going to rip Wideman no matter what happens.He can't win with these "fans".
    Posted by dezaruchi

Thank You for your comment Mrs. Julien. We know he is the apple of your hubby's eye and gets the most minutes on the team. Is he going to be painting your house and mowing the lawn again this summer?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolftears. Show wolftears's posts

In Response to WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART! : If he jumped in and we ended up short handed he would've been blasted for that.We ended up 4 on 4 as a result as it was.People are going to rip Wideman no matter what happens.He can't win with these "fans".
    Posted by dezaruchi

Have you watched him play this year you sad sack apologist? Get a clue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Sorry Kids.. majority rules.. and you would come to the same conclusion the majority of posters came to when they see Wideman mess up  game in and game out this year.. Couple his poor play with his refusal to step up for his fellow teamates and he is what everyone but a few consider him.. (Maybe they should move his locker away from Ryder)... As good as he played last year, he has been a major disappointment on many fronts this year...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Of course, the irony here is that Wideman scored the game-winning goal and played an excellent game vs. the Rangers, especially during the four-minute PK.

I didn't get a chance to rewatch the incident, but I'm always wary of pointing fingers over things that happen on the ice,  because we as fans have a much better view of things, not to mention replay. Did the hit on Stuart happen within Wideman's field of vision, or did he have his back to the play? Was he skating toward the play as it happened (as Bergeron was), or was he headed the other way (as defensemen usually do when their partner goes for the puck, making themselves available for the outlet pass)?

All irrelevant, I suppose. Much more fun to heap abuse on the guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Hunwick sat out while Wideman played today.....arrrgg....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hunwick's been worse than Wideman for the last 30 games.  He looks alternately scared and determined not to be scared, and so out of position looking to make hits or plays.  He should have had to battle Boychuk for ice time right from camp.

As for DW, yes, he scored the winning goal, but that whole sequence started with a very Dennis play where, for once, he got lucky.  He skated toward the slot with the puck (how many times did Bruin defenseman do that today!) under pressure, lost it, regained it half a second before a Ranger walked into a slapper from the hash mark, then managed to start the rush.  Most of the season, he falls down, the Ranger takes the slapper, and the game's tied.  I'm torn between thinking some guys never learn and kudos to the dude for still having the confidence to do something that risky despite how rarely it's turned out for him this year!

As for defending Stu...I don't care.  I just don't care if Wideman does or not.  As long as someone does it.  Small steps and we'll worry about DW having his teammates backs at a later date.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Hunwick's been worse than Wideman for the last 30 games.  He looks alternately scared and determined not to be scared, and so out of position looking to make hits or plays.  He should have had to battle Boychuk for ice time right from camp. As for DW, yes, he scored the winning goal, but that whole sequence started with a very Dennis play where, for once, he got lucky.  He skated toward the slot with the puck (how many times did Bruin defenseman do that today!) under pressure, lost it, regained it half a second before a Ranger walked into a slapper from the hash mark, then managed to start the rush.  Most of the season, he falls down, the Ranger takes the slapper, and the game's tied.  I'm torn between thinking some guys never learn and kudos to the dude for still having the confidence to do something that risky despite how rarely it's turned out for him this year! As for defending Stu...I don't care.  I just don't care if Wideman does or not.  As long as someone does it.  Small steps and we'll worry about DW having his teammates backs at a later date.
    Posted by Bookboy007
    Agree with the majority of your opinions..  As for not caring that DW didn't step up to defend Stuart..that's fine for you and me but don't you think the other players see the lack of support from him and are affected by it?Go to battle sometime and have expectations that your brothers will be there to back you up.. then when they don't and everyone sees that.. how do you think that makes them feel?  It's all relevent...

Yeah.. been on a campaign against wideman lately but that's because of his poor performance.. A lot of sins might be overlooked if he stepped up for his teamates.. Intangables count...( just my opinion which has no more value than yours..)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: WIDEMAN ALREADY BEING BLASTED FOR NOT DEFENDING STUART! : Have you watched him play this year you sad sack apologist? Get a clue.
    Posted by wolftears

I wish I knew as much about hockey as you do.Oh well.We can't all be geniuses.Lucky you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from roydelaney. Show roydelaney's posts

Hunwick is not worse than Wideman.  No chance.  Granted, he makes his mistakes but they are generally not game changing like Wideman's turnovers.

It was nice to see Wideman score today.  He genuinely looked surprised that he hit the net!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Funny because I had just put in my vote on the worse Bruin this year , Wideman and he scores the goal .  I won't change my mind though as he's been to me the worse Bruin all season .
    Duinne,  as much as you see all he good things he's done today he almost cost the Bruins a couple goals. 
    Here's two incidents 1-losing the puck at the point in the third and Rangers break out on an odd man rush. Thank you Rask !
    2-Another incident in the 3rd ,  it seemed like he had Dubinsky pinned on the boards behind the net when he just went around him, cut in front of the net , Rask was down and out and if it wasn't for another Bruin (don't recall player) Dubinsky had an open net to score.
    It's just that this season there're more negatives than positives in his game.
    He's also at -17 and that stat alone speaks for itself as the Bruins are a top5 defensive team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Trying to pick between Wideman and Hunwick as to who's worse- says a lot in itself. Wideman saw exactly what happened to Stuart-and did nothing, until after it was obvious that his TEAM MATES  were getting involved, then he THOUGHT it was time to make the half hearted effort.
    Another gross display of weakness that is the single biggest problem that continues to plague this TEAM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Funny because I had just put in my vote on the worse Bruin this year , Wideman and he scores the goal .  I won't change my mind though as he's been to me the worse Bruin all season . Duinne,  as much as you see all he good things he's done today he almost cost the Bruins a couple goals.  Here's two incidents 1-losing the puck at the point in the third and Rangers break out on an odd man rush. Thank you Rask ! 2-Another incident in the 3rd ,  it seemed like he had Dubinsky pinned on the boards behind the net when he just went around him, cut in front of the net , Rask was down and out and if it wasn't for another Bruin (don't recall player) Dubinsky had an open net to score. It's just that this season there're more negatives than positives in his game. He's also at -17 and that stat alone speaks for itself as the Bruins are a top5 defensive team.
    Posted by BsLegion

He's had a terrible year, and he acknowledges that. The thing is, though, he's not an untalented or stupid guy. IMHO he had a confidence crisis early this season and things just spiraled downhill from there.

However, he is still young and knows what his problems are. Fixing them isn't going to be easy, but he played a good game today, which hopefully will give him a boost. So much of playing defense is simply being sure of yourself.

But as for particular criticisms, put ANY defenseman under the microscope for a game and you will see mistakes. It's the nature of the game, and the nature of the position. And the guys on the other team are getting paid too. Sometimes they make a good play and make the defense look stupid. Patrice Bergeron turned Chris Pronger into a turnstile last week; does that mean Pronger is a horrible defenseman?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Note on the Savard hit, Wideman is restraining Cooke and blocking Ryder, Orpik has Ryder.

At 23 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F7LEZ78_o

At first I thought it was Ryder who dropped the ball on Cooke hit, but its Wideman.  Ryder bumped Cooke and then Orpik got in between and then Wideman played peace maker.

So this isn't just once.  It's a pattern.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

If we're relying on Dennis Wideman to defend our players, we're in trouble. He isn't a physical player. He isn't going to get involved physically. So, we can criticize him all we want, but it isn't going to change who he is. Simply not his game. Granted, I'm not sure I want Bergeron flying into the melee with his history of concussion. I like that he wants to stand up for his teammate, but someone else should really do that. We can't afford to have him get a concussion in a fracas.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wompton. Show wompton's posts

I've only heard a few comments about how Dubinsky walked out of the corner and made Wideman look like a Mite.  And whenever he makes a stick check, it's because he got burned already wide.  I don't care if it takes getting rid of Claude, but please send Wideman to Manitoba.  He makes me want Hal Gill back.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

OK, Hal Gill?  That's low.

SL81: Agree totally that Wideman's not sticking up for his teammates is an issue.  But issues resolve themselves in different ways, and one way for this to resolve is for the majority of the team to get back to being a team.  It won't take long before Dennis has a choice - be part of it, or be the miserable kid on the team that everyone hates.  All it would take to push that to a breaking point would be Lucic skating over in the first practice after this kind of incident and saying Dennis, you either fight the next guy who takes a liberty on one of our guys, or you fight me.  Often.  That would be the Messier leadership method.

Duinne: Have to disagree on two points. Pronger looked like a windmill because Bergeron put a sick fake on him.  Wideman often looks like a windmill because he either loses control of the puck or his feet or because someone simply skates around him to the outside or because he loses position on his man along the boards.  Most of that isn't about the other guy playing great hockey.  And I think some of Wideman's problems are easy to fix for a good coach (fire away Wensink).  I'd guess 80% of his mistakes are the result of two things: reaching to make a play instead of moving his feet, and poor skating.  He reaches, misses, and then loses his stride so he either falls or has no momentum.  He has to reach in some cases because he isn't skating hard enough to maintain good position.  These are hockey school problmes.  There are plenty of drills.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

OK, just watched the Rangers-Bruins replay on the NHL Network. Watched the Stuart/Prospal hit, rewound it, and watched it again, twice.

Wideman cuts behind the net as Stuart goes for the puck, circles back in front and is right on Bergeron's shoulder as the hit is made. Bergeron immediately heads for Prospal, and Wideman so close behind him he's practically breathing down his neck. The only way Wideman could have gotten there faster than Patrice would have been for him to run Bergeron over.  

Conclusion: Haggerty doesn't like Wideman. Take anything he writes regarding certain players with a healthy chunk of salt.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

OK, just watched the Rangers-Bruins replay on the NHL Network. Watched the Stuart/Prospal hit, rewound it, and watched it again, twice. Wideman cuts behind the net as Stuart goes for the puck, circles back in front and is right on Bergeron's shoulder as the hit is made. Bergeron immediately heads for Prospal, and Wideman so close behind him he's practically breathing down his neck. The only way Wideman could have gotten there faster than Patrice would have been for him to run Bergeron over.   Conclusion: Haggerty doesn't like Wideman. Take anything he writes regarding certain players with a healthy chunk of salt.
    Posted by duinne

I agree.Wideman was there punching right along with Bergeron.People are so quick to bash Wideman that they will make things up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikebruins8. Show mrmikebruins8's posts

1 post said wideman was a disapointment this yr as i look at it wideman isnt the only one the team as a hole is a disapointment but with 11 games left maybe just maybe the team can play like a team and roll in to the playoffs hot and go far