Winter Classic Rip Off

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

Winter Classic Rip Off

The hype for the Winter Classic is getting on my nerves.  Too much money for seats and merchandise.  Wish the NHL would focus on head shots, getting rid of the instigator rule and consistent ref calls.  But hey, that won't line pockets will it?  Enough is enough.  

Yes, I attend Bruins games in the cheap seats 10 times a year and watch the games at home.  But I won't go to this event even if I was given FREE tickets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

Re: Winter Classic Rip Off

love the winter classic worth every penny love fenway got to be there once in a lifetime opportunity

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsCupiN09. Show bruinsCupiN09's posts

jus leave, if u really wouldnt go to the winter classic even if it was for free u honestly have a problem. i wanna go so bad to this. im willing to pay 250 dollars for one ticket. its a once in a lifetime oppertunity. its at america's most beloved ballpark, it may be under the lights. its gunna be a scene for the century, i think thats the saying. but anyways its a once in a lifetime thing, thats why it cost so much money. im honestly so pumped for this game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think this is an age thing.  I'm 51.  I love the Bruins, but no how no way do I go to Fenway, freeze my kiester off, endure the HORRIBLE sight lines, which are even going to be worse for hockey.   You would have to pay me to go.  And you would have to pay me a lot.  Seriously.

20 years ago, maybe even 10 years ago, I might think it would be fun.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

How do we know it will be a "once in lifetime" event?

If you are 6 years old and they do this again in 2050, you will be 56 years old.

What the O.P. is trying to say is that build up for this one game makes it sound like it is the greatest sporting event ever.

It won't be.

The hype out weighs reality, this is the 2009 Boston Bruins vs. the 2009 Philly Flyers.

Hardly Superbowl XXX-whatever, when the Patroits beat the Rams, not game 6 of the 1975 World Series with Carlton Fisk, not Ted Williams playing both games of a double header to end a season at.406, not Bobby Orr scoring in overtime to win the Cup.

Just another regular season game between to mediocre teams, that just happens to be played inside (outside?) of the oldest ballpark in the world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I agree totally.

I'm sick of hearing about it 24/7 from NESN for the last two months.  I'd love to see a hockey game up close, not go to an "event" where, basically, the hockey is the last thing people are there for.  Monster seats for $900?  So I can watch 10 tiny spots run around on  the ice?
    Thanks anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

357,000 requests for tix  guess u r in the minority...they shoul play 1 game each season at fenway.. its great....snow outside, just like pats oak in 2002...special games

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm in the minority on alot of things.

And I like it better that way.

Popular things are not always good things, especially in 2009, society is de-evolving we have hit our intellectual peak as a civilization.

American Idol, Michael Jackson, Tiger Woods scandal, Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears , all very popular...God help us, I rest my case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

Bruins8 - I would rather spend my money on Bruins vs. Canadiens playoff games.  Inside the Garden with a nice, old fashioned intensity level mixed with some hate and grudges.  That's classic to me.  Now, I can see the appeal of Fenway, but it really gets me riled that the seats are so overpriced and the NHL takes advantage of fans with it's hype.  

No hate toward Bruins fans or hockey fans in general.  Hype and ripping off fans, that's where I have problem. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm pretty sick of it, too.

For those of us who used to play on outdoor rinks frequently in our youth, it was no bargain.  I remember one game one very cold night and the next day my toes really hurt.  I went to the school nurse and 4 of my team mates were there.

If they had it at Harvard Stadium, that would be more fun.  At least you could see the game from any seat.

They should have at least put in temporary bleachers built up to the green monster.

I think its just crazy.  357,000 lunatics aren't that hard to find I guess.
    Oh, and there are like 300 million in this country and another 33 million in Canada, so 357,000 wanting in to this game...  I believe I am in the majority.

At least it is almost done.  Just another 48 hours.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

i dont think 125  225 face valueis ripping off and 357,000 others atleast agree w me...u r talking about a very special event that likely wont ever happen in r lifetime again..if u feel its to much dont pay it... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Taking advantage of your fellow man with high prices and over-hype.

It truly is the American way.

They should call it the "Bernard Madoff Classic." Or the "Bank of America/Citibank Classic."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsenstephanie. Show olsenstephanie's posts

Two thirds of those people sitting there won't even be able to see the game

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

I love the idea and I can't wait to see it but I would only go if I had Monster seats/home plate overhang. Baseball fields for a hockey game are cooler but football fields are better for viewing. I'd rather watch from home.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splittingatom. Show splittingatom's posts

what's with all this "over-priced" talk.  Do people even know what over-priced means.

The definition is that something costs too much, thus people won't by.  By defination, the Winter Classic was under priced, as the secondary market shows.  If you think the NHL is being greedy, they could have been a lot more greedy, by charging market value for the tickets.

Look at the prices on stub-hub and craigslist.  That is the market.  Just because you don't think it's worth it (which is your personal opinion, that I will not question) does not mean its over-priced.  Something being over-priced is based on the market, not your opinion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DARVISH55. Show DARVISH55's posts

I agree Splittingatom, Zillagod acts like some voice of sanity in these posts as if he's more in touch with reality than anyone. It's because the venue itself will hold only a small fraction of the amount of people that are wanting to go, of course people are going to be looking for AT LEAST double what they're worth.

The Winter Classic may be hyped up beyond belief right now, but just because you are angry that you werent lucky enough to score a ticket doesnt mean you should knock it like its something thats not worth the time of day.

NEWSFLASH: The Winter Classic is being hyped up because people cant wait for it to actually happen. (i.e. THIS GUY)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

Splittingattom and Darvish55 you are correct about what the market will bear.  There is always someone willing to pay $900 for a seat or more.  (E.g. the Superbowl).  As a regular fan of hockey, I could afford to buy a ticket.  But I won't because I want to see the game and not just attend an "event" created by the NHL and owners to squeeze more bucks out of fans. 

You're right, it's a personal choice and opinion.  But after seeing how the prices got jacked up at the Garden and the NHL new strategy of charging more for games vs. specific opponents, it irks me because where does it all stop? 

Greed is good a la the movie Wall Street.  Sorry, I'm not buying into it.  Still will watch and wish the Black and Gold well. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I don't like the game regardless of who's playing in it. It's an annual gimmick game, nothing more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

I am not even a big hockey fan but I would go if someone gave me free tickets. I would actually pay to go to the event if given the oppurtunity. I would not pay over face value but that is true fo any event for me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

If I could have gotten the time away from wife and young child, I would have paid just about anything for this once-in-a-lifetime game. I'll be glued to my TV praying the Bruins show up the way they did last night against Atlanta. Time for our Bruins to make a statement to a very large audience...

GO B's!!!

Sections
Shortcuts