"Gumper"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

Re: "Gumper"

In Response to "Gumper":
    Listening to TSN's sounds of the draft segment, when Fleury got picked, as he sat down he said to Thomas "I'd bet on you to go first, Gumper". So is that who Thomas is? Is he a new Gump Worsley, a hall of famer who didn't break into the league until his 30's? At least one player seems to think so. If this season he can add another Vezina, Crozier and Jennings to his name, and maybe a Hart, and dare I dream, a Cup and a Conn Smythe, he'd be a mortal lock.  Anyone else think he may have a shot at the Hall, or at least deserves a comparison to Gump?
    Posted by red75

I would love for TT to attain the level of Gump Worsley...    but there's still a long way to go.

For the record, Gump was 23 when he broke in with the Rangers in 52/53.

Ironically, the next year Gump was back with the Vancouver Canucks (WHL) as he had lost his job to a 28 year old rookie by the name of Johnny Bower for the 53/54 season.

That must have pissed Gump off, because the next year 54/55 he took the job back and Bower got sent to Vancouver.  Bower eventually went to Toronto.

Gump is well known for a quote when he played for the hapless Rangers.  The interviewer asked Gump which team gave him the most trouble...

Gumps answer?  "The Rangers"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Hmmm, I just checked and you're right. Then my questions are who was it it who didn't break in to stay until their 30's (Bower? I know someone did it.) and why would Fleury compare him to Gump? Playing style? Timmy was in his late 20's for his first Bruins game. Stuck a few years later.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

In Response to Re: "Gumper":
    Hmmm, I just checked and you're right. Then my questions are who was it it who didn't break in to stay until their 30's (Bower? I know someone did it.) and why would Fleury compare him to Gump? Playing style? Timmy was in his late 20's for his first Bruins game. Stuck a few years later.
    Posted by red75

Bower is the one you're thinking of.  He toiled in the minors for another 4-5 years before the Leafs claimed him in the interleague draft.  Many Leaf writers have referred to him as a 34 year old rookie (overlooking the 1st season with the Rangers).

The other thing with Bower was that nobody ever knew his true age.  After he retired he admitted that he was actually a year older than anyone knew.  The birthdate in hockeydb.com is actually incorrect- he is really 1 year older.

I only got to see Gump on TV later in his career when he played with the North Stars, but he was a never say die type who did not give up on the puck.   That's probably where the reference came from.  Either that, or the fact that Gump never wore a mask until the last few weeks of his career gave him a recognizable face as an old goalie... kinda like old Timmie??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This season Tim Thomas is the best goalie in the world. He is 36 won a Vezina in a year in which Roberto Luongo and Martin Brodeur missed significant time with injuries,has yet to get past the second round of the playoffs and you are talking Hall Of Fame?..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

This season Tim Thomas is the best goalie in the world. He is 36 won a Vezina in a year in which Roberto Luongo and Martin Brodeur missed significant time with injuries,has yet to get past the second round of the playoffs and you are talking Hall Of Fame?..
    Posted by kelvana33

As I said... there's a long (long, long, long) way to go to attain the level of Gump, or any other HOF goalie for that matter.

Red's point was to note the similarity between TT and some other goalies who didn't make it to the NHL until later in their careers.  And to point out that it would be great if TT is able to follow that lead...

Nobody's reserving a spot for him in the hall based on what he's done so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Posted by kelvana33

As Rascal said I'm not trying to make an argument for him for the HHOF (he's nowhere close yet) I am simply curious about what Fleury's comment meant and who Tim historicaly compares to. Fleury calling him "Gumper" just raised my eyebrows. I was just wondering what it meant.

I wasn't even alive yet when Gump or Bower played their last games, so I was just asking for an opinion. And thanks Rascal - your style comparison sounds like  a logical reason for Fleury's comment. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Posted by kelvana33

he would have won that year even if luongo and brodeur had played. he had great stats. he will win again this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

don cherry had a segment a couple years back compairing tt to gump. he was showing save highlights from both goalies and they were very similar. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I remember that segment on Coaches Corner it was very similar style and attitude.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Thanks - I did a quick search and found that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHBcgCCu_A

Now I get EXACTLY why he was called that. Their style is identical.

Sections
Shortcuts