"Price" not the same goalie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Re: "Price" not the same goalie

In Response to Re: "Price" not the same goalie:
    [QUOTE]Pauly, What part? break it down.  Name any goalie outside of TT that would challenge Price for the Vezina?  Is that so far lost.  I hate the Habs. But i know when I look at their roster and what he has done the 1st part of the year. I mean TT lets in 5 tonight.  I don't blame him for the OT loss against the Habs but many do. Its gotta be hard being a goalie.  Goat last year.  World beater this year.  We only have opinions but I am pretty sure Price would be up for the Vezina.  As for the MVP I believe it would likely be 3 of 4 Lidstrom/Crosby/Stamkos/TT In my opnion though as we have seen in the past awards are a popularity contest.  Not that Sid doesnt deserve to win.  I will end by saying that I am thankful we held onto TT.  Were you supporting him last year like I was or did you rip him and want him dealt for a bag of pucks?
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE] I backed the signing of TT with a vengence Iv'e been a hockey fan for a long time I now my sh#t. I envisioned one of the best duo's in hockey history. By the way I don't want to blow my own horn but................/.;.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Is it just me, or was anyone else expecting (hoping) that there would have been a Carey Price melt-down (ala Patrick Roy), by now?
    He really has handled the pressure in Montreal, great...So far.
    As the pressure ramps up even more as the playoff race tightens, there could still be a chance for an explosion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Pauly, What part? break it down.  Name any goalie outside of TT that would challenge Price for the Vezina?  Is that so far lost.  I hate the Habs. But i know when I look at their roster and what he has done the 1st part of the year. I mean TT lets in 5 tonight.  I don't blame him for the OT loss against the Habs but many do. Its gotta be hard being a goalie.  Goat last year.  World beater this year.  We only have opinions but I am pretty sure Price would be up for the Vezina.  As for the MVP I believe it would likely be 3 of 4 Lidstrom/Crosby/Stamkos/TT In my opnion though as we have seen in the past awards are a popularity contest.  Not that Sid doesnt deserve to win.  I will end by saying that I am thankful we held onto TT.  Were you supporting him last year like I was or did you rip him and want him dealt for a bag of pucks?
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I can name three - Pavelec, Hiller and Howard. None have touched the Tank, but I would put all three either on par with or ahead of Price.

TT has a legitimate shot at 5 NHL awards this year - so far he's a lock for the Vezina, Jennings and Crozier, and has a legitimate shot at the Hart and Pearson/Lindsay (and I hope the Conn Smythe as well). Let's say he gets the three goalie awards, and there's no reason at this point to think he won't, if he gets two of those other three (admittedly an outside shot due to Sid's play, if he comes back soon) he'd tie, I believe as I have not double checked it, the record for most player awards in a season. He likely won't, but he's at least in that conversation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Shup,
    if Price doesnt win the Vezina, he can't have a shot at the HART, its that simple.. And his numbers don't touch thomas, so you can cross him off the ballot at this point..
    On the other hand, strange to see all the thomas support in this thread, when half of the other threads want to sit thomas cause his play as been so off.. 4 losses, 3 of them the team was shut out in..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Was Thomas last year Rasks B#tch??? Was he Ryan Millers B#tch??? Seems to me the top goaltender in world wouldn't be the back up for team U.S.A..unless your calling him that based on a half season..lol I love Timmy Thomas and he is having a great season so far by all standards but for me Tuuka is the better goaltender. If the Olympics were starting tomorrow Ryan Miller would be the starting goalie. Thomas wouldn't even be on Canadas roster. Luongo Fleury Ward..not even getting to Brodeur or Price You don't know enough about hockey to get angeged in a forum battle with me.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

lol... Are you serious? Yes niether Miller nor Thomas would be on Canada's roster because tehy are American....Thomas is having a much better year than all those goalies you just posted.

In fact his "bad year" last year wasnt all that bad and he was playing wiht a torn hip labrum. The year before he won teh vezina so take your hab attitude away from here because the funny thing with hab fans like you its never based on fact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Thomas and Miller would both be on the Canadian roster. Thomas is the hottest hand in the league and Miller is one of the most respected goalies out there.

My buddy and I (I am Canadian, by the way) were recently discussing how goaltending in Canada has gone downhill significnatly. Who do we have? My favorite is Cam Ward. We've also got Luongo (who sucked in the Olympics). Brodeur is over the hill. Fleury is mighty inconsistent. Giguere is old, overrated, and injured. Carey Price is definitely up there, but also inconsistent (and, if you ask me, is a bit of a headcase...watch for this in the future). Who else?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Kelvana,
    so your talking about an injured thomas, as a back up to ryan miller, who was the best player in the tournament..I know most fans dont think his injury really counts, but he won the vezina, played incredible at the start of the season, was hurt and his paly fell off, had surgery and is poised to win the vezina again..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]Was Thomas last year Rasks B#tch??? Was he Ryan Millers B#tch??? Seems to me the top goaltender in world wouldn't be the back up for team U.S.A..unless your calling him that based on a half season..lol I love Timmy Thomas and he is having a great season so far by all standards but for me Tuuka is the better goaltender. If the Olympics were starting tomorrow Ryan Miller would be the starting goalie. Thomas wouldn't even be on Canadas roster. Luongo Fleury Ward..not even getting to Brodeur or Price You don't know enough about hockey to get angeged in a forum battle with me.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE] You have officially made a fool of yourself on here. Get your facts straight before posting on here, you sound like a 10 year old just learning the game. You say we would not stand up to you in a forum debate?  You have little experience with posting here, we will eat you alive. Price = doneward spiral. I'm sure that hurts but it is what it is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

red,

If you think those three have been as important to their teams thats an opinion.  None of those cities is a hockey hot bed like montreal.  Howard plays on one of the best(actually the best) system in hockey.  They won the cup with Chris Osgood a few yrs back who shouldnt have an NHL job.  Price in Detroit?

Listen, I get that he is a Hab.  But to deny what he has done this year is just wrong.  He will be up for the Vezina at seasons end if he keeps playing well.  1/2 a season to go. 

as far as MVP go.  My point is that he is more valuable to his team than TT is to his.  I stick to that considering the rosters.  Lord there is already a post about replacing TT with Rask. 

Pauly- you still havent broken down how I am so far off course with Price that it is laughable.  Can we agree that he is there team MVP?  And can we agree that he likely will be up for the Vezina at this rate?  I don't think that is so far off.

Cheers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Price" not the same goalie : Last year he was halaks b#tch, By the way our goalie has a 19/4/6...946 record, and your goalie has a 21/15/3...919. Don't come on this site bragging about your goaltending. The bruins have the top goaltender in the world and there backup is second to none. Your not in our league boy. 
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]
    Yeeeessss.......I love it!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

To the poster who pointed out that Thomas would not make Canadas roster because he and Miller are American.......wow

Tim Thomas is having a great 1st half, but so is Price, but don't forget Thomas won his vezina in a year when Luongo and brodeur missed significant time due to injury.

Bottom line is pauly said Price was off this year when he is playing the best hockey of his career. If he was wearing a B's shirt he would be WICKED AWESOME DUDE!!

If I had to win 1 game, I would not pick Price as my goalie but I wouldnt pick Thomas either..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Kelvana,
    when the canadians had to pick one goalie to win a game they didn't pick price either, I think I remember him riding the pine clean through the play offs last year..

Also in regards to the olympics..The invites happen late summer, roster is named in DEC.. Thomas would have been on any team in the world at that point in the season..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

more than any position on the ice the goalies are judged by their numbers- an no its not goals against that matters the most...its save %. thomas has BY FAR the best save % in the league---just for kicks throw in shutouts and goals against if you want...it only solidifies the point.and by the way price has not looked that good recently- its started- the carey price meltdown!! let TT melt down anytime he wants... we got tuukka!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]   Is it just me, or was anyone else expecting (hoping) that there would have been a Carey Price melt-down (ala Patrick Roy), by now? He really has handled the pressure in Montreal, great...So far. As the pressure ramps up even more as the playoff race tightens, there could still be a chance for an explosion.
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be suprised to see an explosion as well. I also wouldn't be suprised to see Auld handle more of the starts down the stretch as Price implodes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Price's play has declined a bit recently, but then again so has Thomas'. Both of their starts to the season were incredible. The D situation in Mtl has obviously had somewhat of an effect, but neither Thomas nor Price was going to carry a .950 save % for the whole season. I give Price full marks for flourishing in such a pressure cooker, especially when the fanbase was ready to run him out of town last year. With that said, I'll still take Thomas.

Can't we all just agree that they are both damned fine goalies?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]red, If you think those three have been as important to their teams thats an opinion.  None of those cities is a hockey hot bed like montreal.  Howard plays on one of the best(actually the best) system in hockey.  They won the cup with Chris Osgood a few yrs back who shouldnt have an NHL job.  Price in Detroit? Listen, I get that he is a Hab.  But to deny what he has done this year is just wrong.  He will be up for the Vezina at seasons end if he keeps playing well.  1/2 a season to go.  as far as MVP go.  My point is that he is more valuable to his team than TT is to his.  I stick to that considering the rosters.  Lord there is already a post about replacing TT with Rask.  Pauly- you still havent broken down how I am so far off course with Price that it is laughable.  Can we agree that he is there team MVP?  And can we agree that he likely will be up for the Vezina at this rate?  I don't think that is so far off. Cheers
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE] Up until this past month I would agree he was THERE MVP. But IMO he has no chance at the vezina, that is reserved for the leaque's best and in the past month he is not in that catagory. I think a person needs to watch a number of hab games to see what I'm trying to say. He's played very well but is letting in bad goals at clutch times in the game just like last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I just seen on off the record J Roenick was asked what the habs need to make a playoff run like last year and he said goaltending (surprise) and that Price needs to pick it up, and that he does not look like the same goalie as earlier this year.

Sorry shup, I'm not the only one that has seen this.

P.S  IMO he is still playing very well, but not stealing games as earlier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to "Price" not the same goalie:
    [QUOTE]I went back a few days ago and checked out his save percentage for the past 3 or 4 weeks.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

How many actual games have you watched?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to "Price" not the same goalie : How many actual games have you watched?
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]I lost count back in nov.

Montreal gazette Jan.04/11
    Pat Hickey wrote.....There are two major problems that have led to the habs slump. The first is the lack of scoring and that has been exacerbated by the decline in Prices play.
    Price has a 2-7-1 record since Dec.10 with a 3.57 gaa. and a 853 save percentage......

Jan.13th was my first post on this matter.....if you go back about a month from that my first comment refers to the same time frame (within a week or so) that Pat Hickey is writing about.
    How many actual games have you watched?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think Price is talented and strong, and for international reasons I am glad he is a Canadian. But with a win tomorrow Tank will be leading or tied for the league lead in every single goalie category (except assists most likely - he's currently second :p ) There's not a comparison beteen the two this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]I think Price is talented and strong, and for international reasons I am glad he is a Canadian. But with a win tomorrow Tank will be leading or tied for the league lead in every single goalie category (except assists most likely - he's currently second :p ) There's not a comparison beteen the two this year.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE] Agreed, he is a very good young goalie. Just thought I would throw in some facts to back my posts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]To the poster who pointed out that Thomas would not make Canadas roster because he and Miller are American.......wow Tim Thomas is having a great 1st half, but so is Price, but don't forget Thomas won his vezina in a year when Luongo and brodeur missed significant time due to injury. Bottom line is pauly said Price was off this year when he is playing the best hockey of his career. If he was wearing a B's shirt he would be WICKED AWESOME DUDE!! If I had to win 1 game, I would not pick Price as my goalie but I wouldnt pick Thomas either..
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]  You hab fans like twisting things.
    Please show me where I said he is off THIS YEAR? My earlier posts clearly suggest he was not playing as well for the past 3-4 weeks, and in my more recent posts I believe I have supplied information to back my opinion..

Every goalie will have his ups and downs in a long season. Price could stand on his head for the rest of the season and Thomas could drop off (who knows).

Opinions are nothing more than opinions, unless you have something to back it up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Silence is golden.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Price" not the same goalie : I lost count back in nov.  How many actual games have you watched?
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

All of them but three. That's why I was asking. Price went through a short period where he fell off somewhat, but he also has been asked to shoulder even more of the load since both Gorges and Markov are out. The former was a bigger loss, since Markov has been out since very early in the season. And while Wiesnewski is a good pickup, his role isn't exactly to shut down opponents players.

The result: Price faces more high quality shots, and most of the time, he's handled that very well. His short slump is an anamoly: he wasn't as bad as the numbers indicated, just like he wasn't as otherworldy as his numbers looked earlier in the season. Numbers don't lie,but they don't tell the whole truth either.  January's bear this out quite well: 6 games with a save pct over 93, and 3 where it's been below 90 (one against the Flyers, when he faced a barrage of difficult shots, as the Flyers are a team that is a) better than MTL and b) matches up very well against them, as they can exploit every Habs deficiency).

Tonight's a great example. He let in a softie to open the game, allowed a PP goal later that he had no chance to stop, and was very solid the rest of the way. And that's what he's been the majority of the time since the inevitable cooloff: solid (and sometimes exceptional).

The bottom line is that to this point, Price has been the Canadiens MVP, and it hasn't really been close. That's still the case now, and if Price did fall off recently, it hasn't been to the degree that has been indicated. He won't win the Hart or Vezina (and I don't think anyone sane would ever have suggested that he could, given the year Thomas is having) but he's been one of the league's best this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Price" not the same goalie : All of them but three. That's why I was asking. Price went through a short period where he fell off somewhat, but he also has been asked to shoulder even more of the load since both Gorges and Markov are out. The former was a bigger loss, since Markov has been out since very early in the season. And while Wiesnewski is a good pickup, his role isn't exactly to shut down opponents players. The result: Price faces more high quality shots, and most of the time, he's handled that very well. His short slump is an anamoly: he wasn't as bad as the numbers indicated, just like he wasn't as otherworldy as his numbers looked earlier in the season. Numbers don't lie,but they don't tell the whole truth either.  January's bear this out quite well: 6 games with a save pct over 93, and 3 where it's been below 90 (one against the Flyers, when he faced a barrage of difficult shots, as the Flyers are a team that is a) better than MTL and b) matches up very well against them, as they can exploit every Habs deficiency). Tonight's a great example. He let in a softie to open the game, allowed a PP goal later that he had no chance to stop, and was very solid the rest of the way. And that's what he's been the majority of the timesd up[since the inevitable cooloff: solid (and sometimes exceptional). The bottom line is that to this point, Price has been the Canadiens MVP, and it hasn't really been close. That's still the case now, and if Price did fall off recently, it hasn't been to the degree that has been indicated. He won't win the Hart or Vezina (and I don't think anyone sane would ever have suggested that he could, given the year Thomas is having) but he's been one of the league's best this year.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE] I work 90 hours a week and I'm tired now. I'll respond to your hab crap in the near future.
     If you could dig up some FACTS that refer to the same time frame that this post is about ,it will help your cause. 

P.S  When is the last time you seen Thomas fold up his tent because off injury's or any other reason you could think of?  Answer = NEVER. That's what seperates him from Price, and makes him the best (no excuses) Goodnight.

Sections
Shortcuts