"u.s. a"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Re: "u.s. a"

In Response to Re: "u.s. a":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : I'm going to have to sort of go ahead and disagree with this (name the movie reference).  I know there is now way to prove it, but I'd wager there are more Bruin fans in Canada than in the USA.  B's fans are everywhere up here. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

"Office Space"...perhaps the greatest underrated film of the last 20 years.

This thread is ridiculously long for something quite simple: Chanting "USA" for your team just b/c it's based in Boston makes NO SENSE when the players who COMPRISE THAT TEAM are MOSTLY CANADIAN.

It's simple and pure jingoistic ignorance in its worst display...the "Ugly American" derided by so many--rightly so--around the world....and the reason the chant dies on the vine--as someone else pointed out--is b/c it's a minority of idiot fans who choose to take part in it....so it doesn't take and it peters out and everyone who's done it looks as stupid as they possibly can while the rest of the real fans who came to watch hockey get on with the game.

(And I really could care less if it's practiced by Canadians who choose to boo during the US National anthem --they're just the Canadian ignorant counterpart...There are stupid people everywhere,...it's not unique to America or any other country. What's consistent is that the stupid people are a fringe minority (just like in politics) who happen to be the loudest b/c that's the only way they know how to draw attention to themselves. And they do. But their message is inevitably revealed for what it is: base ignorance. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

NAS, like i said there's no way to prove it, so i wont argue with you.  however, i'm not so sure about the 1 in 20 mass residents being a b's fan if you don't include bandwagon fans, but true hockey fans.  i think there are more mass residents who'd watch a sox preseason game before watching a bruins regular season game.  atlantic canada has a population of 2.5 mil.  i think there are probably more bruins fans in those 2.5 mil than mass has in 6.5 mil.  my beer league hockey team consists of 2 bruins fans out of 13 guys.  my work place consists of 8 bruins fans out of 45 employees.  i know that's a small sample and is not stastically sound.  remember there are more hockey fans in canada's 33 mil than america's 300 mil.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My beer league team last year had 16 players:  14 B's fan, a Habs fan and a really weird goalie who pledged his heart to the Dallas Stars.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

if i were you, i'd shoot high whenever that habs fan is in front of the net.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Who are you trying to kid. there is no chance you played in a beer league or any other league for that matter

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If we're going to fully analyze the chant, allow me to bring up the most popular chant, "Let's Go Bruins!"

"Let's" means "let us."

Are the Bruins fans asking to for permission to leave?  They are all chanting "Let us go!  Let us go!"  Why do they want leave?  Why do they need the Bruins permission to leave the building?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]If we're going to fully analyze the chant, allow me to bring up the most popular chant, "Let's Go Bruins!" "Let's" means "let us." Are the Bruins fans asking to for permission to leave?  They are all chanting "Let us go!  Let us go!"  Why do they want leave?  Why do they need the Bruins permission to leave the building?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE] Let it go, you lost again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : According to recent stats, there are about 33M people in Canada. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=sp_pop_totl&idim=country:CAN&dl=en&hl=en&q=population+of+canada If one out of every hundred people in Canada is a Bruins fan, that would place 330,000 Bruins fans in Canada. Massachusetts has 6.5M residents. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&idim=state:25000&dl=en&hl=en&q=population+of+massachusetts It being local, let's say that one out of 20 people in Massachusetts is a Bruins fan.  That would put 325,000 fans in Massachusetts alone.  Remember that there are over 300M people in the USA. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=uspopulation&met=population&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=population+of+united+states There are plenty of people across the country that are also Bruins fans. My guess would be that there are not more Bruins fans in Canada.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

One out of every 20 a Bruins fan in this state?

I wish.

I'm in Sudbury MA.  Of the 11 neighbors around me, none know what hockey is.

We had a big neighborhood party and they were all so curious about my backyard rink, seeing me carrying my sticks and bags in and out - and an occasional beer league party at my house... they were fascinated.  One even asked if I played for the Bruins to show you how incredibly clueless they were (I'm 52 and carrying a few too many kilos around my middle).  Only one person there knew of a neighbor further down the street who played hockey.

At my office, out of 75 people - 2 hockey fans. (Framingham)
    Previous job 30 person company - no hockey fans. (Sudbury)
    Previous company to that, 20 people here in MA, main office in Houston - no hockey fans. (Soutborough)
    Previous company 200 people in our office.  I knew of about a dozen fans, and one very casual fan, didn't really know the rules. (Waltham)
    Previous company to that, 300 people, 1 sth, 7 fans, 1 very casual fan. (Cambridge)

My wife's infamous last office party (ahem), (Fitchburg) 20 people, but husbands, wives significant others came along - 1 fan.

1 out of 20?  Inside rt 128 maybe.

It *should* be 1 out of 20.

There are huge hockey dead zones, western ma it seems many of the border towns to ct ri vt ny never heard of hockey.   (next to NH it's reasonably hot).

How many people on this very board come from this state?  As a guess, I would sat 50% at best.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : "Office Space"...perhaps the greatest underrated film of the last 20 years.  
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Well done.  I have to go ahead and agree with this. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" :  It being local, let's say that one out of 20 people in Massachusetts is a Bruins fan.  That would put 325,000 fans in Massachusetts alone.  Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

1 in 20?  Your dreaming.  Women...children?  Every adult male is a bruin fan? (exaggerated to make a point, don't bother).  I'l bet half of them think the Bruins are a MLS team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : 1 in 20?  Your dreaming.  Women...children?  Every adult male is a bruin fan? (exaggerated to make a point, don't bother).  I'l bet half of them think the Bruins are a MLS team. 

Of course that isn't the case, just like 1 in 100 people in Canada are not Bruins fans.    That was used for illustration purposes only.    If 1% of Canadians are Bruins fans and 5% of people from Mass are Bruins fans, then there are not more Bruins fans in Canada.   The entire theory is incredibly stupid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : Of course that isn't the case, just like 1 in 100 people in Canada are not Bruins fans.    That was used for illustration purposes only.    If 1% of Canadians are Bruins fans and 5% of people from Mass are Bruins fans, then there are not more Bruins fans in Canada.   The entire theory is incredibly stupid.

If it's and but's were candy and nuts......and yes your number theory is incredibly stupid because, as we said, there is no way to prove it.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : If it's and but's were candy and nuts......and yes your number theory is incredibly stupid because, as we said, there is no way to prove it.  

Yeah, silly me.  I offered some numbers while you guys went with..."I think".

I'm stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" :I'm stupid.
    AMEN!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TTisOverrated. Show TTisOverrated's posts

I was at the Montreal game. I hated how the drunk idiots behind me were boong the canadian anthem, when 75% of the bruins roster is canadian

Lucic
    Horton
    Bergeron
    Recchi
    Ryder
    Seguin
    Peverly
    Kelly
    Marchand
    Thornton
    Campbell
    Paille
    Boychuk
    McQuaid
    Ference
    Savard

Non canadians:
    Krejci
    Chara
    Kaberle
    Seidenberg
    Kampfer
    Thomas
    Rask

16/23, or 69%, of the bruins are canadian. Why resort to montreals immaturity and boo anthems? I dont get it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]I was at the Montreal game. I hated how the drunk idiots behind me were boong the canadian anthem, when 75% of the bruins roster is canadian Lucic Horton Bergeron Recchi Ryder Seguin Peverly Kelly Marchand Thornton Campbell Paille Boychuk McQuaid Ference Savard Non canadians: Krejci Chara Kaberle Seidenberg Kampfer Thomas Rask 16/23, or 69%, of the bruins are canadian. Why resort to montreals immaturity and boo anthems? I dont get it
    Posted by TTisOverrated[/QUOTE]

There's nothing to get. You're 100% right, and the "usa" chants are incredibly ridiculous--brought on by the drunkest, stupidest, most ignorant minority of fans who have even the slightest understanding of hockey, and even less of what it means to respect the country that brought you the sport you're supposed to love so much in the first place. (i.e. No Canada, no hockey, no Bruins.)

Chant "USA" during Olympic hockey--that at least makes sense since 100% of the players on the ice are American and it even says
    "USA" on the uniform.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I was at the Montreal game. I hated how the drunk idiots behind me were boong the canadian anthem, when 75% of the bruins roster is canadian Lucic Horton Bergeron Recchi Ryder Seguin Peverly Kelly Marchand Thornton Campbell Paille Boychuk McQuaid Ference Savard Non canadians: Krejci Chara Kaberle Seidenberg Kampfer Thomas Rask 16/23, or 69%, of the bruins are canadian. Why resort to montreals immaturity and boo anthems? I dont get it
    Posted by TTisOverrated[/QUOTE]

and so was I at the game and I didn't one peep of boing of the Canadian Anthem.
    Actually I couldn't believe how many Bruin fans sing the Canadian National anthem.  Someone in the washroom said everytime he hears O'Canada he gets shivers.  Also added he always sings along.

P.S. Wow NAS has so many haters.  I don't agree with the chant although I get his point. Also cannot believe there are more Bruin fans in Canada than in the U.S.  Simple arithmetic .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]USA okay fine.....but why ole ole ole?!?!?!? even if it was mocking them. I was soooooo waiting for a na na na na....hey hey hey!!!! At about the 10 min mark of the SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by HABH8R[/QUOTE]

and it wasn't ole ole ole. Around us it was you're gay , you're gay ,you're gay ,you're gay

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : and it wasn't ole ole ole. Around us it was you're gay , you're gay ,you're gay ,you're gay
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I think this is great, but where are the protesters of the USA chant on this one?  Isn't that slightly barbaric and classless to be hurling such hateful and hurtful slurs? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : I think this is great, but where are the protesters of the USA chant on this one?  Isn't that slightly barbaric and classless to be hurling such hateful and hurtful slurs? 

Actually--yeah. If that's what they were really chanting.

Watching NESN at home I simply thought it was a mock of the Habs fans' signature "Ole" chant--which would be clever--and Edwards said it was, so from the vantage point of having my TV turned at fairly low volume, I certainly didn't hear it as "you're gay, etc."

But IF that's what they were chanting--even F*ing dumber than "usa"...actually--let's call it a wash....both moronic...both non-sensical (they're saying what? That the Habs are gay? Or that Habs fans are gay? Which means exactly what? and has what? to do with hockey???)....either way, it's a minority of dumbf*ck doosh-nozzles proving themselves to be the kind of idiots who break bottles in the street, throw up on other people b/c they can't handle their liquor, and generally make life just a little bit more annoying than it has to be for the rest of us.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I was a little iffy putting this up . As Seinfeld said in an episode " Not  that there's anything wrong with it "
    Good point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : Actually--yeah. If that's what they were really chanting. Watching NESN at home I simply thought it was a mock of the Habs fans' signature "Ole" chant--which would be clever--and Edwards said it was, so from the vantage point of having my TV turned at fairly low volume, I certainly didn't hear it as "you're gay, etc." But IF that's what they were chanting--even F*ing dumber than "usa"...actually--let's call it a wash....both moronic...both non-sensical (they're saying what? That the Habs are gay? Or that Habs fans are gay? Which means exactly what? and has what? to do with hockey???)....either way, it's a minority of dumbf*ck doosh-nozzles proving themselves to be the kind of idiots who break bottles in the street, throw up on other people b/c they can't handle their liquor, and generally make life just a little bit more annoying than it has to be for the rest of us.

I think it's more that the chant is "gay" and calling a people "gay".
    Let's face it, ole ole ole is a soccer chant.  Even many Montreal fans hate it.
    Maybe they should've chanted , you're lame , you're lame ,you're lame ,you're lame ,you're lame .
    In the end it would be the same intention and points the same message across.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : I think it's more that the chant is "gay" and calling a people "gay". Let's face it, ole ole ole is a soccer chant.  Even many Montreal fans hate it. Maybe they should've chanted , you're lame , you're lame ,you're lame ,you're lame ,you're lame . In the end it would be the same intention and points the same message across.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Same intention? Not really. "You're lame" would be clever--it's a commentary onm the fact that the Habs fans use a soccer chant at a hockey game. That IS lame.

"You;re gay" is intsead a statement of buffoonery and ignorance. (and b4 anyone gets the idea that I'm some how offended b/c I'm gay--I'm not. Wife, kid, etc....and yeah, as Seinfeld would add "not that there;s anything wrong with that."

What annoys me about this is not so much the offensiveness...(which is a legitimate gripe) but the SHEER STUPIDITY. There's enough ignorance and pointless spewing of hatred in the world outside of sports, that we don't need it INSIDE. I'd like to think MOST Bruins fans are better than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "u.s. a" : I'd like to think MOST Bruins fans are better than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Outside of the common, "Let's Go Bruins!", the other two major chants were "USA USA USA" and "You're gay!"

Might be time to re-evaluate your thoughts on Bruins fans.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I came up with the "You're lame" myself LOL.

Sections
Shortcuts