My top 5 of all time...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: My top 5 of all time...

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Amazing how conversations revert to comparing point totals. Comparing point totals from the 60's ( or whenever ) to now is absolutely meaningless. 

Different eras with the game being played totally different on so many levels.

I think the stats prove that Orr was the best.  

+124 and +597 career - and consider how short that career was.

I wish they had - or would like to see stats on how many shots Orr blocked and how much time Orr was in possesion of the puck when he was on the ice.

He was just as likely to make an incredible defensive play as an offensive one.

And remember that old Boston Garden ice was tiny and he played half his career on it, if he had more ice, he would have had more space.  Go ahead and see how many goals Wayne whatsisname scored in the old Boston Garden.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Oh, and Orr is my top 1, the rest don't matter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

My brother-in-law bought me an old bootleg Orr video from the hockey news years ago that just had raw footage of him carrying the puck, not just the stuff that you see on Don Cherry video's. There were literally dozens of clips of Orr skating through the opposing team end to end but not scoring and others of him skating through the entire team but passing it off. The most amazing footage of all though was the clips of him killing a penalty, unbelievable, the puck on his stick, like attached with string skating around for a minute and a half and then icing it.There are some things that stats don't show. I don't care what anyone says, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, could not come close to doing that, not even Khudo. Bobby was simply the greatest hockey player of all time,bar none.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I was at a B's game vs. the Kings in the early 90's.  I watched Gretzky work between the blue and red line, by himself, for what seemed like at least 30 seconds.

Amazing puck control.  Nope, not on any highlight reel that I know of.  It wasn't a highlight.  It was just Gretzky hockey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

dez, that's why I don't have blind trust in media reports (not that you do...).  Some guy with Le Devoir writes that he was benched for the rest of that game, guy from the Gazette translates it poorly and assumed it means for the next game, Sportsnet picks it up as Therrien showing the firm hand of the new Shabby regime....

I think you nailed the scenario Book because that's basically what was reported by multiple outlets. They were applauding Therien for showing PK that he's not above the team. Now I see he only skated about 5minutes less than normal.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I was at a B's game vs. the Kings in the early 90's.  I watched Gretzky work between the blue and red line, by himself, for what seemed like at least 30 seconds.

Amazing puck control.  Nope, not on any highlight reel that I know of.  It wasn't a highlight.  It was just Gretzky hockey.

Growing up in the Peg I loved to hate Gretzky, but some of my fondest memories of hockey were watching him dismantle the Jets in the old Winnipeg Arena with puck dominance like what you've described. It was almost as if when he decided he wanted to keep that puck, there was nothing any of the opposing players could do to get it off his stick. He could make quality players like Hawerchuk and Carlyle look like bantam players.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And I'm proud to say most of us have taken the high road and not called him anything profane for suggesting Crosby belongs in that conversation.  Coming back to my test, I have admired Crosby's strength and composure with the puck, and appreciated that he is a terrific player.  But he is not sublime like the four I mentioned.  I think Richard probably was, but I'm not that old. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Never saw Orr play or Richard, so if I did a list of best all-time and had them on it, wiuldn't be right, for me at least. Started watching in in 85 when i was 10.

1. Gretzky

2. Lemieux

3. Crosby

4. Yzerman

5. Sakic

I like to put goalies in a different category.

1. Roy

2. Brodeur

3. Hasek

4. Richter

5. Belfour

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Being old enough to have seen him play, I've got to go with Orr. The level of difference between him and everyone else was as wide as the Grand Canyon. He had a short career and I suppose you can subtract for that  but he was simply dazzling at every facet of the game.

Nothing against Gretzky at all, he is far and away the most dynamic offensive player I've ever seen, and Lemieux isn't even that close in my eyes...but note I said offensive player in reference to Gretzky. For an all-around hockey player, there is #4 Bobby Orr and then there is everyone else. Because his career is not over yet, I'll leave Crosby out the conversation... but when all is said and done Sid will be top 5.

Orr

Gretzky

Lemieux

Richard

Howe

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

Being old enough to have seen him play, I've got to go with Orr. The level of difference between him and everyone else was as wide as the Grand Canyon. He had a short career and I suppose you can subtract for that  but he was simply dazzling at every facet of the game.

Nothing against Gretzky at all, he is far and away the most dynamic offensive player I've ever seen, and Lemieux isn't even that close in my eyes...but note I said offensive player in reference to Gretzky. For an all-around hockey player, there is #4 Bobby Orr and then there is everyone else. Because his career is not over yet, I'll leave Crosby out the conversation... but when all is said and done Sid will be top 5.

Orr

Gretzky

Lemieux

Richard

Howe

Was fortunate enough to see him play live as well, against the Kings in the old forum, 6-2 B's,Orr with 1 goal, 3 assists as i remember it. The King stars at the time were Juha Widing and Butch Goring........man i'm starting to feel old......better have a nap....zzzzzzzz.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Got to agree with BadHab here.....Orr and Gretzky. The rest....meh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I don't have Gretzky - Orr alone.

+124 - I'll rest my hat on that.

As near as I can come to aknowledging Wayne, I would easily say the best forward of all time, but Orr is the best player.  Orr controlled the whole game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

As near as I can come to aknowledging Wayne, I would easily say the best forward of all time, but Orr is the best player.  Orr controlled the whole game.

No argument from me on any account.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Top 5 (non goalies)

I've said plenty of times that comparing Gretzky and Orr is impossible: 2 guys who played different positions in different eras who both built franchises (in Orr's case, re-built is probably more accurate) and changed the way the game was played. So put them 1-2 in any order and you'll get no complaint from me, because rating them is a circular argument.

3) Gordie Howe: an intimidaiting physical player with tremendous offensive gifts
    4) Mario Lemieux: people who say he's soft forget his few years in the league. Injury plagued, sure, but the only offensive talent of the post-expansion era to rival Gretzky so far.
    5) Maurice Richard: never has a hockey player meant so much to so many. And he could score some goals, too

NOTE: on the "Subban was scratched" thing, he sat for a lot of the 2nd period vs. NYI after being partially responsible for a bad change / too many men penalty. Came back for the 3rd and did OK ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

Top 5 (non goalies)

I've said plenty of times that comparing Gretzky and Orr is impossible: 2 guys who played different positions in different eras who both built franchises (in Orr's case, re-built is probably more accurate) and changed the way the game was played. So put them 1-2 in any order and you'll get no complaint from me, because rating them is a circular argument.

3) Gordie Howe: an intimidaiting physical player with tremendous offensive gifts
    4) Mario Lemieux: people who say he's soft forget his few years in the league. Injury plagued, sure, but the only offensive talent of the post-expansion era to rival Gretzky so far.
    5) Maurice Richard: never has a hockey player meant so much to so many. And he could score some goals, too

NOTE: on the "Subban was scratched" thing, he sat for a lot of the 2nd period vs. NYI after being partially responsible for a bad change / too many men penalty. Came back for the 3rd and did OK ;)

Kennedy, did you by chance hear any of the same exaggerated reports that I did?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Nicklas Lidstrom +450

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Plus didn't Orr do his own fighting, dez?  I don't recall Gretzky, as magnificent as he was, doing that.

You don't need to fight to be a hockey player.  The willingness and ability may make some players more valuable, but it doesn't diminish great players.  Mike Bossy, according to hockeyfights.com, had one career fight.  Does that have any impact on his place in history?  Not at all in my book.

You're right, NAS.  There are many examples of fabulous players, HOFers not known for fighting.  Jean Ratelle, Johnny Bucyk, Pavel Datsyuk, Dave Keon, Stan Mikita won it twice, Rick Middleton, Joe Sakic and Gil Perreault are just a few.  I referenced Orr's fighting as something he did that Gretzky generally didn't as a contrast in the two.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Lidstrom can't even hold Ray Bourque's jock. Truth.

That's just not true and I'm a massive Bourque fan.  I probably take Ray, but they are in the same category.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

And I'm proud to say most of us have taken the high road and not called him anything profane for suggesting Crosby belongs in that conversation.  Coming back to my test, I have admired Crosby's strength and composure with the puck, and appreciated that he is a terrific player.  But he is not sublime like the four I mentioned.  I think Richard probably was, but I'm not that old. 

Who used a profanity?

Nobody.  That was my point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Nicklas Lidstrom +450

kel, Orr was +124 for a single season.  +597 career - and probably over +600 but they didn't keep that stat for his rookie season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Thank you all for the awesome responses, although I'm not a B's fan I live and die hockey and work for the NHL. You all were very intelligent and a great read and I will definitely start posting here more. 

Although each of you have every right and with reason to pick Orr as your number 1 I know for a fact after surfing the net and reading this same sort of discussion on Other forums the percentage of him being #1 on everyone's list droPs alot in comparison to here, although never lower then 3rd spot or in most cases 2nd.

Unfortunately for me I'm 29 so I never got to see alot of actual game film(not highlights) but game film from #4 or alot of the hockey being played in other generations. I mean yes I've seen some but nothing in comparison to the ungodly amount I've watched over the past 15 years.

Good luck to your B's aside from when my Leafs come a knocking:)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

Thank you all for the awesome responses, although I'm not a B's fan I live and die hockey and work for the NHL. You all were very intelligent and a great read and I will definitely start posting here more. 

Although each of you have every right and with reason to pick Orr as your number 1 I know for a fact after surfing the net and reading this same sort of discussion on Other forums the percentage of him being #1 on everyone's list droPs alot in comparison to here, although never lower then 3rd spot or in most cases 2nd.

Unfortunately for me I'm 29 so I never got to see alot of actual game film(not highlights) but game film from #4 or alot of the hockey being played in other generations. I mean yes I've seen some but nothing in comparison to the ungodly amount I've watched over the past 15 years.

Good luck to your B's aside from when my Leafs come a knocking:)

If you live and die hockey, there is no way you put Mario as #1.  If you've found a group of people who have put Orr out of the Top 2, you've found a group of people who hate the Bruins and/or haven't a clue.

Sections
Shortcuts