My top 5 of all time...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: My top 5 of all time...

41-31-62. Sounds like Orr had a bad second year.  Good thing dez wasnt around then or he wouldnt be proven.  :-).  PS. Pk subbans stats are similar in the first 2 yrs.  haha. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Amazing how conversations revert to comparing point totals. Comparing point totals from the 60's ( or whenever ) to now is absolutely meaningless. 

Different eras with the game being played totally different on so many levels.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

41-31-62. Sounds like Orr had a bad second year.  Good thing dez wasnt around then or he wouldnt be proven.  :-).  PS. Pk subbans stats are similar in the first 2 yrs.  haha. 

No, that's not baiting...

I'm in the camp of having Orr and Gretzky 1 and 2, with Mario a ways behind.  There was a period where Mario was probably the best goal scorer I've seen, but I don't think he changed the game like the other two.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

No, that's not baiting...

I'm in the camp of having Orr and Gretzky 1 and 2, with Mario a ways behind.  There was a period where Mario was probably the best goal scorer I've seen, but I don't think he changed the game like the other two.

It was a joke.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Amazing how conversations revert to comparing point totals. Comparing point totals from the 60's ( or whenever ) to now is absolutely meaningless. 

Different eras with the game being played totally different on so many levels.

I agree.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Sorry, I know I put this up here before, but when we talk about Bobby. I think that Bobby Clark, Bobby Hull & Milt Schmidt describe Bobby Orr the best .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1fMcTq8Esk

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I only saw Bobby Orr play his last 3 full seasons with the Bruins, while living in Massachusetts, albeit at a young age. When I moved to Edmonton the year after Gretzky scored his 92 goals, my first impression of Gretzky was that of dissapointment, as my only knowledge of his play was that of reading boxscores from newspapers I was reading at Ohio State University, where I thought, because he was scoring all those points, he must therefore be the best player ever.

However, after seeing Gretzky play more and realizing his great vision, I'm of the opinion that Orr was the best defenseman ever, and Gretzky was the best forward ever, with that being the end of the conversation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

I beacame a BRUINS fan when I saw this kid at 16 ...the GREATEST HOCKEY PLAYER OF ALL TIME

1.   BOBBY ORR

2.   Mario Lemieux

3.   Wayne

4.   Gordie Howe

5.  Doug Harvey

6.  KHUDO

youre so stupid it makes my head hurt. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You know Subban was a healthy scratch last week right? You know that in a poll of 10 writers by nhl.com, he wasn't picked in the top 8 defensemen by even a single guy? I like your passion but I disagree. Revisit at the end of the year(or every few days),it's up to you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Gretzky

Then Orr

lemieux

howe

richard

5 gretzkys?  Really.  Wouldnt beat 5 Orrs.  The problem with 5 Gretzkys is it likely would be too smart reading the play and 2 or 3 gretzkys would show up for the puck.  If Orr would have had a long career he might have better standing with me.  Being the best ever also means playing a long career in my eyes.  Greztky has more assists then anyone else has pts combined.   this really isnt close in my eyes.   

Yeah, right, Shupe.

Can't you just picture Gretzky trying to take the puck from Orr? What a laugh that would be. HAHAHAHAHA.

Wayne would have to call Semenko and McSorley. Can you image these three stooges chasing Bobby around. HHAHAHAHAHA.

Bobby would have to stop to keep from falling from laughing so hard. HAHAHAHAAH

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

For those of you who didn't get to see Bobby Orr play..............you missed the best 200 foot player the game has known.

This.  Period. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

I only saw Bobby Orr play his last 3 full seasons with the Bruins, while living in Massachusetts, albeit at a young age. When I moved to Edmonton the year after Gretzky scored his 92 goals, my first impression of Gretzky was that of dissapointment, as my only knowledge of his play was that of reading boxscores from newspapers I was reading at Ohio State University, where I thought, because he was scoring all those points, he must therefore be the best player ever.

However, after seeing Gretzky play more and realizing his great vision, I'm of the opinion that Orr was the best defenseman ever, and Gretzky was the best forward ever, with that being the end of the conversation.

Hey, Klass, how you doing?

I'll give you that  - Orr best D, Gretzky best F.

But, can you imagine Bobby & Wayne in a skating race. Bobby gliding effortlessly and  fast as flight, and Wayne far behind in his herky, jerky skating style labouring to keep up. HAHA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

You know Subban was a healthy scratch last week right? You know that in a poll of 10 writers by nhl.com, he wasn't picked in the top 8 defensemen by even a single guy? I like your passion but I disagree. Revisit at the end of the year(or every few days),it's up to you. 

Last week, the Habs played Buffalo, NYI and Buffalo.  Subban played in all three games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I thought Stanley putting Khudo in at #6 was hilarious.  I'm surprised he didn't throw Wheeler in there too to really pick your nose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

My personal list would be

Orr

Gretzky

Lemieux

Howe

Beliveau (toss up between him and Richard)

But possibly the best hockey mind the game has ever known, Scotty Bowman, doesn't even put Gretzky at number 2. In THN's Top 100 Canadian players that came out around Christmas Bowman's top 5 were

Orr

Howe

Richard

Lemieux

Gretzky

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Don't we generally have this conversation on our agenda for the annual general meeting or something?

I can't imagine anyone has said something here that's new.  Well, shupe's crush on Subban found new territory, but that's a joke on so many levels.

For me, it comes down to this: I've only seen 4 players who consistently had this one particular effect on me.  The players are Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux and Bossy.  In that order for frequency and degree.  The effect in question was an unshakeable conviction at various moments in games when you could just tell that they were going to do something no other player on the ice was capable of doing, that it would change the course of the game (not THE GAME, just that one game), and there was absolutely nothing anyone could do to stop it.  We're not talking a perfect 3 on 1 against Dana Murzyn or Craig Ramsay with some schlub in net, either.  It could be 1-3 against Larry Robinson and co. with Dryden in net or sadly, Ray Bourque with Moog in net.  If they were on your team, your skin was alive and the adrenaline surged, and you were just dialed in waiting for the moment to celebrate.  If they were against you, you were saying no nononono no no NO!

Orr did it all over the ice.  Gretzky on half of the ice.  Lemieux could do it from anywhere, but usually only did it from the Blueline in - though he could also be a pretty credible thief in the defensive zone and turn that into a goal in a blink.  But again, they all had that beat-the-deathstar one in a million play cued up for the right moment, and it was incredible to watch when it happened.

Unless I'm drinking, and you're buying, I don't really give a schlitz malt liquor about how you number them.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

But again, they all had that beat-the-deathstar one in a million play cued up for the right moment, and it was incredible to watch when it happened.

Awesome.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Last week, the Habs played Buffalo, NYI and Buffalo.  Subban played in all three games.

Thanks. That's interesting because I've seen numerous reports that he was benched following a bad penalty in OT which led to a loss to the Sabres. Exaggeration I guess but its crazy how many outlets ran the story.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

dez, that's why I don't have blind trust in media reports (not that you do...).  Some guy with Le Devoir writes that he was benched for the rest of that game, guy from the Gazette translates it poorly and assumed it means for the next game, Sportsnet picks it up as Therrien showing the firm hand of the new Shabby regime....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

dez, that's why I don't have blind trust in media reports (not that you do...).  Some guy with Le Devoir writes that he was benched for the rest of that game, guy from the Gazette translates it poorly and assumed it means for the next game, Sportsnet picks it up as Therrien showing the firm hand of the new Shabby regime....

The new Shabby regime, love it !! The firm hand is likely a push to help with new diving techniques.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ok, top 5

1. Bobby Orr, best player, best shooter, best passer, best ice vision, best skater, best period.

2. Wayne Gretzky, everything except shooting the puck on breakaways, he pretty much did everything else well. His defensive skills were not that great, but if you are getting 3 points a night, who cares. He turned the ice behind the net into an "office."

3. Mario Lemieux, ridiculously elegant for a guy his size. Spectacular, yet always under control in his ability to get himself into position to score or to make a great pass, or even to take a puck off a player's stick short-handed. I probably pick him to my pick-up game team before Gretzky.

4. Ken Dryden, probably the best goalie ever, considering how little padding for his era, and his athletic ability. He made some athletic-type saves few made before him, and a lot of guys still can't make today. Hard to beat on a breakaway, too.

T5. Guy LaFleur, fastest, most electric player, when he got the puck in his prime, you might as well get ready to buckle the seat. 9 times out of 10, he's creating a scoring opportunity or skating deep into the zone.

T5. Ray Bourque, best defensive defenseman ever, and at the same time one of the great offensive defensemen. Booming shot and superb passer, and often shut down some of the great forwards due to his physical strength. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

2. Wayne Gretzky, everything except shooting the puck on breakaways, he pretty much did everything else well. His defensive skills were not that great, but if you are getting 3 points a night, who cares. He turned the ice behind the net into an "office."

Were it not for that great weakness of Gretzky, I'm sure he would have hit the 100 goal mark a season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Don't we generally have this conversation on our agenda for the annual general meeting or something?

I can't imagine anyone has said something here that's new.  Well, shupe's crush on Subban found new territory, but that's a joke on so many levels.

For me, it comes down to this: I've only seen 4 players who consistently had this one particular effect on me.  The players are Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux and Bossy.  In that order for frequency and degree.  The effect in question was an unshakeable conviction at various moments in games when you could just tell that they were going to do something no other player on the ice was capable of doing, that it would change the course of the game (not THE GAME, just that one game), and there was absolutely nothing anyone could do to stop it.  We're not talking a perfect 3 on 1 against Dana Murzyn or Craig Ramsay with some schlub in net, either.  It could be 1-3 against Larry Robinson and co. with Dryden in net or sadly, Ray Bourque with Moog in net.  If they were on your team, your skin was alive and the adrenaline surged, and you were just dialed in waiting for the moment to celebrate.  If they were against you, you were saying no nononono no no NO!

Orr did it all over the ice.  Gretzky on half of the ice.  Lemieux could do it from anywhere, but usually only did it from the Blueline in - though he could also be a pretty credible thief in the defensive zone and turn that into a goal in a blink.  But again, they all had that beat-the-deathstar one in a million play cued up for the right moment, and it was incredible to watch when it happened.

Unless I'm drinking, and you're buying, I don't really give a schlitz malt liquor about how you number them.

Good stuff.  I'll go in a little different direction here by suggesting multiple players from the same generation don't cut it.  Picking Lemieux and Gretzky on the same list just doesn't add up for me.  We know it's impossible to sensibly compare players from different era's, however each players dominance within that time frame does make for a reasonable comparison.

Few argue Howe's dominance throughout the late 40's to the mid 60's.  No one was near him.  Closest was probably Rocket Richard, and that wasn't close at all.

Therefore, it's illogical to think the second best from the 80's-90's(Lemieux on most lists) would be ahead of the best from the Howe era.

Lets do what all of the hockey pools did in the 80's/90's.  Let's take Gretzky out.  Heck, while we're at it...lets take Orr out too.

Now...would seem to me, the only way to come up with a realistic list, would be to break the game down to 5 era's, since the NHL's inception, and choose the player that most dominated each era.  Then, rank those 5, based on their dominance compared to the other 4.

I just completed this excercise, and although preliminary findings gave the edge to Gretzky, the actual overall winner is... in fact......KHUDO. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Thanks. That's interesting because I've seen numerous reports that he was benched following a bad penalty in OT which led to a loss to the Sabres. Exaggeration I guess but its crazy how many outlets ran the story.

I had to research it.  A buddy of mine is a huge Habs fan, and if Subban was scratched, he would have hidden like the Arc of the Covenant.  I wanted to blow him up for it.

Sections
Shortcuts