Shero in a hole! Losing Martin and Letang Complicate Penguins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Shero in a hole! Losing Martin and Letang Complicate Penguins

"Dan Bylsma gets the difficult task of piecing together the defensemen. Does Deryk Engelland move back to the blue-line? He isn’t the long term answer on defense for the playoff run. Bortuzzo has shown signs of improvement, but he’s lacked consistency. Is Despres staying or is he going? This depends on the moves made by Shero.

Based on performance, contract situation, and value, no one on the Penguins’ roster is rumored in trade speculation besides Despres. As it currently stands, the team has three holes to fill: first line right-wing, third or fourth line forward and skilled puck-moving defensemen to fill in for Letang and Martin. Despres can’t be the only player on the trade block."

Niskanen and Olli Maatta will lead the defensive corps. Once again, this duo will play over 20 minutes a game, and they’ll see plenty of power play and penalty killing time. But this leaves a void."

The remaining cast of characters aren’t great puck-movers or skilled offensively:

Brooks Orpik
        Deryk Engelland
        Rob Scuderi
        Robert Bortuzzo

The Bruins are going to reel the Penguins in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Shero in a hole! Losing Martin and Letang Complicate Penguins

That finn Matta looks like a stud.  But they are weak on the back end.   the team i fear is detroit if they find some health.  I dont want them in the first round.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,

we know pitt is a team that will bring in guys.  I bet their lineup looks different at the end of next week.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Watching the USA-Canada game, I thought to myself that Orpik and Martin were the two worst players in the game...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Watching the USA-Canada game, I thought to myself that Orpik and Martin were the two worst players in the game...

Yeah, for sure. Neither should have even been on the USA roster. Orpik looked like a turnstile half the time and Martin just looked lost on every other shift. Clearly there were better D choices out there. Yandle, etc. Not that it would have made the difference for a gold medal but they would have been better.

Shero wanted his coach and as many penguins as possible on the roster. Other than Crosby and Malkin the rest of the penguins should have been back home. Including the coach. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Martin didnt play.  Hes had a nice year and that hurt team usa.  Orpik is always a guy who battles and plays well in the playoffs.  He should have never been on team usa ahead on yandle.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

we know pitt is a team that will bring in guys.  I bet their lineup looks different at the end of next week. 

Shero will have bring in players and the talking heads in the media, including boston media, will say he out manuvered Chiarelli.

The Bruins are going to reel Pittsburgh in, telling yah now. It's going to happen. Possibly having to bring in three blueliners to try n mesh right away. Pittsburgh has a great puck possession game but not enough with Martin and Letang out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Martin didnt play.  Hes had a nice year and that hurt team usa.  Orpik is always a guy who battles and plays well in the playoffs.  He should have never been on team usa ahead on yandle.  

Excuise me.  Blending games together...

I thought Orpik looked unable to keep up against the Canadians.  I thought Martin looked bad the whole tourney, pre-injury.  The worst of the D pairings, and Faulk looked like an upgrade to me. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

So the news here is Pittsburgh needs D at the deadline. They can line up behind every other team in the NHL looking for the same thing. Big names won't move...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Shero will have bring in players and the talking heads in the media, including boston media, will say he out manuvered Chiarelli.

The Bruins are going to reel Pittsburgh in, telling yah now. It's going to happen. Possibly having to bring in three blueliners to try n mesh right away. Pittsburgh has a great puck possession game but not enough with Martin and Letang out.

What is the time table on how long both are out?   I dont think they need 3.   I could see them adding one big guy.  One of the better options.   I remember when malkin and sid were out of the playoffs in bostons cup winning year.  They played amazing defense.  They still lost in 7 games but they can play tight defense.   

Orpik-Letang-Scuderi-Martin-Nisk-Matta isnt a terrible 6 def.  Assuming they are all healthy i dont see a real need to improve.  Scuderi is a playoff tested dman as are orpik letang.   I see them looking to add one dman and a scoring top 6 fwd.  

i predict they will get one of the big 3 fwds cammi, vanek, moulson.  And will add a dman depending on the health of letang martin.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Excuise me.  Blending games together...

I thought Orpik looked unable to keep up against the Canadians.  I thought Martin looked bad the whole tourney, pre-injury.  The worst of the D pairings, and Faulk looked like an upgrade to me. 

i didnt think martin looked that bad.  And hes been pitts best def with Nisk.   I agree on orpik.  Im talking nhl and pitt.  Orpik always plays hard nosed in the playoffs.   I dont see pitts defense as terrible unless both letang and martin are out long term.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What is the time table on how long both are out?  

Orpik-Letang-Scuderi-Martin-Nisk-Matta isnt a terrible 6 def.  Assuming they are all healthy i dont see a real need to improve.  Scuderi is a playoff tested dman as are orpik letang.   I see them looking to add one dman and a scoring top 6 fwd. 

How did they look against Boston last year ?

How good will they be nursing injuries ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Letang will be back for the playoffs, won't he?

Under different circumstances, you might dangle Bartkowski in front of Shero..."he's a Pittsburgh kid, Ray! think of the marketing!" just to see what might come back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

So the news here is Pittsburgh needs D at the deadline. They can line up behind every other team in the NHL looking for the same thing. Big names won't move...

Yes it will be a pretty big war for who gets who.

Think anyone would take Geoff Ward ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Letang will be back for the playoffs, won't he?

Under different circumstances, you might dangle Bartkowski in front of Shero..."he's a Pittsburgh kid, Ray! think of the marketing!" just to see what might come back.

Likely Orprick, wouldn't that be fine! Playoff tested,Olympic d-man, can't take a punch though!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Markov just rejected a one-year deal in Montreal becuase he wants a 3 year.

Montreal wouldn't trade someone like Markov to a powerhouse, like Pittsburgh, in the conference would they ?

Sections
Shortcuts