0-2-2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

0-2-2

What's up with Iginla?  Don't give me the "new linemates" BS.  He leads the team with 24 shots.

Zero goals?

Behind Shawn Thornton and tied with SweetH?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: 0-2-2

There were a lot of people here over the last couple of years beating a drum for the Bruins to acquire Iginla.  When it was pointed out to them last year that Fat Elvis had 1 goal in his first 16 games, they came back with "notorious slow starter".  After that stretch to open the year last year, he had 8 in the next 15 games before the deal, and 5 in 13 in Pitt.  Basically, 30-40 goal pace.  He did at least have 12 assists in those first 16 game, though, so he's not keeping up on that front.

6 in the first 24 two years ago. (finished with 32)

3 in the first 17 three years ago. (finished with 43)

Four years ago, no slow start. 

At the risk of sounding like one of those "advanced stats" guys, I think all that's up is that he's not hitting his spots with shots yet.  He has absolutely punished the end boards and glass so far; I'd bet his shots attempted/SoG is under 50%.  He'll start to find that groove.  And frankly, I don't mind the idea that the Bruins will go 5-2, 9-3 or whatever with Iginla not scoring.  It means when he finds that groove, he can probably carry them through some dog days.

The assist numbers will go up as he gets better chemistry with Fat and Krejci.  How many times a game does Lucic carry the puck through the neutral zone and then dish to Iginla just inside the blueline?  Once he gets a better handle on what his options are when that puck comes to him, with Lucic continuing to the net and Krejci and one or more D as a trailer, that whole line will produce at a better clip.

Oh, sorry - that's current team scoring leader Fat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Iggyapologist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

At least Iginla is shooting. What about Eriksson? He's a big hole in the top six, and not meshing with Bergeron [yikes].

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Iggyapologist.

Chicken Little.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

At least Iginla is shooting.

That's my biggest gripe. Jarome sets up out high above the faceoff circle for wrist shots and he is a freakin turnover machine in the offensive zone.

The hype is all Shups fault!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

in all honesty it was always the same with horton, slow starter, i beleive hes gonna come around, i still think he should switch with errickson, that line needs a tougher winger and iginla is the man. To add to that, errickson would be feeding off of krecji and lucic, i can just imagine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I hope he gets going. Biut for now, he has less goals than Mike Smith.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Wouldn't it be funny if JI clicks with Bergys line better.  As a matter of fact I bet he gets his first goal off a Bergy feed.  Anyone taking that bet?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Buffalo wouldn't be a bad team to do a little experiment on and the B's have a few days to prepare.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Continue to wonder why Claude doesn't make the switch. Eriksson does have the speed to play with Kreji, and Iginla could be as much help as our favorite from two years ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2013/10/22/4866094/jarome-iginla-bruins-2013-slow-starter-except-not

In honour of Elvis breaking the egg, this makes a ton of sense.  And is, along with the great Fat-Elvis chemistry we're seeing, why Julien will not be making any changes.  Also, not having Eriksson available makes the swapping of RWs a cow's opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Notorious for slow starts.  Then goes on a tear.  Will lead the team in goals at seasons end.  Im sticking to it.  I think he went similar last year then took off.  He has done this every year.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Look it up, shupe.  The "slow starts" thing goes back no more than three years.  Here's the fact, ma'am, since 2000.  There's only one year there where I'd say he had a slow start, and if you don't like the larger number of games I've chosen, you should look at it yourself: most of these years, except when he has well in advance of a point/game, he puts up these numbers one or two points at a time with very few goose egg games.  Slow starter is a myth.  Slow starters don't rack 19 in the first 21 games.

2000-01 - 12 points in the first 12 games, 5 goals.

2001-02 - 36 points in his first 21 games, only 4 games without points in that span, 19 goals.

2002-03 - 12 poins in the first 13 games, 3 goals.

2003-04 - 0 points in the first 4 games, 12 in the next 13, 4 goals.

2005-06 - 12 points in the first 15 games, 7 goals.

2006-07 - 24 points in the first 21 games, 11 goals.

2007-08 - 26 points in the first 18 games, 11 goals.

2008-09 - 18 points in the first 14 games, 8 goals.

2009-10 - 23 in the first 22 games, 16 goals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Look it up, shupe.  The "slow starts" thing goes back no more than three years.  Here's the fact, ma'am, since 2000.  There's only one year there where I'd say he had a slow start, and if you don't like the larger number of games I've chosen, you should look at it yourself: most of these years, except when he has well in advance of a point/game, he puts up these numbers one or two points at a time with very few goose egg games.  Slow starter is a myth.  Slow starters don't rack 19 in the first 21 games.

2000-01 - 12 points in the first 12 games, 5 goals.

2001-02 - 36 points in his first 21 games, only 4 games without points in that span, 19 goals.

2002-03 - 12 poins in the first 13 games, 3 goals.

2003-04 - 0 points in the first 4 games, 12 in the next 13, 4 goals.

2005-06 - 12 points in the first 15 games, 7 goals.

2006-07 - 24 points in the first 21 games, 11 goals.

2007-08 - 26 points in the first 18 games, 11 goals.

2008-09 - 18 points in the first 14 games, 8 goals.

2009-10 - 23 in the first 22 games, 16 goals.

So it's obviously not a long-term thing, but it certainly seems like it's been an issue the last 3 years. I'll buy into the recent trends over the long term trends.

Iginla will be absolutely fine as the year goes on. I'm not sure that he'll lead the team in scoring (My money is on Lucic leading in goals, with Krejci in points....bold, right?), but I'm certain that he'll put up nothing worse than Horton numbers (25/30/55, generally).

With the slow starts of Iginla and Eriksson, I'm looking at the positives: Krug, Hamilton, Smith. Young bucks taking care of business.

Sections
Shortcuts