07/12/2013; Bergeron vs Krejci

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

07/12/2013; Bergeron vs Krejci

Pending UFA Patrice Bergeron signs 8-year extension.

http://nesn.com/2013/07/bruins-sign-patrice-bergeron-to-eight-year-contract-extension/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2013/07/bruins-sign-patrice-bergeron-to-eight-year-contract-extension/

Right around that same timeline, where is Krejci's extension?  Think PC has commented on "working" on it, may be off on that, but any chance he is on his way out?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: 07/12/2013; Bergeron vs Krejci

Could be , he didnt play like a number 1 center in the playoffs this year, and with what the Bs have in the system in centers, the return for DK could be well worth trading him now. I personally would like to see a banner year from him, but he needs Lucic to step it up and have another good scoring right winger to do it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

What were the other signings going on at the time.  Kinda need context to make an accurate comparison.

*edit*  I just looked.  There were 3.  Rask, Bergy and Iginla. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This is idiotic comparison. First of all, Bergeron is the best two-way forward in the league, a Selke every year. Second, Bergeron is the best faceoff guy in the league. Third, Bergeron is the team's heart and soul. Four, you sign Patrice long-term because you want THE FACE OF YOUR FRANCHISE TO BE AROUND FOR A LONG TIME. 

I love Krecji and he offers a lot, but please in a million years don't compare the two in the same light for a contract. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is idiotic comparison. First of all, Bergeron is the best two-way forward in the league, a Selke every year. Second, Bergeron is the best faceoff guy in the league. Third, Bergeron is the team's heart and soul. Four, you sign Patrice long-term because you want THE FACE OF YOUR FRANCHISE TO BE AROUND FOR A LONG TIME. 

I love Krecji and he offers a lot, but please in a million years don't compare the two in the same light for a contract. 

[/QUOTE]

Boy are you gonna be mad, then, when he signs for more than Bergy.  Cater, he's a playoff leading scorer twice.   What did Gaborik get.. 5 million for 7 years?  And Krejci did it twice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Last I read, PC stated that the two sides were working on an extension. I think a lot has to do with what the cap looks like going forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, but the landscape will be different when Krejci is up than when Bergeron signed his extionsion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

One players jersey will be hanging in the Boston Garden rafters,the other's won't,i'll let everyone decide which.That doesn't mean Krejci won't make big money though.

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, you have a two way center.  Okay, that's good.

Best faceoff guy?  Well, Malhotra and Sobotka were ahead of him.  Do they deserve more money?

Heart and Soul guy:  How much more does that earn on a deal and how is it quantified?  Can Greg Campbell cash in on this?

Face of the franchise:  That's not really a reason to heap on the millions.

So, you have a two way center that you feel is light years better than the team's #1 center.

Who's idiotic?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Best faceoff guy?  Well, Malhotra and Sobotka were ahead of him.  Do they deserve more money?

[/QUOTE]

When the two you mention win a Selke, score 30 goals in a season, and were a key member of a cup winning team then perhaps they can be used as a comparison.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When the two you mention win a Selke, score 30 goals in a season, and were a key member of a cup winning team then perhaps they can be used as a comparison.

[/QUOTE]

Now......now....

The point of bringing up Sobotka and Malholtra as having better faceoff percentages with regards to any kind of Bruins contract negotiations ?

Very important !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Heart and Soul guy:  How much more does that earn on a deal and how is it quantified?  Can Greg Campbell cash in on this?

Face of the franchise:  That's not really a reason to heap on the millions.

So, you have a two way center that you feel is light years better than the team's #1 center.

Who's idiotic?

[/QUOTE]

Sadly, from the business side of things, the whole face of the franchise thing does matter. It shouldn't, but owners do get involved. I would look at Patrick Kane as an example. He's not a 10.5 player, he's an 8 million player but it was worth it financially to make sure he didn't test free agency because of the revenue he generates 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now......now....

The point of bringing up Sobotka and Malholtra as having better faceoff percentages with regards to any kind of Bruins contract negotiations ?

Very important !

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but negotiations include the totality of what the player brings to the team. Not just one particular tool.  Bergeron does it all at a high level, hence the contract. Malholtra and Vlad are simply lower bottom six players with a specialization or two.

Krecji will ultimately be judged on his entire skill set and paid accordingly...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Yes, but negotiations include the totality of what the player brings to the team. Not just one particular tool.  Bergeron does it all at a high level, hence the contract. Malholtra and Vlad are simply lower bottom six players with a specialization or two.

Krecji will ultimately be judged on his entire skill set and paid accordingly...

[/QUOTE]

I agree and apologize both at the same time.

My sarcasm fell on deaf ears.

Sobotka and Malholtra have basically no connection to any kind of contract talks the Bruins make with #37 or #46.

They are fringe players.........unlike the two Bruins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think there's anything to the timing of the deal other than it takes two to tango and getting on the same page isn't always easy.  Could well be that Krejci's agent wanted to wait and see who else from next year's UFA class signed before they got into serious negotiations.  Right now, he's the third highest paid centre up for UFA next year behind two Stars - Horcoff and Spezza.  He would be offensive target 1 or 1A depending on whether a team wanted Bobby Ryan's goals or Krejci's assists.  But he would be the only target for teams hoping to get a #1C in free agency.

I'm also fairly certain this will be a complicated conversation with Krejci's agents pointing to Toews and Kane, and Chiarelli pointing to the Cap and the other players he needs to fit for the team to be successful around DK.  Once they do that dance, if they're far enough apart that Chiarelli has any doubt that he can sign DK before July 1st, he needs to make some calls.  Not straight up "Krejci's on the block" calls, but just gauging interest: "Tallon, I'm looking at my options for this year and next, and I'm thinking about going another direction on my first line - would you be interested in DK?  Maybe for Ekblad or Huberdeau and your first rounder this year?"  He could even give other GMs some insight into what it might take to sign DK long term if that was a condition of the deal.

So yeah, there's a chance DK could move - I've been saying that for a month.  But I don't know that it's DK forcing his way out of town so much as Chiarelli looking at the market and what DK wants, and making a strategic decision.  The one thing that has changed since first looked at the option is that it's too late for a DK deal to do much more for the Bruins this year than bring back whatever the return is.  It won't be a #1C and it likely won't be a proven #1 RW.  Not if it fits under the cap this year.  The option to trade for high end futures (like the total pipe dream above - even Tallon isn't that stupid...right?) or to split the value between now and the future and then double down by spending the additional cap space on a veteran pickup has passed if you're thinking of taking a run at it this year.  Without Krejci, and except for a miracle in what they get back, they'll be down 2/3 of last year's first line. Effectively Bergeron's line is the #1 now, Lucic-Soderberg-Eriksson are number two, and then you mix and match the rookies with Kelly, Campbell and Paille.  That's not a horror show, but it's a pretty significant change - the kind we haven't seen since either the JT Superstar deal or Savard's injury.

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The comparison is about entering the final year of their deals and will be UFA at the end of the year.  Making the point that Bergeron signed his extension about this time 1 year ago, while Krejci has not.

Most consider the B's centers as 1 & 1a, so not like the thread compares Bergeron to Campbell or Soderberg (also will be UFA at the end of the year).

Sounds like you really like Bergeron.  Me too, see my avatar? It's not John Tudor.

Try to keep up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...which was NAS's point.  danny called it idiotic to compare the two negotiations in terms of timing, which might reflect the urgency or importance the Bruins feel re: getting Krejci signed, and therefore might give some indication of where they're leaning with DK an impending UFA.  danny listed Bergeron's accomplishments as though, based on these factors, it's ridiculous for anyone to compare the importance of Bergeron and Krejci.  NAS criticized the emphasis being laid on faceoff percentage by bringing up two guys who had a better percentage (if you wanted a sarcastic comeback here, the answer was "yes, they should get paid more, or they'll take their talents the KHL version of South Beach).  At no point did he say they were better than Bergeron.

I know NAS rubs some people the wrong way, and hey, it's a board, so rip away when you disagree, but in this case NAS was reacting to one poster calling another an idiot for shaky reasons.  Seems to me the guy makes a lot of more controversial statements on here you could be jumping on.

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fair point. I mis-interpreted. My mistake.....no coffee makes JM sad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Krejci would bring a hall back if PC were to decide the price was too high. I would feel very secure with Soderberg as the Bruins #2 center. Losing Krejci wouldn't hurt the powerplay but I would have some reservations about Bergeron being the #1 center. There would be an adjustment time.

PC has a tough call to make and that is the way it goes with the cap.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Krejci would bring a hall back if PC were to decide the price was too high. I would feel very secure with Soderberg as the Bruins #2 center. Losing Krejci wouldn't hurt the powerplay but I would have some reservations about Bergeron being the #1 center. There would be an adjustment time.

[/QUOTE]

What do you think Yeti might be worth $$ wise?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE]Krejci would bring a hall back if PC were to decide the price was too high. I would feel very secure with Soderberg as the Bruins #2 center. Losing Krejci wouldn't hurt the powerplay but I would have some reservations about Bergeron being the #1 center. There would be an adjustment time.

PC has a tough call to make and that is the way it goes with the cap.[/QUOTE]

What do you think Yeti might be worth $$ wise?  [/QUOTE]

Good question and I don't think PC will be able to keep Soderberg if he decides to pay the price on Krejci. I think Chiarelli will have some leverage if Carl's numbers don't jump up this season but I expect them too. Guessing but i'd say $3.5M-$4M range.

PC really needs the cap to jump up for 2015-2016.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What do you think Yeti might be worth $$ wise?

[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing his next deal is something in the $3M-$4M range.  He'll look good on the third line again, but it will be total speculation as to whether or not he can be more than a really good third line C.  If he does move to the top six in some fashion, I reserve the right to change that projection.

I still say Krejci doesn't bring back the haul everyone seems to envision.  I doubt it would be as much as they ended up getting for Seguin.  What did the Stars give up for Spezza?  Chiasson is an interesting prospect, but not much more.  He's also 23, so that big breakthrough year as he matures physically isn't going to happen.  They got two other prospects who were a 3rd and 4th round pick, and they got a 2nd rounder.  Krejci might bring in more than this - I don't think I'd deal him for this, to be honest - because he's not a high profile whining to get out guy.  But if you look at the big names who move a year before they become UFA, it's always pretty much the same deal: 2nd or 3rd line young NHL player, variable prospect (rarely an A+ prospect or even an A), and a first round pick.  Sometimes it's more prospects instead of the pick, and sometimes an A+ prospect replaces both the roster player and the prospects.  But that's the going rate, and I doubt the Bruins get more than that for Krejci.

Everybody knew Seguin was a potential top 10 regular season scorer in the right situation, and for him the Bruins got a first/second line winger and three prospects in part because he was signed long term to a good deal for that kind of production. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Looking at next year, the Bruins have $22M to spend and Krejci, Soderberg, Campbell, Paille, Boychuk, McQuaid are all UFA; Hamilton is RFA.  The $22M will go down with Krug, Smith, and Florek (or whomever) added.  Call it $16M or so.

If they get Campbell and Paille back for a combined $3M (or less), Hamilton on a $3M bridge deal, McQuaid at $1.75M (assuming he's healthy), and Soderberg at $4M, that would leave $5.25M for Krejci and Boychuk.  If we assume Kelly's gone and add Savard's LTIR, that gives us back about $6M (with Kelly being replaced by a $1M salary).  I think they can get Boychuk at $4.5M, which leaves $6.75M for Krejci if all else works out.

We haven't talked about this one at all...but I think this is Campbell's last year.  Might also be McQuaid's, and I'm guessing he gets to walk.  But all of this depends on what happens with Krug, Smith, Kelly, Boychuk and whatever other moves PC has up his sleeve.

Are you not entertained?!?!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I doubt it would be as much as they ended up getting for Seguin. What did the Stars give up for Spezza?"

Spezza $7M cap hit, age, injuries and his play declining, compared to where it used to be, is why Dallas didn't get a haul (not hall, Monte Hall). Seguin does have a cap friendly hit plus his play was ready to explode and it did.

PC can point to proof that Krejci is a playoff performer, no major injuries (see Spezza's X-Ray records) play is not on the decline and he is still young. You don't get that four punch combo with Seguin and Spezza.

If Chiarelli pulls the trigger, he will rake it in again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they get Campbell and Paille back for a combined $3M (or less), Hamilton on a $3M bridge deal,  

[/QUOTE]

Getting back Campbell and Paille for $3mill would require both of them to take contracts for similar $$ they are receiving right now and I don't see that as likely. So, as you mention, one of them (or maybe both) will bolt to gr$$ner pastures. Not the worst thing in the world, they are 4th liners after all.

Your guestimate for Hamilton is interesting. Perhaps that is what Krug is aiming for as well and that may put PC in a temporary bind for this season.