10/01/13 Maple Leafs at Montreal Canadiens: We got Hockey tonight people!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

10/01/13 Maple Leafs at Montreal Canadiens: We got Hockey tonight people!

"The first puck of the season drops at Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS) as part of the Molson Canadian Face-Off. The party will include live music and all sorts of entertainment for fans in Montreal. For those watching from home, there will be just as much intrigue as the Canadiens try to build on last season's success, while the Maple Leafs try to persevere without their big offseason acquisition, David Clarkson."

"And what better way to kick off the season then with the historic rivalry between the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs in the first of five meetings between the two clubs this season.

Veteran enforcer George Parros will get a taste of the rivalry right off the bat, as he's been declared fit to play in the opener. Parros underwent off-season rotator cuff surgery, and although there was initially some speculation that he might not be available, he has been cleared to play.

The news wasn't so good for Canadiens defenceman Douglas Murray. The former San Jose Shark suffered an upper-body injury in practice last week and will be out four-to-six weeks. His spot will be taken by blueline prospect Jarred Tinordi. The Canadiens will also be missing defencemen Alexei Emelin (knee) and Davis Drewiske (shoulder).

The Leafs, meanwhile, will be without one of their key newcomers, David Clarkson, who is serving a 10-game suspension for leaving the bench during a pre-season brawl. Also missing in action will be tough guy Frazer McLaren (hand), who is expected to start the season on long-term injured reserve.

James Reimer will get the start in goal for the Maple Leafs. "

NHL on NBCSN: Hawks begin dynasty quest against hungry Capitals

"NBCSN’s coverage of the 2013-14 campaign will kick off tonight when the Chicago Blackhawks host the Washington Capitals at the United Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online."

Probable goaltenders: WSH – Holtby | CHI – Corey Crawford

Off and running with two pretty good games!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: 10/01/13 Maple Leafs at Montreal Canadiens: We got Hockey tonight people!

And a great game to kick it off!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Edmonton vs. Winnipeg tonight too :)

Season series: The Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers didn't meet during the 2012-13 season because the Jets were still part of the Eastern Conference and there was no cross-conference play in the abbreviated 48-game campaign. Their last matchup dates all the way back to Feb. 27, 2012, when a four-goal third period rallied the Oilers to a 5-3 win at MTS Centre. Taylor Hall had the game-winner.

Big story: The Jets were reborn in Winnipeg two seasons ago, and now they're officially back where they belong in the Western Conference, part of the new Central Division. The Oilers, meanwhile, have shifted over to the Pacific and hope the time is now for an impressive collection of young talent to take the next step toward a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs under first-year coach Dallas Eakins.

Team Scope:

Jets: Like its opponent to open the season, Winnipeg is looking to end a postseason drought. The Jets have missed the playoffs each of their first two seasons since relocating from Atlanta, and the franchise as a whole has made it there just once in 13 seasons.

The preseason returns weren't very promising, as the team won once in eight games. However, a couple important pieces in the team's future acquitted themselves well. Rookies Mark Scheifele, a forward who has 11 games of NHL experience over the past two seasons, and Jacob Trouba, a defenseman and the No. 9 pick in the 2012 NHL Draft, are expected to play key roles going forward.

"I have to say that I have liked both," coach Claude Noel told the Winnipeg Free Press. "They bring some good things to our group and they certainly look like they can play here."

Oilers: Although b@nged up in some areas, Edmonton made it through the preseason winning five of seven games before getting blanked 4-0 by the Dallas Stars in Friday's finale.

Among the key offseason acquisitions for the Oilers were forward David Perron, who came over from the St. Louis Blues in a trade for Magnus Paajarvi, and defenseman Andrew Ference, signed as a free agent. Ference, a 13-year veteran who won the Stanley Cup in 2011 with the Boston Bruins, was named the team's new captain on Saturday.

"Andrew is everything you look for in a captain," Eakins said. "You start rattling off words like, compete, honest, commitment, a guy that can communicate. Everything you talk about a leader, that's what this young man is. The biggest thing for me, is his ability to unite this organization. He's the most important person in this organization."

Injury report: Winnipeg defenseman Dustin Byfuglien left Friday's final preseason game against the Boston Bruins with an apparent leg injury, but is probable. Defenseman Zach Bogosian (undisclosed) is practicing and expected to be in the lineup. … Edmonton forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (shoulder) is still recovering from offseason surgery and likely out until November. Forwards Sam Gagner (jaw) and Steve McIntyre (knee) and defenseman Corey Potter (back) are on injured reserve. Perron (illness) and defenseman Denis Grebeshkov (groin) are day-to-day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Edmonton vs. Winnipeg tonight too :)

That is true Red. I expect the Oilers to make some noise this season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The league really should schedule the SC finalists to open up the season every year.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

The league really should schedule the SC finalists to open up the season every year.  

Or have more then 3 games on opening night. And not on a Tuesday. Should kick things off on Saturday night. The best night for hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

We sure do people !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And, of course, the pre-game will be a bazillion hours long....damn Montreal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

" Dustin Byfuglien left Friday's final preseason game against the Boston Bruins with an apparent leg injury"

Buff needs to be careful when trying to kick a Big Mac into his mouth. It can be difficult LoL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ugh, I hate it when Hughson uses the players nicknames (ex. JVR). I mean, really. Are you going for drinks with him after the game there Jim? Maybe want to give him a back rub tonight?

Drives me nuts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Parros Vs Orr...will we see a bout to get the season going ?

Edit: well if the clowns are dressed mine as well

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Ugh, I hate it when Hughson uses the players nicknames (ex. JVR). I mean, really. Are you going for drinks with him after the game there Jim? Mayeb want to give him a back rub tonight?

Drives me nuts.

That's his version of objective reporting, jm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I like the pace so far. Price with a nice kick save , the leafs on the power play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

lol.....I guess it is as good as it is going to get. At least he is not Bruin bashing........yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Cool Prust is on the pk. Wish he were a Bruin.

Damn....GOAL JVR (and Hughson pops a stiff one)!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

JVR scores...that's right cause if I want to use a knickname I can Tongue Out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

lol.....I guess it is as good as it is going to get. At least he is not Bruin bashing........yet.

True.  Leafs just went up 1-0 on the PP - and are still on it for another 3 minutes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

5 on 3 for the leafs big part of the game. Not a mind reader but the Habs will get their share of the PP. JVR puts it in he fanned on it but it went in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

BTW, anyone else notice the refs having to separate Mr. Kessel and P. K. Subban earlier in the period?  Subban rode him off against the boards post-whistle.  A more feisty Phil this season?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

JVR scores...that's right cause if I want to use a knickname I can Tongue Out

Cry Words hurt Sandog.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

When the goal was announced he did say James Van Riemsdyk. So that should make you feel better.

I like the pace of this game!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

BTW, anyone else notice the refs having to separate Mr. Kessel and P. K. Subban earlier in the period?  Subban rode him off against the boards post-whistle.  A more feisty Phil this season

He got brave. That is  what happens when you stand up to Scott.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

When the goal was announced he did day James Van Riemsdyk. So that should make you feel better.

I like the pace of this game!

True San.  Price coming up big so far.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

[QUOTE]

BTW, anyone else notice the refs having to separate Mr. Kessel and P. K. Subban earlier in the period?  Subban rode him off against the boards post-whistle.  A more feisty Phil this season

He got brave. That is  what happens when you stand up to Scott.

s-man, are you saying he's now got a set of figs to go along with his goal-scoring?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Oh no. "Patches" injured!! And without Chara in sight!!