12 years, $5.2Billion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Re: 12 years, $5.2Billion

The NHL made a big mistake. 

Unlike the NFL, who involve all four American Networks, and sell the Tv and Internet packages themselves, hockey has decided to put all their eggs in one basket.

They have given up control. That is not good. That is never good even when you give up control to family.

Let's see where this leads.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

Unlike the NFL, who involve all four American Networks, and sell the Tv and Internet packages themselves, hockey has decided to put all their eggs in one basket.

They have given up control. That is not good. That is never good even when you give up control to family.

That's not really the case, Wheats.  This deal has nothing to do with the NHL on NBC, or of the regional broadcasts of 24 teams. 

From an article:

All the games will be carried live, from coast to coast, with no regional blackouts – utilizing the media giant’s stable of broadcasting assets, which includes up to nine cable TV channels, plus digital and radio on any given night.

Those games that begin around the same time will go head-to-head for national viewership. That means, for example, on a Saturday when a Toronto Maple Leafs home game would often be the only option for viewers in Southern Ontario, a Habs fan would be able to switch channels and watch the Montreal Canadiens play.

“If there are four or five games on, on Saturday night at the same time, no matter where you are in Canada you can flip between games. You can stay on the game that you’re most interested in,” Bettman said. “If one game gets out of hand and another game is going into overtime, you can watch that.

“That’s why we’ve been saying this is so pro fan, because we’re going to give the fan more options than they’ve ever had to consume NHL hockey.”

--

So, it's like all of Canada just got Canadian NHL Center Ice for free.  Seems pretty positive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I agree, Shup, Ron Mclean is awesome! But again, as far as hockey knowledge and entertainment value, JR/Milbury put HNICs current hot stove cast in their pipe n smokes them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

That's not really the case, Wheats.  This deal has nothing to do with the NHL on NBC, or of the regional broadcasts of 24 teams. 

From an article:

All the games will be carried live, from coast to coast, with no regional blackouts – utilizing the media giant’s stable of broadcasting assets, which includes up to nine cable TV channels, plus digital and radio on any given night.

Those games that begin around the same time will go head-to-head for national viewership. That means, for example, on a Saturday when a Toronto Maple Leafs home game would often be the only option for viewers in Southern Ontario, a Habs fan would be able to switch channels and watch the Montreal Canadiens play.

“If there are four or five games on, on Saturday night at the same time, no matter where you are in Canada you can flip between games. You can stay on the game that you’re most interested in,” Bettman said. “If one game gets out of hand and another game is going into overtime, you can watch that.

“That’s why we’ve been saying this is so pro fan, because we’re going to give the fan more options than they’ve ever had to consume NHL hockey.”

--

So, it's like all of Canada just got Canadian NHL Center Ice for free.  Seems pretty positive.

Far from it NAS.

I'm a Bruin fan. I subscribe to CameCentre Live through the NHL. I want to watch Bruin games and the odd other game. At present, I pay a reasonable amount. Next year, Rogers controls GameCentre Live in Canada. Guess what's going to happen?

And here is what will happen: Many years ago (80's) the building in which I live controlled its own cable connection that they distributed to all the tenants. We were paying $75 per year for Cable.

In the late 80's, Rogers bribed our building owner and others all over Toronto to let them control the cable to the building and to the tenants. They didn't have to do a thing, everything would be taken care of by Rogers and they would receive a percentage of all fees. Included in the deal, Rogers had to take down the antenna on the roof - so no more OTA was available. The antenna connections in the building no longer worked. It was now cable with Rogers or get your own rabbit ears.

Well, the following year - 25% increase. Then 15%. Then 10%. Five years after they had taken over my cable bill was nearly $200 per year. Over 100% more. Today, I am paying $540 per year for basic cable.

Yes, NAS, I know Rogers. I know them very well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Tough to go wrong with basic cable for $45/mtn.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

5.2 billion / 144 (12years of 12months) = 36111111.11111111

36111111.11111111 / 3.8million (Homes) = $9.50 per month per home

Rogers cable covers 3.8 million homes in Ontario, NewBrunswick and Newfoundland

35million Canadians is $1.03 per month per Canadian

Lets come back in 12 years and see the actual costs

GOAT!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

There was on CBC radio this morning, and not just in the sports - they got slapped with 200 million in cuts over the last year and now they just lost 50 per cent of their ad revenue, so yeah there are going to be layoffs and likely massive changes across the entire network.

And kel, in name HNIC will be around for four more years, but it will be a Rogers production aired on CBC, not a CBC production so expect some changes. And after 4 years? Who knows.

Thanks for the update, red.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

This will certainly drive up the nhl package as rogers will sell off to other major carriers tp provide hockey to non roger subscribers. I have bell and i am certain the the price will double next year or more. One thing this will certainly do is revive the FTA market. This is rediculous that the crtc would even approve of this, I havent seen anythinf from them for a statement yet.

I'm ready if I have to, but don't tell Shupe. Also, the crtc is worse than the stinkin gov't, which is why the FTA market sticks around. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts