17:2 Odds Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsInSeven. Show BruinsInSeven's posts

17:2 Odds Really?

The B's have 17-2 odds to win the Stanley Cup, trailing just the Pittsburgh Penguins (7-2), Vancouver Canucks (5-1) and New York Rangers (6-1).

I would have thought the Bs would have been 6 or 7 to 1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: 17:2 Odds Really?

Never doubt Vegas. It's how they make their money, son.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I would only lessen it slightly to 13 or 14.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I have no idea how odds are made so I have no idea if it's right or wrong. I'll say the odds should be 15423.75 - 8773.45 + x, where x = luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The Vegas odds are just following conventional wisdom. The B's played horribly to start the year, played two months of unbeatable hockey and were until a week ago a .500 there after. I get the three teams that have higher odds.

But of all the major championships in North America, none is harder to predict or win IMHO than the Stanley Cup. The B's by example were just 1 OT goal from being one and done in the first round last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: 17:2 Odds Really?:
    The Vegas odds are just following conventional wisdom. 
    Posted by fivekatz

False. The vegas odds are based on the extremely smart mathematicians trying to ancticipate public perception of the teams, who will actually win the games, and by how much. They are trying to make the max amount of money for the house--and regularly do.

going by conventional wisdom is not what Vegas does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Obviously Vegas didn't see them play in November and December.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

I don't Pitt at all at 7-2. They have a tough path to the SCF and have been giving up a lot of goals lately. I would only be slightly surprised if they went out in the first round. Plus the risk of more concussions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: 17:2 Odds Really? : False. The vegas odds are based on the extremely smart mathematicians trying to ancticipate public perception of the teams, who will actually win the games, and by how much. They are trying to make the max amount of money for the house--and regularly do. going by conventional wisdom is not  what Vegas does.
    Posted by Olsonic

Spot on Ols. Nobody should look at the vegas odds as a true representation of what the real-world chances are of a team winning anything. It's all about where the money is going, or sometimes where they want it to go. These people are very, very good at what they do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I got the B's at 18-1 in early November in Vegas. I see things haven't changed much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

17-2 is 8.5-1 which is pretty close to the 7-1 or 6-1 you were thinking. I'd say its about right.

The pens at 7-2 is just not reasonable in my opinion. They have to play the Fliers and may not get home ice advantage. They could be in a mess of trouble.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raa5150. Show raa5150's posts

Hey hopefully the team takes it as a slight then the teams in the East will take the brunt of it. Boooooyaah

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'd like to see the Rangers make it past 5 playoff games before they get those odds. Silly. Buffalo will bounce them in round one if they get in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Obviously Vegas didn't see them play in November and December.
    Posted by bim09

Obviously Vegas didnt see them a month ago, or the odds would be 25-1.

I think the odds are pretty accurate, and you could argue the Red Wings and maybe another team or 2 should be in front of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In Response to Re: 17:2 Odds Really? : Obviously Vegas didnt see them a month ago, or the odds would be 25-1. I think the odds are pretty accurate, and you could argue the Red Wings and maybe another team or 2 should be in front of them.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Shocked that the Blues aren't up there with the Rangers and Penguins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Odds in part are all about what it takes to attract money bet on the team that odds are being applied to. So by example because of the way the Penguins layed in recent weeks and their higher star power the return on a dollar bet does not have to be as good for the bettor as it would attract a dollar bet on the Blues by example.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to Re: 17:2 Odds Really? : Obviously Vegas didnt see them a month ago, or the odds would be 25-1. I think the odds are pretty accurate, and you could argue the Red Wings and maybe another team or 2 should be in front of them.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

You mean when they were still leading the league in goal differential?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Does anyone know what the odds were last year?
    Curious to see how Vegas viewed Boston's ability to win then. Compare them to this year and see how winning the Cup the previous year has any effect on a consecutive run

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I have no idea how odds are made so I have no idea if it's right or wrong. I'll say the odds should be 15423.75 - 8773.45 + x, where x = luck.
    Posted by OatesCam

I think you forgot to carry the 1....:)

Sections
Shortcuts