18-17-0

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

18-17-0

Record All Season Long...before AND after the November streak

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: 18-17-0

So your saying this is the Bruins record if you take away a bunch of their wins?  Not quite sure what the point is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

that the entire season..October, December 6th through now including all of 2012..they're a 10 seed.
    They were a Stanley Cup Team November 1 through Decvember 5 last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Nobody wins the Cup in November, and nobody wins it in February, either. The Bruins remain one of the top contenders for the Cup, and will likely make additions to the team at the deadline like they did last year. I wouldn't freak out just because a team has had hot and cold streaks throughout the season: every single Cup winner has had the same thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

If you take 10 wins away from any team they are in 10th place or worse.  Again, I'm not sure what your point is.

In Response to Re: 18-17-0:
    that the entire season..October, December 6th through now including all of 2012..they're a 10 seed. They were a Stanley Cup Team November 1 through Decvember 5 last year.
    Posted by dogwhacker

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Put it this way..

If you played the Bruins ANY time all season ( except for a 17 game stretch a long time ago last year)--you've  played a VERY AVERAGE hockey team at best.

The facts tell you that: 18-17-0.  Thats an 11 seed,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Oates I agree that if you arbitrary exclude certain games at certain times of the year it means nothing.

But when you look at what a team has done ALL season  and realize that ALL season long excluding one defined time period early on..you have a .500 hockey team you have defined mediocrity.

ALL of October and the ENTIRE TIME from December 6,2011 until now February 9,2012..THATs not nitpicking..thats a season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Take away the Philly series - they were 12-9 in the playoffs. Not earth shattering.

Final analysis - they know how to win and when. Which is better than 29 other teams in the NHL.

Don't get your shorts in a knot so soon. The dance doesn't start until April. They will make the dance and control the dance floor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

What I'm saying is it means nothing.  If you take away Boston's good November they are in 10th.  If you take away New York Rangers good November (and 9 wins) they are also out.  If you ignore the great record Philly had in December (again, 9 wins) they are worse than Winnipeg. You can go down the list with every team.  Ottawa is battling for the playoffs because they had a great January.  Every team that's any good has a bunch of games together where they played well, and if you take that bunch of games away their record looks average.  But the Bruins are not an average team, and never are, even when they lose.  They have yet to lose more than 3 in a row, they outscore their opponents by a wide margain and seldom put up a lemon like they did against Buffalo last night.  Selectively removing the best performances from a team will have the same effect on the record of all teams, and tells you nothing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KCMDux88. Show KCMDux88's posts

This is the dumbest argument I have ever read in my life. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

This is the dumbest argument I have ever read in my life. 
    Posted by KCMDux88

i wouldn't go that far, but it's up there. i'm thinking of starting a thread "if the bruins lost game 7 vs. montreal"- equally valid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The dogwhacker has an EXCELLENT point.

let's take a close look.  Bruins only won the cup by one game.  And only by 3 goals.  and the Montreal series by one goal.  ad the Tampa series.

And you get goals by shots on goal.  So we're just talking about SOG really.

So the Bruins would have lost the cup with only 4 more SOG in the finals.
    And 2 SOG in the previous series.
    And let's not count the Flyers series, that was an aberration, but even having said that, if the Bruins didn't score any goals at all and the Flyer got only 1 SOG  the whole game and it scored, it would have only been 4 lousy shots on goal to knock the Bruins out of that series.

So counting that up, it was only by about a lousy 12 SOG.

If you factor that throughout the season, it's only another 67 SOG - and the Bruins aren't even a playoff team!

And if you really look at that carefully, that puts the Bruins last in the league by quite a bit.

Hey, at least we would get the number one draft pick overall.  At least we would have one thing to be happy about.

Darn.  If only this team scored 79 less goals last season we would be in great shape.

O.  And the moral of the story is - cherry picking stats and  games is cherry picking stats and games.

And it's idiotic.

You know, the Bruins didn't score one single solitary goal in an NHL game in July and August last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Keep calm and carry on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Put it this way.. If you played the Bruins ANY time all season ( except for a 17 game stretch a long time ago last year)--you've  played a VERY AVERAGE hockey team at best. The facts tell you that: 18-17-0.  Thats an 11 seed,
    Posted by dogwhacker

If you win them in bunches, your too streaky and you're not consistent enough to win.  If you win consistently, you aren't skilled enough to be dominant.  I generally will take my points however we can get them.  This year, I think I am particularly fine with the streakiness of this team.  We do have one elite goalie, and another potential number one in the wings.  This team has shown the ability to play a complete game and this team showed last year in the playoffs that it is capable of playing at a high level against the very best teams in the league.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Keep calm and carry on.
    Posted by shaunk

Agree with this post (and others as well). At this point it looks like the Bruins have the second seed of the Eastern Conference wrapped up. The Bruins know what the playoff run is all about (see last year), and need to conserve their mental and physical energies for the playoff run (not use it up for the regular season).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

@dogwhacker - KPD...is that you?

In your article you lamented that the B's "are 5-6-1 in their last dozen games".
    But, they are 7-6-1 in their last 14 games.

I hate twisting stats around arbitrarily...distorts the fact that it is a long season and there are ups and downs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

At the end of the day the bruins will be a top 4 seed and expecialy now for this group they will be judged by this seasons postseason. I don't like seeing them lose like they did last night but it  counts as only one loss. Outside of the horrid start I can't say I have pulled a nutty this season over bruins loses. Maybe its the fact they got the cup monkey off my back for my lifetime. I still care if they win but the last 3 seasons we have seen the extreme with the bruins they run hot they run cold and at the end of the day they will be in the playoffs with a chance to defend the cup. They have been a bit frustrarting and inconsistant for a bit now but does anyone not think this team will turn it on again and have another awsome stretch of great play? I am not saying they will repeat but I think this team will get it into gear before the playoffs start. I think they will play with great focus and determination but you can never factor a teams goalie taking over  a series and stealing it. At least after last season it was nice to be on the good end of that for a change.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds," Billy Beane, and first round playoff exits.  (Emerson)

My problem with the whole consistency thing in a capped era is that you actually need players who can, for short stretches, play above and beyond what they are ordinarily capable of doing. If you can get a whole team to do that, they call that a team of destiny.  The flaw in consistency is clearer in baseball where a whole lineup of guys with .333 on base percentages would never score a run if they lineup was perfectly consistent: Man on base, out, out, man on base, out // out, man on base, out, out // repeat.  You need the factors that pull the overall percentages up to cluster, but that means you also get a cluster of factors that pull the overall down.

What you have to aim for is a low ebb that's high for low ebbs and a high tide that's as high as you can get - and at the right time.  Do that, and you're a genius.  For the record, the Bruins have had high tides in November-January for a number of years. This is when they usually level off.  And although it took three years to get over the second round hump, they were high enough to win the first round every year and push the second round series to 7 games.  It sure looks like the staff has a feel for how to manage the roller-coaster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

...and the B's could win the Cup again with a 16-12 record for the month's of Apr 8th to June 15th.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Yup everythings fine. And 2 shutouts in 2 weeks to 2 of the worst teams in the NHL by a combined 9-0 is of no concern. Let's fit those 2012 rings right now!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Gee, you're right Chicken Little!!  Something's wrong!  Better trade Lucic and Bergeron for Rick Nash!!  Better trade Boychuk and McQuaid for Whitney and Plante.  Trade!  Trade!  Trade!!  Fire Claude!!!!  Housecleaning!!! Complete Re-build!!!  Tim Thomas is pulling out of NAFTA!  Help us Foxy Loxy!

No one's saying they're just peachy with a 6-0 loss to dirtbag Miller and Buffalo Smurfs (though I love the idea that it could be a nail in Lindy Lohan's coffin that they played way better with James Patrick behind the bench).  I read the thread and it looks like people are saying that you don't make massive interventions to a team that is capable of a 30 game hot streak just because they've been...still above .500 the rest of the year.

OatesCam's question is still important - I don't know what point you're trying to make.  Is it that they aren't a good team and need to make significant changes?  You've never said, and I think that's why you're getting some flak.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

0-19

games they dont win. so.........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Yup everythings fine. And 2 shutouts in 2 weeks to 2 of the worst teams in the NHL by a combined 9-0 is of no concern. Let's fit those 2012 rings right now!
    Posted by dogwhacker

Another interesting stat..... In the 33 games the bruins have won this season thus far, they are undefeated!

Such a dumb post, Whackjob!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Bruins have a perfect record in games where they lead after the 3rd period.

They haven't lost a single game where, if you add up goals for then subtract goals against, for each period, the number is positive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

If you take away the worst two threads currently on the board...

...you can't find dog whacker's name.

Sections
Shortcuts