1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers?

Last night while packing my bags for " Hot Miami" tuned into the NHL network and noticed they were showing 2 Bruin playoff series from the past.  92 Bruins - Pens (how I hated those Pens) and the 88 Bruins-Habs series that propelled the Bruins to the Stanley Cup finals (after beating the Devils).
    Besides my hi-lite the Bruins finally beating the Habs in a playoff series there were so many factors in that series that I had locked away in my memory.
    Reggie Lemelin was the star of this game and stole it for the Bruins. While watching Reggie Lemelin I could not help but notice how much he reminded me of Tim Thomas. Made so many sprawling saves outside the blue paint : )
    Lemelin bailed out some Glen Wesley and Gord Kluzak soft plays this game. Not all of them but just enough to win the game.
    Does anyone remember why Patrick Roy didn't start this game ?
    I couldn't believe how much slashing there was in those days . Just this game there might have been about 30 slashes un-called by Kerry Fraser . I think about 10 were on Ray Bourque.
    Let's not forget Michael Thelvin's slash on Richer.
    Looking at Ray Bourque and how routinely he would come out from behind the net and pass the puck was a breathe of fresh air.  Not only was he breaking out of the zone so easily , precise passing but he would would fill the scoresheet (unlike couch couch Kaberle 4.25M).
    Today he'de be the ultimate PMD .  It was routine those days !!!
    Oh and Moe Lemay was on fire !! LOL
    Alright on my way out but very curious to see if any of you watched this last night and/or can remember this game along with your comments.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Re: 1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers?

As soon as I read '88 Adams Division Final B's-Habs, the first thing I thought of was Moe Lemay and him coming down the left-side and scoring on that snapper from just inside the blue line.  I thought he beat Roy, but not sure and I'm also not sure of what game it was in that series.

Speaking of that era, I miss my all-time favorite player: Rat Linseman.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to 1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers?:
    [QUOTE]Last night while packing my bags for " Hot Miami" tuned into the NHL network and noticed they were showing 2 Bruin playoff series from the past.  92 Bruins - Pens (how I hated those Pens) and the 88 Bruins-Habs series that propelled the Bruins to the Stanley Cup finals (after beating the Devils). Besides my hi-lite the Bruins finally beating the Habs in a playoff series there were so many factors in that series that I had locked away in my memory. Reggie Lemelin was the star of this game and stole it for the Bruins. While watching Reggie Lemelin I could not help but notice how much he reminded me of Tim Thomas. Made so many sprawling saves outside the blue paint : ) Lemelin bailed out some Glen Wesley and Gord Kluzak soft plays this game. Not all of them but just enough to win the game. Does anyone remember why Patrick Roy didn't start this game ? I couldn't believe how much slashing there was in those days . Just this game there might have been about 30 slashes un-called by Kerry Fraser . I think about 10 were on Ray Bourque. Let's not forget Michael Thelvin's slash on Richer. Looking at Ray Bourque and how routinely he would come out from behind the net and pass the puck was a breathe of fresh air.  Not only was he breaking out of the zone so easily , precise passing but he would would fill the scoresheet (unlike couch couch Kaberle 4.25M). Today he'de be the ultimate PMD .  It was routine those days !!! Oh and Moe Lemay was on fire !! LOL Alright on my way out but very curious to see if any of you watched this last night and/or can remember this game along with your comments.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I recall Lemelin making a tremendous save early in Game 7 of the Devils series. TT's epic save against Tampa Bay reminded me of Lemelin—who took over from Moog a game or two into that Montreal series, as I recall. I'll always remember Lemelin as the guy who helped break the curse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

That was also the series that put an end to 45 years of frustrations against les habitants. (in playoffs)

Eliminating the Habs that year was kind of a Stanley Cup year that year.

But in 2011, we got the CUP for REAL !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to 1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers?:
    [QUOTE]Last night while packing my bags for " Hot Miami" tuned into the NHL network and noticed they were showing 2 Bruin playoff series from the past.  92 Bruins - Pens (how I hated those Pens) and the 88 Bruins-Habs series that propelled the Bruins to the Stanley Cup finals (after beating the Devils). Besides my hi-lite the Bruins finally beating the Habs in a playoff series there were so many factors in that series that I had locked away in my memory. Reggie Lemelin was the star of this game and stole it for the Bruins. While watching Reggie Lemelin I could not help but notice how much he reminded me of Tim Thomas. Made so many sprawling saves outside the blue paint : ) Lemelin bailed out some Glen Wesley and Gord Kluzak soft plays this game. Not all of them but just enough to win the game. Does anyone remember why Patrick Roy didn't start this game ? I couldn't believe how much slashing there was in those days . Just this game there might have been about 30 slashes un-called by Kerry Fraser . I think about 10 were on Ray Bourque. Let's not forget Michael Thelvin's slash on Richer. Looking at Ray Bourque and how routinely he would come out from behind the net and pass the puck was a breathe of fresh air.  Not only was he breaking out of the zone so easily , precise passing but he would would fill the scoresheet (unlike couch couch Kaberle 4.25M). Today he'de be the ultimate PMD .  It was routine those days !!! Oh and Moe Lemay was on fire !! LOL Alright on my way out but very curious to see if any of you watched this last night and/or can remember this game along with your comments.

If memory serves me correctly & maybe Kennedy can correct me. Roy was having some stomache issues. Hayward started I think 3 or 4 games that play-off. I remember seeing him at least twice against the Whalers in rd 1.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I believe Roy had to have emergency surgery to have his appendix removed during the 1988 playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Loved that series, went to most of the home games that post season.
    Finally beating them was so sweet. I don't remember a lot of the individual play but I do remember felling like the Habs were gonna crush them after game 1 and then after the 3 wins in a row, Montreal just rolling over for them in game 5. Lemelin was immense.

'88 was also the Schoenfeld Koharski "fat pig/have another doughnut" episode.

...and sadly, the only time there was a 4 game sweep in the finals where the home team got 3 victories.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carltetus. Show carltetus's posts

In Response to Re: 1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers?:
    [QUOTE]I believe Roy had to have emergency surgery to have his appendix removed during the 1988 playoffs.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

It was in 1994. The year the Bruins won in 7 in Boston Garden. Roy came back in the 7th game after his surgery for his appendix. The Bruins took a 4-0 lead in the 1st period. Vincent Riendeau was the back up goalie. I made the trip from quebec city to see that game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I went to the series clinching game in Montreal and remember 2 things. First, how i sat their with my 2 friends ( B's fans ) in utter disbelief that that the B's had finally beaten the Habs after 45 years and secondly , how quiet it was in the forum. We wanted to get a picture of the scoreboard but immediately after the final buzzer the scoreboard operater shut it down. Also the walk out of the forum was surreal as fans were crying like they lost the Cup. I guess they couldn't believe the Bruins won. I wore my B's jersey proudly walking around the forum. Great memories.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from terribleturk. Show terribleturk's posts

Watched games 4 & 5 in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, with some people from Boston and some from Montreal. Needless to say the balance of those Montreal fans vacation wasn't as pleasant as mine. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

SENDING THE HABS PACKING THIS YEAR WAS TO MUCH SWEETER THAN 88. IT WAS GREAT TO END THE 45 YEAR PLAYOFF CURSE BUT NO CUP AT THE END. THE ROAD TO THE CUP THIS YEAR WENT THROUGH THE MONTREAL  AND ENDED PREFECTLY WITH THE CUP BACK IN BOSTON.
     PS  THANK YOU CANADA FOR PATRICE BERGERGON!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I remember Thelvin's slash in Richer. Remember laughing and then mocking a Habs fan friend beside me with something along the line of 'Typical p*ssy Hab' . The resulting push and shove nearly got us kicked out of the bar.  Aw, the memories.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers? : It was in 1994. The year the Bruins won in 7 in Boston Garden. Roy came back in the 7th game after his surgery for his appendix. The Bruins took a 4-0 lead in the 1st period. Vincent Riendeau was the back up goalie. I made the trip from quebec city to see that game.
    Posted by carltetus[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the correction. They have met so many times in the playoffs, I got the year mixed up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]As soon as I read '88 Adams Division Final B's-Habs, the first thing I thought of was Moe Lemay and him coming down the left-side and scoring on that snapper from just inside the blue line.  I thought he beat Roy, but not sure and I'm also not sure of what game it was in that series. Speaking of that era, I miss my all-time favorite player: Rat Linseman.  
    Posted by nitch19[/QUOTE]

I know Moe Lemay scored with a nice slapper on Hayward in this game.
    Yes,  also Linesman had a great playoffs in '88.  Glad we had him to slash back.
    I still find it weird and don't remember why Roy didn't start.  Just 2 years earlier Roy as a rookie made the Habs win the cup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers? : I know Moe Lemay scored with a nice slapper on Hayward in this game. Yes,  also Linesman had a great playoffs in '88.  Glad we had him to slash back. I still find it weird and don't remember why Roy didn't start.  Just 2 years earlier Roy as a rookie made the Habs win the cup.
    Hi B's, how's Miami? How long you there for?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 1988 Adams Division final Bruins-Habs game2, who remembers? : Hi B's, how's Miami? How long you there for?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Miami is hot !! but rained everyday at some point. Catching up on some computer time before my wife gets back from shopping.
    For the record does not look like I will come back tomorrow . my flight might get cancelled.
    I have to get ready to go to Quebec city for Sunday.  Does anyone have a schedule of what he'll be doing ?