19th or 20th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: 19th or 20th

In Response to Re: 19th or 20th:
    [QUOTE]One guy I would be thrilled to get if he drops down to us is Brendan Gaunce. Big body, plays physical, hard to get off the puck, and has a decent scoring touch.
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]

This is one of the players I liked this year too. I'm thinking he goes before the Bruins pick. Let's hope he drops. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I don't buy into the first round goalie conspiracies either. The past is the past. I'll stick with the theory of picking the best available player. If he's a goalie then so be it. Hopefully Bruins management realizes that past draft tendencies by other teams and GM's don't play out to what is happening in the present.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Sometimes you hear this or that draft isnt the strongest, then you look back and say wow look at all the players that came out that year. This is usually follwed by wow I cant beleive he was taken that low. You never know, and when you do know it's usually 4-5 years down the road.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : This is one of the players I liked this year too. I'm thinking he goes before the Bruins pick. Let's hope he drops. 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    Chowdah, what are your thoughts on Kosmachuk from Guelph? I see he's ranked right around where the Bruins are due to pick and his numbers are decent even though he's a bit undersized. I'm not making any suggestions, I'm just looking for your thoughts as I'm totally unfamiliar with him. Also, how would you feel if the Bruins took a flyer on Pearson? You've seen him develop over the years so I would think you've got a good feel for what he'd bring to the table.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Every year is supposed to be the 2007 draft again then late June rolls around. I was able to see Reinhart and Murray up in Everett n Portland this season. If they somehow drop PC should take one of them.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Murray is projected to go in the top 5 so he may be out of reach but if the B's can somehow move up to grab Reinhart that would be terrific. Saw him a few times the last couple of years and he would be a great pick. Skilled and tough.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE] I don't buy into the first round goalie conspiracies either. The past is the past. I'll stick with the theory of picking the best available player. If he's a goalie then so be it. Hopefully Bruins management realizes that past draft tendencies by other teams and GM's don't play out to what is happening in the present.  

I don't think it's a conspiracy, just that goalie is a hard position to judge with 18 year-olds and that the scouts are weak in seeing the potential of goalies at that age. So why take a flyer on a first round pick, when they have a slim shot of panning out in any round, on a goalie?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 19th or 20th:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : Murray is projected to go in the top 5 so he may be out of reach but if the B's can somehow move up to grab Reinhart that would be terrific. Saw him a few times the last couple of years and he would be a great pick. Skilled and tough. Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Where was Hamilton supposed to be picked ? Yes PC would need to make a move which would be tough w/o a 2nd rounder.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : Where was Hamilton supposed to be picked ? Yes PC would need to make a move which would be tough w/o a 2nd rounder.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Good point. Draft positions (other than the top 3 usually) are not static but can fluctuate. True. I just really, really want Reinhart!!! Besides, in the draft it is easier to move to the middle (where Reinhart is) than into the top 10 (Murray).

Of course, I would not complain if PC could somehow work it so he was in a position to draft either of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bunch of quick thoughts:

• Based on the way defensemen have been treated in the draft the last few years, Murray will go top 5 (playing on Team Canada as an undrafted kid is pretty good exposure...).  The second D will probably fall a few spots from where he's ranked purely on skill and potential - so Dumba and/or Reilly fall to late in the top 10 and a big bodied scorer like Gaunce probably moves up.  Eventually, though, there's a run on those defensemen who are top 10 talents, and it usually ends by about 15 or 16.  To get the benefit of this trend, I think the Bruins would need to move up 8-10 spots.  I know there's a pretty clear chart on the value of making these moves in the NFL draft - I wonder if there's a chart for this in the NHL?
    • Why the love affair with Griffin Reinhart?
    • Tanner Pearson is a reach in the first round.  Honestly, I think he's a reach in the second round, but I think it's more likely that that's were someone takes him.  He's not Yannick Riendeau, he's still younger than Riendeau was when he had his one huge season, but he's still a guy who wasn't good enough for major junior until he was 18, and he wasn't a real prospect until he surprised everyone this year.  He could turn out to be a late bloomer that everyone will regret not spotting and taking in the 7th round last year.  But he could also be that player who only becomes great in junior because he's more physically mature and experienced.
    • Taking a goalie?  In my head, it's about how many you need or how many you can play and develop.  Right now, the Bruins could take the long view with a top goalie prospect, even if they deal a goalie in the off-season.  Other than Hutchinson, goalies in the system are eons away - Gothberg will play at least two years at UND, Lars Volden isn't close, Courchaine is a throw-away.  Drafting a junior goalie now means he plays two more years of junior, then maybe three in the AHL.  I don't think there's pressure to take a goalie, but if they think Subban's the best player, sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 19th or 20th:[QUOTE] Why the love affair with Griffin Reinhart?  Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I saw him against Spokane 2 years and seen quite a few games online. I think he is worth the project especially seeing that Providence, outside of Cross, really doesn't have a "McQuaid type" size wise in the works. Also PC doesn't have a 2nd rounder to use.

It seems that PC will keep signing forwards like Pouliot till one of his draftees really breaks out at camp. So my thinking is defenseman this time around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Bookboy: as I previously mentioned I live in the West and have seen him play on a number of occasions over the past two years. He's one of those types whom the opposing team knows is on the ice and if they are not paying attention they pay the price. Plus, his offensive instincts are decent for a big guy as well. He would be a good pick, not in the same league as Hamilton of course but he is much more rugged.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Bunch of quick thoughts: Based on the way defensemen have been treated in the draft the last few years, Murray will go top 5 (playing on Team Canada as an undrafted kid is pretty good exposure...).  The second D will probably fall a few spots from where he's ranked purely on skill and potential - so Dumba and/or Reilly fall to late in the top 10 and a big bodied scorer like Gaunce probably moves up.  Eventually, though, there's a run on those defensemen who are top 10 talents, and it usually ends by about 15 or 16.  To get the benefit of this trend, I think the Bruins would need to move up 8-10 spots.  I know there's a pretty clear chart on the value of making these moves in the NFL draft - I wonder if there's a chart for this in the NHL? Why the love affair with Griffin Reinhart? Tanner Pearson is a reach in the first round.  Honestly, I think he's a reach in the second round, but I think it's more likely that that's were someone takes him.  He's not Yannick Riendeau, he's still younger than Riendeau was when he had his one huge season, but he's still a guy who wasn't good enough for major junior until he was 18, and he wasn't a real prospect until he surprised everyone this year.  He could turn out to be a late bloomer that everyone will regret not spotting and taking in the 7th round last year.  But he could also be that player who only becomes great in junior because he's more physically mature and experienced. Taking a goalie?  In my head, it's about how many you need or how many you can play and develop.  Right now, the Bruins could take the long view with a top goalie prospect, even if they deal a goalie in the off-season.  Other than Hutchinson, goalies in the system are eons away - Gothberg will play at least two years at UND, Lars Volden isn't close, Courchaine is a throw-away.  Drafting a junior goalie now means he plays two more years of junior, then maybe three in the AHL.  I don't think there's pressure to take a goalie, but if they think Subban's the best player, sure.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Book, I wouldn't mind seeing PC roll the dice on Pearson at #24. There are no guarantees at that point in the draft and as we've seen year after year, there will be many players still taken later in the draft that will go on to successful NHL careers. I look at Pearson the same way I look at late blooming college players. I guess maybe you do too as I seem to remember you not favouring the college players so much. Either way, nice post. Lots of good thoughts. Cheers!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : Chowdah, what are your thoughts on Kosmachuk from Guelph? I see he's ranked right around where the Bruins are due to pick and his numbers are decent even though he's a bit undersized. I'm not making any suggestions, I'm just looking for your thoughts as I'm totally unfamiliar with him. Also, how would you feel if the Bruins took a flyer on Pearson? You've seen him develop over the years so I would think you've got a good feel for what he'd bring to the table.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm unfamiliar with him too dez. Guelph wasn't my choice of teams to watch this year other then once. And that time I kept my eye on Matt Finn .

Pearson just doesn't stand out to me like a bunch of other prospects do. I like a half a dozen or so prospects from the OHL better then him. The late bloomers seem to emerge every year in juniors. Last year Jason Akeson in the OHL. Taking Pearson in the first round ? Kind of risky IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : I don't think it's a conspiracy, just that goalie is a hard position to judge with 18 year-olds and that the scouts are weak in seeing the potential of goalies at that age. So why take a flyer on a first round pick, when they have a slim shot of panning out in any round, on a goalie?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Some goalies stand out more then others at that age Red. I've just watched Mark Visentin's junior career . I envy the Coyotes having the rights to this goalie they picked in the 1st round 2 years ago.

Subban is very athletic and would be worth the risk as a late 1st rounder. Heck the Bruins have picked forwards and defencemen in the 1st round that haven't all panned out. Draft a goalie , let him develop and maybe after 4-5 years he'll be NHL ready. After Tuukka what do the Bruins have in young goalie talent to get excited about ? Lars Volden ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Bunch of quick thoughts: Based on the way defensemen have been treated in the draft the last few years, Murray will go top 5 (playing on Team Canada as an undrafted kid is pretty good exposure...).  The second D will probably fall a few spots from where he's ranked purely on skill and potential - so Dumba and/or Reilly fall to late in the top 10 and a big bodied scorer like Gaunce probably moves up.  Eventually, though, there's a run on those defensemen who are top 10 talents, and it usually ends by about 15 or 16.  To get the benefit of this trend, I think the Bruins would need to move up 8-10 spots.  I know there's a pretty clear chart on the value of making these moves in the NFL draft - I wonder if there's a chart for this in the NHL? Why the love affair with Griffin Reinhart? Tanner Pearson is a reach in the first round.  Honestly, I think he's a reach in the second round, but I think it's more likely that that's were someone takes him.  He's not Yannick Riendeau, he's still younger than Riendeau was when he had his one huge season, but he's still a guy who wasn't good enough for major junior until he was 18, and he wasn't a real prospect until he surprised everyone this year.  He could turn out to be a late bloomer that everyone will regret not spotting and taking in the 7th round last year.  But he could also be that player who only becomes great in junior because he's more physically mature and experienced. Taking a goalie?  In my head, it's about how many you need or how many you can play and develop.  Right now, the Bruins could take the long view with a top goalie prospect, even if they deal a goalie in the off-season.  Other than Hutchinson, goalies in the system are eons away - Gothberg will play at least two years at UND, Lars Volden isn't close, Courchaine is a throw-away.  Drafting a junior goalie now means he plays two more years of junior, then maybe three in the AHL.  I don't think there's pressure to take a goalie, but if they think Subban's the best player, sure.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Very good post ! This short story novel was worth the read.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The Oilers are willing to trade their first rd. pick for good return. If the Bruins can work a deal with edm. to get their 1st we go after another top d man Murray. The question is what will the cost be to get Edm. 1st pick ? Murray and Hamilton 2 young d men the Bruins future blueline if these 2 can be NHL ready next year by trade deadline the flood gates can open up. The Oilers are looking for good prospects and d man NHL ready. Boston's 1st rd and Boychuk will at least start a conversation with Oilers. It is a long shot but I think they are more interseted in Toronto Mtl or Columbus 1st rd pick plus prospect.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

Boychuk and the B's first round pick might move them from the 19th to the 13th.

If the B's want Edmonton's first pick, a great player has to go the other way, not a 4/5 d-man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They could trade the first and Krejci to move up.

Then they could take Kabanov.

He's going to be awesome.

I read all about him.  Make the move, PC!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]What stands out here is the lack of division winners in the Top 4 in each scenario. Scary playoffs this year...bad for my pool picks too.
    Posted by Davinator[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Very scary.  Like Seguin scary.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes, drafting is a gamble, but I trust the scouting reports and I think they have historically proven to be... a halfway decent gamble.  I don't want to see them 'defy the common wisdom' too much.  Common wisdom said McFarland and Toffoli a few years back.

And I noticed that Kabanov has 13 pts in 11 playoff games this year.

And these ideas about 'trading up' in the draft can go more lunatic than a mouse in a milk can.

Can those folks who said that the Bruins should trade up to get Taylor Hall please step forward and put on dunce caps, pull their pants down and sit in the corner sucking their thumbs for a while?

And that idiot that said that PC 'got schooled' when making that trade for Horton and Campbell, please step forward and put on dunce caps, pull their pants down and sit in the corner and find a new place to stick one of their thumbs for a while?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, drafting is a gamble, but I trust the scouting reports and I think they have historically proven to be... a halfway decent gamble.  I don't want to see them 'defy the common wisdom' too much.  Common wisdom said McFarland and Toffoli a few years back. And I noticed that Kabanov has 13 pts in 11 playoff games this year. And these ideas about 'trading up' in the draft can go more lunatic than a mouse in a milk can. Can those folks who said that the Bruins should trade up to get Taylor Hall please step forward and put on dunce caps, pull their pants down and sit in the corner sucking their thumbs for a while? And that idiot that said that PC 'got schooled' when making that trade for Horton and Campbell, please step forward and put on dunce caps, pull their pants down and sit in the corner and find a new place to stick one of their thumbs for a while?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Is that supposed to be good? A stats guy like yourself probably noticed guys like Charlie Coyle and Galiev who were also from Kabanov's draft class. In the same league playoffs, they've each managed to put up 34 points in 17 games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE] I don't buy into the first round goalie conspiracies either. The past is the past. I'll stick with the theory of picking the best available player. If he's a goalie then so be it. Hopefully Bruins management realizes that past draft tendencies by other teams and GM's don't play out to what is happening in the present.  

Agree with this.  The B's pick at 23 or 24 is not going to see the daylight of the NHL roster for several years.  Who knows how your roster shakes out by then?  Seems a little short-sighted to draft for current needs or organizational weakness with a kid that won't be suiting up anytime soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : Is that supposed to be good? A stats guy like yourself probably noticed guys like Charlie Coyle and Galiev who were also from Kabanov's draft class. In the same league playoffs, they've each managed to put up 34 points in 17 games.

I look at the team as well, as Kabanov led his team in points.
    Looks to me like the Sea Dogs are a significantly better team.

The guy isn't dead yet.  There's at least a couple of guys drafted before him that I think he has better potential than.  

For reference guys like Angelo Esposito and Hamill I consider to be 3/4 dead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : Agree with this.  The B's pick at 23 or 24 is not going to see the daylight of the NHL roster for several years.  Who knows how your roster shakes out by then?  Seems a little short-sighted to draft for current needs or organizational weakness with a kid that won't be suiting up anytime soon.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

With Bergeron, Lucic and Seguin drafted today to play tomorrow, many people expect draft picks to make the team instantly.  In fact, many people expect draft picks to make the team.

Look at the hoopla still surrounding Knight and Spooner.  According to reports (from Chowda mainly), they haven't progressed, but seem stagnant or even worst since drafted. Ignoring that info, guys here are still putting one of them on the third line to replace Kelly.  Crazy!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : I look at the team as well, as Kabanov led his team in points. Looks to me like the Sea Dogs are a significantly better team. The guy isn't dead yet.  There's at least a couple of guys drafted before him that I think he has better potential than.   For reference guys like Angelo Esposito and Hamill I consider to be 3/4 dead.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Boy, won't they be disappointed when they find out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : Boy, won't they be disappointed when they find out.

It doesn't seem like they will be disappointed.  And that's a lot of the problem.  Seems to me they'll be perfectly happy playing in Legnano or Lucerne or Bolzano.

Sections
Shortcuts