20 Bruins - Legends Edition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

20 Bruins - Legends Edition

Time for another 20 Bruins thread to distract us from the boredom of summer. This isn't riddles or gotcha questions about obscure players. These are straight out hardcore trivia questions about Bruins Legends.

In fact, aside from being Bruins, they all share another trait in common, but I'll let you figure that out yourselves.
    1. He was the first player to play more NHL games in a season than were scheduled.

2. Wayne Gretzky retired with 61 scoring records. He was the first player to break one of them.

3. This player originally signed with the Bruins for $2,800, a used car and a new wardrobe.

4. He holds the record for most stitches received in an NHL career

5. Outside of the NHL his hockey accomplishments include three Allan Cups and two trips to the Olympics.

6. Finish this quote “"You give me five guys named ________ I'll put my grandmother in the net and we'll beat all of them”

7. He asked to be traded, and was, after the Bruins GM at the time resigned.

8. As a coach he led his team to four Beanpot titles and was named US College coach of the year.

9. Retired second on the all-time list for both goals and points.

10. He scored his first career goal against Don Beaupre in his first career game, before going on a 16 game scoreless streak.

11. Complete this Foster Hewitt play-by-play "Mahovlich has a breakaway! He's at the Boston blue line. Only ______ between him and the goal. Big Frank dekes left. Now he shifts right, trying to sweep around the burly Boston defenseman . . . WHAMMO! `Uh-oh! ______ catches No. 27 with a wicked hip check. Frank does a cartwheel. Now _____ has the puck.”

12. After his playing career he would coach various teams to a total of 11 Ivy League Championships.

13. He was the first rookie to win the Hart Trophy.

14. He has the dubious honour of being the runner-up for a major NHL award the most amount of times without having ever actually won the award.

15. This Bruin was one-half of the first pair of brothers to play against each other in the Stanley Cup Finals.

16. He played LW on a line briefly called the Kitchener Kids.

17. According to Bobby Hull he “was the funniest player… ever.”

18. Prior to joining the Bruins he led the WCHL in scoring for four consecutive seasons.

19. He is a HHOFer despite only scoring one career goal in the NHL.

20. He has a movie credit in the film There’s Something About Mary. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition

3 is orr right? didn't they also get new siding on his parents house?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

8. Fernie Flaman Northeastern University (great hockey name!)

Ha beat you to it Fletch!

PS. Everyone hurry BadHab is going to hog up this thread by trying to answer all the questions. While doing this he will get 70% of the answers wrong and throw everyone off lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Why Orr of course. Thanks Red for trying to spice up a slow summer!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Orr and Flaman are right, and San, I totally agree with you about BadHab

PS an Orr question that wouldn't be a give away was really hard to track down. Some of these should be easy for us diehards, but I did try to make them difficult overall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from grizzlybear69. Show grizzlybear69's posts

6  ...The one and only NO15 MILT SCHMIDT.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

is #4 a trick question?....  Cheevers and the stitches on his mask....  if not, i didn't know they kept records of stitches received....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition:
    [QUOTE]is #4 a trick question?....  Cheevers and the stitches on his mask....  if not, i didn't know they kept records of stitches received....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

Not a trick - he had nearly three hundred stitches directly because of cuts received in the NHL.

And Schmidt is right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

#9 is Esposito, I think #11 is Leo Boivin, #14 is Brad Park and #16 is Woody Dumart.

I'll leave the rest to BadHab.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

right off of the top of my head and shooting from the hip
    #4 Gary Doak
    #6 Orr, no wait, Stan Jonathan, um, I mean Rosey Ruzsicka
    #9 Guyle Fielder
    #10 Nifty
    #12 Donato
    #13 Sanderson
    #17 Phil Esposito
    #18 Derlago
    #19 Guyle Fielder or some goalie
    #20 Neely

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wow you suck BH lol, all wrong except for Neely at number 20. Book's right on all four of his.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

17.  Cheevers?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]17.  Cheevers?

Yep :)

And a hint for 19 - he is NOT a goalie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition:[QUOTE]Wow you suck BH lol, all wrong except for Neely at number 20. Book's right on all four of his. Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Oh that is just priceless Nice!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition : Yep :) And a hint for 19 - he is NOT a goalie.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Art Ross....  who would've thunk it?....  good one....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I won't try, but 19 has to be a coach. No?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

can anyone supply a summary?

I've been drinking and can't do it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition : Art Ross....  who would've thunk it?....  good one....

Very good ;) I thought that would be the last question standing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]can anyone supply a summary? I've been drinking and can't do it.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Half way there

1. He was the first player to play more NHL games in a season than were scheduled.

2. Wayne Gretzky retired with 61 scoring records. He was the first player to break one of them.

3. This player originally signed with the Bruins for $2,800, a used car and a new wardrobe. Bobby Orr

4. He holds the record for most stitches received in an NHL career

5. Outside of the NHL his hockey accomplishments include three Allan Cups and two trips to the Olympics.

6. Finish this quote “"You give me five guys named ________ I'll put my grandmother in the net and we'll beat all of them” Milt Schmidt

7. He asked to be traded, and was, after the Bruins GM at the time resigned.

8. As a coach he led his team to four Beanpot titles and was named US College coach of the year. Fernie Flaman

9. Retired second on the all-time list for both goals and points. Phil Esposito.

10. He scored his first career goal against Don Beaupre in his first career game, before going on a 16 game scoreless streak.

11. Complete this Foster Hewitt play-by-play "Mahovlich has a breakaway! He's at the Boston blue line. Only ______ between him and the goal. Big Frank dekes left. Now he shifts right, trying to sweep around the burly Boston defenseman . . . WHAMMO! `Uh-oh! ______ catches No. 27 with a wicked hip check. Frank does a cartwheel. Now _____ has the puck.” Leo Boivin

12. After his playing career he would coach various teams to a total of 11 Ivy League Championships.

13. He was the first rookie to win the Hart Trophy.

14. He has the dubious honour of being the runner-up for a major NHL award the most amount of times without having ever actually won the award. Brad Park.

15. This Bruin was one-half of the first pair of brothers to play against each other in the Stanley Cup Finals.

16. He played LW on a line briefly called the Kitchener Kids. Woody Dumart

17. According to Bobby Hull he “was the funniest player… ever.” Gerry Cheevers

18. Prior to joining the Bruins he led the WCHL in scoring for four consecutive seasons.

19. He is a HHOFer despite only scoring one career goal in the NHL. Art Ross

20. He has a movie credit in the film There’s Something About Mary. Cam Neely.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I can't imagine it's a real record, considering it's impossible to know who got what, when and how many, but I'm going to guess Sawchuk is the stitch guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No, and it is a real record - not counted by game, but it was counted post-retirement, dating back to the mid-thirties. There's a chance some stitches were miscounted, but this individual has this record as part of his HHOF display, so I'm going with the Hall's records.

Also, none of these players are like Sawchuk, playing a short time with the Bruins. All of them were with the franchise for a minimum of four seasons. These aren't just hockey legends, they're BRUINS legends.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

#1 is Joe Thornton...NO wait you said legends..I'll say Jean Ratelle 
    #4 is Eddie shore
    #13 Nels Stewart
    #15 is...well his last name was Boucher..Greg maybe his first??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

5. Harry Sinden
    7. Terry Sawchuk
    10. Ray Bourque
    13. Nels Stewart
    15. Billy Boucher
    18. Reggie Leach
    1. is on the tip of my tongue, it will come to me

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

17: Cheevers being the funniest player ever:

I work with a guy who was part of the upper level of the Sabres' management for about 25 years. He was once driving in crazy Washington D.C. traffic. Cheevers and a couple of broadcast guys were in the car. My friend has a world-class sense of humor, but he said Cheevers had him laughing so hard he had to pull off the road.

Sections
Shortcuts