20 Bruins - Legends Edition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition

Stewart is right for 13, Shore is right for 4.

A clarification on 15 - I messed up, I was only looking at Cup finals since the league took over the Cup. The Boucher's played against each other prior to that. So this player was half of the first pair of brothers to play against each other for the Cup in the NHL. My bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Where it stands so far, with an edit to question 15.

1. He was the first player to play more NHL games in a season than were scheduled.

2. Wayne Gretzky retired with 61 scoring records. He was the first player to break one of them.

3. This player originally signed with the Bruins for $2,800, a used car and a new wardrobe. Bobby Orr

4. He holds the record for most stitches received in an NHL career. Eddie Shore

5. Outside of the NHL his hockey accomplishments include three Allan Cups and two trips to the Olympics.

6. Finish this quote “"You give me five guys named ________ I'll put my grandmother in the net and we'll beat all of them” Milt Schmidt

7. He asked to be traded, and was, after the Bruins GM at the time resigned.

8. As a coach he led his team to four Beanpot titles and was named US College coach of the year. Fernie Flaman

9. Retired second on the all-time list for both goals and points. Phil Esposito.

10. He scored his first career goal against Don Beaupre in his first career game, before going on a 16 game scoreless streak.

11. Complete this Foster Hewitt play-by-play "Mahovlich has a breakaway! He's at the Boston blue line. Only ______ between him and the goal. Big Frank dekes left. Now he shifts right, trying to sweep around the burly Boston defenseman . . . WHAMMO! `Uh-oh! ______ catches No. 27 with a wicked hip check. Frank does a cartwheel. Now _____ has the puck.” Leo Boivin

12. After his playing career he would coach various teams to a total of 11 Ivy League Championships.

13. He was the first rookie to win the Hart Trophy. Nels Stewart

14. He has the dubious honour of being the runner-up for a major NHL award the most amount of times without having ever actually won the award. Brad Park.

15. This Bruin was one-half of the first pair of brothers to play against each other in the Stanley Cup Finals in the NHL.

16. He played LW on a line briefly called the Kitchener Kids. Woody Dumart

17. According to Bobby Hull he “was the funniest player… ever.” Gerry Cheevers

18. Prior to joining the Bruins he led the WCHL in scoring for four consecutive seasons.

19. He is a HHOFer despite only scoring one career goal in the NHL. Art Ross

20. He has a movie credit in the film There’s Something About Mary. Cam Neely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

14. still cracks me up. Poor Park. In any other era he would have won the Norris at least once. Plus, he never won a cup either. How unfortunate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition:
    Stewart is right for 13, Shore is right for 4. A clarification on 15 - I messed up, I was only looking at Cup finals since the league took over the Cup. The Boucher's played against each other prior to that. So this player was half of the first pair of brothers to play against each other for the Cup in the NHL. My bad.
    Posted by red75

1927 was the first year that the NHL took over. Only NHL teams contested from that year on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

#2: Ray Bourque
    #10: Adam Oates

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

#2: Ray Bourque #10: Adam Oates
    Posted by Ronstar8

Yes and yes. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Nels Stewart wins the Hart in his first year without being named rookie-of-the-year?....  that's because the Calder only started being awarded years later....

THANX RED, all that time i spent checking both winners lists was for nothing....

kudos to the one who picked up on it....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

#1 I recall the color commentary where they were saying that when someone was traded to the Bruins he ended up playing more than the 81 games.  It was Bill Guerin who played 64 for the Oil and 21 for the Bruins in 2000-01

#2 Ray Bourque with most career overtime assists, and it was broken again by Messier (?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

#1 I recall the color commentary where they were saying that when someone was traded to the Bruins he ended up playing more than the 81 games.  It was Bill Guerin who played 64 for the Oil and 21 for the Bruins in 2000-01 #2 Ray Bourque with most career overtime assists, and it was broken again by Messier (?)
    Posted by BadHabitude

Badhad, I guessed the Bourque question but I remember it being about all-star game appearences. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

15. Terry played against his brother Ken Reardon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Bourque one is right, but the record was both all-star appearances and all-star assists (happened in the same game) the all-star assists was later broken by Sakic. And number one pulled off that feat before Guerin was even born.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

15. Terry played against his brother Ken Reardon.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

It happened before then. Big hint - it happened in Boston's first Cup win. Another big hint in case you haven't noticed the theme of this yet. Every answer is a member of the HHOF, hence my use of the word "Legends"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In Response to Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition : It happened before then. Big hint - it happened in Boston's first Cup win. Another big hint in case you haven't noticed the theme of this yet. Every answer is a member of the HHOF, hence my use of the word "Legends"
    Posted by red75

easy, Tiny Thompson....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 20 Bruins - Legends Edition :  Every answer is a member of the HHOF, hence my use of the word "Legends" Posted by red75

Yep I should have looked earlier and oh both Reardon's are in the HHOF. Thanks for the hints all the same though :D

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Five left

1. He was the first player to play more NHL games in a season than were scheduled.

5. Outside of the NHL his hockey accomplishments include three Allan Cups and two trips to the Olympics.

12. After his playing career he would coach various teams to a total of 11 Ivy League Championships.

18. Prior to joining the Bruins he led the WCHL in scoring for four consecutive seasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Some hints, I've been thinking and searching for hours.

Confirmation:  All are NHL HHOFers?

Was the reason because of a trade?
    You do mean that he played more games in a season than were scheduled for a single season for one team?

Before or after Canada stopped participating?

Was Lynn Patrick the only GM to resign?

Leo Boivin after Lynn Patrick resigned (?)

Ivy League?  Are you sure?

Fernie Flaman is the only former Bruin that coached for a long time in college.

Duke Keats?  Harvey Oliver?  These are the only 2 Boston Bruins HHOFers I found that played in the WCHL, but neither won the scoeing title.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heebiehoo. Show heebiehoo's posts

#12 is Bill Quackenbush.  Princeton Men's Golf (8) and Women's Ice Hockey (3).  I was convinced it was  Ralph "Cooney" Weiland but he only coached 9 champion hockey teams for the Crimson. (and 1 Bruins Stanley Cup)

Red, nice 20 btw

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

#12 is Bill Quackenbush.  Princeton Men's Golf (8) and Women's Ice Hockey (3).  I was convinced it was  Ralph "Cooney" Weiland but he only coached 9 champion hockey teams for the Crimson. (and 1 Bruins Stanley Cup) Red, nice 20 btw
    Posted by heebiehoo

bingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And BH all are NHL HHOFERS, all were with the Bruins for at least four seaons.

1. It was because of a trade.

5. Before Canada took a hiatus.

7. no

12. It was Quackenbush

18. Oliver, he won it four straight years (unless the repurable site i checked was screwing with me)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And BH all are NHL HHOFERS, all were with the Bruins for at least four seaons. 1. It was because of a trade. 5. Before Canada took a hiatus. 7. no 12. It was Quackenbush 18. Oliver, he won it four straight years (unless the repurable site i checked was screwing with me)
    Posted by red75

re: Oliver, hockey db has the Calgary Tigers in the WHL (from the WCHL) in Oliver's final year there.   OK, maybe just a technicality there, but I see Bill Cook with 42 pts in 25-26 for the Sheiks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Stumped. Totally.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

18. I'll check it again. But my intended answer was Oliver.

1. It happened in the 1920's

5. He was a Kitchner Kid.

7. I messed up. It was when the coach resigned, not the GM />

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

5 is Bobby Bauer.  Trick question - both the Allan Cups and the Olympic participation were as a coach, not a player.

I'm assuming #1 is also a bit of a trick.  I did a bit of looking at players involved in Bruins trades in the 20s, then went back thinking it might be a guy like Sprague Cleghorn before he joined the Bruins - but I couldn't find a single player who fulfilled the criteria in the 1920s.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

5 is Bobby Bauer.  Trick question - both the Allan Cups and the Olympic participation were as a coach, not a player. I'm assuming #1 is also a bit of a trick.  I did a bit of looking at players involved in Bruins trades in the 20s, then went back thinking it might be a guy like Sprague Cleghorn before he joined the Bruins - but I couldn't find a single player who fulfilled the criteria in the 1920s.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Same here, searched the players in the 20's for both GP and trades.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

5 is Bobby Bauer.  Trick question - both the Allan Cups and the Olympic participation were as a coach, not a player. I'm assuming #1 is also a bit of a trick.  I did a bit of looking at players involved in Bruins trades in the 20s, then went back thinking it might be a guy like Sprague Cleghorn before he joined the Bruins - but I couldn't find a single player who fulfilled the criteria in the 1920s.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Hockey db only lists Bauer as a coach for 1 season with Kitchener.

Sections
Shortcuts