2003 NHL Draft / Mark Stuart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

2003 NHL Draft / Mark Stuart

This is widely regarded as the most prolific draft in NHL history, even better than 1979. It makes me sick to keep looking at what was available after Stuart. Who would you have taken? You can't say Bergy either. I would have taken Weber.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: 2003 NHL Draft / Mark Stuart

Still amazes me that Big Buff went in the 8th round of this draft!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

and we could have traded down to get Maxim Lapierre - what a silly conversation to have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hugh Jessiman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Richards in the 1st  Weber in the 2nd   sorry Patrice

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A little stroll down Mike O'Connell lane.  I remember the smug look on his face when it was announced that the Bruins had swapped firsts with the Sharks that year.  They picked up a second and a fourth round pick for dropping from 16 to 21 - not bad, except they used the second rounder to draft Masi Marjamaki (and we all have such fond memories of chanting Ma-si, Ma-si! throughout his illustrious NHL career).  The fourth rounder was Bitz.

The Sharks drafted Steve Bernier, who they traded to Buffalo along with another first rounder all for a few months of Brian Campbell's time.  So the Sharks have nothing to show for two first round picks, a second, and a fourth due to this trade.

Hard to know which team to shame on this deal - probably both - because here are the four players picked between 16-21:

17 Zach Parise
    18 Eric Fehr
    19 Ryan Getzlaf
    20 Brent Burns

Two of those guys have been e-Harmony deadline trade saviours on this board - and the Bruins chose to trade away a shot at them while the Sharks chose poorly (though hey, that's going to happen).  I don't think anyone has been loony enough to suggest the Bruins trade for Getzlaf.

Drafts are an inexact science, but this one always kills me - with no offense to Stuart - because of that smug look on O'Connell's face.  He had the same look when they took Bergeron though. (PB is eigth career scoring out of that draft class - Stall, Getzlaf, Vanek, Parise, Richards, Perry, NaHo, and then PB.  Not out of the question to think he'd be top five if not for his two lost years.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I am under the impression that Chiarelli has replaced almost all of the " scouts" who were advising O'Connel, although Kreji was not a poor choice. It now appears that as the bruins have been re-stocked, the pipeline is better than ever except in the future defenseman category. Although BB's mention that BYfuglein [sp.] was picked in 2003 it is evident that defensemen take much longer to develop, so that Button, Cohen Bartkowski and the russian may still be two or three years away. This all supports Chiarelli's focus on acquiring a proven young defenseman with the Toronto #1 pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: 2003 NHL Draft / Mark Stuart:
    [QUOTE]A little stroll down Mike O'Connell lane.  I remember the smug look on his face when it was announced that the Bruins had swapped firsts with the Sharks that year.  They picked up a second and a fourth round pick for dropping from 16 to 21 - not bad, except they used the second rounder to draft Masi Marjamaki (and we all have such fond memories of chanting Ma-si, Ma-si! throughout his illustrious NHL career).  The fourth rounder was Bitz. The Sharks drafted Steve Bernier, who they traded to Buffalo along with another first rounder all for a few months of Brian Campbell's time.  So the Sharks have nothing to show for two first round picks, a second, and a fourth due to this trade. Hard to know which team to shame on this deal - probably both - because here are the four players picked between 16-21: 17 Zach Parise 18 Eric Fehr 19 Ryan Getzlaf 20 Brent Burns Two of those guys have been e-Harmony deadline trade saviours on this board - and the Bruins chose to trade away a shot at them while the Sharks chose poorly (though hey, that's going to happen).  I don't think anyone has been loony enough to suggest the Bruins trade for Getzlaf. Drafts are an inexact science, but this one always kills me - with no offense to Stuart - because of that smug look on O'Connell's face.  He had the same look when they took Bergeron though. (PB is eigth career scoring out of that draft class - Stall, Getzlaf, Vanek, Parise, Richards, Perry, NaHo, and then PB.  Not out of the question to think he'd be top five if not for his two lost years.)
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Not only should they trade for Getzlaf but they should trade for Perry as well :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Speaking of Mark Stuart isn't it time to give him another crack with the Bruins having  given up 12 goals in the  last two games? It's not like the guys that are playing D now are shutting it down. Who knows Stuart may surprise them and he has got to be really angry about sitting out to all the young kids so he has the motivation to prove himself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

FP, i agree, no reason to not play him for a game, healthy scratching say Boychuk, who then may step up his game after the benching.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In Response to 2003 NHL Draft / Mark Stuart:
    [QUOTE]This is widely regarded as the most prolific draft in NHL history, even better than 1979. It makes me sick to keep looking at what was available after Stuart. Who would you have taken? You can't say Bergy either. I would have taken Weber. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html
    Posted by soups-7[/QUOTE]

OUCH! could have had Ryan Kesler or Mike Richards or Corey Perry or Shea Weber instead we got StuartCry

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

What a pointless conversation.  I would also like Logan couture instead of zach hammil, and atleast that conversation talks about this current regime.  Should we bring back OC for a cane lashing for picking stuart/bergeron?  I say we are lucky we atleast got one of those top players.

I bet every team in the NHL wishes they picked Shea Weber, especially with their second rounder.

32 teams in the NFL would pick tom brady 1st overall in 2000 if they could do it all again, but ya cant!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

[QUOTE]FP, i agree, no reason to not play him for a game, healthy scratching say Boychuk, who then may step up his game after the benching.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Okay time to see what Stuart got cause it looks like he's in this afternoon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It goes both ways and in hindsight the Bruins have made out like bandits in other drafts. Would anyone here pick Rob Ramage, Perry Turnbull, Mike Foligno, Rick Vaive, Craig Hartsburg or Keith Brown ahead of Ray Bourque?
    No - in fact of the seven players drafted ahead of him fellow HOFer Mike Gartner is the only one in retrospect I would consider drafting ahead of Bourque,and I'd still take Bourque first.

It's a silly question - every single team has had drafts where they've missed it and drafts where they got a steal. It's the nature of the beast.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]It goes both ways and in hindsight the Bruins have made out like bandits in other drafts. Would anyone here pick Rob Ramage, Perry Turnbull, Mike Foligno, Rick Vaive, Craig Hartsburg or Keith Brown ahead of Ray Bourque? No - in fact of the seven players drafted ahead ofhimfellow HOFer Mike artner is the only one in retrospect I would consider drafting aheadof Bourque,and I'd still take Borque frst. It's a silly question - every single team has had drafts where they've missed it and drafts where they got a steal. It's the nature of the beast.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking for a while that this coming draft reminds me of that one. 

On intuition alone I'm thinking that this is going to be one of those drafts just like 1979.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In terms of depth (because I don't think so) or in terms of lesser ranked players turning into superstars (because on that we concur)?

I like Larsson, but otherwise, I hope the B's scouting staff is working overtime.

(And in case you're wondering, I'd take Bourque over Gartner because despite of Gartner's amazing goal totals as a forward, Ray still has him beat for assists and points while playing D and no one will ever mention Mike's name in a discussion of best five forwards, whereas in a talk about best 5 D, Ray's name comes  up every single time)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In terms of depth (because I don't think so) or in terms of lesser ranked players turning into superstars (because on that we concur)? I like Larsson, but otherwise, I hope the B's scouting staf is working overtime.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Yes, we agree, lesser ranked players turning into superstars.

Speaking of drafts, I just remarked on another thread how awesome this Kessel deal is proving.

Even the Kessel lovers admit that now, but they like to say it was "lucky" and that Chia even said he didn't expect the pick to be that hight - as if Chia would say, 'yah I took that sap to the cleaners.'

And then they said Toronto would be better this year - and I was saying how can the Leafs possibly improve for this year?  Who can they deal for anyone better?  And of course  they don't have the picks.

These have been 2 really fun years rooting for the Bruins and against the Leafs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I will miss them when they're over... Any chance we can talk Ottawa into trading us their next two first rounders? For Colbornne? ;)

And even if Seguin turns into a Rick Vaive, and Knight plays like Knight plays now, and we end up with a... Mike Gartner? in this draft, we'll still have won it.

Hell, I'd take Vaive over Kessel straight up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

We already had Thornton, and Rolston as our 1 & 2 centers, I can't think of a single team that had three centers who could be a strong #2 or better at that point. Hell, Bergeron was a right wing when he broke in.

[QUOTE]Mike Richards then I make a trade to get Weber
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I want Landeskog.

Our left wings could be: Lucic, Marchand, Landeskog for years....

[QUOTE]In terms of depth (because I don't think so) or in terms of lesser ranked players turning into superstars (because on that we concur)? I like Larsson, but otherwise, I hope the B's scouting staff is working overtime. (And in case you're wondering, I'd take Bourque over Gartner because despite of Gartner's amazing goal totals as a forward, Ray still has him beat for assists and points while playing D and no one will ever mention Mike's name in a discussion of best five forwards, whereas in a talk about best 5 D, Ray's name comes  up every single time)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wilsondogg. Show wilsondogg's posts

[QUOTE]A little stroll down Mike O'Connell lane.  I remember the smug look on his face when it was announced that the Bruins had swapped firsts with the Sharks that year.  They picked up a second and a fourth round pick for dropping from 16 to 21 - not bad, except they used the second rounder to draft Masi Marjamaki (and we all have such fond memories of chanting Ma-si, Ma-si! throughout his illustrious NHL career).  The fourth rounder was Bitz. The Sharks drafted Steve Bernier, who they traded to Buffalo along with another first rounder all for a few months of Brian Campbell's time.  So the Sharks have nothing to show for two first round picks, a second, and a fourth due to this trade. Hard to know which team to shame on this deal - probably both - because here are the four players picked between 16-21: 17 Zach Parise 18 Eric Fehr 19 Ryan Getzlaf 20 Brent Burns Two of those guys have been e-Harmony deadline trade saviours on this board - and the Bruins chose to trade away a shot at them while the Sharks chose poorly (though hey, that's going to happen).  I don't think anyone has been loony enough to suggest the Bruins trade for Getzlaf. Drafts are an inexact science, but this one always kills me - with no offense to Stuart - because of that smug look on O'Connell's face.  He had the same look when they took Bergeron though. (PB is eigth career scoring out of that draft class - Stall, Getzlaf, Vanek, Parise, Richards, Perry, NaHo, and then PB.  Not out of the question to think he'd be top five if not for his two lost years.)
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I remember being in shock when O'Connell made this move and didn't take Parise.  Even the announcers were setting it up as a done deal and that - thanks God - the Bruins were going to get a guaranteed impact forward in Parise, and how they couldn't believe he was still available at 17...and what does O'Connell do?  He trades down and blows it.  I am so glad someone else on here mentioned this, because it still haunts me to this day.  One of the all-time classic Mike O'Connell eff-ups...I sat there in disbelief as I watched the Devils scoop him up with a grin on their faces.  O'Connell will never live that one down as far as I'm concerned.  One of the all time all-time stupid draft moves.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gardensupporter. Show Gardensupporter's posts

Our Defense is underwhelming to say the least. Desperately need a puck mover.

Boychuck hasn't shown me much at all defensively and AWOL all season offensively. 

This team isn't going beyond round 2 as constructed.
    The biggest issue may be the collapse of Rask which is beginning to take its toll on Timmy.  If they overuse Timmy the rest of way---we've seen what happens to Tiimmy when he gets tired.  All of a sudden, Goaltending is now an issue for the Bs. 

There's NO part of their game thats a given right now except maybe for penalty killing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This post certainly strayed from a discussion on Brad Stuart. Stuart played, and played well. Kamfer sat and Boychuck continued to make glaring mistakes. In addition defensive changes were screwed up all night. Who is the real culprit? Claude for sitting the wrong defenseman?/ Or Houda for messing up defense changes?? It's not the first time. Let's hope Boychuck goes and Stuart stays.