2007 draft vs this year's draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

2007 draft vs this year's draft

2007 - the draft year that brought us Zach Hamill.  A pretty stinky draft.  Altho I did count up 25 guys or so that have become NHL regulars, and some late bloomers like PK Subban.  Then again, there was the highly touted Angelo Esposito and

Anybody watch enough jr to do a compare and contrast with that year?

Being in the US I barely get to see jr.  This year's draft looks like its going to be hit and miss like 2007 with some really late picks that will turn out great and some early picks that go back to their factory jobs after their first contract expires.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: 2007 draft vs this year's draft

I remember months ago, listening to one of those panel experts ( old coaches and hockey players), TSN,  saying that the 2011 draft would have excellant picks in the top 10, and then slim pickens after. Time will tell.

PS :  hope the hockey went well tonite and the beer tasted good...i can hardly wait to get off these nites (10-12hrs in a row).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Boston will get a shot at a good big forward or defenceman.  This is great.  #9 is a nice position.  Better than 27th!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: 2007 draft vs this year's draft:
    [QUOTE]Boston will get a shot at a good big forward or defenceman.  This is great.  #9 is a nice position.  Better than 27th!
    Posted by olsonstephanie[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The B's 2011 pick should be a good one thanks again to TO....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

We'll see how Tommy Cross does in camp not a total bust just yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The story of the 2007 draft is still playing out.  Consider the following:

Brad Marchand looked like a career AHLer last year in his 20 games.  This year, he looked like he might have challenged for the Calder if he'd played with Bergeron and Recchi all year.  Drafted third round 2006.  Same year as leading rookie goalscorer Michael Grabner.

Several 2007 draftees made their first real inroads this year - Couture, Shattenkirk, Subban...Steven Kampfer.  These aren't guys who just sort of tiptoed into the league, either (well, Kampfer isn't on the same level as the others).

The rookie scoring list this year is a pretty even mix of 2006 (2), 2007 (3), 2008 (3), 2010 (3) in the top 11 (Bickell, #12 in rookie scoring, was drafted in 2004).  2009 doesn't appear because so many guys walked right in: Tavares, Hedberg, Duchene, O'Reilly, Kane; the guys who needed longer to develop are hammering on the door: Schenn, Kadri, Kassian, Carter, Despres.

Given that D, as a rule, take longer to develop than forwards, there are a number of 2007 draftees who still have a very real shot to be NHLers and even impact NHLers.  SanDog mentioned Tommy Cross, and you can add Colby Cohen and Kampfer as other Bruin D drafted in 2007 who are worth sticking with - though they may never be the big impact stars.  Across the league, how's this list: Jonathan Blum, Thomas Hickey, Keaton Ellerby, Ryan McDonagh, T.J. Brennan (15 goals in the A this year).  These are knocking on the door guys - or in McDonagh's case, guys who are very recently arrived.

The old defense of Hamill that 2007 was a bum year?  I don't think it still applies.  Truer to say that it was a year for players who have taken longer to develop.  You can even use that to defend Hamill to some degree - but his days in that shade are pretty numbered.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

The old defense of Hamill that 2007 was a bum year?  I don't think it still applies.  Truer to say that it was a year for players who have taken longer to develop.  You can even use that to defend Hamill to some degree - but his days in that shade are pretty numbered.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Truest to say PC and his clan blew that pick and reached for a guy other NHL clubs had rated lower.  How many PC draft picks are in the NHL, Seguin anddddd????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2007 draft vs this year's draft : The old defense of Hamill that 2007 was a bum year?  I don't think it still applies.  Truer to say that it was a year for players who have taken longer to develop.  You can even use that to defend Hamill to some degree - but his days in that shade are pretty numbered. Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE] Truest to say PC and his clan blew that pick and reached for a guy other NHL clubs had rated lower.  How many PC draft picks are in the NHL, Seguin anddddd????
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]

They seem to be getting better at the draft game.
    2008 It was JOE COLBORNE WHO WILL BE THE GREATEST...
    uh, sorry, don't know what came over me...
    2009 was Caron at pick 25 looks to be a lot better than earlier picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hamill wasn't much of a reach.  At the time, I think Hamill was about 8th - might have been behind Cherepanov in general, but that was the first year of fear of the Russian transfer agreements.

As the rest of my post points out, it often takes several years for a pick to make the NHL - the first wave of kids make it right away, ready or not, and the second wave take longer.  PC drafts have only produced one guy to make it right out of the draft, but Caron is close, and Colborne will have a good shot to make the NHL with the Laffs.  That's the two #1s between Hamill and Seguin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]We'll see how Tommy Cross does in camp not a total bust just yet.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Do you know if his is staying in BC one more year or turning pro?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There's been no announcement JM I would bet Cross would make a decision at camp whether PC is going to send him to Reading or Providence. I've heard he might play for the US at the Worlds at the end of this month that would be good if he makes that team that will have some NHL players in the mix.

Hamill is an RFA this summer I could see Chiarelli signing him another year or two too see if he can get that point per game total up in the AHL. Zack's assist totals have gone up progressivly why dump him now ? Keep developing him he wasn't horrible in his call ups.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]There's been no announcement JM I would bet Cross would make a decision at camp whether PC is going to send him to Reading or Providence. I've heard he might play for the US at the Worlds at the end of this month that would be good if he makes that team that will have some NHL players in the mix. Hamill is an RFA this summer I could see Chiarelli signing him another year or two too see if he can get that point per game total up in the AHL. Zack's assist totals have gone up progressivly why dump him now ? Keep developing him he wasn't horrible in his call ups.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Yah, if you need to fill out a roster spot, might as well.
    I'm thinking if he hasn't come along yet, he never will.
    And I'm also thinking that if they dump him, he might get fired up and turn his career around.

Doesn't look to me like Cross can ever remain healthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Tommy Cross is headed back to BC for his senior year, he was just named captain also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]Hamill wasn't much of a reach.  At the time, I think Hamill was about 8th - might have been behind Cherepanov in general, but that was the first year of fear of the Russian transfer agreements. As the rest of my post points out, it often takes several years for a pick to make the NHL - the first wave of kids make it right away, ready or not, and the second wave take longer.  PC drafts have only produced one guy to make it right out of the draft, but Caron is close, and Colborne will have a good shot to make the NHL with the Laffs.  That's the two #1s between Hamill and Seguin.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

BB, most mock drafts that year had Hammill going in the teens up to about 20th.

As for timing, I completely understand that, but since PC's been picking here, we have the fewest home grown NHLers from drafting, and we've had more picks than most.  Taking time to develop NHLers is no excuse for that.

Sections
Shortcuts