2011 2012 Bruins Fighting Major Total

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

2011 2012 Bruins Fighting Major Total

I wish I could remember who started this thread last summer. I thought it was allot of fun. How many fights per player, might have been the angle.
    I remember saying that I believed the B's would average about one fight per game...I think I said 80. The comment back was that the Bruins would be a very angry team then. Didn't they end up with 72?
    I bet they end up with a number near 80 this coming year. Have fun!
    Go Bruins!

Player

Fight Total

Patrice Bergeron

Gregory Campbell  

Nathan Horton  

Chris Kelly  

David Krejci  

Milan Lucic  

Brad Marchand  

Daniel Paille  

Rich Peverley  

Benoit Pouliot  

Tyler Seguin  

Shawn Thornton  

Johnny Boychuk  

Zdeno Chara

Joe Corvo  

Andrew Ference  

Adam McQuaid  

Dennis Seidenberg  

Tuukka Rask  

Tim Thomas  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: 2011 2012 Bruins Fighting Major Total

I hope I don't miss Tyler Seguin's fight ! And is Patrice Bergeron gonna lay another licking on Josh Gorges ? Laughing

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/64060

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

When I looked at the numbers, I tried to think of the Stanley Cup and would that change anything...not fight b/c of winning and being satisfied or would the B's react to everyone coming at them and go ballistic...I think anyone on the team can and will fight, some just more than others and for different reasons. I DON'T THINK WE SEE THE "SKATING CLOWN" ACT THAT SOME HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT. I believe it will be more purposeful and more of a reaction (natural) to something that happened during the game or settling a score...
    Either way, I think the B's don't turn into a team of Lady Byng candidates.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: 2011 2012 Bruins Fighting Major Total:
    [QUOTE]When I looked at the numbers, I tried to think of the Stanley Cup and would that change anything...not fight b/c of winning and being satisfied or would the B's react to everyone coming at them and go ballistic...I think anyone on the team can and will fight, some just more than others and for different reasons. I DON'T THINK WE SEE THE "SKATING CLOWN" ACT THAT SOME HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT. I believe it will be more purposeful and more of a reaction (natural) to something that happened during the game or settling a score... Either way, I think the B's don't turn into a team of Lady Byng candidates.
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

I know Badhab hopes for the same thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

This was a popular topic last year...what, now we're the champs and no one has an opinion?
    Do the Bruins change and play like good boys, stay the same or fight even more this coming season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Player

Fight Total

Patrice Bergeron

Gregory Campbell  

Nathan Horton  

Chris Kelly  

David Krejci  

Milan Lucic  

Brad Marchand  

Daniel Paille  

Rich Peverley  

Benoit Pouliot  

Tyler Seguin  

Shawn Thornton  

Johnny Boychuk  

Zdeno Chara

Joe Corvo  

Andrew Ference  

Adam McQuaid  

Dennis Seidenberg  

Tuukka Rask  

Tim Thomas  

Im going with 67.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Chara isn't ever going to have more than 2, Thornton will have more than 11

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think Chara should lay an @ss whooping on Subban in Montreal.

I know it would never happen... Just saying...

More realistically I would like to see Chara enforce for his team mates with his size. If Chara says stop or I'll ruin you I'm pretty confident no one will stand up and say "no you won't."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Chara isn't ever going to have more than 2, Thornton will have more than 11
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

Ever ? 1997-98, 98-99 ,01-02, 02-03, 03-04, 05-06, 07-08, 08-09

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/167

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

The fights are stupid and boring and a distraction from the amazing sport of hockey.  Also there is the danger of injury i.e. broken hand, concussion.  And wasn't it a fight that caused the guy to fall hitting his head (helmet off) on the ice, killing him last year?  

Some of the fights seem staged and predictable.  The NHL thinks the fans relish them and expect them.  But there are some fans who despise the fights.  We non-fightists need to speak out for our side of the argument.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

[QUOTE]The fights are stupid and boring and a distraction from the amazing sport of hockey.  Also there is the danger of injury i.e. broken hand, concussion.  And wasn't it a fight that caused the guy to fall hitting his head (helmet off) on the ice, killing him last year?   Some of the fights seem staged and predictable.  The NHL thinks the fans relish them and expect them.  But there are some fans who despise the fights.  We non-fightists need to speak out for our side of the argument.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]
    Shut the f*** up

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Being defending Cup champs, I see an increase in fighting totals. My bet is teams will want to come in and try to knock the Bs down a peg and take liberties, as if they need to prove to themselves that they can compete with the Big Bad Bruins. When that happens, the Bs will need to defend themselves. 79 total.

Player

Fight Total

Patrice Bergeron

Gregory Campbell

Nathan Horton

Chris Kelly

David Krejci

Milan Lucic

Brad Marchand

Daniel Paille

Rich Peverley

Benoit Pouliot

Tyler Seguin

Shawn Thornton

Johnny Boychuk

Zdeno Chara

Joe Corvo

Andrew Ference

Adam McQuaid

Dennis Seidenberg

Tuukka Rask

Tim Thomas

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 2012 Bruins Fighting Major Total : Shut the f*** up
    Posted by dalexander2424[/QUOTE]
    hahahaha, exactly.....if this cat doesnt want fighting in hockey then go watch another sport pal!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think everyone is predicting a little high, and personally, I hope it is lower, more like 50.  If the team stunk and had little to play for, I would be in favor fighting more -- for entertainment, team-building, self-respect.  This team should be worried about winning another Stanley Cup, and having some key cogs on the team duking it out on multiple occasions is not smart.  

If Thornton and McQuaid want to take all comers, that's fine with me.  Anyone else should only fight when it makes sense for the team (sticking up for eachother, useful intimidation, protecting Thomas).  I would only want Lucic, Chara, Horton, Ference, etc. to fight when absolutely necessary, and never against goons.  Those guys are too important.

Hope Bergeron, Seguin, and Thomas never fight again.  Corvo has never been in an NHL fight -- why expect 2 of him next season?

For the most part, let the fighters fight and have the rest of the guys worry about winning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 2012 Bruins Fighting Major Total : Shut the f*** up
    Posted by dalexander2424[/QUOTE]

Wow, such a skillfull and cogent argument.  Such intellectual alacrity.  I haven't heard anything so compelling since Jr Highschool.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 2012 Bruins Fighting Major Total : hahahaha, exactly.....if this cat doesnt want fighting in hockey then go watch another sport pal!
    Posted by yep123[/QUOTE]

I love hockey but don't like the fighting.  Is that all right with you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Don't quite understand why people are lashing out at the Clam Man here, just for the opinion that he doesn't like fighting.

Some people like fighting in hockey, some don't.  We all love the sport.

Personally, I prefer hockey with fighting in it, when it happens as a result of emotion and competition.  I don't like fighting for the sake of fighting.  Staged bouts are stupid and do nothing for the sport.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

"We non-fightists need to speak out for our side of the argument."

Thats fine and dandy, but dont try telling hockey fans that.  Fighting is part of the game, and for the sake of the game, they should NEVER remove it.  It would be too dangerous for star players if fighting were eliminated.  The league knows this without saying it, its why its allowed.  In no other sport is fighting allowed (unless its a combat sport).  Dont get all bent out of shape when hockey purists who understand and enjoy the fights get bent out of shape by guys saying stuff like you said.  Maybe there are some fans who dont enjoy the fights, but the fights get the fans worked up as much as, and possibly more than a goal.  When there is a fight, EVERYONE is standing, cheering, screaming and generally going crazy and it can and does change momentum.  Its a great part of the game and for those of us who understand it and appreciate it, we get a little sick of people attacking it.  If you dont like it, dont watch.  Its pretty simple.  I dont like womens golf but you know what, if they fought it out in a cage Id enjoy it.  Or maybe if they had to wear bikinis Id watch.  Am I going to voice my displeasure with the lack of fighting & bikinis?  NO!  You know why?  Because I dont try to push my views down other peoples throats like a special interest group.  You dont like something, move along.  Pretty simple concept. 

Im not sure who said it previously now, but I think teams will be coming at the Bruins hard this year.  They are the reigning champs and teams will be coming at them to prove something.  Happens every year.  Look at all the tougher guys the Blackhaws signed.  Its obvious that a team who can play physical and arent intimidated by other teams can win the Cup.  Its almost not even arguable that the Bruins were by far the nastiest, toughest overall team this year.  Not with goons putting on staged fights for nothing every night, those fights almost never matter.  However, when you look at all the genuinely tough guys on the Bruins, no other team can match that.  And thats a big reason that the Bruins beat teams that they werent supposed to.  Those teams couldnt steam-roll them because they wouldnt allow it.  Teams that were supposedly faster, deeper, better.  When you can match not only speed, scoring, defense, heart and toughness, there arent many teams that can beat you.  I think a number of teams will be coming after the Bruins this year, and there will be some nights where it gets out of control, like that Habs game.

I totally agree that I dont want to see Lucic and Horton fighting if they dont have to, but I think those guys have too much hear to not fight.  Neely was an amazingly well rounded scorer/tough guy, and Lucic & Horton are the same.  They have a TON of heart and character, and they wont allow crap to slide.  I dont mind that at all.  I dont want anyone to be a pushover and back down.  And when guys like Ference will go after anyone because he doenst like what someone did to his teammate, that makes guys like Krejci feel a little more at ease out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, yeah, yeah, all fair points.  And I like hockey with fighting too.  But removing fighting does not ruin the game.  There are plenty of games without any fights that are great.  During the 7-game Stanley Cup, how many fights were there?  One?

You like Olympic hockey?

You like College hockey?

Fighting is one component of the game, not the lifeblood of the sport.  At times that component is great; other times it is silly and ridiculous.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Actually, I like the CLEAN games that MATTER in which there is no dirty crap on either side.  BUT, those games are VERY few and far between.

I do enjoy Olympic hockey, because its a short series of games that are usually played very clean and respectable.  The lack of fights is a non-issue because youre only seeing a few games and the teams REALLY want to play.

College hockey SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I absolutely hate it, and I played it.  Too much testosterone trying to prove something without actually being able to drop the gloves.  There are about 20 other "sports" Id watch before college hockey, unless its a Championship game which has meaning and the dirty crap is checked at the door.

An 82 game season is FAR too long to not build animosity and history between teams, players, coaches, etc., and then add in playoffs.  The Bruins played the Habs 13 times this season.  Thats a little much to not form hatred and grudges, let along carry-overs from previous seasons, leagues, colleges, etc.  These guys have been seeing each other for a LONG time.  If they played once or twice a year, like they do teams in the west, you wouldnt see the shenanigans like you do.  And as a hockey player, you DONT forget crap in the past.  It might take you years to get your shot in on someone who wronged you (Campbell this year), but when opportunity arises, youll take advantage of it.  Hockey players are TOUGH guys.  They dont back down or forget.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Bigvig, I think different people have very different perspectives on this, which was really my point about Clam Man in the first place.  Your post above reads a bit like a lecture from an unquestioned authority about how hockey works, and I should remind you that many of us played competitive hockey, including college hockey (eg. me).

You say "Hockey players are TOUGH guys.  They dont back down or forget."  Ha -- not true.  Some are tough, some are not.  I have seen guys 'back down' at every level I ever played, and it happens in the NHL all the time.

I agree with some of what you say and totally disagree with some.  When I played hockey I worried an awful lot about winning, and a whole lot less about grudges and settling personal scores against players who had wronged me.  My coach termed that type of behavior as selfish, in that settling a personal score on the ice was done for YOU, not the TEAM.  So what if you caught a dirty elbow in the corner?  It happens, shake it off, and do what is best for the team (I know every player has violated this before and seeks retribution from time to time, so did I).

I love college hockey.  I do wish they would take off the full cages and shields, but otherwise, I think they have a very good balance of competition and sportsmanship.

I like fighting too.  I've always thought it can be a part of the game.  I enjoy watching most of the fights.  But hockey isn't ruined without it either.  It's just another component of the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

[QUOTE]"We non-fightists need to speak out for our side of the argument." Thats fine and dandy, but dont try telling hockey fans that.  Fighting is part of the game, and for the sake of the game, they should NEVER remove it.  It would be too dangerous for star players if fighting were eliminated.  The league knows this without saying it, its why its allowed.  In no other sport is fighting allowed (unless its a combat sport).  Dont get all bent out of shape when hockey purists who understand and enjoy the fights get bent out of shape by guys saying stuff like you said.  Maybe there are some fans who dont enjoy the fights, but the fights get the fans worked up as much as, and possibly more than a goal.  When there is a fight, EVERYONE is standing, cheering, screaming and generally going crazy and it can and does change momentum.  Its a great part of the game and for those of us who understand it and appreciate it, we get a little sick of people attacking it.  If you dont like it, dont watch.  Its pretty simple.  I dont like womens golf but you know what, if they fought it out in a cage Id enjoy it.  Or maybe if they had to wear bikinis Id watch.  Am I going to voice my displeasure with the lack of fighting & bikinis?  NO!  You know why?  Because I dont try to push my views down other peoples throats like a special interest group.  You dont like something, move along.  Pretty simple concept.  Im not sure who said it previously now, but I think teams will be coming at the Bruins hard this year.  They are the reigning champs and teams will be coming at them to prove something.  Happens every year.  Look at all the tougher guys the Blackhaws signed.  Its obvious that a team who can play physical and arent intimidated by other teams can win the Cup.  Its almost not even arguable that the Bruins were by far the nastiest, toughest overall team this year.  Not with goons putting on staged fights for nothing every night, those fights almost never matter.  However, when you look at all the genuinely tough guys on the Bruins, no other team can match that.  And thats a big reason that the Bruins beat teams that they werent supposed to.  Those teams couldnt steam-roll them because they wouldnt allow it.  Teams that were supposedly faster, deeper, better.  When you can match not only speed, scoring, defense, heart and toughness, there arent many teams that can beat you.  I think a number of teams will be coming after the Bruins this year, and there will be some nights where it gets out of control, like that Habs game. I totally agree that I dont want to see Lucic and Horton fighting if they dont have to, but I think those guys have too much hear to not fight.  Neely was an amazingly well rounded scorer/tough guy, and Lucic & Horton are the same.  They have a TON of heart and character, and they wont allow crap to slide.  I dont mind that at all.  I dont want anyone to be a pushover and back down.  And when guys like Ference will go after anyone because he doenst like what someone did to his teammate, that makes guys like Krejci feel a little more at ease out there.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

bigvig,  For sure hockey fans don't like non-fans calling the sport "vicious and brutal"  or as you write,  "pushing their views down other people's throats like a special interest group".   But that's not what I'm talking about.  I only expressed my dislike for the fighting, and as a longtime hockey fan and Bruins fan, I think I have that right to dislike that aspect of it.  Without being told to "move along" to some other sport.   

I haven't been to an NHL game in a long time, but we have ECHL here and it's the same thing with the fans going nuts when a fight starts.  To me, the fighting is stupid and boring.  

I understand your argument that when the line is crossed there has to be retribution in order to protect the stars, who often are non-fighters or lesser-fighters like Krejci.  But this could be accomplished as well or better by more stringent officiating.  Boarding, elbowing, cross checking, head shots, blindside hits, and the like are being cracked down on and let's hope the trend continues.

The most objectionable are the staged or expected fights, like goon #1 vs goon #2.  Everyone knows it's coming and pretty much how it will go.  Yawn, take a snack break.  

Reading these forums, I notice that most all the comments are pro-fighting, and a lot of energy is put out to advocate pulverizing, maiming, pounding into the ice, smearing their bloody brains, and otherwise dominating all foes.  OK, I get it that most hockey fans are that way.  So, as a perhaps tiny minority,  I am just trying to say that there are some of us who are avid hockey fans but dislike the fighting. 

Hopefully I have the right to express that without being told to "shut the f. up" etc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the b's will be challenged for sure.

Sections
Shortcuts