2011 Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PheltSaucier. Show PheltSaucier's posts

2011 Draft

Is there any chance the Bruins can trade their 1st and either a prospect/player to Ottawa for the 2nd pick overall? I'd love to see them get Larsson.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: 2011 Draft

Ottawa being in the rebuild mode wont do it im sure. It would take alot to pry it from them as it would edmonton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

OTT seems to be stockpiling picks to build for the future.  Rumblings on ESPN.com also hint they may not chase any big names in the offseason FA market(they have plenty of cap space).

That #2 pick is just what they want/need right now so i'd be shocked if they move that pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to 2011 Draft:
    Is there any chance the Bruins can trade their 1st and either a prospect/player to Ottawa for the 2nd pick overall? I'd love to see them get Larsson.
    Posted by PheltSaucier

Doubt it.  Sens are stock piling picks for a reason.  They're in complete re-build mode. 
    Forget Florida also. Tallon has gutted the team for the sole purpose of tanking so they get a top 3-4 pick.
    Oilers, not a chance also. Tambellini proved last draft how he treasures high 1st round picks. He also wanted the Bruins pick .  If he approaches PC it'll be for the Leafs pick and would want to give Hemsky in return, "wiseguy".
    Maybe only Garth Snow would be tempted but it'll have to be more like the Leafs pick and a prospect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I just hold out hope for 7th or better really, I'd be pumped if we got strome or hubredeau with the leafs pick this year, and hamilton would be great too.  The last guy in that grouping is murphy, much more of a home run pick who will take time to develop. 

There's been so much talk about how this year's draft is all about the first 4 guys (g lan, larson, rnh, couturier), but the 4 guys mentioned above are that second tier.  Hubredeau has had an impressive year with 37 goals and 90+ plus points, as has strome although with more assists and in a tougher OHL league.  These guys are all blue chip prospects too.

Who are you guys hoping for (obviously, aside from larson, who will go 1st or 2nd)?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

It would be nice for the B's but not for the Sens unless the player were Krejci or Bergeron which I do not see happening....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PheltSaucier. Show PheltSaucier's posts

Thought so.

Too bad the Leafs really picked it up this year, that Larsson kid really could have helped us out.

Thanks for the replies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There's nothing for me to believe that there won't be any GMs picking ahead of Chiarelli wouldn't want the Bruins TO 1st rounder, Wild's 2nd rounder and a prospect to move down. Chiarelli saw, through his scouts, that he could get Knight and Spooner later so that helped PC trade his own #1 last year to Florida as part of Horton trade.

Accumulation of PCs picks will allow him to not watch the "Toronto record tracker" and approach GMs ahead of him with a possible deal to move up if he so chooses.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

You don't trade for Kaberle and then go after Larsson. 
    That is the player I would draft if I was GM and had the choice, but I can't see them trying to move up to get him after the trade. They paid what could be a big price for Kabbie, so it wouldn't make sense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think Hamilton or Murphy will be NHL ready next year or the year after. I also don't think Kaberle will get more than 4 years add that Ference won't be in Boston in two years it makes perfect sense to move up and get studs like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft:
    I don't think Hamilton or Murphy will be NHL ready next year or the year after. I also don't think Kaberle will get more than 4 years add that Ference won't be in Boston in two years it makes perfect sense to move up and get studs like that.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I think you give Hamilton and Murphy time to develop their games like Nashville has done with Ryan Ellis. Agreed !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Might just be smart to check out all of the prospects tha PC has been piling up, and realize that in the draft, very few, particularly Defensemen, can step right in. The current b's, as you know , are Chara, Kaberle, Seidenberg,Boychuck, Ference,McQuaid,  Kamfer, and Hnidy. After watching Bartkowski, under Claude's constraints, a rookie may not even get a sniff on defense. Up front we can hopefully replace REX [ he NEEDS to retire],Ryder [maybe] his lack of commitment really bothers me, Thornton [ we really do not need a one-dimensional player] and Paille [ hold off for a while]. That's it. In house Arneil,Caron, and Maybe Sauve are ready for a long look. So, not many openings, and none that need an immediate infusion beyond in-house., unless McNight and Spooner steal a spot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

How long do the Panthers retain Gudbranson's rights? Could he go back in the draft ala Nick Boynton? If so, would a trade of the Leafs #1 for Gudbranson's rights be a possibility?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two years, matty.  Technically, it's one year to make a good faith attempt to sign him, which would trigger a second year of exclusive neg. rights.  I can't think of a situation other than the Bruins w/ Kevyn Adams where a team was charged with not bargaining in good faith.

If the Bruins drafted Larsson, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they left him in Sweden for a year before bringing him over. Maybe two years....  The presence of Kaberle shouldn't really make a difference because you can't expect even the best rookie D to step in on a playoff team and play Kaberle's minutes and role.  Fowler's been surprisingly productive in Anaheim, but he's also -23 on the same team as Toni Lydman who's +25 (no other Duck is worse than -11), and the Ducks may not make the playoffs despite their big name forwards.  Hedman's doing well in Tampa Bay, but he's far from the kind of impact player Kaberle's supposed to be.  He'll get there, but he ain't there.

Murphy's intriguing, and I'd agree with the home run swing comparison.  You get him, be patient with him, and hope that he brings the same offensive verve up the ladder as he adapts to bigger, stronger, faster players (that's his challenge, really - he's a buck sixty).  You get him knowing Claude's not likely to be here when he's ready to contribute - that's just the odds.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Two years, matty.  Technically, it's one year to make a good faith attempt to sign him, which would trigger a second year of exclusive neg. rights.  I can't think of a situation other than the Bruins w/ Kevyn Adams where a team was charged with not bargaining in good faith. If the Bruins drafted Larsson, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they left him in Sweden for a year before bringing him over.Maybe two years....  The presence of Kaberle shouldn't really make a difference because you can't expect even the best rookie D to step in on a playoff team and play Kaberle's minutes and role.  Fowler's been surprisingly productive in Anaheim, but he's also -23 on the same team as Toni Lydman who's +25 (no other Duck is worse than -11), and the Ducks may not make the playoffs despite their big name forwards.  Hedman's doing well in Tampa Bay, but he's far from the kind of impact player Kaberle's supposed to be.  He'll get there, but he ain't there. Murphy's intriguing, and I'd agree with the home run swing comparison.  You get him, be patient with him, and hope that he brings the same offensive verve up the ladder as he adapts to bigger, stronger, faster players (that's his challenge, really - he's a buck sixty).  You get him knowing Claude's not likely to be here when he's ready to contribute - that's just the odds.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Great example of what you are saying is Victor Hedman of the Lightning.
    He hasn't yet be able to play to his full potential.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Great example of what you are saying is Victor Hedman of the Lightning. He hasn't yet be able to play to his full potential.
    Posted by BsLegion

Got to agree with this comparison. Hedman has been very average at best despite where he went in the draft. Fast-tracking rarely works, especially for defencemen....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PheltSaucier. Show PheltSaucier's posts

Actually, Bogie brings up another point about Thornton - do we use a pick in the later rounds to pick up a bruiser/enforcer? Do we even have someone in the system who can take up the gloves once Thornton moves on (probably another year or two)?

I think a D-man rookie can do well in Julien's system -- moreso than a forward -- it is a defensive system. Kampfer, Boychuk, McQuaid, et al really did well given their circumstances. Though, Hunwick failed his 2nd season, he still did well his first time up. Sure, Larsson may need another year or two, but isn't that why we have Kaberle?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This team doesn't need a bruiser/enforcer. With Lucic, Horton, Chara, Campbell, McQuaid, Ference,, they can all take care of themselves. Also, have you ever noticed that noone wants to push Bergeron too far?? This team is tough, most can take care of themselves. We really do not need a fight time limited skill player

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Phelt - all the D you mention didn't play in the NHL the year after they were drafted.  Boychuk was drafted in 2002, McQuaid 2005, and Kampfer 2007, so that's a lot of years developing outside the NHL.  Heck, if Hamilton or Murphy took a Boychuk timeline, Chara would be retired by the time they made the roster.  So yeah, that's why they have Kaberle and everyone else.

As for an enforcer, I give you Lane McDermid.  At 6'3" and 205, he's not a superheavyweight, but he isn't a bad energy player and he can fight.  Tyler Randell in Kitchener is another guy in line - he has 20 goals this year and had a 24 in 08-09 (his draft year).  Both were drafted in 2009. 

I think if you're looking to draft a thug, it better be a thug who can play - otherwise why waste a draft pick?  Interesting to think of this in the same context as D, though - I wonder if "enforcer who can play" doesn't take just as much time as D to learn at the NHL level.  Lots of guys who can just fight like drunken hobos, but not as many who know how to contribute when not fighting , without taking stupid penalties, and who have the instinct and judgement to know when they can let slip the dogs of war.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

D Murphy would be ready, but that is not the B's way, he will have to play lights out to make the team, he would end up with another year in junior, where he does not need the time. At mid term was listed as 10th in NA skaters, does not include European skaters nor any goalies.  I just hope we have him available whenever our pick is called out.

LW Puempel is one of my fav's and hopefully we can get him with our 2nd pick. He is listed 29th in NA skaters.

Strome was 19th at mid term NA skaters and yet he is 2nd in scoring in the OHL with 59Games 30G 68A 98Pts 76Pims and he leads all draftee available players in points, could be a possible nice steal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

GOAT, Puempel was on my radar earlier in the year as well. He is now 33rd in OHL scoring was this a direct result of Spooner going to Kitchner ? I mean Matt was in the top ten in scoring earlier this season. I like his size and if he stays where he is PC needs to take him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

If the Bs get Murphy or Hamilton, I'll be happy. From what I've read, they're both projected to be top line D men. I like Hamilton but both him and Murphy have been climbing up the lists. Hope the other teams go for forwards. Just need Toronto to implode.....still waiting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I don't see this as a weaker draft, anytime you can pickup a decent player in top 50-60, how can that be a bad draft.  Anything after that is just a crapshoot anyway.

Yes San,I was watching Puemp last year and he has put up slightly better numbers this year on a far worse team, 10 wins less and 50 goals less for team this year.
    Puemp  59gm 33g 31a 64pt last year
               54     34   35   69 this year,
    Watson is 2nd in scoring and he went 18th last yr. Spooner was 3rd in scoring last year and behind Puemp and went 45th.
    Spooner left early this year with 10g in 14games and since only has 24g in 44 games,his move may have effected both.

If Murphy is not available right now at #9, neither will Puemp be at 44 where our next pick might be, so maybe we can grab him early.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

If the Bs get Murphy or Hamilton, I'll be happy. From what I've read, they're both projected to be top line D men. I like Hamilton but both him and Murphy have been climbing up the lists. Hope the other teams go for forwards. Just need Toronto to implode.....still waiting.
    Posted by nrguy

Holding that pick and waiting, watching, and hoping for TOR to implode has made the stretch run even more exciting! I still think that pick will be in the top 5!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Draft : Holding that pick and waiting, watching, and hoping for TOR to implode has made the stretch run even more exciting! I still think that pick will be in the top 5!!!
    Posted by stingerjp

There is no way that pick will be top 5.  I wish it would be though.

Edmonton, Ottawa, Colorado, Florida, Islanders will be top 5 for sure.  Atlanta and St. Louis will likely finish behind TO as well. Right now I'm just hoping they don't move up any more than they have.

Sections
Shortcuts