2012-13 Surprises

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

2012-13 Surprises

Every NHL season brings lots of things that no one saw coming. Things rarely play out as expected. What do you think might happen that will surprise everyone? Either with the Bruins or the league in general.

I think Spooner might make the Bruins out of camp.

I think Tampa Bay and Carolina push Washington and Florida out of the playoffs.

I think the Rangers finish down in offence, defence and total points in the standings from one year ago, and possibly fire their coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: 2012-13 Surprises

In Response to 2012-13 Surprises:
    [QUOTE]Every NHL season brings lots of things that no one saw coming. Things rarely play out as expected. What do you think might happen that will surprise everyone? Either with the Bruins or the league in general. I think Spooner might make the Bruins out of camp. I think Tampa Bay and Carolina push Washington and Florida out of the playoffs. I think the Rangers finish down in offence, defence and total points in the standings from one year ago, and possibly fire their coach.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I think Semin in a one year money year goes back to 40 goals. Shocked he got 7 million.  Owners better tell Bettman to sign on the dotted line with NHLPA...Semin is my player who goes crazy this year.  I think both Carolina and TBay have major holes on the back end. I think Florida drops.  I think Washington only gets better...The Caps have a new coach who is gonna play the heck outta the stars...they finally added a good 2nd line center and have a lot of young talent starting ti make a mark.  Carlson/Alzner are a very nice combo.  Orlov will improve and with some health to Backstrom and Green along with their young goalie combo will be a good team.TBay will be better...Carolina will be better...so will Washington in my eyes.  The East will be a race for sure again this year...I don't see Tampa climbing over anyone other then Florida...

Surprise Team- Calgary
    Surprise Player- Semin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I believe the Bruins will find a Power Play, somewhere, somehow , which will propel them to a Stanley Cup victory !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainsy1. Show rainsy1's posts

I think it's to early for this subject. Still lot's of wild cards out there- Ryan ,Lou,Doan . I believe that if these guys move they all end up in the east 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

ya dont like the label surprises how about perdictions.

My predictions:
    kessel top 10 in pts

rask gaa is above 2.3, since everyone thinks he is the next coming of jesus

seguin has best +/- in the league

crosby doesnt play more than 50 games

Florida makes the playoffs again

nashville doesnt make the playoffs neither does det...

Nothing extremely bold but i bet almost all of these events occur.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises:
    [QUOTE]ya dont like the label surprises how about perdictions. My predictions: kessel top 10 in pts rask gaa is above 2.3, since everyone thinks he is the next coming of jesus seguin has best +/- in the league crosby doesnt play more than 50 games Florida makes the playoffs again nashville doesnt make the playoffs neither does det... Nothing extremely bold but i bet almost all of these events occur.
    Posted by heyoo[/QUOTE]

ahhhh there you are

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]ya dont like the label surprises how about perdictions. My predictions: kessel top 10 in pts rask gaa is above 2.3, since everyone thinks he is the next coming of jesus seguin has best +/- in the league crosby doesnt play more than 50 games Florida makes the playoffs again nashville doesnt make the playoffs neither does det... Nothing extremely bold but i bet almost all of these events occur.
    Posted by heyoo[/QUOTE]

Of course! After all, he is an elite player (rolling my eyes).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

1) Sid gets suspended by Shannahan
    2) Spooner makes the team and produces on the 3rd line
    3) Bs get Iginla at the trading deadline
    4) Minnesota misses the playoffs
    5) Carolina wins the South handily
    6) Hamil sticks with the Capitals
    7) Marchand scores 30, Seguin 40

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to 2012-13 Surprises:
    [QUOTE]Every NHL season brings lots of things that no one saw coming. Things rarely play out as expected. What do you think might happen that will surprise everyone? Either with the Bruins or the league in general. I think Spooner might make the Bruins out of camp. I think Tampa Bay and Carolina push Washington and Florida out of the playoffs. I think the Rangers finish down in offence, defence and total points in the standings from one year ago, and possibly fire their coach.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Great topic Oates. I agree, every year a team does better than expected and a team fails to live up to expectations. It seems to me the team that always tends to fail is the team that makes the biggest splashes in the off-season. Look at the Marlins. I can't see the Wild fallin on their face though.

Heres a few of my suprises.

1. San Jose struggles/Joe Thornton traded to contender.
    2. Anders Lindback has a terrific year.
    3. Ovechkin notches 60+

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]1) Sid gets suspended by Shannahan 2) Spooner makes the team and produces on the 3rd line 3) Bs get Iginla at the trading deadline 4) Minnesota misses the playoffs 5) Carolina wins the South handily 6) Hamil sticks with the Capitals 7) Marchand scores 30, Seguin 40
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    NRG, I can't see Spooner making it straight out of camp mainly due to the overabundance of centers in Boston already. Aside from that, I'll ride your coat tails on the rest of the predictions. They all look good to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Can't really call them surprises if you predict them, but you can talk about things where there are reasons to expect one outcome (Rangers are better with Nash) but reality thwarts that expectation (Rangers miss the playoffs with Nash).  There also probably needs to be some thinking about why the surprise could happen - otherwise you might write "Lindsay Lohan wins Art Ross Trophy" because hey, that would be a surprise.

Here are five things that I think would be surprises if they did happen:

Columbus makes the playoffs.  The BJs were much better under Richards than Arniel at the end of last year - still horrible, but they got better results (11-25-5 under Arniel and 18-21-2 under Richards).  They have a new emphasis on physical players with decent skill (Foligno, Dubinsky, Umberger) in their top six forwards, plus they have a full year of Jack Johnson, Wizniewski, and maybe Ryan Murray - that's a significant talent upgrade on the back end.  Big "if" is in goal - if Mason regains his Calder form or if WhatAboutBobrowsky plays up to his best games in Philly, they could surprise.  Phoenix is the team that would likely fall out of the top 8.  Maybe SJ.

Minnesota trades Dany Heatley and Mikko Koivu.  After huge investments in big ticket FAs, Minnesota moves money around to address the huge talent gap between Suter and the rest of their blueline.  If they try to open up to take advantage of the skills of Parise, Heatley and Koivu, that terrible D will get exposed and Backstrom will get hung.  I think they try, fail, and start looking at what's wrong.  Brodin and Dumba are top notch prospects, but I doubt they help Minnesota this year, and even if they do, the Wild need more than a couple of D upgrades.  These moves, likely made closer to the deadline, either give the Wild a D upgrade directly or the flexibility to pursue D in other deals.

Leafs renew Brian Burke for 5 years.  Admit it.  You'd be surprised.  But Burke is a big talker who can spin where they are now as the result of clearing the legacy of mismanagement - and that they simply need a goalie.  He is great at maintaining the appearance of importance, which placates the Leaf media-base.  And turnover hasn't kept the Laffs from floundering.

Nail Yakupov leads the league in scoring (the Ontario Hockey League, that is).  Unlike the last few years, the Oil actually have the talented warm bodies to fill most of the top six forward spots (RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Smyth or Jones).  They also need to show progress.  They may choose not to keep their latest #1 overall on the roster unless he blows the doors off one of those other players.

Jonathan Toews wins the Hart Trophy.  Everyone agrees Captain Serious is a great player, but he doesn't get mentioned as a Hart candidate very often because his numbers usually put him in a hole relative to the top scorers in the game - he's a point/game scorer who gets roughly equal numbers of goals and assists. Hart winners are usually about 25% above that level, or they get gaudy goal numbers (50+ for sure).  Last year, though, Toews was unconscious for about a month before injuries derailed him.  He ended up just under the point/game mark (on pace for 40 goals) with an almost 60% faceoff winning percentage.  His shooting % was almost 16%, and his 85:25 takeaway vs. giveaway ratio is better than the NHL's best thief (Datsyuk was 97:40).  He has a long history of playing big in big moments, and if Chicago wins the Central despite another down year from Kane, Keith, and Crawford, it will seem as though it was Toews was the most valuable player in the league.  (I look at Toews and see what Bergeron would have been if he hadn't had a catastrophic concussion).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Can't really call them surprises if you predict them, but you can talk about things where there are reasons to expect one outcome (Rangers are better with Nash) but reality thwarts that expectation (Rangers miss the playoffs with Nash).  There also probably needs to be some thinking about why the surprise could happen - otherwise you might write "Lindsay Lohan wins Art Ross Trophy" because hey, that would be a surprise. Here are five things that I think would be surprises if they did happen: Columbus makes the playoffs .  The BJs were much better under Richards than Arniel at the end of last year - still horrible, but they got better results (11-25-5 under Arniel and 18-21-2 under Richards).  They have a new emphasis on physical players with decent skill (Foligno, Dubinsky, Umberger) in their top six forwards, plus they have a full year of Jack Johnson, Wizniewski, and maybe Ryan Murray - that's a significant talent upgrade on the back end.  Big "if" is in goal - if Mason regains his Calder form or if WhatAboutBobrowsky plays up to his best games in Philly, they could surprise.  Phoenix is the team that would likely fall out of the top 8.  Maybe SJ. Minnesota trades Dany Heatley and Mikko Koivu .  After huge investments in big ticket FAs, Minnesota moves money around to address the huge talent gap between Suter and the rest of their blueline.  If they try to open up to take advantage of the skills of Parise, Heatley and Koivu, that terrible D will get exposed and Backstrom will get hung.  I think they try, fail, and start looking at what's wrong.  Brodin and Dumba are top notch prospects, but I doubt they help Minnesota this year, and even if they do, the Wild need more than a couple of D upgrades.  These moves, likely made closer to the deadline, either give the Wild a D upgrade directly or the flexibility to pursue D in other deals. Leafs renew Brian Burke for 5 years .  Admit it.  You'd be surprised.  But Burke is a big talker who can spin where they are now as the result of clearing the legacy of mismanagement - and that they simply need a goalie.  He is great at maintaining the appearance of importance, which placates the Leaf media-base.  And turnover hasn't kept the Laffs from floundering. Nail Yakupov leads the league in scoring (the Ontario Hockey League, that is) .  Unlike the last few years, the Oil actually have the talented warm bodies to fill most of the top six forward spots (RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Smyth or Jones).  They also need to show progress.  They may choose not to keep their latest #1 overall on the roster unless he blows the doors off one of those other players. Jonathan Toews wins the Hart Trophy .  Everyone agrees Captain Serious is a great player, but he doesn't get mentioned as a Hart candidate very often because his numbers usually put him in a hole relative to the top scorers in the game - he's a point/game scorer who gets roughly equal numbers of goals and assists. Hart winners are usually about 25% above that level, or they get gaudy goal numbers (50+ for sure).  Last year, though, Toews was unconscious for about a month before injuries derailed him.  He ended up just under the point/game mark (on pace for 40 goals) with an almost 60% faceoff winning percentage.  His shooting % was almost 16%, and his 85:25 takeaway vs. giveaway ratio is better than the NHL's best thief (Datsyuk was 97:40).  He has a long history of playing big in big moments, and if Chicago wins the Central despite another down year from Kane, Keith, and Crawford, it will seem as though it was Toews was the most valuable player in the league.  (I look at Toews and see what Bergeron would have been if he hadn't had a catastrophic concussion).
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Great post BB. I could see lots of that happening.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A big suprise to me would be if Rick Nash doesn't score at least 35 goals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]A big suprise to me would be if Rick Nash doesn't score at least 35 goals.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Is that an acceptable amount of goals for 7.8 million? That's an honest question.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by heyoo[/QUOTE]

Coming from you ? What a surprise ! And I'm "betting" you'll have more wrong then right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Great points about the Caps. For some reason I always forget about the Carlson/Alzner duo, even though they were amazing shutting down Lucic-Krejci-Seguin. And while they will miss Semin, you're right, adding a second-line center is a great move. I would rather have a good second line center than winger to carry that line. They lost Wideman and his 24minutes a game, 46 points (and yes, I do think that is a loss) but they could actually be better. It really depends on coaching for that team. And a healthy, productive Green.

[QUOTE]In Response to 2012-13 Surprises : I think Semin in a one year money year goes back to 40 goals. Shocked he got 7 million.  Owners better tell Bettman to sign on the dotted line with NHLPA...Semin is my player who goes crazy this year.  I think both Carolina and TBay have major holes on the back end. I think Florida drops.  I think Washington only gets better...The Caps have a new coach who is gonna play the heck outta the stars...they finally added a good 2nd line center and have a lot of young talent starting ti make a mark.  Carlson/Alzner are a very nice combo.  Orlov will improve and with some health to Backstrom and Green along with their young goalie combo will be a good team.TBay will be better...Carolina will be better...so will Washington in my eyes.  The East will be a race for sure again this year...I don't see Tampa climbing over anyone other then Florida... Surprise Team- Calgary Surprise Player- Semin
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

1. Khudobin is the #1 by Christmas.

2. Max Sauve makes the team out of camp.

3. Zach Hamill scores 30+ points with the Caps this season.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Can't really call them surprises if you predict them, but you can talk about things where there are reasons to expect one outcome (Rangers are better with Nash) but reality thwarts that expectation (Rangers miss the playoffs with Nash).  There also probably needs to be some thinking about why the surprise could happen - otherwise you might write "Lindsay Lohan wins Art Ross Trophy" because hey, that would be a surprise. Here are five things that I think would be surprises if they did happen: Columbus makes the playoffs .  The BJs were much better under Richards than Arniel at the end of last year - still horrible, but they got better results (11-25-5 under Arniel and 18-21-2 under Richards).  They have a new emphasis on physical players with decent skill (Foligno, Dubinsky, Umberger) in their top six forwards, plus they have a full year of Jack Johnson, Wizniewski, and maybe Ryan Murray - that's a significant talent upgrade on the back end.  Big "if" is in goal - if Mason regains his Calder form or if WhatAboutBobrowsky plays up to his best games in Philly, they could surprise.  Phoenix is the team that would likely fall out of the top 8.  Maybe SJ. Minnesota trades Dany Heatley and Mikko Koivu .  After huge investments in big ticket FAs, Minnesota moves money around to address the huge talent gap between Suter and the rest of their blueline.  If they try to open up to take advantage of the skills of Parise, Heatley and Koivu, that terrible D will get exposed and Backstrom will get hung.  I think they try, fail, and start looking at what's wrong.  Brodin and Dumba are top notch prospects, but I doubt they help Minnesota this year, and even if they do, the Wild need more than a couple of D upgrades.  These moves, likely made closer to the deadline, either give the Wild a D upgrade directly or the flexibility to pursue D in other deals. Leafs renew Brian Burke for 5 years .  Admit it.  You'd be surprised.  But Burke is a big talker who can spin where they are now as the result of clearing the legacy of mismanagement - and that they simply need a goalie.  He is great at maintaining the appearance of importance, which placates the Leaf media-base.  And turnover hasn't kept the Laffs from floundering. Nail Yakupov leads the league in scoring (the Ontario Hockey League, that is) .  Unlike the last few years, the Oil actually have the talented warm bodies to fill most of the top six forward spots (RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Smyth or Jones).  They also need to show progress.  They may choose not to keep their latest #1 overall on the roster unless he blows the doors off one of those other players. Jonathan Toews wins the Hart Trophy .  Everyone agrees Captain Serious is a great player, but he doesn't get mentioned as a Hart candidate very often because his numbers usually put him in a hole relative to the top scorers in the game - he's a point/game scorer who gets roughly equal numbers of goals and assists. Hart winners are usually about 25% above that level, or they get gaudy goal numbers (50+ for sure).  Last year, though, Toews was unconscious for about a month before injuries derailed him.  He ended up just under the point/game mark (on pace for 40 goals) with an almost 60% faceoff winning percentage.  His shooting % was almost 16%, and his 85:25 takeaway vs. giveaway ratio is better than the NHL's best thief (Datsyuk was 97:40).  He has a long history of playing big in big moments, and if Chicago wins the Central despite another down year from Kane, Keith, and Crawford, it will seem as though it was Toews was the most valuable player in the league.  (I look at Toews and see what Bergeron would have been if he hadn't had a catastrophic concussion).
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Ain't that the truth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

That San Jose/Thornton scenario is a doozy... and it really could happen.

[QUOTE]In Response to 2012-13 Surprises : Great topic Oates. I agree, every year a team does better than expected and a team fails to live up to expectations. It seems to me the team that always tends to fail is the team that makes the biggest splashes in the off-season. Look at the Marlins. I can't see the Wild fallin on their face though. Heres a few of my suprises. 1. San Jose struggles/Joe Thornton traded to contender. 2. Anders Lindback has a terrific year. 3. Ovechkin notches 60+
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

[QUOTE]1. Khudobin is the #1 by Christmas. 2. Max Sauve makes the team out of camp. 3. Zach Hamill scores 30+ points with the Caps this season.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]

so this has to be stanley right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises : Is that an acceptable amount of goals for 7.8 million? That's an honest question.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I can understand that point of view.  It's been thrown around quite a bit by the Nash detractors.  I don't have an answer for the question because I look at it differently.

The Rangers have plenty of cap space and plenty of money.  Knowing that to be true, why does it matter how much Nash makes per year?  They had room for him on the team, under the cap and in the wallet.  They made a move and are now a better team.

Unlike the B's, the Rangers don't have a $4M fourth line and a $5M second pairing on D. 

They're paying $7.8M for a top line all star talent to light it up on Broadway and to keep them in the news.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises : I can understand that point of view.  It's been thrown around quite a bit by the Nash detractors.  I don't have an answer for the question because I look at it differently. The Rangers have plenty of cap space and plenty of money.  Knowing that to be true, why does it matter how much Nash makes per year?  They had room for him on the team, under the cap and in the wallet.  They made a move and are now a better team. Unlike the B's, the Rangers don't have a $4M fourth line and a $5M second pairing on D.  They're paying $7.8M for a top line all star talent to light it up on Broadway and to keep them in the news.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Well Nas, whether the NYR are a better team is still left to be seen. Sure they've got plenty of cap space right now but is now all that matters in a cap world? The way I look at Nash is that he'd be worth the gamble if he only had 3 years left on his deal instead of 6. I suppose if they can win it all in the next year or 2 then it will have been worth it. We'll find out eventually I guess.

Sections
Shortcuts