2012-13 Surprises

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: 2012-13 Surprises

In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises : Well Nas, whether the NYR are a better team is still left to be seen. Sure they've got plenty of cap space right now but is now all that matters in a cap world? The way I look at Nash is that he'd be worth the gamble if he only had 3 years left on his deal instead of 6. I suppose if they can win it all in the next year or 2 then it will have been worth it. We'll find out eventually I guess.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I think if Nash goes to New York and scores 40 on a yearly basis, which isnt too far-fetched, and the direction salaries are heading, in years 4,5 and 6 that 7.8 millioin cap hit will be looked at differently than it is now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok, my try my bad not doubt.  

1. unconventional wisdom on positional rankings:

EC- NJD <
         Florida <
         Carolina >

WC- Minnesota >
           Chicago >
           Detriot <

2.  Hamilton - Calder Trophy finalist

3.  Pittsburgh makes a big trade at the deadline:  Fluery needs defense!

4.  Fear Strikes Out for Bs fans:  Chara has another stellar year on defense for the Bs.  Tuuka finds TT to be full of bluster!  

5.  The flight of the Pheonix takes fold and Quebec is the new destination.  

6.  The new CBA is "much to do about nothing"! once all is said and done.  October starts the new season with a shorter preseason.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, my try my bad not doubt.   1. unconventional wisdom on positional rankings: EC- NJD <      Florida <      Carolina /> WC- Minnesota >        Chicago >        Detriot < 2.  Hamilton - Calder Trophy finalist 3.  Pittsburgh makes a big trade at the deadline:  Fluery needs defense! 4.  Fear Strikes Out for Bs fans:  Chara has another stellar year on defense for the Bs.  Tuuka finds TT to be full of bluster!   5.  The flight of the Pheonix takes fold and Quebec is the new destination.   6.  The new CBA is "much to do about nothing"! once all is said and done.  October starts the new season with a shorter preseason.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I could see each one of these happening but really hope your right on 2,4,5 and 6.Really need a team back in Quebec.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises : Well Nas, whether the NYR are a better team is still left to be seen. Sure they've got plenty of cap space right now but is now all that matters in a cap world? The way I look at Nash is that he'd be worth the gamble if he only had 3 years left on his deal instead of 6. I suppose if they can win it all in the next year or 2 then it will have been worth it. We'll find out eventually I guess.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

What is it about the fourth, fifth and sixth year that is worrisome?  Nash will be 34 or 35 years old.  And, if by chance he's on the stinkpile, the Rangers have many options.  They can trade him.  They can buy him out.  They can send him to the AHL.  Six seasons from now, he could be three years into LTIR with the insurance company paying most of his salary and the cap space available. 

The salary ceiling this season is $14.04.  Leading the group is Weber's $14M.  Suter, Parise, Brad Richards and (no joke) Tyler Myers are all earning $12M this season.  Rick Nash, if available and affordable (by cash and cap) at $7.8M?  Great deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

They can only trade him if he wants to be traded. A buyout means paying him to do nothing and paying another to take his place. They could send him to the minors and they have the cash to do it.

What if he is not playing awful but only "good". 25-30 goals a season. What do you do?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises : What is it about the fourth, fifth and sixth year that is worrisome?  Nash will be 34 or 35 years old.  And, if by chance he's on the stinkpile, the Rangers have many options.  They can trade him.  They can buy him out.  They can send him to the AHL.  Six seasons from now, he could be three years into LTIR with the insurance company paying most of his salary and the cap space available.  The salary ceiling this season is $14.04.  Leading the group is Weber's $14M.  Suter, Parise, Brad Richards and (no joke) Tyler Myers are all earning $12M this season.  Rick Nash, if available and affordable (by cash and cap) at $7.8M?  Great deal.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]They can only trade him if he wants to be traded. A buyout means paying him to do nothing and paying another to take his place. They could send him to the minors and they have the cash to do it. What if he is not playing awful but only "good". 25-30 goals a season. What do you do? In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I think he's too good of a player to only registar a 25-30 goal season playing on that team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]They can only trade him if he wants to be traded. A buyout means paying him to do nothing and paying another to take his place. They could send him to the minors and they have the cash to do it. What if he is not playing awful but only "good". 25-30 goals a season. What do you do? In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Yes, they can only trade him if he wants to be traded.  Correct.  Considering his decision to leave Columbus, I will guess that he's in search of victory and pride.  If he tanks in New York, I'll say he doesn't complain if they want to move him to a better team.

The Rangers have been paying Wade Redden $6.5M for years to play in the AHL.  I'm sure they're not too concerned with having the cash to ditch Rick Nash.

If he's scoring 25-30 goals a season, you wish he were earning less, but you keep him on the team.  It's not like you can go out and get a 30 goal scorer for free most years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I agree 100% with NAS on this. It's about cap circumstances and the market, and the NYR have added a strong player at a price that others would have paid if they didn't. If nobody else wanted him, sure they might get away with offering a bit less. But we seem to have this talk over and over again - GMs are not dummies (for the most part) and they can't just look at player X, look at stats and offer Y amount of money thinking "that's what he's worth". They have to factor in what others are willing to ante up.

It's why signing your own RFAs early makes all the sense in the world. A team is always going to value someone else's players more than their own. Grass is always greener, and usually they are looking because they have a hole to fill int he first place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

He scored 30 last year, so he's already coming off a 25-30 goal season.  I think he'll score 30+ this coming season because he's rejuvenated moreso than because he has better teamates. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he's scoring less than that in later years.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises : I think he's too good of a player to only registar a 25-30 goal season playing on that team.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

This should get the pot stirred- TT comes back after christmas due to injuries to Rask & Khudobin & the B's win another cup with him (TT) in the net! Innocent

Eric & Jordon Staal are 5 & 6 in the scoring race. 

Chris Bourque finds out that there's no place like home, makes the B's & gets 20g & 20g. 10 of his goals come from the PP & he leads the team in that category

Dallas Stars not only make the play-offs, but they knock off the Stanley Cup champs in the 2nd round. 

Adam Oates coaches the Caps to the 3rd round & wins coach of the year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Biggest surprise? Hmmm.......

TT comes back to the Bruins after the November U.S. Presidential elections and backstops the team to another cup.

That would be a doozy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Damn Nightmare, you beat me to it.....lol!!!

That will teach me not to read all the posts before replying.Laughing

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Damn Nightmare, you beat me to it.....lol!!! That will teach me not to read all the posts before replying.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    LOL! I knew that's what happened. I'm going to try & unseat Stanley as the greatest predictor on earth. "Remember you heard it from me 1st! All of my above predictions won't be surprises, because I said them." lol

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012-13 Surprises : LOL! I knew that's what happened. I'm going to try & unseat Stanley as the greatest predictor on earth. "Remember you heard it from me 1st! All of my above predictions won't be surprises, because I said them." lol
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Well, you can have this one. I am sure the odds in vegas for this to happen are not that good anyhow.
    Wink

Cheers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

LMAO! I have a buddy who's in Vegas for the long weekend & I told him to put a $1.00 down on it. He texted me back & said "Sure & if you win you'll get a million, because that's what the odds are!" lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

How did you do with predictions?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

ya dont like the label surprises how about perdictions.

My predictions:
    kessel top 10 in pts

rask gaa is above 2.3, since everyone thinks he is the next coming of jesus

seguin has best +/- in the league

crosby doesnt play more than 50 games

Florida makes the playoffs again

nashville doesnt make the playoffs neither does det...

Nothing extremely bold but i bet almost all of these events occur.

wow. you're bad at this. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

Predictions:

Svedberg has an absolute stellar year, Bos hailed for having the absolute best goalie tandem in the league.

US wins gold in the olympics, beat the Finns 5 2 in the finals, Canada gets fourth with Luongo in net.

Edmonton finally makes the playoff.

Kuznetsov joins Capitals just before playoffs and flop.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to WillsBruins' comment:

Predictions:

Svedberg has an absolute stellar year, Bos hailed for having the absolute best goalie tandem in the league.

US wins gold in the olympics, beat the Finns 5 2 in the finals, Canada gets fourth with Luongo in net.

Edmonton finally makes the playoff.

Kuznetsov joins Capitals just before playoffs and flop.

Svedberg will likely play in Prov considering Johnson signed a 1-way deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

In response to heyoo's comment:

[QUOTE]ya dont like the label surprises how about perdictions.

My predictions:
    kessel top 10 in pts

rask gaa is above 2.3, since everyone thinks he is the next coming of jesus

seguin has best +/- in the league

crosby doesnt play more than 50 games

Florida makes the playoffs again

nashville doesnt make the playoffs neither does det...

Nothing extremely bold but i bet almost all of these events occur.

wow. you're bad at this. 

[/QUOTE]

Ha that's bruins8/heyoo/marco/stanjon with his usual awful predictions.  What a mess.

Sections
Shortcuts