2013/14 Around the League Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: 2013/14 Around the League Tracker

Yep, pretty sad statement when Gentle Giant Gill actually has better pugilistic skills than Boyle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

So I guess Malkin got the first jersey tuck penalty the other night and refused to untuck it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thomas has given up 4 goals on 13 shots so far tonight. All set for the Olympics all right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Thomas has given up 4 goals on 13 shots so far tonight. All set for the Olympics all right.

But, But I heard he was "back"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/30/devils-carter-leaves-game-with-lacerations-after-fight/

Marcus Foligno is a class act. Carter shouldn't have elbowed him in the mouth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

So I guess Malkin got the first jersey tuck penalty the other night and refused to untuck it.

he got the penalty because his fight strap was hanging out, not because of the tuck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Bryzgalov injured last night against the Stars. The unfortunately named Garbutt ran him over and Bryz went off holding his head......can the Oilers catch a break? Looks like another good draft pick for them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think NAS is about to enjoy a similar story in Florida, but it's hard to believe, isn't it, jm?  If you go back to the Pronger trade, it's mind-boggling that Edmonton is still this far from being competitive.  [shupe protocol summary: got a good return for Pronger but basically squandered it by being impatient, then have failed to build effectively through the draft despite three 1st overall picks, six top-ten picks, and 10 total first rounders in the last 7 draft years.

In the Pronger deal, the Oil got 2 1st rounders for Pronger along wth Smid and Lupul.  One of those firsts was Jordan Eberle.  Eberle, Lupul and Smid, as they are today, is a better return than most teams have realized on players of Pronger's calibre.  Of course, they didn't wait on Lupul, dealing him to the Flyers for Pitkanen and other bits, so they turned Lupul into next to nothing.  Smid was what he was, and I don't know if they dump him this year if they aren't as awful as they are.  Eberle is still a good young player and still in Edmonton - good for them.  The other first rounder they used to trade up (and move up a year) to select Riley Nash.  Cost them an additional second rounder.  Nash was eventually dealt to Carolina for a second rounder, meaning that that other first was basically cancelled out.

They've now dealt Paajarvi (I like Perron a lot better, to be fair), they dealt Nash, Plante has not progressed as they'd hoped, they would have dealt Gagner if they could have found a taker, and got lucky they didn't before he found his game.  Worse, none of their picks beyond round one have helped them build depth.  Total fail of team-building through the draft, and the only excuse for many of the deals they've made would be that they were headed to the rock bottom to build through high picks.  Their philosophy is flawed, the execution is goofy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The Smid move is still a bit of a headscratcher. Granted he is only a top 2 in EDM but they moved him for nothing. I was expecting another move by Mac to bring in a Dman but nothing. Maybe Smid did something to pi** off management or asked for a trade (understandable) but who knows?

Another deal that they screwed up royally was the Ryan Smyth deal for.......nobody it turns out. AHL players, no developed picks, and a buyout for the most sought after commodity at that deadline.

Yikes!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

SJ goes into the ACC and drops the Lerfs 4-2.  That's 5 L's in a row for Toronto.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Here's the jerseys for the Kings/Ducks outdoor game in January.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=694190&navid=nhl:topheads

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

The Smid move is still a bit of a headscratcher. Granted he is only a top 2 in EDM but they moved him for nothing. I was expecting another move by Mac to bring in a Dman but nothing. Maybe Smid did something to pi** off management or asked for a trade (understandable) but who knows?

Another deal that they screwed up royally was the Ryan Smyth deal for.......nobody it turns out. AHL players, no developed picks, and a buyout for the most sought after commodity at that deadline.

Yikes!!!!

One of many by Kevin Lowe and his cronies. I'm still waiting for "Bold Moves" MacTavish to show his hand, he can't be all in with Bryzgalov can he? I thought he said he was an impatient man,if his team being 9-18-2 with 1/3 of the season gone doesn't make him impatient, i don't know what will.Remember, MacT said Ales Hemsky will NOT be traded,question is,who would want him anyway at $5 mil per year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

One of many by Kevin Lowe and his cronies. I'm still waiting for "Bold Moves" MacTavish to show his hand, he can't be all in with Bryzgalov can he? I thought he said he was an impatient man,if his team being 9-18-2 with 1/3 of the season gone doesn't make him impatient, i don't know what will.Remember, MacT said Ales Hemsky will NOT be traded,question is,who would want him anyway at $5 mil per year

Plus his bum shoulder. Too bad really, he did once have a bright future. Ference must be having shell shock by now.

I think Mac wants to deal but the other GM's know he is in a position of weakness and are not offering much. The deadline should be fun in any case.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

One of many by Kevin Lowe and his cronies. I'm still waiting for "Bold Moves" MacTavish to show his hand, he can't be all in with Bryzgalov can he? I thought he said he was an impatient man,if his team being 9-18-2 with 1/3 of the season gone doesn't make him impatient, i don't know what will.Remember, MacT said Ales Hemsky will NOT be traded,question is,who would want him anyway at $5 mil per year

Plus his bum shoulder. Too bad really, he did once have a bright future. Ference must be having shell shock by now.

I think Mac wants to deal but the other GM's know he is in a position of weakness and are not offering much. The deadline should be fun in any case.

The thing is JM, Mac should have been dealing in the offseason, he either over estimated how good his team is or wasn't watching any game film. The posters on this forum were commenting on how bad the Oiler defence was last year, but i guess Mac was to busy contemplating his next "bold move" to read this forum. ;-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The thing is JM, Mac should have been dealing in the offseason, he either over estimated how good his team is or wasn't watching any game film. The posters on this forum were commenting on how bad the Oiler defence was last year, but i guess Mac was to busy contemplating his next "bold move" to read this forum. ;-)

How true.....he should know to check with us and our outerworldy wisdom before attempting anything......lol.

He had to know his D was not NHL calibre though. His only real additions were Belov and Ference to an essentially AHL squad from last seasons. I think he rolled the dice that the team would magically improve on its own and that is seldom the case.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

How true.....he should know to check with us and our outerworldy wisdom before attempting anything......lol.

He had to know his D was not NHL calibre though. His only real additions were Belov and Ference to an essentially AHL squad from last seasons. I think he rolled the dice that the team would magically improve on its own and that is seldom the case.

Maybe Lowe did read the forum JM and he got caught up in all of the exaggereated love that Ference routinely basked in. Ference seemed like a great guy but he's only a decent D man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He has two reasonably responsible in their own end guys - Ference and Nick Schultz. Everyone else on that blueline, as well as all of their forwards, don't really know how to play defensively at this level. You can't really put their defensive woes on either Schultz the senior or Ference when you have 16 other guys on the ice who don't know what to do when they don't have the puck. That's on Eakins and the youngsters for not figuring it out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Maybe Lowe did read the forum JM and he got caught up in all of the exaggereated love that Ference routinely basked in. Ference seemed like a great guy but he's only a decent D man.

Seems like a great guy for sure, but again,in Boston he is only a 3rd pairing d-man, hardly the guy to anchor the revamping of a teams defence.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

At least Ference did something that i always felt like doing and thats give the finger to the whole Bell center,what a classic. Ole,ole,ole,ole.....my azz!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

He has two reasonably responsible in their own end guys - Ference and Nick Schultz. Everyone else on that blueline, as well as all of their forwards, don't really know how to play defensively at this level. You can't really put their defensive woes on either Schultz the senior or Ference when you have 16 other guys on the ice who don't know what to do when they don't have the puck. That's on Eakins and the youngsters for not figuring it out.

I agree completely Red. Defense is a team responsibility that the forwards need to play a big part of for any team to have real success.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Some posters have taken CJ to task about his defence first philosophy but you can readily see what a team can look like without it. Oilers are a prime example.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Some posters have taken CJ to task about his defence first philosophy but you can readily see what a team can look like without it. Oilers are a prime example.

50, I think a good defense usually wins in most sports. People underestimate the importance of forwards playing good D but it's crucial to success.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

50, I think a good defense usually wins in most sports. People underestimate the importance of forwards playing good D but it's crucial to success.

And this is the backbreaker for the Oil. The kids just don't backecheck and Mac doesnt seem to want to invest in some savy d-minded vets that aren't past their prime and can play a regular shift. Eakins will be bald from stress by seasons end....bank it

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

SJ goes into the ACC and drops the Lerfs 4-2.  That's 5 L's in a row for Toronto.

WHO WILL STOP THEM!?

Man, that makes me laugh now.  I mean, it made me laugh then, but now?  Now it means "who will stop them from sliding into the abyss of mediocrity that they've made their franchise's home for the last 46 years!?"  This is what Leafs do.  They fall.

At the end of October, they were 10-4.  They're 4-7-3 since.  Two of those four wins came by shootout.  Phillicity has dropped to 20th in league scoring, below the point/game pace, and he has 7 points in his last 15 games.  Goaltending hasn't been the issue.  Their D is awful - even though Phaneuf has been having a strong season for him (getting pantsed by Eriksson aside).  Love it.  Go(lf), Leafs, Go(lf)!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

WHO WILL STOP THEM!?

Man, that makes me laugh now.  I mean, it made me laugh then, but now?  Now it means "who will stop them from sliding into the abyss of mediocrity that they've made their franchise's home for the last 46 years!?"  This is what Leafs do.  They fall.

At the end of October, they were 10-4.  They're 4-7-3 since.  Two of those four wins came by shootout.  Phillicity has dropped to 20th in league scoring, below the point/game pace, and he has 7 points in his last 15 games.  Goaltending hasn't been the issue.  Their D is awful - even though Phaneuf has been having a strong season for him (getting pantsed by Eriksson aside).  Love it.  Go(lf), Leafs, Go(lf)!

It's his contract year.  And in other things Lerfian:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/12/04/maple_leafs_kessel_hurt_hbo_cameras_run_after_him.html#

Sections
Shortcuts