2013/14 Around the League Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Re: 2013/14 Around the League Tracker

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like watching the Isles, down 3-1 to the Rags and they come back to take the lead in the 3rd. I want them to get the #8 spot and take out the Penguins.

What a finish to the game!

[/QUOTE]

Saw it as well San -- Icelanders just don't go away and love to see the Rangers finally come down to earth. Wasn't that long ago that they led the league in blown 3rd period leads. Tavares and Co have put and end to that. This was a great tune-up for the upcoming Yankee Stadium game next week.

On another note and another team -- Catching Wings games on Center Ice. Is this kid Tatar an up and comer? Fourth in team goals with 10 but has 3 GW's. Middle of the pack with other stats but consider he ranks 19th in TOI. The kid looks pretty slick out there. Great skater, above average hands and plenty elusive.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

Leafs on fire, not far behind us, just won their 6th in a row. Kessel got his 25 and 26th he has 14 pts in 6 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Ramz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leafs on fire, not far behind us, just won their 6th in a row. Kessel got his 25 and 26th he has 14 pts in 6 games.

[/QUOTE]

Was at this game and Varlamov was just awful.  Nobody's better at exploiting a bad goalie, and weak defense in a mid-winter game than Kessel.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Hawks @ Wings -- tied at the end of regulation -- as good a game as the B's @ Hawks the other night. Six round SO goes to the Wings. Highlight in the SO was Gustavsson double save on Kane. Wings with a bunch of injuries. Tatar steps up with an impressive game. Great young talent.

Habs smoked by Pens -- Budaj and Fleury leave crease in 3rd period but intercepted by refs before any punches thrown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Under 2 minutes left in the third and Dallas is putting it to the Leafs 7-1. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Carlyle just looked up at the replay of Wheeler's goal as if to say "Well I though we had good goaltending to start the season with".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]

Carlyle just looked up at the replay of Wheeler's goal as if to say "Well I though we had good goaltending to start the season with".

[/QUOTE]

That was a nice goal by Wheeler... Exploding off the wing, blew by the DMan and beats Reimer 5 hole....

Hey San you got tix to the outdoor game tonite? Looking forward to watching tonight....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Celebs are out to the watch the Kings and Ducks at Dodger Stadium tonight.  KISS opened the pre-game show.  Vin Scully and Kings play-by-play guy Bob Miller MC'd. CBC cameras picked up Cuba Gooding, Jr., Tom Arnold, Paulina Gretzky and Alyssa Milano.

Wayne Gretzky dropped the puck. Kings are wearing special black and grey unis while Anaheim is in orange and black.  Think I heard something about it being about 80 degrees at game time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Ducks off to a fast start leading LA 2-0 the 10 minute mark of the first period.  Hiller just stopped Kopitar on a PS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

It's different seeing a deep green colour just beyond the boards and behind the benches.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The Leafs and Wings wore non-white jerseys uniforms for the Winter Classic. Tonight LA and the Ducks are also in non-white.  Against the white ice surface it makes sense.  Would the league ever consider this full-time?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

B's do a number on Flyers this afternoon -- Habs smoked out last night and tonight. If the Rangers can just drop the game tomorrow at Yankee Stadium -- It's a weekend made to order.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Celebs are out to the watch the Kings and Ducks at Dodger Stadium tonight.  KISS opened the pre-game show.  Vin Scully and Kings play-by-play guy Bob Miller MC'd. CBC cameras picked up Cuba Gooding, Jr., Tom Arnold, Paulina Gretzky and Alyssa Milano.

Wayne Gretzky dropped the puck. Kings are wearing special black and grey unis while Anaheim is in orange and black.  Think I heard something about it being about 80 degrees at game time.

[/QUOTE]

Like the Uni's.... Terrible hockey game though......They should give all three stars to Dan Craig....the IceMaker King.....amazing that their playing hockey and not swimming....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Bruins won,Scabs lost again, another great sleep tonight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:[QUOTE] Carlyle just looked up at the replay of Wheeler's goal as if to say "Well I though we had good goaltending to start the season with". [/QUOTE]

That was a nice goal by Wheeler... Exploding off the wing, blew by the DMan and beats Reimer 5 hole....

Hey San you got tix to the outdoor game tonite? Looking forward to watching tonight....[/QUOTE]

I wanted to go, could have gone...friend had a ticket but I hate trying to get in and out of Chavez Ravine. It freakin stinks to high heaven!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Jets with a nice come from behind win in Chicago tonight. 6-1 under Paul Maurice now with a win against the DucksAs well. Only loss was 1-0 to the Sharks, not too shabby.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Jets with a nice come from behind win in Chicago tonight. 6-1 under Paul Maurice now with a win against the DucksAs well. Only loss was 1-0 to the Sharks, not too shabby.

All that and they still sit 7 points out of the eighth spot. I heard a Winnipeg hockey reporter on THE FAN 590 last Friday being asked if he thought Jets fans fear a letdown after the end of the present honeymoon period involving the spike in play with the coaching change. He said they're aware of it but are feeling too good right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhEgFGZbfo#t=23

And Ken Hitchcock said "don't open Roman P0lak's door". Ryane Clowe disagrees!

What an upper cut!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

i have to admit, I really like all these stadium series jerseys. Islanders ones are real nice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Scrivens makes 59 saves for the shutoute against the Sharks.  Most ever for a regular season shutoute.  He's now 2-2 since joining the Oil, made 34 saves on 35 shots the game before, has given up three goals total in his last three starts.  Is it possible the Oil have found a goalie?  I mean, I wouldn't think so, but we've seen this trick before where a certain goalie plays like a HoFer under a particular coach and only under that coach.  Scrivens and Eakins seem to get along.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Scrivens makes 59 saves for the shutoute against the Sharks.  Most ever for a regular season shutoute.  He's now 2-2 since joining the Oil, made 34 saves on 35 shots the game before, has given up three goals total in his last three starts.  Is it possible the Oil have found a goalie?  I mean, I wouldn't think so, but we've seen this trick before where a certain goalie plays like a HoFer under a particular coach and only under that coach.  Scrivens and Eakins seem to get along.

[/QUOTE]

Scrivens had some nice numbers in L.A when Quick first went down. Then Martin Jones steps in and his numbers were even better. People see that, look at Quicks numbers and credit the system, I started a thread about it.

Scrivens was unreal last night. People will look at the score and see Edmonton won 3-0 and wonder what heppened. San Jose dominated that game from start to finish.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe,maybe not, is this a flash in the pan? Who knows, but any team that gives up 59 shots better worry about their defence and back checking, too late for that this year. "Bold Moves" MacTavish better have some moves up his sleeve because the Oilers need something and i really can't tell if Eakins is a good coach or not.From what i've seen of the Oilers in their own end i would say one thing,defence isn't his specialty and Steve Smith? Well we do know he used to be able to put the puck in his own net,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think my contribution to that thread on LA's goaltenders said yeah, it's got something to do with system.  I still think it does in that every goaltender who plays in LA seems to have great numbers, and Kiprusoff had his best years playing for Darryl.  Eddie Belfour established himself as a top flight goalie under Darryl; Mike Vernon had the second best GAA of his looooong career under Darryl in SJ; and Darryl's first year in LA is still Quick's best year by a fair margin (he may challenge it this year if he keeps playing the way he has post injury).  Darryl's system is good for goalies.

That doesn't mean that Scrivens doesn't have a shote at being another TT; a guy who is just looking for a chance who runs with it when he gets it.  Edmonton doesn't want to have to play lock down D; that city feels entitled to the greatest show on ice fast-pased up and down 8-6 hockey they enjoyed with Gretzky and Messier and Coffey and Kurri and Anderson etc..  They did that in the 1980s with a goalie whose numbers were pedestrian but whose ability to thrive in that situation - constant good chances against because teams were counter-punching - was off the charts.

Maybe Scrivens can be that guy for this generation of Oilers, who, instead of dominating and looking to get bailed out when they give up inevitable odd-man chances, are going to get dominated more often than not, but score their share of goals when they counterpunch.  How fun would it be to see the Oilers not deal any of those young offensive talents, and maybe even add a Vanek and a Boyle in FA next year so that they can really gas up the firewagons, tap Scrivens on the pads, say "see you in a couple of hours", and then just ride with the valkyries for sixty minutes a night?  All out blitz all the time?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Steve Smith? Well we do know he used to be able to put the puck in his own net,

[/QUOTE]

He'll never escape that.  Poor bastardo.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Maybe Scrivens can be that guy for this generation of Oilers, who, instead of dominating and looking to get bailed out when they give up inevitable odd-man chances, are going to get dominated more often than not, but score their share of goals when they counterpunch.  How fun would it be to see the Oilers not deal any of those young offensive talents, and maybe even add a Vanek and a Boyle in FA next year so that they can really gas up the firewagons, tap Scrivens on the pads, say "see you in a couple of hours", and then just ride with the valkyries for sixty minutes a night?  All out blitz all the time?

[/QUOTE]

I think this was Oiler managements plan all along but somewhere along the way forgot to pick up Coffey,Gregg,Huddy,lowe,Fogolin,McSorely and anyone else that at least could clear the front of the net or get the puck up to the forwards or at the very least master the break out pass.You would think Lowe would be the first one to know this and MacTavish to a lesser extent but i guess not. Andy Ference just isn't cutting it, although he can't do it all by himself.

Sections
Shortcuts