2013-14 landscape

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

2013-14 landscape

Lotta threads all around this, so maybe this is redundant, but feels like there's some reality checking necessary.

Bruins have 11 forwards not named Savard on the signed NHL roster.  They have 6 D not including Bartkowski or confirmed departee Ference.  And they have 0 goalies.  This leaves them with $5.8 M for two goalies and a forward at minimum.  Savard on LTIR brings that up to $9.9M for those three players.  Rask will be ~$6M of that.  Providence callups for the other two jobs = $1.6-1.9M depending on the forward.  Let's round up and say that right now, the Bruins have about $2M of wiggle room to fill out the roster before considering moves that lead to further holes.  For example, a Peverley buyout or a trade for picks reduces the cap by $3.25M, but now you have to replace him.  $5.25 might be enough for Horton to stay, and that would shift the roster spot filled by a call up to the bottom 6.

Except, if you want to carry 7 D (they always do) then you need another $650K for Bartkowski.  So Horton's now looking unlikely at $4.75M. 

So the existing lanscape is probably this:

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin

Soderberg-Bergeron-Marchand (flipped due to CS's blind eye)

Paille-Kelly-Peverley

rookie-Campbell-Thornton.

Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid, Krug, Hamilton

Rask, Svedberg.

Maybe this lets them carry Bartkowski and an extra rook to spell in on the fourth line.

I don't see a lot of changes to this, to be honest.  Line juggling to start the year and a deal if things are going poorly.  Maybe a stretch if there's a guy who is available due to the Cap situation, but that's the wrap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: 2013-14 landscape

Dead on correct.  I hope they give more Providence guys time next year to see if anyone can step up to the NHL level or just get some seasoning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Yep. That about sums it up. Can't see Horton in the picture either. What's left is a pretty decent core but not one that is head and shoulders above other top teams. The right wing as it stands could do with some bolstering IMHO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think a Peverly buy-out hinges on the impression Spooner can make between now and then. Spooner should be ready for at least some consideration on the roster.  Peverly although still quite useful (shut it Stanley) is unquestionably overpaid.  This move then allows for some $ to be spent on either a 'good fit' bottom six forward or, possibly, Horton.

I think Spooner's defensive worries might be mitigated by playing with Kelly and Paille.  I also think that if Julien has to add youngsters/inexperienced guys like Soderberg and Spooner to the regular roster, that he may demend a veteran forward be found for the 12th spot, instead of another Providence floater.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

PC said no buy-outs would be used. Also, Jagr confirming he's not staying. Where does that put the cap room at now Book? There's not really anyone intriguing out there as a UFA to sign so any addition would have to come via trade.  Who can we give up? I agree in that we don't have to get a big time player and maybe look in house to fill gaps, but a serviceable third liner may be prudent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think there are a few UFA forwards that would be of interest if they are not signed first.  If the Bruins walk away from Horton there are a few current UFAs that could hit the market.

Eric Nystrom, Ryan Jones, Mason Raymond...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If they're going to keep up 13 forwards, 7 D and two keepers, I don't see anything much happening besides a promotion for two forwards, a call up for Svedberg and a Rask signing. Keep a little extra space in case of trade ability closer to the deadline.

I expect a pretty slow off-season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Al-Samarraie's comment:

PC said no buy-outs would be used. Also, Jagr confirming he's not staying. Where does that put the cap room at now Book? There's not really anyone intriguing out there as a UFA to sign so any addition would have to come via trade.  Who can we give up? I agree in that we don't have to get a big time player and maybe look in house to fill gaps, but a serviceable third liner may be prudent.

Makes my portrait that much more likely.  Jagr wasn't on the books, so his departure was already taken into account.  Ditto Ference.  And no compliance buyout=no Horton unless they make a trade to make room.

So, what red said, but...wait for it...there will be a Pandolfoesque signing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm hoping for Ryan Jones from Edmonton.  They seem to have too much skilled youth at forward to resign him, but he is a great energy, two-way, checking line guy with a little scoring touch.  I think B's fans would love him.  And he should be an affordable signing that gives Julian a little more reliability in a lineup that could feature rookies in Soderberg and Spooner.

I agree that this is about as much activity as we could possibly expect in the summer, unless we trade a bunch of stagnating AHL talent for Nathan Mackinnon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Very well thought out Book. Possibly could be a  trade, I get the feeling from what he said that Chiarelli would like to keep Horton. Not sure if it's possibe. Also, I think Bartkowski will be in the top 6 defenseman. So, maybe a trade there.

Well done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I agree that this is about as much activity as we could possibly expect in the summer, unless we trade a bunch of stagnating AHL talent for Nathan Mackinnon.

Yes, we should do that....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Agree with the original post.  I did the roster review and it looked nearly identical to your 22.

Also agreed that without trades, that has to be the roster.

I also think that a Bergy contract extension is PC's #2 priority (after signing Rask).   Bergy's contract extension will likely be announced within a few days of the beginning of of season (so that the additional $$ will be added to next year's salary cap). 

Also, Seidenberg and Thornton are UFA after next season.  I would guess that Seidenberg is likely going to look for a serious bump above $3.25 mil (even though he will be 33 during the 2014-2015 season).  If he wants a reasonable salary then I think that he stays, but if he wants $5 mil per season then the B's will have to cut ties.  I think that Thornton will stay as long as the B's are willing to pay him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/23145

Just not a ton of room at the deadline for this roster. Blah it's going to be hard...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    Keep Horton buyout Peverley, Savard LTIR
    FORWARDS
    Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Nathan Horton ($4.500m)
    Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Tyler Seguin ($5.750m)
    Ryan Spooner ($0.870m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m)
    Anthony Camara ($0.925m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Daniel Paille ($1.300m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
    Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) / Torey Krug ($1.704m)
    Adam McQuaid ($1.567m) / Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m)
    GOALTENDERS
    Tuukka Rask ($5.500m)
    Niklas Svedberg ($1.000m)
    OTHER
    Buyout: Rich Peverley ($1.000m)
    ------
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,501,667; BONUSES: $1,980,000
    CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $778,333

And I'm dreamin about Horton and Rask's numbers. Chiarelli has a task at hand that is for sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

Agree with the original post.  I did the roster review and it looked nearly identical to your 22.

Also agreed that without trades, that has to be the roster.

I also think that a Bergy contract extension is PC's #2 priority (after signing Rask).   Bergy's contract extension will likely be announced within a few days of the beginning of of season (so that the additional $$ will be added to next year's salary cap). 

Also, Seidenberg and Thornton are UFA after next season.  I would guess that Seidenberg is likely going to look for a serious bump above $3.25 mil (even though he will be 33 during the 2014-2015 season).  If he wants a reasonable salary then I think that he stays, but if he wants $5 mil per season then the B's will have to cut ties.  I think that Thornton will stay as long as the B's are willing to pay him.

ahh, football guy right? it doesn't matter when they announce the bergeron extension, it won't effect the cap hit for next season. hockey doesn't work like that. once you've signed a contract it is set in stone. Unless you're bought out, demoted, or traded, you are on the teams cap hit for what you signed for, no matter what. (seriously, if it's a 35+ contract even if you die you're still on the cap)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No buyouts per PC, so it will take deal to find room for Horton.

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Book, do you think the Jets could value PK skills enough to take Kelly and Peverley for Burmistrov? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Book, do you think the Jets could value PK skills enough to take Kelly and Peverley for Burmistrov? 

Stanley will make gentleman jelly in his pants just by reading that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/23145

Just not a ton of room at the deadline for this roster. Blah it's going to be hard...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    Keep Horton buyout Peverley, Savard LTIR
    FORWARDS
    Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Nathan Horton ($4.500m)
    Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Tyler Seguin ($5.750m)
    Ryan Spooner ($0.870m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m)
    Anthony Camara ($0.925m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Daniel Paille ($1.300m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
    Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) / Torey Krug ($1.704m)
    Adam McQuaid ($1.567m) / Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m)
    GOALTENDERS
    Tuukka Rask ($5.500m)
    Niklas Svedberg ($1.000m)
    OTHER
    Buyout: Rich Peverley ($1.000m)
    ------
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,501,667; BONUSES: $1,980,000
    CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $778,333

And I'm dreamin about Horton and Rask's numbers. Chiarelli has a task at hand that is for sure.

That's a pretty good line up. I think Rask will get $6+ which will probably mean's Horton is gone. Maybe I'm wrong and he gives PC a home town discount to be on a perennial playoff team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Burmistrov wants out of Winnipeg. That should lessen his value. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Burmistrov wants out of Winnipeg. That should lessen his value. 

toss in a late rounder and he's yours - kelly and pevs are perfect fits for the peg. postma's rights and burmistrov for kelly, pevs and a late rounder - as a fan of both teams, sounds good to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Red, I truly think that's the type of deal that could benefit both clubs right away. The Bruins would get some cap relief and the Jets acquire some real depth. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Red, I truly think that's the type of deal that could benefit both clubs right away. The Bruins would get some cap relief and the Jets acquire some real depth. 

-Gerry Dee

I agree. I consider the Jets "Bruins-Lite". They try to play the same style of game, but don't have the depth or horses to do it. Two solid youthful assets for the veteran depth with faceoff skills and defensive experience, in a situation where Boston is at the cap and the Peg has acres of cap space - like I said as a fan of both teams, that works for me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Peverly has value and would easily come off the books.  Might not be enough to bring horton back but it closes the gap and where rak is a rfa they might be able to talk both into lower first year deals.   I know im dreaming.  Id like to see horton back.  Ive changed my tune and really like the khl line a lot.  

Fletch, i like jones as well.  He was a fan favorite in edmonton.  I do believe we need more speed. A chucky kobasew or keith aucoin might be that type of signing.   I believe paille has earned a bump in lines.  Soder can start on the 4th.  

Khl, bms, kelly paille aucoin, campy soder st.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

dez, it sounds like a good deal from a cap point of view, but it somehow feels like the kind of deal where you start chasing a set of contingencies and, in dealing with the next contingency, forget where you were going when you started.  The cap is only an issue for the Bruins next year if they feel they need Horton - Chiarelli seems to feel that way from his comments.  But even if I think about the Boston roster with three of four lines intact, and a third line of Burmistrov, Spooner and Soderberg, it seems like a completely different team.  You've lost two key penalty killers and face-off men with great speed and hockey smarts.  Bergeron, Marchand, Campbell and Paille could generally handle the PK with Krejci filling in when one of those four is in the box.  Those two guys play such a variety of roles in Julien's system, I have a hard time thinking that they'd dump both at the same time to keep the increasingly fragile Horton, even with Burmistrov coming back. 

If Burmistrov is Zherdev 2.0, that's a poisonous deal.

All that said, if Chiarelli is going to look to make a move to keep Horton, it pretty much has to be at least one of Kelly or Peverley, and his comments today have him committed to a trade to make it happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I've liked what little I've seen of Burmistrov and would hope the change of scenery could serve as a kick in the pants. I don't know, I'm just spit balling some ideas. I'm also just interested to see how this weekend plays out. Plenty of player movement coming up league wide. 

-Gerry Dee