2013-2014 cap

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

2013-2014 cap

Now that we know what it is, $64.3 million, now we can start talking about how the Bruins can be compliant. Right now the B's have $57.1 million in commitments next year with 16 players signed. Put Savard on LTIR and that goes down to $53,092,857 and 15 players. If Bourque can get promoted, then they're at $53,642,857 and 16 players, with 4-6 roster spots open including both keepers. If Krug can make the squad, then they'd be at $55,347,024 with one spot open on D. If by a miracle they can sign Horton, Rask and Khudobin for the same cash, they'd have enough room for a minimum salary player to fill out the 7th D spot. Sorry Andrew.

What do all think PC can do to get under and still keep the core and a strong team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: 2013-2014 cap

Also, God it's nice to be talking hockey again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/

I've seen Krug play and he is not NHL material but he has a real good agent who could indeed sell ice to an eskimo. I say Chiarelli signs Ference to another cap friendly 3 year deal. Trotman is the only other Dman prospect that is worth developing but not ready to be the 7th. So Ference stays becuas it doen's save enough money to keep both Krejci and Horton

Horton to me is the biggest question mark and will be in the $5M-$6.5M price range to resign. Huge, huge decesion for Chiarelli cause if he keeps Horton, Krejci would have to go. Trading Thornton, Campbell and Peverly puts Boston back with Begin type fill ins that was misery in 2010. Seguins performance this shortened season will tell PC what to do with Krejci and I say it will be trade #46 to keep Bergeron.

Rask and Khudobin have to be kept that is $4.5M right there. It will be tight but PC gets it done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've seen Krug play and he is not NHL material but he has a real good agent who could indeed sell ice to an eskimo. I say Chiarelli signs Ference to another cap friendly 3 year deal. Trotman is the only other Dman prospect that is worth developing but not ready to be the 7th. So Ference stays becuas it doen's save enough money to keep both Krejci and Horton

Horton to me is the biggest question mark and will be in the $5M-$6.5M price range to resign. Huge, huge decesion for Chiarelli cause if he keeps Horton, Krejci would have to go. Trading Thornton, Campbell and Peverly puts Boston back with Begin type fill ins that was misery in 2010. Seguins performance this shortened season will tell PC what to do with Krejci and I say it will be trade #46 to keep Bergeron.

Rask and Khudobin have to be kept that is $4.5M right there. It will be tight but PC gets it done.

[/QUOTE]

I think your right on this one Sandog, Ference is affordable, knows the system and likely wants to stay in Boston. Maybe a 2 yr deal but i think he stays. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

IMO, GM's cannot wait until this summer, to re-tool their rosters for the lower cap.

I think, that there are going to be a huge number of trades upto this year's trade deadline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO, GM's cannot wait until this summer, to re-tool their rosters for the lower cap.

I think, that there are going to be a huge number of trades upto this year's trade deadline.

[/QUOTE]

You're probably right Bigs. Most GM's won't have much time to wait for lineups to gel.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Untouchable! Bergeron, Seguin and Chara (others need to impress to earn a cheque in this tight cap sport)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Chara isn't untouchable.  I'd even ask him to reconsider re-tooling his contract.  Fat chance he would.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yes, shupe, he is (though let's all say it together: "if Gretzky could get traded, no one is untouchable" - there, now we all feel better).

The cascade effect would be deadly if they didn't have Chara.  I'm not sure who they could get in return that would counter that effect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I don't think you'll see DK, or Horton go. If Horton is willing to take a cut to stay. Also, I can't see both Rask & Khudobin here next yr. Unless Anton is going to do what Rask did & play in the 1.1 range. You'll see Kelly & Peverly go before DK & Horton. Especially if Horts comes around the way Bergeron has & finds his 25-30 goal pace again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Bruins have a lot of guys signed for the two or three years.  8 of 12 forwards are wrapped up for the next three, and 4 of 6 D.  This could be good or bad depending on how the revenues go.  If revenues grow quickly enough, the longer deals will shrink in relation to the cap over time.  If they don't, teams signing guys under the 50% cap will be better able to manage.

I'm not sure Horton is going to be getting $5-6M.  He's coming off of a year where a second serious concussion levelled him for the balance of the year.  If he doesn't have a good year this year, he might be a pretty serious risk at a time when there may be a number of other options for teams with money to spend.  The guys who the Bruins might need to look at are mostly in the bottom six - Peverley might be a luxury, but RP and Kelly both might be too much to carry.

The problem may be not having someone on the roster who could step in and play if the Bruins dealt one or the other for picks/prospects/cap space.  Maybe Spooner will be ready by then?  Knight back from the ECHL?  PC's modus operandi suggests he'll make some background moves to give himself flexibility when he gets closer to decision day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, shupe, he is (though let's all say it together: "if Gretzky could get traded, no one is untouchable" - there, now we all feel better).

The cascade effect would be deadly if they didn't have Chara.  I'm not sure who they could get in return that would counter that effect.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a more valuable player to their team in the league.  But he isn't young and his wheelchair contract isn't great.  I know it won't happen but I wouldn't say he's untouchable.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

PS. Don't use Gretzky and chara in same blog Even if you are using an example. I would compare him more to Pronger and he's been traded a few times.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bruins have a lot of guys signed for the two or three years.  8 of 12 forwards are wrapped up for the next three, and 4 of 6 D.  This could be good or bad depending on how the revenues go.  If revenues grow quickly enough, the longer deals will shrink in relation to the cap over time.  If they don't, teams signing guys under the 50% cap will be better able to manage.

I'm not sure Horton is going to be getting $5-6M.  He's coming off of a year where a second serious concussion levelled him for the balance of the year.  If he doesn't have a good year this year, he might be a pretty serious risk at a time when there may be a number of other options for teams with money to spend.  The guys who the Bruins might need to look at are mostly in the bottom six - Peverley might be a luxury, but RP and Kelly both might be too much to carry.

The problem may be not having someone on the roster who could step in and play if the Bruins dealt one or the other for picks/prospects/cap space.  Maybe Spooner will be ready by then?  Knight back from the ECHL?  PC's modus operandi suggests he'll make some background moves to give himself flexibility when he gets closer to decision day.

[/QUOTE]

Good post 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I don't think you'll see DK, or Horton go. If Horton is willing to take a cut to stay. Also, I can't see both Rask & Khudobin here next yr. Unless Anton is going to do what Rask did & play in the 1.1 range. You'll see Kelly & Peverly go before DK & Horton. Especially if Horts comes around the way Bergeron has & finds his 25-30 goal pace again.

Why would Horton take a pay cut ?

Why would Khudobin be in a position to ask for more than he is getting now ? Why is $1.1M allot for a backup goalie ? How would even $1.5M price Khudobin out of Boston ?

What kind of market is there for Peverly in a trade when teams are trying to get under the cap ?

What kind of return would Krejci get ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Trades will simply be cap relief from now on.  There will be very few good hockey trades going fwd.  it will be bad contract for bad contract dumps.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Some solid players are going to be dumped for no other reason but they don't fit under the cap.  The Bruins are in no different a position with it's roster.  But what this will do, is give other teams a chance to sign said players at a much lower cap hit.  Players aren't going to be getting what they were in the recent past.  So the Bruins will give up some talent but have a chance to pick up some quality talent also.

You may see players like Horton be released if he doesn't take less because he is a huge risk for another concussion because of his style of play.  Love the guy but it's a numbers game more so this year than in the past.  The Bruins are in a much better position than many other clubs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

Luc 6M   Krej 5.25

no way Hort signs for less, he is getting 5.5 this year, his cap is 4M.

Rask and Khudo will get next year what TT and Rask got last year if Rask ias the #1 at year end.

Ham 1.5 and a Exelby or such at 1.0 will replace Ference at 2.25 and Mott .8M unless Fer drops back to 1.5 can't see it but pc is loyal to those he likes and he likes fer and hort

GOAT!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In another thread the consensus seemed to be that the B's won't necessarily need to use the two compliance buy-outs each team will get this summer. If true, it would be interesting if PC could acquire some picks/prospects/depth by acquiring another team's buyout target(s) and then making the payout.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's a whole new set of rules I think for UFAs and/or RFAs.  I think the agents and players cannot look at what some of the players got before the lockout and expect the same or similar dollars.

GM's won't be big spenders or overpay anyone with all this un-certainty, at least for now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dc-bruins-fan's comment:

In another thread the consensus seemed to be that the B's won't necessarily need to use the two compliance buy-outs each team will get this summer. If true, it would be interesting if PC could acquire some picks/prospects/depth by acquiring another team's buyout target(s) and then making the payout.

Thsi makes allot of sense as this isn't the old days were no one wanted to play in Boston. Veterans that have been bought out, could want to come to the Bruins to play for a team that isn't far removed from a title.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Why would Horton take a pay cut - Only reason would be if his concussions prevent him from being the clutch player he was. I can't remember another player who's scored 3 series winning goals in the same play-off yr. He was on pace for a 30+ season last year, so I'm not  under valuing him. However, considering where the B's will be once they're forced to lower their cap spending. He may have to take a cut in order to stay.

Why would Khudobin be in a position to ask for more than he is getting now ? If Anton contiues to develope & has a good year. He & his agent will be hoping to move to a team to play more. The guy is 5-1 in the bigs & actually has better stats than Rask had after 6 full NHL games.

Why is $1.1M allot for a backup goalie ? How would even $1.5M price Khudobin out of Boston ? I think when you have to deplete your roster to make it under the ceiling (eg. 2010 Chicago) creates an issue.

What kind of market is there for Peverly in a trade when teams are trying to get under the cap ? I think a speed team like the Avalanche could & would take on Peverly's salary. A vet who has a cup & can play all 3 forward positions & a pk'er makes him a hot commodity IMO.

What kind of return would Krejci get ? Patrick Sharp maybe?

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Bergeron, Seguin, Chara, Lucic and Seidenberg would be on my never trade list unless someone blows me away with an outrageously one sided trade.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thanks Nite good explanation can't say I agree with all of it but good explanation.

How long before Scott Laughlin announces the Laffs as Stanley Cup contenders ? lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

Krejci 5.25M his return needs tobe in 3M range

Not Sharp 5.9M

maybe Bolland 3.375

2014 yr     2014 yr          

Luc 6                Luc 6

Seg 5.75          Seg 5.75

Krej 5.25          Boll 3.375

Berg 5              Berg 5

Hort 5              Hort 5

March 4.5         March 4.5

Pever 3.25        Pever 3.25

Kelly 3               Kelly 3

Camp 1.6          Camp 1.6

Paille 1.3          Paille 1.3

Thorn 1.1          Thorn 1.1

Spooner 0.87   Spooner 0.87

Bourq 0.55       Bourq 0.55          

Tot   43.17       Tot   41.295          

Chara   6.917   Chara   6.917

Boych 3.367     Boych 3.367

Seid 3.25         Seid 3.25

McQ 1.567        McQ 1.567

Hamilton 1.5     Hamilton 1.5

Johnson 0.65   Johnson 0.65

Exel 0.6            Exel 0.6

Tot   17.851      Tot   17.851                  

Rask 5              Rask 5

Sved 1               Sved 1

Tot   6                Tot  6          

Buyouts 0          Buyouts 0         

Salary 67.021   Salary 65.146

Cap 64.3           Cap 64.3

Bonus 1             Bonus 1          

Available -1.721   Available 0.154

With DK and cheapest extras we will still be over. Hort will not be cheaper than 5, he is top liner and March is 4.5M.

DK is the choice will bring a good return a 3M player and maybe a good draft pick.

Fer is also a goner, 7th D and 13thF might be a luxury we can't afford until required.

GOAT!!!