2013 Hawks Run More Impressive than 79/80 Flyers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

2013 Hawks Run More Impressive than 79/80 Flyers?

This is according to Holmgren:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659200&navid=nhl:topheads

The gist of it is that the league has more parity now and it is tougher to go on a run like this as opposed to back then.

Two things make me think otherwise:

1. playing exclusively within the conference this season

2. the modern overtime rules

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Re: 2013 Hawks Run More Impressive than 79/80 Flyers?

noth runs are amazing but you cant look past the playing in your own division and overtime rules. Im not saying one team is better than the other, their streaks are set to different sets of rules.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Very true. There are stong arguments for both sides on this. Truth is, the context for each are very, very different.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I see them as unrelated. 

This Hawks streak was annoying when it was 14 games.  Now I'm loving it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Flyers streak was more amazing to me because of the era. The reality was that you can routinely get into these 5-3, 6-4 games and you can have a bad game on any given night. 
    The Flyers (I was at the record-breaker btw at Garden, Tom Songin and Mike Milbury scored goals for the B's that day) streak was ridiculous and while parity may exist on some levels in today's NHL--I still see the teams with systems or plans with only 3 or 4 losses, and it's the usual suspects. The B's are a consistent hockey team with a plan. Chicago has followed its plan as well and has some super players on its roster. Talent is talent. Edmonton, to me, was the team that probably should have had an amazing win-tie streak, but the Flyers streak was just amazing to me for it's timing late 70s/early 80s. If anything, the 12-team league should have also had a ridiculously long undefeated streak--Habs and Orr-Espo B's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Flyers streak was more amazing to me because of the era. The reality was that you can routinely get into these 5-3, 6-4 games and you can have a bad game on any given night. 
    The Flyers (I was at the record-breaker btw at Garden, Tom Songin and Mike Milbury scored goals for the B's that day) streak was ridiculous and while parity may exist on some levels in today's NHL--I still see the teams with systems or plans with only 3 or 4 losses, and it's the usual suspects. The B's are a consistent hockey team with a plan. Chicago has followed its plan as well and has some super players on its roster. Talent is talent. Edmonton, to me, was the team that probably should have had an amazing win-tie streak, but the Flyers streak was just amazing to me for it's timing late 70s/early 80s. If anything, the 12-team league should have also had a ridiculously long undefeated streak--Habs and Orr-Espo B's.

79-80 was also the yr of the WHL expansion too though. Where in almost all cases expansion teams normally suk How many wins did the Flyers get off those teams during the streak that season?  10-0-2. So, I don't think it's fair to say one streak is more amazing than the other. Both are extremely incredible & both deserve to be mentioned under the same breath.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

79-80 was also the yr of the WHL expansion too though. Where in almost all cases expansion teams normally suk How many wins did the Flyers get off those teams during the streak that season?  10-0-2. So, I don't think it's fair to say one streak is more amazing than the other. Both are extremely incredible & both deserve to be mentioned under the same breath.

True, but do the Hakws go undefeated if they play some top-end eastern conf. teams?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

True, but do the Hakws go undefeated if they play some top-end eastern conf. teams?

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter...You don't downplay a teams accomplishments over something they have no control over. They have control of the games they play & up to this point nobody has beaten them in regulation. That's my whole point on putting  an * beside something. You can do that with any record ever written. I just think it's petty to downplay something remarkable. The Hawks deserve accolades, the Flyers deserve accolade's not *'s. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

During the streak they only played the WHA teams 8 times - and the lowly Jets only once.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/teams/22/schedule/reg1980

Two of the three other WHA teams were playoff teams that year - Hartford and Edmonton. 5 of their 8 games against WHA teams in that stretch were aginst the Oilers and Whalers. I don't think you can use the WHA expansion and the results as a way to say they padded the numbers by playing lesser teams. 10 of the Hawks games have been against teams not currently in a playoff spot, so the weight is not much different (perhaps it favours the Flyers actually).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

During the streak they only played the WHA teams 8 times - and the lowly Jets only once.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/teams/22/schedule/reg1980

Two of the three other WHA teams were playoff teams that year - Hartford and Edmonton. 5 of their 8 games against WHA teams in that stretch were aginst the Oilers and Whalers. I don't think you can use the WHA expansion and the results as a way to say they padded the numbers by playing lesser teams. 10 of the Hawks games have been against teams not currently in a playoff spot, so the weight is not much different (perhaps it favours the Flyers actually).

You missed my point Red. I wasn't down playing what the Flyers did at all. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Before Garth Snow, no mandate for the refs to call a stricter game by the NHL, no shootouts to consider a win and no clutching n grabbing back in 79-80 or hybrid trap(s).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm finding it annoying.  Really tired of seeing it all the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I'm finding it annoying.  Really tired of seeing it all the time.

yes me too, get on with it ! I hope they lose.

Not too sure if they had to play in Montreal, New York, Boston, Pittsburgh and even Philly they would have the same record. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Chicago= A remarkable run! Really shocked by the attitude of some of you. Totally petty B.S! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

The gist of it is that the league has more parity now and it is tougher to go on a run like this as opposed to back then.

They would've been 18-0-6 back then instead of 21-0-3.  Either way, it's still 24 games without a regulation loss.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Exactly, we are comparing apples and oranges.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Doesn't matter...You don't downplay a teams accomplishments over something they have no control over. They have control of the games they play & up to this point nobody has beaten them in regulation. That's my whole point on putting  an * beside something. You can do that with any record ever written. I just think it's petty to downplay something remarkable. The Hawks deserve accolades, the Flyers deserve accolade's not *'s. 

Who's downplaying it? Holmgren stated that the Hawks accomplishment is more impressive than the Flyers and I am assessing his statement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Exactly, we are comparing apples and oranges.

Bingo...not sure why Holmgren would say something like that publically.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

In response to jmwalters's comment:

They would've been 18-0-6 back then instead of 21-0-3.  Either way, it's still 24 games without a regulation loss.

There was no such thing as playing for overtime when the Flyers had their run. I think it's fairly common in today's game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Who's downplaying it? Holmgren stated that the Hawks accomplishment is more impressive than the Flyers and I am assessing his statement.

When you say things like "Yea well they didn't play this team, or that team!" Or "The backup goalie played against the Hawks here, or there!" It's putting a * beside the accomplishment. That's downplaying it. The Hawks have no control over any of this stuff. What really bugs me is there's quite a few people on here that have no objectivity whatsoever & double standards is quite common. IF it was the B's that was on this streak & someone else was saying the samething about them YOU & I both know there'd be lots of bitchin about it. So, it irks me when it's OK for us Bruin fans to do it, but if the roles were reversed they'd be complaining about someone else trying to "downplay" the Bruin's.

A 21-0-3 record is a sick record! Regardless of who they played, & in what era. Philly's record is a sick record! Regardless of who they played & in what era. There's pro's & con's to both sides, but breaking either of them down is ridiculous. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

When you say things like "Yea well they didn't play this team, or that team!" Or "The backup goalie played against the Hawks here, or there!" It's putting a * beside the accomplishment. That's downplaying it. The Hawks have no control over any of this stuff. What really bugs me is there's quite a few people on here that have no objectivity whatsoever & double standards is quite common. IF it was the B's that was on this streak & someone else was saying the samething about them YOU & I both know there'd be lots of bitchin about it. So, it irks me when it's OK for us Bruin fans to do it, but if the roles were reversed they'd be complaining about someone else trying to "downplay" the Bruin's.

A 21-0-3 record is a sick record! Regardless of who they played, & in what era. Philly's record is a sick record! Regardless of who they played & in what era. There's pro's & con's to both sides, but breaking either of them down is ridiculous. 

Haters gonna hate Nite, you know that. Its over now anyway. Congrats to the Hawks on an excellent run. Now, on to Philly....