2013 Rookie of the Year race looks to be a good one.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

2013 Rookie of the Year race looks to be a good one.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/02/03/cory-conacher-leads-a-highly-competitive-rookie-scoring-race-in-the-early-season/

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/04/blues-tarasenko-named-rookie-of-the-month/

"Rookie scoring leaders (as of February 2, 2013):

1. Cory Conacher, T.B.: 8GP – 5G – 7A – 12PTS, +7

2. Vladimir Tarasenko, STL: 8GP – 5G – 5A – 10PTS, +6

3. Alex Galchenyuk, MTL: 7GP – 1G – 6A – 7PTS, +5

4. Nail Yakupov, EDM: 8GP – 5G – 1A – 6PTS, -5

T5. Brendan Gallagher, MTL: 6GP – 3G – 2A – 5PTS, +6

T5. Justin Schultz, EDM: 8GP – 2G – 3A – 5PTS, +2

T5. Marcus Foligno, BUF: 8GP – 1G – 4A – 5PTS, -2

T5. Paul Postma, WPG: 8GP – 1G – 4A – 5PTS, -2

T9. Jonathan Huberdeau, FLA: 7GP – 2G – 2A – 4PTS, +1

T9. Dougie Hamilton, BOS: 8GP – 0G – 4A – 4PTS, -1.

Four others tied for 11th with 3 points, including Mikael Granlund.

Eight others tied for 15th with 2 points, including Mikhail Grigorenko, Mika Zibanejad, and Jonas Brodin."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21622242/vladamir-tarasenko-leads-stacked-class-of-nhl-rookies-

Hamilton could still get in there points wise but the Bruins would need tp improve its PP immensely. This crop is good and needed with the cap going down next fall.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: 2013 Rookie of the Year race looks to be a good one.

I say it will be Tarasenko

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

It's funny you bring this up San...I was looking at the TB roster because they have far and away scored the most goals this season, and noticed Conacher had five.  Not bad for an undrafted kid!

Which brought me to wonder about past players who were undrafted but had good NHL careers - and there are many...Peverly, Oates, Clarkson, Penner, Dupuis, Berube, Courtnall, Otto, Kerr and Mullen to name a few.  Goes to show you how subjective talent evaluation can be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Ah yah suddenly Saturdays matinee against, Right on the Bruins heels in the standings, Lighting looks interesting. Tampa has scored the most goals and only let in two more goals compared to Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAVESTAPLETON86. Show DAVESTAPLETON86's posts

.yeah being on the bruins pp does nobody's +/- any good .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Being on the PP does no one's +\- any good.  PP goals don't count for +\-, though I believe you eat a minus if you're on for a SHG against.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lots of rooks with fast starts, with Tarasenko and Galchenyuk leading the way in my estimation.  Hamilton gets some credit too - his quality start is about more than numbers.  But then, fast starts are deceiving and it is waaaay too early to suggest that this is a trend that will persist.  Just because 'Dawg started this thread...take NCAA defenseman Justin Schultz.  After four games, he looked like he was going to continue his torrid play from the AHL - 2-3-5 in four games.  He's now 2-3-5 in 9 games, or, put another way, he had two two-point games early and in his other 7 games has managed just one assist.

Yakupov has been on the high light reels for scoring key goals.  The Gagner-Hemsky-Yakupov line is getting killed 5on5, though.  They have 22 points combined (a combined 7 PPG) but they're -15 combined.

Conacher's a great story and a storied name.  I think he's going to be RoY if he stays on that line.  I can't decide if I think he's Mike Letestu (scored in bunches then tailed off hard) or a potential Adam Oates (or any of those other guys Hangnail lists).

Before this race is over, I think you'll see Granlund, Silfverberg, and maybe Zibanejad making some noise.  In the end, I'll say your finalists will be Tarasenko (key role on a top team), Conacher (playing with top flight scorers), and Hamilton (will score enough, and play solidly for a team that will get a lot of profile as a top contender).  Galchenyuk and Yakupov will be close and in that order.  Schultz will finish with about the same number of points as Hamilton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Schultz will finish with about the same number of points ,Hamilton."

Poor Sgt. Schultz just gets no respect at all. Galchenyuk to me looks like he will be the one that stays consistent, his confidence with NHL defensman draped on him is what sets him apart from the rest of the forwards.