2014-15

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

2014-15

Bored?  Okay, try this one.

Right now the Bruins have all of three guys on the books for 2014-15 and one of them is Marc Savard (McQuaid and Chara are the others).  You can probably add Krejci to that list.  Marchand and Seguin are likely to be around thanks to as-yet-unsigned second or, in Marchand's case, third contracts.  Bergeron and Seidenberg will be UFAs that year.  Everything else is up in the air.

So - to avoid this turning into a shopping spree where everyone constructs a fantasy team (yawn), I'll try to ask a very specific question:

Which players on the current roster, or among the current prospects, do you see playing in Boston in 2014-15? 

Here's the current list of players from Cap Geek (signed prospects listed below the NHL roll-up, for those who haven't been there): http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

Assume the Cap growth slows with the new CBA, so the Cap is $66M.  Also assume no cap shenanigan retirement deals exist - they'll be gone in this round of negotiations ("After the age of 35, a player's actual salary cannot be less than the average salary calculated for salary cap purposes").

Feel free to construct lines to support the argument, but try to resist the temptation to say 'and on Seguin's left wing, Ovechkin will score 90!'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: 2014-15

Top line: Ovechkin-Crosby-Tom Brady.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
                               Marchand-Bergeron-Sauve
                                  Caron-Spooner-Seguin
                               MacDermind-Campbell-Paille

Chara-Siedenberg
                                    Hamilton-Ference
                                      McQuaid-Cross

Rask-Khudobin

Thomas refuses to take a pay cut to stay so Chiarelli is forced to make a very, very tough decision because he had to pay Horton, Siedenberg and Bergeron. Spooner, Sauve, MacDermind, Campbell and Paille are in ready or not because they are cheaper.

Boychuk, Kampfer, Bartkowski, Cohen or Alexandrov are either the 7th Dman or got traded at the deadline in 2012 or 2013.

PS. Too lazy to put the numbers in right now...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeg4. Show jeg4's posts

You seriously think that Seguin is going to be a third line wing playing with a couple of stiffs in 2014?  If so, he may be a bigger bust than Daigle.

The people who will definitely be on the team;  Chara, Seguin
    People who definitely will not: Thornton, Thomas

The rest is up in the air and impossible to predict with trades, FA, injury, etc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Lucic gone

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is the year (at the latest) when the tough choices we keep debating would have to be made.  Bergeron will be UFA.  Krejci will be either half-way through the contract he signs in the next year or he'll be UFA.  Seguin will be in his fifth year - no longer a prospect and two years from UFA himself (if the CBA remains similar).  Money might get awfully tight if they're all playing to potential.

Also implicity here is the fate of the oft-discussed prospects.  Spooner and Knight will be through their EL deals (one year jr. doesn't count, so three years...), and the whack of prospects will have either s--t or gotten kicked off the pot.  All those college defensemen forced to fall back on their educations....

I think the top two lines fit one of these two options:

Lucic-Seguin-Horton                       Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
    Marchand-Bergeron-XX                    Marchand-Bergeron-xxx

and the D looks even more different:

Chara-Hamilton
    McQuaid-XX
    XX-XX

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: 2014-15:
    [QUOTE]Top line: Ovechkin-Crosby-Tom Brady.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Now you're just being difficult.

Or maybe you're scripting a hockey version of that old Joe Montana pick-up commercial?

Can you skate?  No.
    Can you hit? No.
    Can you shoot?  No.
    Can you stickhandle? No.
    Can you backcheck?  No.
    Can you kill penalties? No.
    Can you pass?  [pauses.  pushes up visor]  Pass?  Yeah.  I can pass.

[cue montage of Brady firing laser breakaway passes, slap-passes from the point, spin-o-rama cross-crease feeds etc.]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Given Chiarelli's track record of building up the middle, perhaps Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin remain. I see either Kelly or Campbell centering the 4th, but both won't be here.

In net, Rask will be gone b/c they'll stick with Thomas until he completely breaks down.

On wing, my bet is Horton and Marchand stay, Lucic, Pouliot and Peverly go. Thornton retires. A couple guys make it to the bigs.

On D, Chara, Corvo and Seidenberg remain. Boychuck, Ference and McQuaid all gone. Kampfer survives trade talk.

Here goes...keep in mind new faces won't be exact, but you get the drift on type of player, talent level, age at that time and general salary demands.

Vanek-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Spooner
    Torres-Seguin-Khokhlachev
    Eager-Kelly-Paille

Chara-Clitsome
    Seidenberg-Hamilton
    Corvo-Kampfer

Khudobin-Thomas

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Fascinating ideas, asmaha.  But I think they are committed to keeping McQuaid, giving him a 3 yr.  And Peverly just keeps getting better.   They may drop Campbell but I hope not.  He brings a lot.  And I agree that Sieds will still be here-- he is a rock.  No cup 2011 without him.

Lucic in the playoffs seemed to be losing whatever touch he had.  He was missing checks, passes, shots, everything.  Skating constipated.  If he continues like that, I suspect he will be gone by trade deadline 2012.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

By the time Bergeron becomes a UFA, there may be a new team in Quebec City.  And he MAY be in love with the idea with playing in his hometown.  Maybe. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

[QUOTE]Given Chiarelli's track record of building up the middle, perhaps Krejci, Bergeron and Seguin remain. I see either Kelly or Campbell centering the 4th, but both won't be here. In net, Rask will be gone b/c they'll stick with Thomas until he completely breaks down. On wing, my bet is Horton and Marchand stay, Lucic, Pouliot and Peverly go. Thornton retires. A couple guys make it to the bigs. On D, Chara, Corvo and Seidenberg remain. Boychuck, Ference and McQuaid all gone. Kampfer survives trade talk. Here goes...keep in mind new faces won't be exact, but you get the drift on type of player, talent level, age at that time and general salary demands. Vanek-Krejci-Horton Marchand-Bergeron-Spooner Torres-Seguin-Khokhlachev Eager-Kelly-Paille Chara-Clitsome Seidenberg-Hamilton Corvo-Kampfer Khudobin-Thomas
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Torres? That wouldn't be Raffe I hope. Hopefully he disappears in the Arizona desert before he ends somebody's career and is never heard from again!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2014-15 : Torres? That wouldn't be Raffe I hope. Hopefully he disappears in the Arizona desert before he ends somebody's career and is never heard from again!
    Posted by 49thparallel[/QUOTE]

Just seeing if anyone was paying attention.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I would personally love to see guys like Ference, Lucic, Peverly and Campbell stay...but trades need to happen somehow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

Cokelashev and Dougie (aka Doug)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

When in doubt... That's four years in the future... At center = Bergeron, Seguin, Kreji.. [at their peak]; Wings= Horton, Marchand,McKnight, Sauve, Spooner, Peverly,Lucic, ; Defense= Chara[ near the end], MCQuaid. [at peak], Hamilton [ stepping up], Button [ solid and fast]... Goalie= Rask, { Timmy will be gone this year or next], Khudobin [ he might bolt after one year as backup]