22 = no fire

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

22 = no fire

After Savard got smoked, people wondered why nothing was done.  For almost a year now, people have been talking about it, going over it, and questioning why Cooke wasn't decapitated by the Bruins "enforcer".  Many have excused Thornton because he was on the bench.

The hit on Marchand tonight was borderline at best.  It was dangerous, and might be colored dirty by some.  What did the Bruins enforcer, who was ten feet from the play, do?  He yelled.  The guy who is paid to protect and serve gave a wonderful tongue lashing.

If they insist on putting an enforcer on the roster and insist on playing him, for the love of God can they get a guy who will stand up for his teammates and become a deterrent? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: 22 = no fire

at least Mcgrattan would of sent a better message then a tongue lashing or better yet go pick up Janssen for Ryder deal with St. Louis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Ho Hum, yawn.... more drivel from "experts". Legit 2 minute (and mild) boarding call. And Brad can expect more of the same with his game. And I do like his style. I believe that McG has not yet played a game for the B's in his career, but I do look forward to it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to 22 = no fire:
    [QUOTE]After Savard got smoked, people wondered why nothing was done.  For almost a year now, people have been talking about it, going over it, and questioning why Cooke wasn't decapitated by the Bruins "enforcer".  Many have excused Thornton because he was on the bench. The hit on Marchand tonight was borderline at best.  It was dangerous, and might be colored dirty by some.  What did the Bruins enforcer, who was ten feet from the play, do?  He yelled.  The guy who is paid to protect and serve gave a wonderful tongue lashing. If they insist on putting an enforcer on the roster and insist on playing him, for the love of God can they get a guy who will stand up for his teammates and become a deterrent? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Come On Man! I didn't see the hit that way.. I think that Marchand was a little off balance going into the boards , actually made it worse than it looked.. Kulikov is not a dirty player and Marchand probably was a little stunned by it but I would not classify it dirty. The guy only got two minutes ..not even a major for boarding.. 

Plus Thorton punches the little guy like that in the last five minutes of a game and its  a suspension.. for what?  This is hockey not shinny.. I had no problem with the hit..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

the score was 2-1 at the time, why take a retaliatory penalty and risk florida tying it??

winning games is more important. penalty was called, marchand wasnt hurt. it ends there,

by the way it wouldnt have been a bad hit if marchand didnt lose an edge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 22 = no fire:[QUOTE]In Response to 22 = no fire : Come On Man! I didn't see the hit that way.. I think that Marchand was a little off balance going into the boards , actually made it worse than it looked.. Kulikov is not a dirty player and Marchand probably was a little stunned by it but I would not classify it dirty. The guy only got two minutes ..not even a major for boarding..  Plus Thorton punches the little guy like that in the last five minutes of a game and its  a suspension.. for what?  This is hockey not shinny.. I had no problem with the hit..Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

Can't wait for the NAS's goon spin that might have cost the Bruins the game for the extar 5Mins. PC has Mcgratton on a two way spin when ever he wants. Marchand cashed in on an easy one w/o the help of dancethon Shawn.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

The hit was very dangerous.  Marchand was 3-4 feet from the boards and a bit off balance.  He was whiplashed and then his head smacked to boards, jolting sideways.  He could have been concussed.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Thornton only fights pre-arranged, staged fights. If fighting has to occur in hockey - and i wish it didn't - it should occur at moments like these; it should be a real emotional response in aid of a team mate.  Not, a wink and a nudge and a 'wanna go?" between two 'enforcers' at the face-off dot. (see: Rodeo Clown). In this case, Marchand was in a compromised position being 'helped' face first into the boards. The hit should not be judged on the outcome. A half-inch either way and Marchand's leaving on a stretcher. As for Thornton, it's like the bikers say, 'a brother doesn't ask 'why', there is no why'

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Damn Didnt see it is Marchand allright?>??????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

To me, part of being a good enforcer, which I feel Thornton is, is being able to pick your spots and fight when you think it will help your team win.  I had no problem with him not responding last night in a 2-1 game, and the guy who hit Marchand is not known as a dirty player.  Now, if it were Cooke, or Ulfie, or Dale Hunter...then yea, Thorty has to go after him.  Pick your spots and respond with a purpose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Funny, the picture you've selected as your avatar, 'hangnail', the melee it depicts, was started by Terry O'Reilly (the guy Thornton should aspire to be..alas....) responding to a fan who was hitting another Bruin with a hocket stick. That fan wasn't known as a dirty player either...

Thornton has to get in this guy's face, at least...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Thought 17 was the epitomy of "no fire" last night

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Not only " no fire", but also no sensible play. Thornton garnered some early goals and in his mind he is now a scorer.His game is lousy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Thorton's a goal scorer now.  He can't risk breaking his hands.  Didn't you get the memo?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

I'm with NAS on this one. Just because Marchard didn't get a concussion, there should of been something done immediately by the Bruins.  It was a dangerous hit. Don't give me the Bruins score at the time either, I would argue if the B's stood up for their teamate the final score could of been 5 - 1.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Re: 22 = no fire:
    [QUOTE]Funny, the picture you've selected as your avatar, 'hangnail', the melee it depicts, was started by Terry O'Reilly (the guy Thornton should aspire to be..alas....) responding to a fan who was hitting another Bruin with a hocket stick. That fan wasn't known as a dirty player either... Thornton has to get in this guy's face, at least...
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

If you're questioning Thorton's willingness to stick up for his teammates then you haven't been watching him closely enough through his career.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Thornton's most inspired play happened when McGratton was threatening to take his job. Now, he's just looking like the ol too-comfortable Shawn 'Bum Check*' Thornton. This is not to say that I like McGratton's game either....

* - the bum check - when you turn your body 180 degress at the point of impact, and 'bum check' a guy. This way, Thornton can use the player that he has neither immobilized nor separated from the puck, to get a push-off from, such is his lack of skating power from a stopped position. He can't afford to stop, because starting takes him so long. This is also why he is a terrible body checker; no leg strength, all arms and shoulders for fighting, no thrust, no push, can't explode into checks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

If Thornton did the things you're asking of him, he'd be out of the league.
    Can the instigator penalty and see if things change. Thornton can't simply grab a guy and start wailing on him... they have to agree to fight. SO if Thornton is yelling at someone, and challenging them to fight, and the guy whimpers off being escourted to the penalty box, that's a problem with the rules, not Thornton.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]If Thornton did the things you're asking of him, he'd be out of the league. Can the instigator penalty and see if things change. Thornton can't simply grab a guy and start wailing on him... they have to agree to fight. SO if Thornton is yelling at someone, and challenging them to fight, and the guy whimpers off being escourted to the penalty box, that's a problem with the rules, not Thornton.
    Posted by Tommy617[/QUOTE]

What the heck are you talking about?  They have to agree to fight?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 22 = no fire : If you're questioning Thorton's willingness to stick up for his teammates then you haven't been watching him closely enough through his career.   
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Can you give us an example of Thornton sticking up for his teammates?

Remember when Chris Neil decided to fight Seidenberg?  Remember when Chara fought Neil the next game?

Remember when Matt Cooke knocked out Savard?  Remember when Thornton danced with him one time, right at the beginning of the game and not another hair was touched on Cooke's head?

As much as I harass Savard for being a wimp, there have been a few occasions where he's jumped in (albeit still wearing his gloves) after something bad happened.  Thornton doesn't do that.  Ever. 

His role is not to score goals.  His role is not to kill penalties. His role is to keep the peace and fight.  People used to give Gretzky a pass because if you even dreamt about hitting him, Dave Semenko would beat you up at breakfast.  Thankfully nothing happened on this play (as far as we know), but Thornton shouldn't be erring on the side of caution. 

"Gon' blast squeeze first ask questions last" (Biggie Smalls)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]To me, part of being a good enforcer, which I feel Thornton is, is being able to pick your spots and fight when you think it will help your team win.  I had no problem with him not responding last night in a 2-1 game, and the guy who hit Marchand is not known as a dirty player.  Now, if it were Cooke, or Ulfie, or Dale Hunter...then yea, Thorty has to go after him.  Pick your spots and respond with a purpose.

Another part is being a deterrent.  "Oh man, I'm not going to hit anyone tonight.  The last time guy who threw a borderline check on a Bruin got his nose broken by Thornton.  Forget that."

Instead, substitute "spoken to meanly" for "his nose broken".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

NAS...I agree that someone should have responded, but there is an undeniable pattern to these kind of incidents. The Marchand example is only the latest, but not the worst. When you consider the fact that the lack of a response is the norm from this team, you can only reasonably come to one conclusion. To pick out Thornton is somewhat unfair to him - you don't have to be the designated enforcer to stand up for one of your team-mates. Maybe they're just doing what the coach wants them to, which is nothing. What else could it be???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes, someone else should have if Thornton were on the bench.  He was on the ice, however.  Considering 99% of the reason he's in the NHL is to fight (1% to make guys laugh in the locker room...he's pretty funny), he should lead the charge every single time without fail.

We've seen the effect of concussions all to often as Bruins fans.  I think if there is even the hint of a possibility of a questionable/dirty hit, the gloves should come off and the fists should fly.

Nope.  Thornton yells.  Ooooooh.  He yelled.  My mother used to yell.  My father didn't.  I didn't much mind crossing my mother.  I never crossed my father.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.  Goon hockey is losing hockey because we'll be on the PK all game.  Can't have Thorty picking fights every time a teammate gets checked.  He does a good job of picking his spots and providing a spark when the team needs it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.  Goon hockey is losing hockey because we'll be on the PK all game.  Can't have Thorty picking fights every time a teammate gets checked.  He does a good job of picking his spots and providing a spark when the team needs it.

I agree that goon hockey is bad.  I'm not talking about goon hockey.  I'm talking about protecting the players on your team.  Players don't worry about questionable hits on the Bruins because the worst case is that Shawn Thornton will yell.

Sections
Shortcuts