+25

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

+25

Crazy stat for 18 games into the season - the Bruins have scored 25 more goals than they've surrendered.  Last year, they were +51.  Only the Canucks were better at +77.  4 one goal losses, 2 two goal losses, and 1 three goal loss; one 7 goal win, one 6 goal win, and 3 four goal wins.  Impressive for a team people still think of as challenged to score.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: +25

The team is just as good as last year and just as resilient. Which should scare almost most teams in the league. Can't wait to see the Detroit game in person. Hope they beat Mon. so they carry the streak into Friday. This team is looking very good top to bottom.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

For the season, +100 is not out of the question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to +25:
    [QUOTE]Crazy stat for 18 games into the season - the Bruins have scored 25 more goals than they've surrendered.  Last year, they were +51.  Only the Canucks were better at +77.  4 one goal losses, 2 two goal losses, and 1 three goal loss; one 7 goal win, one 6 goal win, and 3 four goal wins.  Impressive for a team people still think of as challenged to score.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    With the emergance of Seguin & Kelly scoring like he is. I don't think there's a team in the league that can match the B's top 3 lnes & by the end of the season. Their 4th line will end up with more points than any other as well. Maybe Pittsburg if Sid gets back, but Neal is going to play with either Malkin or Crosby. So, that's only really 2 lines. The other scary thing is that DK is still in a funk, or fighting an injury. What happens when he comes around? WOW!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Pitt is the only team that scares me in the east. All this talk about Washington but that's every year. Pitt really scares me, after watching their team, they can win (I think) without Crosby. Complete teams win championships and right now there are 3 other teams that have that (in my opinion). They are Det, L.A., and Pitt. I would love to see a final 4 of that come playoff time. It's going to be a great season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: +25:
    [QUOTE]The team is just as good as last year and just as resilient. Which should scare almost most teams in the league. Can't wait to see the Detroit game in person. Hope they beat Mon. so they carry the streak into Friday. This team is looking very good top to bottom.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]
    I saw an interview with a NYI assistant coach tonight and he commented that this Bruins team is probably even better than the team we saw win game 7. He also commented that Boston shows other teams that it's hard to win but if you're willing to put in the effort and maintain your system, the wins will come. He finished by saying that playing the Bruins was a good way for the young NYI squad to see how winners play hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

While I agree that the B's show how it is you win hockey I don't see how they are showing how you beat them. Teams don't figure out how to be more physical than them. It just doesn't happen. They are who they are. Physical, demanding, etc...they are a team unlike the rest of the league. I honestly feel like there are only 3 other teams that can skate with this team. For the next couple years even. Call me a homer call me whatever I don't really care. The Bruins have a good future in place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]While I agree that the B's show how it is you win hockey I don't see how they are showing how you beat them. Teams don't figure out how to be more physical than them. It just doesn't happen. They are who they are. Physical, demanding, etc...they are a team unlike the rest of the league. I honestly feel like there are only 3 other teams that can skate with this team. For the next couple years even. Call me a homer call me whatever I don't really care. The Bruins have a good future in place.

Your a homer you whatever.  Sorry I could not resist.

I do agree with you point.  I think the Bruins tend to be underrated due to the youth in the top 6.  All of the top 6 should have their best season ahead of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

What a play by Seguin on the first goal. Another shutout for TT. The Bruins just put on a clinic tonight. This team is scary good. Scary for the rest of the league, but sheer joy for us. Damn, PC has done a helluva job assembling this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Pitt is the only team that scares me in the east. All this talk about Washington but that's every year. Pitt really scares me, after watching their team, they can win (I think) without Crosby. Complete teams win championships and right now there are 3 other teams that have that (in my opinion). They are Det, L.A., and Pitt. I would love to see a final 4 of that come playoff time. It's going to be a great season.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE] I haven't seen Pittsburgh play this year but yes they certainly are doing well and with the addition of Crosby could be a tough opponent.I wonder if Pittsburgh's D and goaltending is as solid as the B's.The Bruin D is solid but I think becomes even better in the playoffs with Chara and Seidenberg likely playing half the game.Crosby could certainly be the difference. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to +25 : With the emergance of Seguin & Kelly scoring like he is. I don't think there's a team in the league that can match the B's top 3 lnes & by the end of the season. Their 4th line will end up with more points than any other as well. Maybe Pittsburg if Sid gets back, but Neal is going to play with either Malkin or Crosby. So, that's only really 2 lines. The other scary thing is that DK is still in a funk, or fighting an injury. What happens when he comes around? WOW!!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE] Yes,Kelly is playing well,with what we have on the first two lines I am not particularly concerned if the 3rd line puts up many points,obviously if they can chip in regularly it is a bonus.Peverly and Kelly were great additions last year and both are well suited to 3rd line duty.Of course, they could score more if used differently [on one of the top 2 lines] but I really like those two stabilizing that 3rd line.Will they need a boost come playoff time ? I am not convinced Caron or Pouilot is the 3rd piece to that line but it certainly seems to be working for the time being .

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

When PC made the deal to let Kessel walk, the story was largely about replacing his offense from within - and when that didn't happen and they had that incredibly snake-bitten season, all the Kessel fans were quick to mock that strategy. 

This year, with Ryder and Recchi gone, and a slow offensive start, there were a few people resurrecting that line of thinking - they shouldn't have trusted that the personnel they have could fill the gap; they should have chased a veteran goal scorer (Whitney anyone?).  But this was a perfect situation for growth from within - Peverley and Kelly have been around long enough to be full integrated into the team, and they've gone from being veteran depth for the playoffs to significant contributors.  As the season gets close to the quarter pole and you get the "on pace for" arguments - tantalizing as they are when things are going well - it looks like both Kelly and Peverley will have more productive seasons than Recchi or Ryder had last year.  Kelly isn't likely to keep scoring at this pace, but if he does, he could approach 30 and 60 points (and unfortunately, I think he'd be an ex-Bruin after the playoffs if that happens). Peverley could be good for 20 and 50.

Seguin...well, his next assist he matches his numbers from last year. So everything he does from that point on is making up for the lost production from Recchi and Ryder.  Right now, he's the straw because he makes that Bergeron line so much more explosive, which makes life easier on the KHL line and opens up opportunities for the third line to be more aggressive and less of a shut down line.  Crazy what the potential for this team might be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just for fun:

In 2011
    Recchi and Ryder had 32 goals and 89 points combined.
    Peverely, Kelly and Seguin had 43 goals and 91 points combined.

Total 2011 production from those five players was 75 goals and 180 points.

2012 'on pace'
    Kelly - 32 goals, 59 points
    Peverley - 20 goals, 50 points
    Seguin - 50 goals, 96 points

Total 'on pace' for those three players: 102 goals, 205 points.

Just those three - not even taking into account things like Marchand's continuing climb in points, better numbers for Bergeron playing with Marchand and Seguin, or Corvo's possible 40+ point season (9 points in 18 games is 25% better than Kaberle's 9 in 24 last regular season, and he seems to be finding a groove - if not the net) - Just these three would, at their current production, give the Bruins 25 more goals and something like a 14% improvement over the five players from last year.

I know "on pace" is fiction, but it helps to quantify what we're seeing from them right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Obviously this Bruins team is playing well in most games. But, let's not get carried away too soon. Imo they can play well against any team in the league, but they have some weak spots. Why Claude is playing Pouliot over Caron , on Kelly's line, must be to justify the $1.0 that is invested. Pouliot is big and fast, but the only team member who mishandles the puck more is Thornton. Even "stone hands" Paille is far better in handling, passing and controlling the puck. In addition, Boychuck is still icing the puck too often, makes too many passes to his alternate defenseman; takes himself out of the play trying to make hits like last night; so he still needs  to play with more smarts [unreal expectation ?] Kamfer is still somewhat "shaky", but Hamilton is still two years away. I'm not as sold on this defense group as others seem to be, and my perspective on Thornton is well documented.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

Rich Peverly has to improve his productivity percentage on the rush. He needs to find a way to get passes through to teammates, or shots through to the net more consistently. He's much better this year at keeping his head up and looking for opportunities, but he's still lacking in "finish" (passing or shooting) too often.

Seguin has to find a way to stay under control better when he's playing without the puck. The effort's there but the defensive technique isn't quite there yet.

I will also give him a pass for bailing out on contact more times last night than he has all season because of the nature of the game (blowout). The rush he made on the first goal (and the finishing pass) was like few I have seen by a Bruin player EVER, but his ole' maneuvers to avoid contact are unfortunately similarly unique. Once in a while is fine. Last night was an instance of "bad habits creeping in".

I love the fact that Claude switched up the lines toward the end of the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"not particularly concerned if the 3rd line puts up many points,obviously if they can chip in regularly it is a bonus. I am not convinced Caron or Pouilot is the 3rd piece to that line but it certainly seems to be working for the time being."

Antime a GM has a chance to improve a team he should, especially with Krejci still in his funk. Kelly, to my elated pleasant surprise, is carrying the offense on the 3rd line now he who needs a finisher on his wing. Pouliot just can't figure it out so he shouldn't be taking up Caron's development time. Apparently according to some Benoit his a hitter just not seeing it.

"with the addition of Crosby could be a tough opponent. I wonder if Pittsburgh's D and goaltending is as solid as the B's.Crosby could certainly be the difference."

I remember the Bruins offense exploding Pittsburgh last season with yes Blake Wheeler imagine what the Boston top 6 will do this year. Staal worked the the Bruins a few times last season to me he is the key when Pittsburgh comes a calling. Once again Malkin has shown the Penguins can win without Crosby as in the past Pittsburgh has a better record without Sir Sid and Malkin in the lineup compared to the reverse scenario. Funny Pittsburgh fans wanted Geno and his phat contract gone last season good thing he is still there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The comparison to last year is excellent Book.  The best reference was to the importance of the second line.  The KHL line and Kelly line are the benefactors of the point up tick.  

Meanwhile Ryder is on pace to match last year's point total! Dallas is a mystery, gives away Neal in a trade then later signs Ryder to a contract. At least they have Souray! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Defense is a different story, bogie, sure.  More and more, it looks like Kampfer IS Hunwick - Michigan grad, smallish, quick, promising start in limited action, second year when he has more of a role...not so good to date.  But, you know, shutout last night even with Boychuk making some odd decisions.  It may just be a case of managing expectations with JB - he is what he is, and that will hurt you sometimes, but this is a team that can cover for him when needed, and he adds enough to make it worthwhile.  There may not be much value in investing what you'd need to invest in upgrading.

I don't think I agree on the logic re: Pouliot, though I'd prefer to see Caron get the lion's share of those minutes.  Gotta remember a few things about Pouliot that I think get forgotten too easily when people say he was a 4th overall pick.
    He's not a scorer and he never has been.  Never had 20 goals in a season as a pro, and only had 30+ once as a junior.   He's not Michael Ryder; he's making about the same as a guy on an EL contract (Caron's contract is $900K + $200K in potential bonuses) and he's 25, not 30. I bring up Ryder because he's basically in Ryder's old spot and because the Bruins' current cap flexibility is almost exactly the difference between Pouliot's $1M and Ryder's $4M. Put Pouliot and Caron together and they're costing half what Ryder cost.  If they combine for 18 goals, that's a win.  I think they're just giving him a real chance, and they'll give Caron a real chance, we'll see what happens. Competition is good.

A last thought that connects back to the top: last year, in 24 games, Kelly looked offensively inept (even in the playoffs I though he was a 2 on 1 killer) and had 2-3-5.  Peverley went 4-3-7 in 23 games.  Pouliot is on game 13 and has 2-0-0.   He's not that far off where they were if you think of this as his adjustment period.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Pouliot is on game 13 and has 2-0-0.   He's not that far off where they were if you think of this as his adjustment period."

What competition ? Caron has 3 points 11 games, is a far better passer from when he was  center in the "Q" and no one can convince me that Benoit can separate a player from the puck better than Jordan. Sure competition is better but the younger draft pick to be developed is doing a better job with those minutes.

Eh who knows Chiarelli might just flip a switch when he deems Caron has taken that spot and sends Pouliot packing or just keep him as an extra forward.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

[QUOTE]"not particularly concerned if the 3rd line puts up many points,obviously if they can chip in regularly it is a bonus. I am not convinced Caron or Pouilot is the 3rd piece to that line but it certainly seems to be working for the time being." Antime a GM has a chance to improve a team he should, especially with Krejci still in his funk. Kelly, to my elated pleasant surprise, is carrying the offense on the 3rd line now he who needs a finisher on his wing. Pouliot just can't figure it out so he shouldn't be taking up Caron's development time. Apparently according to some Benoit his a hitter just not seeing it. "with the addition of Crosby could be a tough opponent. I wonder if Pittsburgh's D and goaltending is as solid as the B's.Crosby could certainly be the difference." I remember the Bruins offense exploding Pittsburgh last season with yes Blake Wheeler imagine what the Boston top 6 will do this year. Staal worked the the Bruins a few times last season to me e is the key when Pittsburgh comes a calling. Once again Malkin has shown the Penguins can win without Crosby as in the past Pittsburgh has a better record without Sir Sid and Malkin in the lineup compared to the reverse scenario. Funny Pittsburgh fans wanted Geno and his phat contract gone last season good thing he is still there.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Krejci is no longer in a funk and the last few games has played some of his best hockey since the playoffs. He's trying to attack more on the power play and he's even been hitting some people lately. He deserves credit for the adjustments.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Yep to all. Just feel that Kelly's line, with Caron, could be the best shutdown line in the league. we'll need them when we play teams like Pittsburgh, so I'd prefer to see them establish the chemistry that was developing. agree that Boychuck is what you see, is what you get.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]While I agree that the B's show how it is you win hockey I don't see how they are showing how you beat them. Teams don't figure out how to be more physical than them. It just doesn't happen. They are who they are. Physical, demanding, etc...they are a team unlike the rest of the league. I honestly feel like there are only 3 other teams that can skate with this team. For the next couple years even. Call me a homer call me whatever I don't really care. The Bruins have a good future in place.
    Callo, to elaborate, he said the Bruins are a team that does all of the little things which add up to wins. They work hard and pay attention to detail. That formula can often beat more talented teams. The Caps seem to prove that theory every year when they get knockd out of the playoffs by a seemingly less talented team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Solid analysis BookBoy. What you're suggesting is that the team is more explosive than last year ... or at least not as offensively challenged as people perceive them to be. Agree and better yet, you use actual data to bolster your points. (Sorry, I'm in grading mode with my students, hence the critique.)

There's no way Kelly continues his pace but it's clear Seguin (as BookBoy mentioned) is the difference-maker.

The D made me nervous last year and continues to make me nervous this year. Boychuk's Eddie Shore award in 2009 in the AHL earned him his few years in the big leagues. Like Kampfer and Bartkowski, I'm not convinced he's a legitimate NHLer. Too bad the Boris Valabik experiment failed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Yep to all. Just feel that Kelly's line, with Caron, could be the best shutdown line in the league. we'll need them when we play teams like Pittsburgh, so I'd prefer to see them establish the chemistry that was developing. agree that Boychuck is what you see, is what you get.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    Caron played well the last couple of times he played on the 3rd line but not so well that Pouilot didn't deserve a look.I agree with what you are saying, I guess I am looking at it from the point of view of how Ryder, in comparison  played in the playoffs ,but even if we had Ryder back he probably wouldn't be playing now the way he did in the playoffs.