3 B's invited to Team Canada Camp...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: 3 B's invited to Team Canada Camp...

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd say Bergeron is a lock, with Marchand having a better chance than Lucic.

Kind of shocked to see no Cam Ward, Jason Spezza and to a lesser extent Fleury, who even with his struggles I think will have a bounce back year. Ward and Spezza obviously coming off injuries but both are healthy now.

Cam ward surprises me.   Spezza Fleury dont.   James Neal ahead of Benn surprises me.  No dan girardi also surprises me.  

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps thinking of the chemistry between him and Crosby??? Thats suprising to me as well, because I think Benn is the better player and if Neal makes the team he probably wont be on a line with Crosby since there are better options. Also, I may be wrong, but cant Benn play both wing and center?  Would make more sense for face off purposes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The way TSN has the players listed includes "the other forwards" as group - they're the 14-23 forwards listed.  I think Lucic has as good a shot as any of them in that group, especially if he comes out scoring in the Fall, but there are only three guys in the 1-13 group that I think Lucic could conceivably bump down the depth chart: Mike Richards, Joe Thornton, and Marchand.  Richards hasn't had the elite scoring touch for the last few years - scores about as much as Lucic. Thornton and Team Canada have always had an uneasy relationship, and even in Davos, he hasn't been a great big ice player.  Marchand is Marchand.  Babcock might say to Claude: I'm taking one of the two; which one will stay out of the box?

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Phat-daddy can do it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The way TSN has the players listed includes "the other forwards" as group - they're the 14-23 forwards listed.  I think Lucic has as good a shot as any of them in that group, especially if he comes out scoring in the Fall, but there are only three guys in the 1-13 group that I think Lucic could conceivably bump down the depth chart: Mike Richards, Joe Thornton, and Marchand.  Richards hasn't had the elite scoring touch for the last few years - scores about as much as Lucic. Thornton and Team Canada have always had an uneasy relationship, and even in Davos, he hasn't been a great big ice player.  Marchand is Marchand.  Babcock might say to Claude: I'm taking one of the two; which one will stay out of the box?

Its not an allstar game as you are well aware.  I wouldnt take him over richards or marchand bc both are elite pk guys.   Canada has high end scoring from the forwards and defense.   i just dont see him making the team.  As a fan of both canada hockey and lucic i dont think he will be on the team.  Too many young guys ahead of him.  That can fly.   

kelv- crosby plays with dupi and kunitz.   Neal has a fantastic shot but we dont need him.   

Line1. Crosby-Hall-Perry

Line2. Stampkos-STL-Giroux

Line3. Toews-Tavares-Nash

Line4. Bergie-Marchand-Logan.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

International ice isn't Lake Erie.

Lucic is a great hockey player.

Not all Olympic hockey players are named Eric Flaim.

Instead of being happy that the B's big winger has been selected, people would prefer to be know-it-alls and say why he won't make the team.

Fxxxing people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Its not an allstar game as you are well aware.  I wouldnt take him over richards or marchand bc both are elite pk guys. 

You're going to need to bring all of your best PK guys.

Pat Kane is going to rip.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

International ice isn't Lake Erie.

Lucic is a great hockey player.

Not all Olympic hockey players are named Eric Flaim.

Instead of being happy that the B's big winger has been selected, people would prefer to be know-it-alls and say why he won't make the team.

Fxxxing people.

I agree.

But were you referring to the know-it-alls and Fxxxxing people as these two fine gentlemen or just other people in general ?

If it's these two great posters I'll have to withdraw my agreeing.

I can't see Lucic making it only because of the bigger ice surface, 

posted at 7/22/2013 8:05 PM EDT

• shuperman
    • First: 12/16/2005
    • Last: 7/22/2013
     As a fan of both canada hockey and lucic i dont think he will be on the team.  Too many young guys ahead of him.  That can fly.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

I agree.

But were you referring to the know-it-alls and Fxxxxing people as these two fine gentlemen or just other people in general ?

I didn't look back to see who said what.  Obviously Shupe and nite are at the top of my list of favorite people here, so there will be no childish stupidity that will ensue from my comments.  Neither of them would ever think I meant any harm towards them.

I think I need a break.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I didn't look back to see who said what.  Obviously Shupe and nite are at the top of my list of favorite people here, so there will be no childish stupidity that will ensue from my comments.  Neither of them would ever think I meant any harm towards them.

I think I need a break.

Yes, I agree that you are not childish or stupid to have meant shupe or nite . You are all man. Just clarifying with the thought of your post. 

And I agree with the break .........at least for me. It has become an "agreeing with everything" kind of forum. Stupid comments ( and there are a ton ) that are disputed are thought of as fighting ( or fraying ) while others who sit and say nothing are deemed respectable. 

HF boards would be proud of this blah, ho hum, boring, kiss azz posting.

Better idea is for me to take a break while you stay. The "don't say crap if the comments are dumb" style of posting is not for me. Apparently, it is for you.

Everyone, enjoy their summers . Group hug for all . I think everyone will agree that the door should not hit me in the azz on the way out.............but the majority won't say it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hope Lucic does make it, but going by hockey people's assessments the bigger ice surface is a concern. Now he may come to camp & be great at the Father David Bauer arena, C.O.P & the O' Oval;  those worries will no longer have any validity. I know I can't wait for the camp in Calgary and I'll do what Bad Hab did with regards to the prospects & let everyone know how the team looks. Especially the goalie's. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

Nite, it sounds like it may just be an orientation - no ice time at all. Has to do with insurance reasons.

[/QUOTE]

Don't know for sure Red, but they may have gotten this issue rectified. My buddy for one of the teams I play for has a brother in law who works maintainance at COP & Olympic Oval. He said that he was given a schedule to have the ice ready for Canada's Mens hockey team Aug 25-28. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

[QUOTE]

Its not an allstar game as you are well aware.  I wouldnt take him over richards or marchand bc both are elite pk guys.   Canada has high end scoring from the forwards and defense.   i just dont see him making the team.  As a fan of both canada hockey and lucic i dont think he will be on the team.  Too many young guys ahead of him.  That can fly.   

kelv- crosby plays with dupi and kunitz.   Neal has a fantastic shot but we dont need him.   

Line1. Crosby-Hall-Perry

Line2. Stampkos-STL-Giroux

Line3. Toews-Tavares-Nash

Line4. Bergie-Marchand-Logan.  

[/QUOTE]

Great post...many interchangeable parts...also very good on the PK with Bergeron, Marchand, Toews, and Couture.  I could see Hall being replaced for more experience/size as this roster although talented, may lack some bang if the going gets tough.   I'm glad that the US has an assortment of shutdown Dmen and better goaltending to mitigate Canada's juggernaut offense. Guys like Kessler and Callahan are going to have to hit the hell out of these guys to slow them down and get then off their game.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

An opinion piece about the myth of Ice Size in International Hockey competition...I look at this as a bit of an antidote to the  "Milan Lucic can't skate on the Big Ice" virus. Lucic will be on Team Canada, mostly because the entire hockey world is afraid of him - on any sized ice surface.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/recap/2970.html?tx_ttnews[pS]=1228086000&tx_ttnews[pL]=2678399&tx_ttnews[arc]=1&tx_ttnews[backPid]=187&cHash=34358868c3

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

(Ice) size is overrated

COLUMN: Big ice, small ice -- good players simply don’t care

29-12-08 Back Ottawa Ontario Canada The '09 World Juniors are on the smaller North American rink. Photo: IIHF/HHoF/Phil MacCallum

OTTAWA – The seemingly inevitable issue has been raised here at the 2009 IIHF World Junior Championship; who benefits from the narrow, NHL-sized rinks? The logical and highly predictable answer is Canada and the USA. The truth is, rink size is irrelevant as to who wins.

For a hockey fan, being in Canada at the time of year when the World Juniors and the NHL season intertwine is the best of times. The jet-lagged European visitor wakes up early, switches on The Sports Network (TSN) and gets all of last night’s NHL highlights, plus TSN’s impressive coverage of the ongoing IIHF event in the nation’s capital.

On Sunday morning I woke up to a discussion where my two good friends, Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire, agreed that the NHL-sized rink at Scotiabank Place (the home arena of the Ottawa Senators) works to the home team’s advantage.

The reasoning sounds logical. Canadian (and American) teams feel most at home on North American rinks, which are four metres narrower (60 x 26), while the European entries prefer to execute their game plans on the (for them) familiar 60 x 30 surfaces.

Unfortunately, the TSN panel didn’t provide any evidence or historical data that would back up that analysis. The reason for that is simple: there is none.

The whole mantra about “Canadians-have-an-advantage-on-small-rinks-and-Europeans-are-better-on-big-rinks” does not reflect reality. On the contrary, one could argue that Canadian teams very often play their best hockey on large IIHF-sized rinks in Europe, while the traditionally skillful Russian (and previously Soviet) teams have scored some of their most splendid victories in Canadian rinks.

Modern hockey history (from 1972) shows that the deciding factor behind virtually all wins is what it should be: the players’ individual skill and the teams’ overall quality.

Examples that support this theory are numerous.

You can go right back to the historic 1972 Summit Series between Team Canada and the Soviet Union. The Soviets, who had virtually no experience of playing on NHL rinks, won two and tied one out of the four games in Canada, while Team Canada won three times on the larger ice at Luzhniki Arena in Moscow, even though this was the first time most of the Canadians had ever seen a big rink.

Two of the USSR’s most memorable wins were accomplished on small rinks: the 8-1 victory over the host country in the 1981 Canada Cup final in Montreal and the 6-0 thrashing of the NHL All Stars at the Madison Square Garden in New York in 1979.

Fast forward to modern times. Canada has been international hockey’s most consistent performer in the last six-year period, with all its IIHF wins coming on international sized rinks. The 2002 Olympic gold medal was won in Salt Lake City, USA, but the rink was enlarged to meet IIHF standards. The 2003, 2004 and 2007 men’s World titles were won on big ice sheets in Helsinki, Prague and Moscow.

Conversely, Canada was not able to capitalize on the “advantage” of hosting the 2008 World Championship in Quebec City’s ancient and small Le Colisée. The 72nd World Championship--the first ever in Canada --was won by Russia, with all its players having learned their hockey fundamentals on big-ice rinks.

Furthermore, the Russian roster had 14 players who were not NHLers and who skated on the big rinks of the Russian league on a regular basis. Out of those 14 players, 10 (half the team) appeared in the gold medal game against Canada, which had a team comprised exclusively of NHLers.

On the other hand again, the biggest defeat that the Soviet Union’s “Big Red Machine” ever suffered was at the 1980 Olympics, on the international-sized rink in Lake Placid.

All of the above is also reflected in the history of the IIHF World Junior Championship. Eight out of Canada’s 14 World Junior gold medals have been won on Europe’s big rinks. And some of the most memorable Russian and Soviet U20 wins took place in Canada; Montreal 1978, Hamilton 1986, Winnipeg 1999, and Halifax 2003.

We can also dismiss the general view, mostly nurtured in Europe, that attractive hockey can't be played on a small rink. One of the best games ever, the 1975 New Year's Eve classic between the Montreal Canadiens and CSKA Moscow, was played on the Montreal Forum's small ice. And if you are tired of historical references, just go back to the May 18, 2008 gold medal game in Quebec City. When was the last time hockey fans were treated to a better and more spectacular show of speed, skill, and excitement?

One of the underlying myths in this never-ending discussion is that skilled players (as opposed to the grinders and role players) can excel better on a large ice surface. This is simply not true. A skilled player (and that goes for any team sport) has the ability to maneuver in minimal space. It is the less-skilled performer who needs more room for his awkward movements.

The shattering of the big rink vs. small rink myth is also very good news leading up to the 2010 Olympics. When the IIHF announced that the tournament in Vancouver would be played on an NHL-sized rink (in order to save money that would have to be spent on the enlarging of the arenas), there was a minor outcry from certain hockey people who somehow came to the following conclusions:

1) We can forget about matching the entertainment level we saw in Salt Lake City 2002 and in Turin 2006.

2) The decision also provides Canada and the United States with an immediate advantage as they are the ones most used to small rinks.

Those conclusions are incorrect. If the best teams play up to their capabilities in 2010, we may very well see the best hockey tournament ever. And the only advantage Canada and the United States may have will depend on whether they bring sufficiently skillful teams who perform up to par.

The same goes for the 2009 IIHF World Juniors. It’s the only thing that matters.

SZYMON SZEMBERG  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'd say Bergeron is a lock, with Marchand having a better chance than Lucic.

Kind of shocked to see no Cam Ward, Jason Spezza and to a lesser extent Fleury, who even with his struggles I think will have a bounce back year. Ward and Spezza obviously coming off injuries but both are healthy now.

I agree Bergy is a lock. Marchand is a long shot and Lucic is even a longer shot. I think either of them could help the team but the Canadian team is so deep so it will be tough for them to crack the line-up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

[QUOTE]
    I agree.

I think I need a break.

[/QUOTE]

If you didnt mean harm i wouldnt like you as much.   

Sections
Shortcuts