30 in 30 schedule: Breaking down teams in August

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: 30 in 30 schedule: Breaking down teams in August

Dallas

"2013-14 record: 40-31-11, 91 points, 5th in Central Division, 8th in Western Conference

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: lost to Anaheim Ducks in the first round

Additions: Jason Spezza, Ales Hemsky, Anders Lindback, Jussi Rynnas, Patrick Eaves

Subtractions: Alex Chiasson, Dustin Jeffrey, Aaron Rome (buyout)

Pending free agents: Cody Eakin (RFA), Brenden Dillon (RFA), Ray Whitney (UFA), Tim Thomas (UFA)

Promotion candidates: Jamie Oleksiak, Patrik Nemeth, Brett Ritchie

Top 2014 NHL Draft picks: Julius Honka (No. 14), Brett Pollock (No. 45)"

Nill isn't talking about respecting a winner, even though the Stars have earned respect across the NHL for what they did last season and the moves they made during the offseason. They acquired Jason Spezza from the Ottawa Senators, signed Ales Hemsky to a three-year contract and created goalie competition behind Kari Lehtonen by signing Anders Lindback and Jussi Rynnas.

Nill, though, is talking about respecting the art of winning -- as in don't take it for granted because the NHL, particularly in the Western Conference, has a way of humbling those who do.

Dallas was the fifth of five Central Division teams to make the playoffs last season, falling in line behind the Colorado Avalanche, St. Louis Blues, Chicago Blackhawks and Minnesota Wild. All of those teams expect to be better than they were last season, when each had at least seven more points than the Stars' 91. Dallas has to be better too.

"When you look at how young we are with some of our talent, it will be how they manage those expectations that are going to be placed upon them," Ruff said. "There's going to be no free nights."

The good news is Dallas fared well against the Avalanche, Blues, Blackhawks and Wild in the second half last season, going 5-2-1. Overall, Dallas was 12-10-6 against the other playoff teams in the West, including 5-2-2 against the three Pacific Division qualifiers"

The Stars were 23rd on the power play (15.9 percent) and 21st on the penalty kill (81.4 percent) last season. They need to improve in both areas.

The Stars have six returning defensemen, including the still unsigned Brenden Dillon, a restricted free agent, but Nill is hoping Nemeth, Oleksiak and Cameron Gaunce make a case for jobs in camp. Nemeth could have the edge after playing in the playoffs last season."

Central Division is tough!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Their D is still pretty suspect. Plus if Lehtonen goes down yet again, they may be in more trouble. Will they make the playoffs? Probably but they are still no contender in my view.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Benn was lights out last year.  Nichushkin came on late.  Spezza and Hemsky come as a package from Ottawa, but neither has much of a record of winning, and I'm always a bit skeptical of high point total players on bad teams.  Of course, a lot will come down to Tailor Sequins and whether or not he can be a clutch player for them.  If he becomes a younger verson of Spezza, they could get passed by the Predators who will have Rinne back, a very solid blueline, and likely more scoring than in recent years.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'm always a bit skeptical of high point total players on bad teams.   

That must be why we see eye to eye about Eriksson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Their D is still pretty suspect. Plus if Lehtonen goes down yet again, they may be in more trouble. Will they make the playoffs? Probably but they are still no contender in my view.

I keep thinking that the Stars don't have defense and goaltending but they were very close to taking out the Ducks in the playoffs. I think Nill is addressing some needs but eventually the D and goalie have to the fort. 

Dallas's puck possession game is going to be quite good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Dall azz has made the rebuild Edmonton would be best to do. Benn makes Seguin's skill work better. Stanley man love is an up and coming player. Spezza will love being not noticed . Reality sukks though, defense and goalies are a huge weak link. Is Tuukka the best of Finnish goalies? Me thinks so. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I keep thinking that the Stars don't have defense and goaltending but they were very close to taking out the Ducks in the playoffs. I think Nill is addressing some needs but eventually the D and goalie have to the fort. 

D a work in progress for sure Dog. Maybe one stud away.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

D a work in progress for sure Dog. Maybe one stud away.....

Yah I was surprised Nill didn't bring someone else in. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"The Central Division didn't get any worse during the League's annual offseason roster retooling and most feel it actually got better. The Blackhawks will again bring back most of their roster, but the front office has buzzed with activity this summer. Along with forging new contracts for Toews and Kane -- the mid-20s faces of the franchise -- Chicago also made a splash in free agency.

After the New York Rangers used a compliance buyout on veteran Brad Richards' contract, the Blackhawks swooped in July 1 to sign the 34-year-old center to a contract for one year and a reported $2 million.

The move should buy time for highly-touted 19-year-old Finnish center Teuvo Teravainen to develop, if needed, in the American Hockey League. It also gives coach Joel Quenneville a highly-skilled, experienced center to match with Brandon Saad and Kane on the second line.

The only problem is that Richards put the Blackhawks over the $69 million salary cap by roughly $2.2 million, according to CapGeek.com. That's with 23 players currently signed for the 2014-15 season, including Teravainen, who might not make the team to start out.

They'd still be over the cap without Teravainen, which means barring unforeseen injuries Chicago will likely have to move somebody before the Oct. 9 season-opener against the Dallas Stars. Names that have been speculated about most are left wing Patrick Sharp and defenseman Johnny Oduya, but general manager Stan Bowman cautioned against predicting the Blackhawks' next move."

2013-14 record: 46-21-15, 107 pts, 3rd in Central Division, 5th in Western Conference

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Lost to the Los Angeles Kings in seven games in the Western Conference Final

Additions: C Brad Richards, C Dennis Rasmussen

Subtractions: LW Brandon Bollig,

Pending FAs: D Sheldon Brookbank, C Michal Handzus, G Nikolai Khabibulin

Promotion Candidates: F Jeremy Morin, D Klas Dahlbeck, D Adam Clendening, D Stephen Johns, C Teuvo Teravainen, F Joakim Nordstrom

Top 2014 NHL Draft picks: C Nick Schmaltz (No. 20)"

Basically Chicago reloaded.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yah I was surprised Nill didn't bring someone else in. 

Blew his load on Spezza and Hemsky I guess...

"Iginla in, Stastny out as Avalanche lineup changes"

2013-14 record: 52-22-8, 112 pts, 1st in Central Division, 2nd in Western Conference

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Lost to Minnesota Wild in seven games in first round

Additions: C Daniel Briere, LW Troy Bourke, D Bruno Gervais, RW Jarome Iginla, D Maxim Noreau, D Zach Redmond, C Ben Street, D Brad Stuart, C Jesse Winchester

Subtractions: D Andre Benoit, G Jean-Sebastien Giguere, D Matt Hunwick, C Brad Malone, RW Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau, D Cory Sarich, C Paul Stastny

Pending Free Agents: D Tyson Barrie (RFA)

Promotion Candidates: D Chris Bigras, C Joey Hishon, D Duncan Siemens

Top 2014 NHL Draft picks: C Conner Bleackley (No. 23), D Kyle Wood (No. 84)"

FORWARDS

Gabriel Landeskog - Nathan MacKinnon - Jarome Iginla

Alex Tanguay - Matt Duchene - Ryan O'Reilly

Jamie McGinn - John Mitchell - Daniel Briere

Cody McLeod - Marc-Andre Cliche - Maxime Talbot

Jesse Winchester - Patrick Bordeleau

Matt Duchene was on the fringes of the MVP discussion early last season, and MacKinnon could end up there in 2014-15. He easily won the Calder Trophy and Colorado's ability to possess the puck better this season could hinge on him becoming a truly dominant player.

Duchene played a lot with Ryan O'Reilly last season, so Iginla could slide into MacKinnon's old spot while he moves over to replace Stastny. Alex Tanguay was hurt for much of 2013-14, but either he, Jamie McGinn or Briere could earn prime real estate next to Duchene and O'Reilly.

Colorado's problems with puck possession include a below-average defense and possibly flaws in the system/philosophy, but the bottom-six forwards were a big reason. If everyone is healthy, Briere's arrival could push McGinn or Maxime Talbot down to the fourth line, which was a sinkhole for possession last season. New addition Jesse Winchester could also claim a regular role and help.

DEFENSEMEN

Jan Hejda - Erik Johnson

Brad Stuart - Tyson Barrie*

Nick Holden - Nate Guenin

Ryan Wilson

Sakic called Stuart a "proven, quality defenseman" in a release after his signing, and later told reporters he could even see time next to Erik Johnson on the top pairing. Stuart's performance with the San Jose Sharks slipped in recent seasons, and the Los Angeles Kings targeted him with great success during the playoffs last season.

His arrival likely pushes Nate Guenin down to the third pairing with Nick Holden, who earned a three-year contract extension after being a late-bloomer. Johnson and Jan Hejda handle most of the tough assignments for Roy. The key to the whole group is probably Tyson Barrie, who put up very nice offensive numbers last season. He's unlikely to shoot nearly 13 percent again. He was also extremely sheltered in his role, so can he offer similar production while taking on tougher conditions? If so, that could also help the team's ability to possess the puck.

Assuming Barrie signs a one-way contract, the Avalanche will have eight defensemen on one-way contracts plus Holden, so someone (or two someones) from a group of Ryan Wilson, Zach Redmond and Maxim Noreau are not likely to start the season with the club. There are also young players like Stefan Elliott, Duncan Siemens and Chris Bigras to consider, but the situation with the one-way contracts makes this a crowded blue line.

GOALTENDERS

Semyon Varlamov

Reto Berra

Semyon Varalmov flashed plenty of raw talent during his time with the Washington Capitals, but consistency was a problem. Working with Roy and Francois Allaire helped him produce his best season in the League and he became a Vezina Trophy finalist.

Varlamov might need to be every bit as good in 2014-15. He had some help, especially early in the season, from Jean-Sebastien Giguere. He retired and Reto Berra, who struggled in two starts after arriving from Calgary, will be Varlamov's backup."

I give it till late October when BDC gets it's semi-annual "we should have kept that forward" thread.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think Dallas will make some noise in the playoffs next year. Loaded up front, and Lehtonen is a very good goalie. Jack Campbell is probably the second best young goalie out there, right behind Gibson. If he is forced into action I wouldn't be shocked if he took it and ran with it.

I was impressed with Lehtonen against the Ducks in the playoffs.

Depth to withstand injuries might be a problem on D but every franchise has that issue.

I was impressed with Lehtonen against the Ducks in the playoffs.

Depth to withstand injuries might be a problem on D but every franchise has that issue.

Yep, I like Lehtonen. too bad about his injury issues which seem to knock him out for long stretches. The guy is solid, even on crappy teams.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What the hell, jw...SanDog...the Bruins were up for the NHL.com 30 in 30 yesterday, and firkin' crickets from you two?!?

Off yer damn games, that's what.

Bruins prospect analysis.  Interesting that they put Pasterneck at 5th.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432

Also interesting that Camara comes in 10th, Ferlin 9th.  Donato, Griffith, Cunningham, Florek, Fraser, GrizzledChick, Arnesson and Knight all missed the cut.  Since I expect Fraser and or Florek to make the roster this year, that surprised me.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

While reading the 30/30 Bs articles, the only thing I could discredit was the remark on Caron not having reached his potential. I think he has!!! 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Pitts- I think they fall into a 4-6 position in the East. Either a slow start, or a huge falter mid season will be their downfall. 

Dallas- Will be better, but how much is the question. Every play-off team in the West is going to need at least very close, or a minimal of a 100pts to get into the play-offs. So, Dallas playing in that Central will have their hands full.

Rags- I have a funny feeling they're going to miss Stralman in a big way. So much so that they barely make the play-offs this year.

Chic- Front runners with LA!

Av's- have a over 100 pt season & Mckinnon battles for the Art Ross for at least a quarter of the season.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

Seriously, people.  4 articles dedicated to the Bruins 2014-15 season on NHL.com and no one wants to comment?

Summer.

OK, how about this then: I saw Guardians of the Galaxy on the weekend. Surprisingly, it was passably entertaining.  Unsurprisingly, the WWE's Batista was a better actor than Vin Diesel, though Diesel has never been better than as a motion-capture CGI character with one line he repeats throughout.  Second time this summer I've seen a movie based on a comic starring a former pro wrestler.

Winter can't come fast enough; I don't give a damn what the Starks say.

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Seriously, people.  4 articles dedicated to the Bruins 2014-15 season on NHL.com and no one wants to comment?

Summer.

OK, how about this then: I saw Guardians of the Galaxy on the weekend. Surprisingly, it was passably entertaining.  Unsurprisingly, the WWE's Batista was a better actor than Vin Diesel, though Diesel has never been better than as a motion-capture CGI character with one line he repeats throughout.  Second time this summer I've seen a movie based on a comic starring a former pro wrestler.

Winter can't come fast enough; I don't give a damn what the Starks say.

:(

But seriously, the articles were just generic bunk that we have been discussing ad nauseum on these boards all summer: Surprise loss to the Habs, cap issues, Iginla gone, Eriksson needs to step up, needing to rely on AHLers as roster fodder, Skinner needing to actually score a goal....etc. The only really weird part were the prospect listings in which the author appears to have some kind of mancrush on Ferlin....no idea why.

In response to Bookboy007's comment: What the hell, jw...SanDog...the Bruins were up for the NHL.com 30 in 30 yesterday, and firkin' crickets from you two?!?

Off yer damn games, that's what.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

LoL

I kept putting teams up to discuss but everyone was in full "summer mode". 

"2013-14 record: 54-19-9, 117 points. First in Atlantic Division, 1st in Eastern Conference. 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Lost 4-3 to Montreal Canadiens in Eastern Conference Second Round.

Additions: None

Subtractions: RW Jarome Iginla, G Chad Johnson, D Andrej Meszaros

Promotion candidates: C Ryan Spooner, C Alexander Khokhlachev, D David Warsofsky, G Niklas Svedberg

Top 2014 NHL Draft pick: F David Pastrnak (No. 25)" 

We are still at 3rd line "?" and Eriksson getting back to who he was before the concussions. The Bruins are set at D and in goal.

Where will Caron and Bartkowski go before Oct. 1st ?

Overall I think the Bruins will not be at the torrid goal pace they were without Iginla, in the beginning of the season. There is a good possibility that Marchand, Smith, Soderberg, Eriksson, Lucic and Krejci make up that 30 goal gap left by Jarome. I think the gap is filled.

What else ?

"1. Who will replace Jarome Iginla? -- Iginla was the new Nathan Horton. Now the Bruins need a new Iginla to skate with center David Krejci and left wing Milan Lucic. Among the Bruins' returning players, only Loui Eriksson and Smith seem to have the type of offensive skills it takes to play on the first line. Either player will give that line a different dynamic; Krejci is used to being surrounded by skill players with size and brute strength.

"5. Which six defensemen will Peter Chiarelli pick? -- The Bruins typically keep seven defensemen in the NHL but rarely play more than six. Right now, there are no fewer than nine players who could claim a spot in the top six.

Veterans Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk and Dennis Seidenberg are lineup fixtures. Dougie Hamilton and Krug earned the right to be in the top four with strong seasons. Then you have veterans Adam McQuaid and Matt Bartkowski, and second-year player Kevan Miller.

General manager Peter Chiarelli has cited prospect David Warsofsky as legitimate NHL player. If everyone's healthy, at some point there will have to be a trade. Boychuk, who's scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent, would bring the most in return and free the most salary-cap space. But Chiarelli could move a couple of the younger players."

Have we missed anything ?

Dog, what did you think of the prospects list. Interesting they were missing Fraser, Florek, and Lindblad no?

I think that Bruins beat writers like Kirk Ludeke and Matt Kalman consider Florek n Fraser to have graduated or they expect those two to be on the Bruins this season. Linbald wouldn't make my top 10 Bruins Prospects list but neither would Pasterneck because he hasn't played a lick in the AHL yet.

Good points. I partially agree with the first two but it is just interesting that other lists included even older "prospects" in their lists, including those signed from other leagues. That seemed odd.

As for Lindblad, he already has at list a little NHL "experience" which is why I thought he might make the list as opposed to the likes of Ferlin.

Just a few observations.

As for Lindblad, he already has at list a little NHL "experience" which is why I thought he might make the list as opposed to the likes of Ferlin.

Two things:

A. You can disagree with the so-called experts.

B. I look at who has the most talent to have an NHL career. Doesn't matter to me that a player has had a sniff in the NHL.

• Sections
    Shortcuts