#4 = CLASS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: #4 = CLASS!

Agree that it is going sideways Book, and I do see your point.

I just think that Minnesota may have gained an advantage this summer or may have hamstrung themselves for years to come.  Someone will rise to the top in this system and I don't believe it will be the same team that wins the spending competitions on FAs.  I think the smartest owners/teams will ignore, or at least manage, the most aggressive agents while building through the draft and development of in-house players.  You can deal with sleazy agents if you just need to suppliment your core, but it is much more difficult if you are trying to sign your talent through bidding wars.  

I think the new Bruin model is to draft, develop, sign existing talent before bidding wars can happen, and then pluck FAs when and where they can.  With that system in place, the inflation of some free agent signings can actually work to their advantage.  Let Buffalo and Philly overpay in bidding wars and then be unable to fill holes or reload within the constraints of the cap.

Maybe that's naive, but I think the influence of agents is limited.  A small parasite that seeks out the most desperate owners.  Those who have a practical system in place are much less vulnerable.

Thanks stevegm, and I regret not maintaining this courtesy in my last debate with you a while back.

P.S. Bookboy dyes his mustache.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to Re: #4 = CLASS!:
    [QUOTE]Jeez, Dog, just because they're felix's family doesn't mean they aren't a-holes.  Doesn't mean they are....  Just, you know, I'd ask felix's opinion before moving on.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Point taken, Bookboy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

And after all is said, I still belive that #4 is a class act. Proud to be a Bruin !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #4 = CLASS! : Wow, that's a long response to a pretty quick statement, but I'll try to follow up....  Plenty of guilt to go around Book, and I'm not trying to let agents off the hook entirely.  But realistically, of course agents are going to try to make top dollar and that is never going to change.  If you're looking for a solution to the problem it has to start with the owners -- they have the power to say 'no' and some already do.  Do you think agents are really going to get together and decide that part of their job duty is to assess what is most fair for all parties involved, even if that means less dough in the contracts? It all starts and ends with the owners.  Sure, everyone wants to win and you need good players to win.  That's a given.  But who says you have to make huge free-agents signing to get good players?  I think the prevailing model of building a championship team is mostly through draft/development with only a fraction on the free agent market.  If an agent demands too much and fails to get a contract, that is a great way to lose your clients and ruin your career as an agent.  Sleazy agents can only succeed with the cooperation of a stupid owner, whereas stupid owners would always be able to find a million sleazy agents if they want.   The solution is to stop the stupid owners from writing the checks, instead of asking agents to have a moral epiphany where they turn down huge contracts because it isn't good for the game.  Be realistic.  The big contracts lead to failure as often as they lead to success.  The owners need to evolve and learn to spend smarter.  Or they will lose.  You seem to assume that overspending helps them win more and make more money.  Ask the Islanders about that.  The system works, sometimes. Blaming the agents is like blaming the car salesman who talked me into buying a Corvette to drive my kids to school in.  He was so gosh-darned convincing that I bought a car I can't afford.  Who's fault is that? Let's call for a little personal responsibility instead of getting duped by agents and then crying foul because we lost our money.  These are successful businessmen too, not some crack addict at a pawn shop.  They're big boys.  You write the check, you are responsible for it.  The problem is with the owners.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Last two posts is exactly the way I feel.  The owners created this mess by breaking their own rules.  Now they wanna try and fix it again.  This is gonna get ugly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #4 = CLASS! : Last two posts is exactly the way I feel.  The owners created this mess by breaking their own rules.  Now they wanna try and fix it again.  This is gonna get ugly.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

If Parise's agent advised him to sign with New Jersey during the season and Suter's agent advised him to stay with Nashville during the season, the Minnesota absurdity never would have happened. 

As for the owner's creating this mess:  The players got their lower UFA age, which has players leaving their clubs in their primes, driving costs sky high.  And many owners haven't participated in the contract craziness, so it wouldn't be "the owners" but "some owners" if anything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

[QUOTE]Like the tough guys who talk shi- about him from behind their keyboards?
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Well said bookboy. Too bad for him, you're on his ignore list. He would have liked.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #4 = CLASS! : If Parise's agent advised him to sign with New Jersey during the season and Suter's agent advised him to stay with Nashville during the season, the Minnesota absurdity never would have happened.  As for the owner's creating this mess:  The players got their lower UFA age, which has players leaving their clubs in their primes, driving costs sky high.  And many owners haven't participated in the contract craziness, so it wouldn't be "the owners" but "some owners" if anything.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

That's way too simplistic and you know it.  "Some owners", is a valid point, but the fact remains there is a "cap" in place.  If an owner spends too much on any particular player, it makes them accountable, not only economically, but competitively.  I think that's a pretty reasonable arrangement, and see no need to give the owners additional protection from the perils of free enterprise.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #4 = CLASS! : If Parise's agent advised him to sign with New Jersey during the season and Suter's agent advised him to stay with Nashville during the season, the Minnesota absurdity never would have happened.  As for the owner's creating this mess:  The players got their lower UFA age, which has players leaving their clubs in their primes, driving costs sky high.  And many owners haven't participated in the contract craziness, so it wouldn't be "the owners" but "some owners" if anything.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

What makes you think that Parise didn't want to leave NJ and Suter didn't want to leave Nashville?  You make it sound like the agents have both the owners and the players on puppet strings.  I think Parise wanted to leave NJ for more money and a new city.  Minnesota was happy to offer that and the agent was happy to facilitate it.  Free market choices, except that they are already constrained by the salary cap, so Minnesota is taking a significant risk.  They'll sink or swim on that risk.  Sounds fair.

Agree it is 'some' owners, not all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: #4 = CLASS!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: #4 = CLASS! :   And many owners haven't participated in the contract craziness, so it wouldn't be "the owners" but "some owners" if anything. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Agreed

Sections
Shortcuts